What I do with our first-round pick

Connorbear

I would trade our top 5 pick to New England for Garappolo and their 1st round pick. I know many of you hate this but I don't care about past history of NE QBs. I want a QB who has been in the league for a few years, especially one that comes from a winning organization.

Peace :dabears

I would trade our top 5 pick to New England for Garappolo and their 1st round pick. I know many of you hate this but I don't care about past history of NE QBs. I want a QB who has been in the league for a few years, especially one that comes from a winning organization.

I like the idea, but don't think it'll happen. Hoyer is coming back, probably, so Pace is undoubtedly thinking trade and the BPA.

I like the idea, but don't think it'll happen. Hoyer is coming back, probably, so Pace is undoubtedly thinking trade and the BPA.

I have no issue with Hoyer, Shaw and drafting a QB to develop in the first few rounds and using our 1st-round draft pick on BPA. I really wish Shaw was able to play now. I would love to see what he could do. I do not believe that Barkley or Fales will be part of the team next year.

I would be fine with that deal. I would like us to get Jimmy G.

You're right. Hate it. Dude has thrown 5 TDs in his career. You're essentially trading an unknown (our pick) for an older unknown who comes from a team that has a history of making bad players look good.

Garoppolo has never thrown an INT though.....kidding.

I wouldn't mind trading for him, but not for a first if we are drafting in the top 5. I might consider swapping 2nd's or giving up a 3rd outright, but I can't see us moving out of the top 5 for a former 2nd round pick.

He is only signed thru 2017, so we would not really be able to take advantage of a lower QB salary in the first 3-4 years.

Wow, giving up a top 5 pick means walking away from: Garrett, Allen, or Fournette. Yeah, that's just 3 of 5 but IMO those 3 are perennial Pro Bowl players. I'm confident there will be at least one QB taken top 5 (maybe by the Bears) plus there will be some rising star among the players who leave early.

I'm just fine with Howard and see no reason to consider Fournette but this is about value and Fournette would be a terror in New England. Forget about the Patriots because there will likely be another team offering more than a backup QB with 2 1/2 games of tape to evaluate. We might easily drop back a few picks and stay top 10 and add a 2nd or 3rd Rd pick.

More importantly for me: Put either Garrett or Allen on our defensive front and I think we're headed toward being a top 5 D. That's not something I want to walk away from too early, or pay too much for.

FWIW I still like Trubisky.

I think everyone agrees that the QB is the most important position on a team. The Chicago Bears draft history in the first round :

1939 #2 overall - Sid Luckman

1942 #10 overall - Frankie Albert

1946 #4 overall - Johnny Lujack

1948 # 3 overall - Bobby Layne

1951 #2 Overall - Bob Williams

This is where it gets weird not one QB taken in the first round from 1952 to 1982

1982 #5 overall - Jim McMahon

1987 #26 overall - Jim Harbaugh

1999 #12 overall - Cade McNown

2003 #22 overall - Rex Grossman

Since 1952 the Bears have draft 1 QB in the top 10, our beloved Jim McMahon. Now maybe Pace can get lucky and draft a Tom Brady in the 6th but I don't see that happening to anytime soon. If the Bears happen to be in the top 5 or top 3 draft slots I hope there is a QB that is a game changer. The Bears are not lucky enough to tank in a year that a Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning type QB is coming out. It seems like the QB's that are coming out this year all have some questions marks. I like that Pace has targeted Marritoa and Wentz, it gives me confidence that he knows what traits to look for in a QB. I hope he finds one and grabs him, if he is right it could change the Franchise forever!

'

I have no issue with Hoyer, Shaw and drafting a QB to develop in the first few rounds and using our 1st-round draft pick on BPA. I really wish Shaw was able to play now. I would love to see what he could do. I do not believe that Barkley or Fales will be part of the team next year.

Agree with you completely. Only hoping that Barkley would show more promise. And REALLY wish we could see Shaw play.