OG Josh Sitton signed by Bears *updated*

Pixote

Packers cut Josh Sitton after failing to trade him

With question marks around K Long's shoulder, in order to return Lawson to Center, I would not mind seeing the Bear's signing Sitton. I think he would be a valuable spot starter and depth for the OL.

However, I would not be surprised if GB resigns him at a lower contract number.

I'm in...

Packers cut Josh Sitton after failing to trade him

With question marks around K Long's shoulder, in order to return Lawson to Center, I would not mind seeing the Bear's signing Sitton. I think he would be a valuable spot starter and depth for the OL.

However, I would not be surprised if GB resigns him at a lower contract number.

He's in for a visit.

I'm not sure why he'd want to be here. I assume he still wants a shot at being a starter and he won't beat out Long. Are we going to bench a promising rookie in Whitehair? If he's willing to come in as a backup OG and wait while he learns the offense? If so, then this would be a good deal.

Part B) Protecting rodgers is paramount to the success of the Packers offense. Salary cap issues aren't a big deal right now IF he's still the player he was. Reportedly the Packers had around $10mil in cap space before the cut. This means he's not nearly as good as he used to be. Next year is not a concern here as he was a free agent after the season. They got nothing in return now, but they could have had at least had him as a good insurance policy at backup OG. For a team expecting to compete for the Superbowl that seems like something worth paying for. So again, he's not nearly as good as he used to be.

Sitton is a regular probowler, if you can acquire someone like that, you do it as long as the price is right. Also, we don't know the extent of Long's injury.

Having too many good players is not a bad problem to have.

Which is exactly why this cut by the Packers makes little sense.

I'm not sure why he'd want to be here. I assume he still wants a shot at being a starter and he won't beat out Long. Are we going to bench a promising rookie in Whitehair? If he's willing to come in as a backup OG and wait while he learns the offense? If so, then this would be a good deal.

Part B) Protecting rodgers is paramount to the success of the Packers offense. Salary cap issues aren't a big deal right now IF he's still the player he was. Reportedly the Packers had around $10mil in cap space before the cut. This means he's not nearly as good as he used to be. Next year is not a concern here as he was a free agent after the season. They got nothing in return now, but they could have had at least had him as a good insurance policy at backup OG. For a team expecting to compete for the Superbowl that seems like something worth paying for. So again, he's not nearly as good as he used to be.

He can play center

He can play center

I couldn't find that on his resume but if true putting him in between Whitehair and Long would give us a lot of strength up the middle. With Massie on the right side as well I could see the run game taking off in a big way. I'm not a Larsen fan after what I've seen this preseason.

Sounds like the Bears just signed him to a big deal. Biggs is reporting it could be north of 7M/yr. Wow

What does this mean for the development of Whitehair? I'm sure they'll be playing him at center now, but that isn't his natural position. As a 2nd round pick, he needs to matter.

You are correct and its supposedly a 3 year deal.

They are saying Whitehair will compete at center against Larsen. i say we start Whitehair.

Peace :dabears

Wow, never expected this. After all the turmoil we've been through with the Oline now we have Sitton, Whitehair, Long as our interior. Yes, I'm kicking Larsen to the curb/bench whatever. I like Whitehair a lot better than Larsen. Despite any rookie learnings on assignments he's just flat out better as a blocker even at C. With guys like Sitton on his left and Long on his right he'll have enough help early on until he gets it down.

One training camp comment that stood out the most about Whitehair was when Eddie Goldman said that he thinks Whitehair is stronger than he is. Let's get this bus running!

-------------------

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/chi/chicago-bears

Matt Bowen

ESPN Staff Writer

Josh Sitton is an immediate upgrade for the Bears offensive line. That gives Chicago one of the top guard combos in the NFL with Kyle Long playing on the right side. Key for a team that wants to lead with the run game. Pound the ball.

