Chicago Bears Roster-Pre Camp

ASHKUM BEAR

I put together a list of the Bears current roster, color coded by contract expiration and sorted by position. I hoped it would not be reduced, but I am not great at uploading photos or spreadsheets.

*Red is for players on their final year under contract. Nearly half the team is in the red, so expect another big year of turnover.

*WR, TE, and QB are heavy red - depending on AJ resigning after this season, WR may be a huge need. TE I already figure we will address soon also. QB we will need to address a solid #2.

bears.gif

Actually 52 players are not red, so counting practice squad and cuts, we will probably have 15-20 new players next year as well. Of all the red names, only 15 or so are actually going to be on the 53-man roster.

So to me, it seems we are in a great position, with only younger players or solid veterans signed longer than a year or two. We don't really have any bad contracts left on the books going into 2017. The most dead money we would have if we needed to cut a player next year (outside of rookie deals) would be Cutler and Freeman who both have $2mil in dead money if cut. Every other veteran player could be cut for less, which is awesome.

Honestly, if we are not in the playoff hunt near the deadline, I would love to move Houston, Young, and potentially Royal or Gould for draft picks. Now I understand that no one may want them, but if there was a trade market and we were not in the hunt, then the draft picks would be more valuable to us going forward.

Actually 52 players are not red, so counting practice squad and cuts, we will probably have 15-20 new players next year as well. Of all the red names, only 15 or so are actually going to be on the 53-man roster.

So to me, it seems we are in a great position, with only younger players or solid veterans signed longer than a year or two. We don't really have any bad contracts left on the books going into 2017. The most dead money we would have if we needed to cut a player next year (outside of rookie deals) would be Cutler and Freeman who both have $2mil in dead money if cut. Every other veteran player could be cut for less, which is awesome.

Honestly, if we are not in the playoff hunt near the deadline, I would love to move Houston, Young, and potentially Royal or Gould for draft picks. Now I understand that no one may want them, but if there was a trade market and we were not in the hunt, then the draft picks would be more valuable to us going forward.

I think we are in decent shape. A lot will depend on this years draft class and also If we can find away to sign Alshon. If he produces and stays healthy, sign him and cut Royal (if we need cap...which we shouldn't.)

If AJ stays, the major holes on the team will be at TE and backup QB. The draft can be used for that and plugging depth at other less talented positions.

*WR, TE, and QB are heavy red - depending on AJ resigning after this season, WR may be a huge need. QB we will need to address a solid #2.

bears.gif

We have a fine back up QB already in Cutler. We need to find an actual starter. Lololololo...?

But in all seriousness I agree with your last statement in that I think we'll be contending for a playoff spot. And I feel White will do pretty good, thus making our WR situation not as dire.

We have a fine back up QB already in Cutler. We need to find an actual starter. Lololololo...?

But in all seriousness I agree with your last statement in that I think we'll be contending for a playoff spot. And I feel White will do pretty good, thus making our WR situation not as dire.

I am all for finding a QB that can make us forget about Jay, but it takes a lot of rights to make and if it were easy this wouldn't be the nfl.. White will still need help opposite to draw coverages and AJ is a perfect complimate. I'd like to keep him around but if he wants to go to warmer weather than so be it.

I think we are in decent shape. A lot will depend on this years draft class and also If we can find away to sign Alshon. If he produces and stays healthy, sign him and cut Royal (if we need cap...which we shouldn't.)

If AJ stays, the major holes on the team will be at TE and backup QB. The draft can be used for that and plugging depth at other less talented positions.

If he stays healthy they pay him, if not we move on. I think the key to all of this is White shining and I think that will happen. AJ has not been much of a team player so he may not be a great fit going forward. Fox likes team players and he is all about himself. So a lot will be answered after this year. If Royal can stay healthy this year, he will have a very good year similar to two years ago. I think if Braveman shows anything this will be Royals last year, the desire to be younger will continue.

Pace is really sticking to his plan to rebuild with youth. I'm expecting some good things from this year's rookie class. I don't predict stars but feel confident we have many who will show they belong on an NFL field. If that holds true then this contract situation gives Pace the ability to long-term sign the right players once he knows who they are.

Pace is really sticking to his plan to rebuild with youth. I'm expecting some good things from this year's rookie class. I don't predict stars but feel confident we have many who will show they belong on an NFL field. If that holds true then this contract situation gives Pace the ability to long-term sign the right players once he knows who they are.

We have some interesting defensive prospects I am anxious to watch. Actually this whole class can be big contributors to a playoff run in the future.