Bears vs Chiefs Preseason Game #3 Game Thread

adam

This is a big game as a dress rehearsal for the season. Most starters won't play next week.

Bears win toss then defer (never understand that in preseason).

With defense on field first, Smith dinks and dunks us to death to right past mid field, but Bears hold strong and force a punt from 42.

Young with a nice pursuit tackle across field, and no real broken tackles or long plays.

Run defense very stout so far, 4 runs for 6 yards.

On first offensive drive:

Mariani for 8 yards on first down, Langford goes nowhere on 2nd, then breaks a tackle behind the LoS on 3rd and gets the first. Nice to see the yards after contact.

Langford with a great run off the right side for 10 and another first. Larsen with a false start and then Langford with nowhere to go on a stretch play to the left. A quick throw to White for 3 on 2nd. Cutler scrambles up the middle on 3rd, but doesn't have enough for a first.

On the punt, O'Donnell hits it for 49, but they get a 18 yard return. I am still waiting for all those awesome 60-70 yards punts from O'Donnell.

I hate to say it, but this offense looks like it may be among the bottom 5 worst in the league next year, especially if Long misses time. There is a severe lack of talent with that unit. Outside of Jeffery and Long, there isn't a single person you can point to who is scares you.

And I'm seriously done with Ted Larsen. He does a better job fighting with his own teammates than he does blocking his opponents. I think he would be an addition by subtraction if the Bears chose to cut him and sign somebody else. I can't stand him.

2nd defensive series:

Bears defense struggling with quick throws. DB's not playing close enough to stop them.

Coverage sack by the defense, Hicks with the one-armed sack. He is noticeable on every play.

Bears with coverage and pressure, but Smith eludes 3 players to get a long first on 3rd and long. Not good.

Freeman with a HUGE stuff up the middle, then looks to get hurt as he celebrates (player pushed him from behind when he was bent over).

HJQ, Hurst, and Freeman stuff a short dig route and it forces KC to kick a short FG.

So far, I been impressed with Freeman, Hicks, and HJQ. Young and Houston both have been getting pressure too.

I hate to say it, but this offense looks like it may be among the bottom 5 worst in the league next year, especially if Long misses time. There is a severe lack of talent with that unit. Outside of Jeffery and Long, there isn't a single person you can point to who is scares you.

And I'm seriously done with Ted Larsen. He does a better job fighting with his own teammates than he does blocking his opponents. I think he would be an addition by subtraction if the Bears chose to cut him and sign somebody else. I can't stand him.

Offense still looks really basic. Very few shots down field yet.

I agree on Larsen, he is not a starter.

On first down, nice protection, but Cutler short hops a deep in to Jeffery for an incompletion. Langford with a nice cutback for 5 on 2nd (nice to see him not running into the backs of his blockers).

On 3rd, Cutler is sacked, a double blitz where Langford picks up one, but the 2nd blitzer is unblocked. Seemed like confusion between Edison and Larsen.

Now only a 44 yard punt for O'Donnell, and a 15 yard return. I can punt 44 yards; we really need a better punter. A net under 40 is unacceptable and that one was a net of 29.

On first down, nice protection, but Cutler short hops a deep in to Jeffery for an incompletion. Langford with a nice cutback for 5 on 2nd (nice to see him not running into the backs of his blockers).

On 3rd, Cutler is sacked, a double blitz where Langford picks up one, but the 2nd blitzer is unblocked. Seemed like confusion between Edison and Larsen.

Now only a 44 yard punt for O'Donnell, and a 15 yard return. I can punt 44 yards; we really need a better punter. A net under 40 is unacceptable and that one was a net of 29.

I continue to be unimpressed with O'Donell as a punter. For somebody who's supposed to have a strong leg, he really struggles to kick it deep.

Offense from the 20, just brutal. Langford nowhere to go on first for no gain. Cutler to a wide open Jeffery who drops the ball after it hits his hands on 2nd. Would've easily been a huge gain if not an 80 yard TD. Cutler scrambles but is contained for a short gain on 3rd.

Offense looks like crap.....

O'Donnell punts and finally breaks 50, but they still get a 9 yard return.

I continue to be unimpressed with O'Donell as a punter. For somebody who's supposed to have a strong leg, he really struggles to kick it deep.

If he can truly kick it 60+, then there is no reason why he can't kick it 40-50 and out of bounds every time.

Bears with pressure but Smith completes to Kelce. Unrein with a personal foul (free 15 yards), then Smith scrambles for 8. Bears with a nice pass break up on 2nd, but can't stop the shallow cross for a first (even though you knew it was coming). A short rush, and back to back incompletions ends the drive with another red-zone FG. A lot pressure coming on last 2 plays.

The one thing that is more noticeable on defense is that we are definitely swarming more. Almost every play we have multiples defenders making the tackle or contesting the ball.

Down only by 6, but it feels like we have been dominated. One TD drive away from the lead.

On 1st Down, Rodgers runs for 2 (not much room and 8 in the box). On 2nd Down, pass batted down at the LoS. On 3rd Down, Cutler throws high and incomplete and we have our 3rd 3-and-out.

Offense looks like a train wreck hitting a dumpster fire.

O'Donnell hears me and kicks one 61 that is returned 12 yards.

So how the day has looked on offense, KC does a squib kick, we get the ball inside KC's zone with 10 seconds left:

1st play, Alshon gets called for a false start.

2nd play, Mariani slips and misses short pass from Cutler.

3rd play, with only 3 rushers, Cutler is stripped and fumbles and Bears recover to end half.

At this point, the team is unwatchable.

Offense under Low-gains is lousy.

D secondary stinks.

Major improvement needed or we're 6-10 this year.

No way we are 6-10, no way. 4 may even be pushing it. We must be playing to draft Watson because it is hard to play that bad.