Misery loves company

adam

The Bears have actually played some decent football in almost every game (not vs DAL) this season. We started the season taking a 14-13 lead into the 4th quarter against Houston, were only down 9-7 at halftime against PHI, went into the 4th at IND down by 6, and shutout the Jaguars for 3 quarters. With all the injuries, we have actually showed some potential.

I don't know if you can say the same for Cleveland, who looks destined for 0-16; SF, who even with Kaepernick looks like a 2 win team, and after tonight, you can put the Jets into the "sucks ass" category too. I don't think we are as bad as these 3 teams right now (not saying much, I know).

So when does Marshall go off and lose it?

Forte is now averaging 3.5 YPC and is on pace for his lowest totals for a full season since his rookie year. So at least Pace got that one right. I know some people wanted Bowles (I think I was in that camp), but man he doesn't look very good right now.

Just watched a Gamepass replay of the Jags game. I see a team with a good foundation of young players. We lack stars.

Losing Goldman on defense was a huge loss. Young players like Washington and Bullard look a bit better each game as far as 2-gap responsibility, but neither is showing anything close to what we need in the pass rush. I expect that will improve as the season moves along and they get more comfortable in these new roles.

We have zero speed on the edge rushers. That was where Floyd was supposed to come in but that hasn't shown up yet. OTOH Floyd has been ok in run support and coverage. If we can get him and McPhee back in the rotation it will help considerably.

Our DBs are ok but there isn't one guy who is going to get an INT back there. I really like Callahan at NB but we need to get someone on the outside or at safety that can make those big plays for us. This is a definite focus area for the next offseason.

On Oline Whitehair looked bad at times getting blown up and pancaked a couple times. He struggles with the big NTs but has been pretty good overall for us. The interior of the Oline has been ok as they settle in with Sitton and Whitehair learning on the job. We need to add more competition at OT this offseason.

I can see a couple deep routes that Hoyer missed in the first half that could have been easy TDs (Jeffrey 1st qtr, Miller in 2nd qtr). We have to make those plays to help Howard find open space. Cutler will make those plays but will he also work the underneath routes when that's what the defense gives us?

Cam Meredith is the real deal, he reads zone defenses well and moves into the right spots. It's no wonder Hoyer looks for him so often, just give him a bit of time and he'll find the gap. Yet he also handles the man coverage well. If we keep Jeffrey we are in a really good spot with WR for the next few years. If we don't keep Jeffrey it will be because Meredith is taking his spot on the outside.

I enjoyed reading your assessment.

Well thought out...

Just watched a Gamepass replay of the Jags game. I see a team with a good foundation of young players. We lack stars.

Losing Goldman on defense was a huge loss. Young players like Washington and Bullard look a bit better each game as far as 2-gap responsibility, but neither is showing anything close to what we need in the pass rush. I expect that will improve as the season moves along and they get more comfortable in these new roles.

We have zero speed on the edge rushers. That was where Floyd was supposed to come in but that hasn't shown up yet. OTOH Floyd has been ok in run support and coverage. If we can get him and McPhee back in the rotation it will help considerably.

Our DBs are ok but there isn't one guy who is going to get an INT back there. I really like Callahan at NB but we need to get someone on the outside or at safety that can make those big plays for us. This is a definite focus area for the next offseason.

On Oline Whitehair looked bad at times getting blown up and pancaked a couple times. He struggles with the big NTs but has been pretty good overall for us. The interior of the Oline has been ok as they settle in with Sitton and Whitehair learning on the job. We need to add more competition at OT this offseason.

I can see a couple deep routes that Hoyer missed in the first half that could have been easy TDs (Jeffrey 1st qtr, Miller in 2nd qtr). We have to make those plays to help Howard find open space. Cutler will make those plays but will he also work the underneath routes when that's what the defense gives us?

Cam Meredith is the real deal, he reads zone defenses well and moves into the right spots. It's no wonder Hoyer looks for him so often, just give him a bit of time and he'll find the gap. Yet he also handles the man coverage well. If we keep Jeffrey we are in a really good spot with WR for the next few years. If we don't keep Jeffrey it will be because Meredith is taking his spot on the outside.

