QB Decision

adam

Based on Fox's comments last week, if Hoyer played well this week, he would keep the starting job. It will be interesting to see if they keep Cutler in street clothes.

I am kind of torn on this. Do you play Cutler due to salary (and possibly as an audition), or do you play Hoyer with the intent to keep him as a bridging strategy going forward? Cutler is the oldest player on the roster now with Gould gone.

Our Firesale would be a clown car on fire.... Who do we have that someone else would want? Young ($4.1mil)? Porter($4mil)? Miller($2.5mil)?

I play Hoyer. The is a huge difference in the way the offense looks with Hoyer at QB (never thought I'd ever type that). Sure, it's not perfect, but it's not as unstable either. This team is in full rebuild mode, we know what we have with Cutler and his inconsistent play does not help young guys develop. With Hoyer, we also know what we've got, the ol' "not going to win you any games, not going to lose you any either". But he is more consistent than Cutler, I believe, spreads the ball around more evenly, and you can see the difference.

I've never been a fan of playing a player based on his salary. Their salary is a sunk cost, doesn't matter if they play or not (minus any incentives obviously). You play the guy that gives your team the best chance to win. And maybe that doesn't even mean winning this year, but winning down the road because young guys develop and aren't hindered by a qb that is out the door anyway.

I play Hoyer. The is a huge difference in the way the offense looks with Hoyer at QB (never thought I'd ever type that). Sure, it's not perfect, but it's not as unstable either. This team is in full rebuild mode, we know what we have with Cutler and his inconsistent play does not help young guys develop. With Hoyer, we also know what we've got, the ol' "not going to win you any games, not going to lose you any either". But he is more consistent than Cutler, I believe, spreads the ball around more evenly, and you can see the difference.

I've never been a fan of playing a player based on his salary. Their salary is a sunk cost, doesn't matter if they play or not (minus any incentives obviously). You play the guy that gives your team the best chance to win. And maybe that doesn't even mean winning this year, but winning down the road because young guys develop and aren't hindered by a qb that is out the door anyway.

Yeah I agree, and it does feel odd saying Hoyer has looked good but looking at his game logs, he has had some good runs before.

Absolutely agree. I hate the idea of playing a player because of contract and we all basically know Jay is gone at end of yr. Plus right now hoyer gives us best chance to win which is all the coaching staff should care about. Hoyer is 1 of like 3 guys who have yet to throw an interception on the yr and have over 100 pass attempts. Right now this is a no brainer. And I agree that goes seem odd to even say

Absolutely agree. I hate the idea of playing a player because of contract and we all basically know Jay is gone at end of yr. Plus right now hoyer gives us best chance to win which is all the coaching staff should care about. Hoyer is 1 of like 3 guys who have yet to throw an interception on the yr and have over 100 pass attempts. Right now this is a no brainer. And I agree that goes seem odd to even say

Agreed 100%. Stay with Hoyer. Would love to be able to move Cutler for anything right now.

Peace :dabears