Oline Changes

AZ54

Coaches and GM saw what we saw and two Oline were released today:

Cut: Buchholz, Williams both looked seriously overmatched in the first game

Signed: Khaled Holmes C, 17 games, 9 starts with Colts , Shelley Smith OG, played in 36 games

Coaches and GM saw what we saw and two Oline were released today:

Cut: Buchholz, Williams both looked seriously overmatched in the first game

Signed: Khaled Holmes C, 17 games, 9 starts with Colts , Shelley Smith OG, played in 36 games

Good to see them cleaning up the roster at every opportunity. Quality depth is important.

Good to see them cleaning up the roster at every opportunity. Quality depth is important.

That is one of the pluses in this regime, they see what we see and keep turning the roster over until they get it right. The roster was in such bad shape when they took over, it will take one more draft class and FAgency to finally get to a competitive team. I wish it was different but that is the reality of todays Bears team.

The fact that the OL was already questionable, and they played like garbage, just further supports the fact that they should have paid some attention to it in FA since it was not going to be a priority in the draft. The draft was clearly about giving the defense weapons.

The fact that the OL was already questionable, and they played like garbage, just further supports the fact that they should have paid some attention to it in FA since it was not going to be a priority in the draft. The draft was clearly about giving the defense weapons.

Perhaps you mean paid more attention (or spent more) on it. In FA we signed Bobbie Massie, Ted Larsen, then Ramirez, and Chandler who both retired. Those last two are the spots we're really hurting.

We did drafted Whitehair in Rd 2 and we were reliant upon Grasu (last year's 3rd Rd pick) at least being n the mix to start or being a solid backup OC. I think the biggest question has always been the lack of attention toward backup OT. Other than that they brought in several veterans and given their resumes we should have come out of this with a couple good backup interior players.

It is hard to be confident but we now have 4 veterans competing for backup spots: Adams, Silatolu, and just added Holmes and Shelley. Lots of question marks among all these players. This competition will run all the way through the 4th quarter of the last preseason game. Even then we might add someone else.

Perhaps you mean paid more attention (or spent more) on it. In FA we signed Bobbie Massie, Ted Larsen, then Ramirez, and Chandler who both retired. Those last two are the spots we're really hurting.

We did drafted Whitehair in Rd 2 and we were reliant upon Grasu (last year's 3rd Rd pick) at least being n the mix to start or being a solid backup OC. I think the biggest question has always been the lack of attention toward backup OT. Other than that they brought in several veterans and given their resumes we should have come out of this with a couple good backup interior players.

It is hard to be confident but we now have 4 veterans competing for backup spots: Adams, Silatolu, and just added Holmes and Shelley. Lots of question marks among all these players. This competition will run all the way through the 4th quarter of the last preseason game. Even then we might add someone else.

Interpret however you wish. But grabbing a few guys who are high reward, low risk is great if one pans out. It's bad when two retire and the others perform minimally. They should have never cut Slausson. Without cutting him, maybe they don't have to take the risk on one of those other veteran toss-up players. The Bears had Alshon, White, Royal, and a few other promising guys, yet still decided to at least spend minimal time on WR. They should do the same with OL.

This has been proven for over a decade.

Good to great OL + Average to bad skill positions > good to great skill positions + Average to bad OL

Interpret however you wish. But grabbing a few guys who are high reward, low risk is great if one pans out. It's bad when two retire and the others perform minimally. They should have never cut Slausson. Without cutting him, maybe they don't have to take the risk on one of those other veteran toss-up players. The Bears had Alshon, White, Royal, and a few other promising guys, yet still decided to at least spend minimal time on WR. They should do the same with OL.

This has been proven for over a decade.

Good to great OL + Average to bad skill positions > good to great skill positions + Average to bad OL

I thought they did a lot to enhance the OL. Shit happened though. Slaussen became a mistake...

I thought they did a lot to enhance the OL. Shit happened though. Slaussen became a mistake...

Matt Slauson was the straw that broke the camels back with me and the Bears for now. He's 30 years old, and was my favorite Bear. If they were deadset on getting Whitehair, they should have kept him for competition and leadership while Grasu and Whitehair developed, as he can play both positions exceptionally well.

Right now, I am following them for fantasy reasons. All of the Bears starters are undervalued at the moment, butthat line is making me think twice.