Willie Young Extended 2 years

madlithuanian

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/...d-willie-young/

Bears extend Willie Young

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 30, 2016, 9:11 AM EDT

Miami Dolphins v Chicago Bears Getty Images

Bears pass rusher Willie Young will be sticking in Chicago for a few more years.

Young and the Bears have agreed to a two-year extension through 2018, Adam Caplan of ESPN reports. Young had been entering the final season of the three-year contract he signed in 2014. The 30-year-old Young says he hopes to retire as a Bear.

Last year Young led the Bears with 12 tackles for loss and was second on the Bears with 6.5 sacks. He also intercepted a pass and returned it 39 yards, and knocked down two passes.

A 2010 seventh-round pick of the Lions, Young played four years in Detroit before leaving for Chicago in free agency. He had a career-high 10 sacks in 2014.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/...d-willie-young/

Bears extend Willie Young

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 30, 2016, 9:11 AM EDT

Miami Dolphins v Chicago Bears Getty Images

Bears pass rusher Willie Young will be sticking in Chicago for a few more years.

Young and the Bears have agreed to a two-year extension through 2018, Adam Caplan of ESPN reports. Young had been entering the final season of the three-year contract he signed in 2014. The 30-year-old Young says he hopes to retire as a Bear.

Last year Young led the Bears with 12 tackles for loss and was second on the Bears with 6.5 sacks. He also intercepted a pass and returned it 39 yards, and knocked down two passes.

A 2010 seventh-round pick of the Lions, Young played four years in Detroit before leaving for Chicago in free agency. He had a career-high 10 sacks in 2014.

Intersting. I enjoy watching Young play, but figured with McPhee, Houston, and now Floyd signed long term they would allow his contract to expire. Do they keep this group through 2018, or maybe they trade/cut Houston this year or next? If they all produce and stay happy as a core, it is good knowing we have them for 3 years.

Willie is a good guy, both as a player and as a person. Cleary he's what Fox wants in his veteran players. I never expected he'd fit into this new system but he proved me wrong late last year but I'm glad we have him around a couple more years.

Intersting. I enjoy watching Young play, but figured with McPhee, Houston, and now Floyd signed long term they would allow his contract to expire. Do they keep this group through 2018, or maybe they trade/cut Houston this year or next? If they all produce and stay happy as a core, it is good knowing we have them for 3 years.

I'm ecstatic about them keeping Sweet Willie. He's been a solid player since coming over from Detroit. I thought the same thing others did and that he wouldn't last due to the position change. In fact wasn't he even talking that he wanted traded once? No matter. He's with us for awhile longer now.

I would have figured he would be the odd man out but with this signing, and there is an odd man to be, my prediction is McPhee. I don't have faith he can maintain his early season performance from last year. Lest we forget that he's also currently on the PUP list.

I'm ecstatic about them keeping Sweet Willie. He's been a solid player since coming over from Detroit. I thought the same thing others did and that he wouldn't last due to the position change. In fact wasn't he even talking that he wanted traded once? No matter. He's with us for awhile longer now.

I would have figured he would be the odd man out but with this signing, and there is an odd man to be, my prediction is McPhee. I don't have faith he can maintain his early season performance from last year. Lest we forget that he's also currently on the PUP list.

McPhee is a beast. Ain't going anywhere unless he can't play.

McPhee isnt going anywhere, it is just a matter of health. They will not let good players get away. They will just bring Floyd along slower, if Young and Houston play well and McPhee stays healthy.

McPhee is a solid piece and leader on D, but can he stay on the field? He will be brought along slowly like they allowed Houston and Young last season, so hopefully he is strong at the end of the season. It will be interesting to watch how Fangio uses his assets. He is one of the best, so I see a lot of 4-3 fronts with Houston/Young/McPhee as DE's and Floyd at OLB. If McPhee doesn't regain his form after the season, then they will have to revaluate his situation, but I think he is safe this year.