3-4 vs 4-3

adam

So I know this is basically semantics nowadays and we are in sub-packages that take this away 60% of the time, but do you think we have the personnel to play the 3-4 more effectively than the 4-3?

I can't tell if it is scheme, personnel, or the injuries, but we never have a consistent pass rush. Yeah we have had a few sacks, but it seems like we rarely have pressure outside of those plays that look more like coverage sacks.

What do you think? Stick with Fangio and the 3-4 next year, or go back to a traditional set?

I have no idea...

All I know is we are not sending enough guys... This is largely due to the 4 we are sending right now are not studly enough. Maybe onve we get some of the injured back, that could change. But it seemed like when we brought a blitz...it worked. When we didn't, Luck read "War & Peace" back there before hitting Hilton for a huge gain every time.

So I know this is basically semantics nowadays and we are in sub-packages that take this away 60% of the time, but do you think we have the personnel to play the 3-4 more effectively than the 4-3?

I can't tell if it is scheme, personnel, or the injuries, but we never have a consistent pass rush. Yeah we have had a few sacks, but it seems like we rarely have pressure outside of those plays that look more like coverage sacks.

What do you think? Stick with Fangio and the 3-4 next year, or go back to a traditional set?

I don't think it matters. We don't have many guys who are good pass rushers and as a result, we don't get a consistent pass rush. We also have a really young secondary and in general limited talent back there, so if we blitzed like crazy, we would put the secondary in a very bad spot. Our best pass rusher (McPhee) has not played this year and our second best pass rusher (Willie Young) is a good motor guy, but not even close to being a #1 type pass rusher. We also are missing Goldman, who can provide a nice push from the interior.

Bottom line, we aren't seeing a consistent pass rush (technically we had quite a few sacks yesterday, but the Colts oline is horrid) because we don't have talent. Hopefully Floyd can get healthy and show something as the season progresses.