-----------------

FWIW I went to a few Packers message boards to see what their fans were saying (mainly because of my concern that he's not playing as well as in the past). Sitton has had some injury issues especially last year. Most worrisome is his back which has caused him to miss a lot of practice. It seems it also kept him on the bench for much of their preseason yet even last year he always played through the injuries. Sutton lost weight this offseason so it would be less of an issue. Nobody said a single word about him not looking good in training camp, or what limited action he saw in the preseason. In fact, most said he was still their best Olineman.

The Packers have a bunch of players needing new contracts next year and obviously Sitton was not in their long term plans. Why cut him now? They had enough cap space unless there are a couple deals they want to get done now versus next offseason. Packers are supposedly looking for a backup OG now so it's not like they had two good backup OG when they made this decision.

As long as it is Whitehair going to C and Larsen going to the bench then I'm happy.

Wow, never expected this. After all the turmoil we've been through with the Oline now we have Sitton, Whitehair, Long as our interior. Yes, I'm kicking Larsen to the curb/bench whatever. I like Whitehair a lot better than Larsen. Despite any rookie learnings on assignments he's just flat out better as a blocker even at C. With guys like Sitton on his left and Long on his right he'll have enough help early on until he gets it down.

One training camp comment that stood out the most about Whitehair was when Eddie Goldman said that he thinks Whitehair is stronger than he is. Let's get this bus running!

-------------------

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/chi/chicago-bears

Matt Bowen

ESPN Staff Writer

Josh Sitton is an immediate upgrade for the Bears offensive line. That gives Chicago one of the top guard combos in the NFL with Kyle Long playing on the right side. Key for a team that wants to lead with the run game. Pound the ball.

-----------------

FWIW I went to a few Packers message boards to see what their fans were saying (mainly because of my concern that he's not playing as well as in the past). Sitton has had some injury issues especially last year. Most worrisome is his back which has caused him to miss a lot of practice. It seems it also kept him on the bench for much of their preseason yet even last year he always played through the injuries. Sutton lost weight this offseason so it would be less of an issue. Nobody said a single word about him not looking good in training camp, or what limited action he saw in the preseason. In fact, most said he was still their best Olineman.

The Packers have a bunch of players needing new contracts next year and obviously Sitton was not in their long term plans. Why cut him now? They had enough cap space unless there are a couple deals they want to get done now versus next offseason. Packers are supposedly looking for a backup OG now so it's not like they had two good backup OG when they made this decision.

As long as it is Whitehair going to C and Larsen going to the bench then I'm happy.

Even though we have a solid rookie in Whitehair, Sitton is a total upgrade, besides Longs injury could end his season at any time, so this is a great addition to the team. Let Whitehair get his lumps early and then if Long blows up we at least have Larson to fill in. Great move, Sitton was 2nd team probowl last year and its hard to say why GB let him go but I suppect they are looking to the future.I would guess Rodgers didnt like the move.

Even though we have a solid rookie in Whitehair, Sitton is a total upgrade, besides Longs injury could end his season at any time, so this is a great addition to the team. Let Whitehair get his lumps early and then if Long blows up we at least have Larson to fill in. Great move, Sitton was 2nd team probowl last year and its hard to say why GB let him go but I suppect they are looking to the future.I would guess Rodgers didnt like the move.

I didn't think Long's injury was that serious. I've heard he has a labrum issue but is torn?

Huge move assuming the cut was only for money reasons and not his back or something else.

Sitton has played a little center too, but I expect him at LG.

I think it is a combination of many thinks. There are 3 OLineman with contracts up this year and they will not be able to pay all of them.They have been drafting OL the last few years and you have to transition to younger at some point in time.

I read somewhere that sitton was obviously wanting a long term deal and green bay wasn't going to give it. With sitton entering the last yr of his deal green bay was concerned he would become a cancer in the locker room. So in order to avoid that they dumped him.

I'm shocked at them cutting him as well.