Always enjoy reading your posts. I also agree that I've liked what I've seen from Meredith. I've seen some mistakes (to be expected given his lack of experience), but he also seems to have the talent to get open and get to the right spots. He's looked light years better then White ever did. I think you and I are in the same camp that we lack real playmakers, especially on defense (offensively Jeffrey is a playmaker...albeit we need more; hopefully Howard can develop into that). Oline looks solid (not great, but solid) and I would expect a year from now it will be better (healthy Long, more experienced Whitehair, plus we'll probably get a new tackle).

I do hope Goldman and Floyd can develop into playmakers on the defensive side of the ball (more confident in Goldman than Floyd) but we still need more (but we should have more picks this next year to do that and who knows who else can develop). This process takes time and we've been competitive every game but the Dallas game (and Dallas is clearly pretty damn good).

No details here but Fangio sees the improvement in the young players. It can be easy to dismiss these comments as typical coach speak, but Fangio is the same guy who once said we have one good DT and the rest we'll see. He also called out Floyd and others at times. Hopefully we'll see some breakthroughs that turn into negative plays soon. My guess is we won't really see that until after the bye and we get McPhee and Goldman back into the rotation. Putting players like those two out there makes the job for Washington, Bullard, and even Floyd a bit easier.

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/vid...65-e5f9dd01d450

AZ, I agree with your assessment, but how many more DB's can we draft?

Remember we drafted Bush, Hall, and Houston-Carson this year, Amos last year and Fuller and Vereen in 2014. In the last 3 years and 23 picks, 6 have been DB's with only 2x LB's.

I almost think we need to throw away need altogether and just draft truly BPA. We need playmakers everywhere.

Remember we drafted Bush, Hall, and Houston-Carson this year, Amos last year and Fuller and Vereen in 2014. In the last 3 years and 23 picks, 6 have been DB's with only 2x LB's.

I almost think we need to throw away need altogether and just draft truly BPA. We need playmakers everywhere.

Draft-wise I think they need to focus more on the offense this next year. Every day and Tuesday I'll say skill players first but BPA especially if that player is a QB. I'll even concede to Jason's wishes of drafting another OLman (or two).

Defensively they are REALLY young and need to work on developing what they have before they start drafting on that side again.

The Bears have actually played some decent football in almost every game (not vs DAL) this season. We started the season taking a 14-13 lead into the 4th quarter against Houston, were only down 9-7 at halftime against PHI, went into the 4th at IND down by 6, and shutout the Jaguars for 3 quarters. With all the injuries, we have actually showed some potential.

I don't know if you can say the same for Cleveland, who looks destined for 0-16; SF, who even with Kaepernick looks like a 2 win team, and after tonight, you can put the Jets into the "sucks ass" category too. I don't think we are as bad as these 3 teams right now (not saying much, I know).

So when does Marshall go off and lose it?

Forte is now averaging 3.5 YPC and is on pace for his lowest totals for a full season since his rookie year. So at least Pace got that one right. I know some people wanted Bowles (I think I was in that camp), but man he doesn't look very good right now.

I don't know if you realize your own contradiction, but you can't say the Jets suck ass and then say that Pace got the Forte move right. If they suck ass, that is probably the reason why Forte's numbers aren't as good. Fitzpatrick has been atrocious, one of the worst QBs in the league, and everyone knows it. The opposing defenses don't even have to worry about their passing offense, and Decker being on IR makes it only that much worse. Forte doesn't have a damn chance there.

True but we haven't yet seen Bush play as he's just now being worked back onto the field coming back from injury. Hall showed some promise before getting injured and it was the same with Houston-Carson. If one of them turns out to be a stud player for us then that gap is solved. I'm not sure that will happen and I think they'll fit the mold of the others who have played so far and appear to be just solid players for us.

FWIW I read an article calling for Fuller to switch over to FS. He always seemed more comfortable with the play in front of him so that might be an option.