Trade Cutler to Miami?

AZ54

http://sports.yahoo.com/m/0afeb552-df94-39...-potential.html

I came across this rumor mill starter and at this point it is nothing more than pure speculation. If Tannehill continues to struggle as he did with 3 INTs this past game I could see where Gase would want Cutler but Tannehill has a $10mil cap hit. The only way I'd see this is if Cutler is a FA and not getting starter offers. He will. There are no Day 1 starters in the draft class so I can see desperate teams like San Fran, Cleveland, Jets tossing something out there to get Cutler. Might be just a 5th Rd pick but if we're moving on anyway just take it.

If you were a GM of a team in desperate need for a starting QB what would you offer for Cutler who has underchieved for the past 9 years in Chicago?

If Pace were to offer anything beyond a conditional 7th rounder for a QB like him to come to the Bears I would be pissed.

I would not even want a Rookie QB that I drafted to be groomed as a starter while learning poor mechanics and leadership abilities from Cutler.

Someone might take a flyer on him as a FA with a lesser contract but I do not see anyone giving him big $$$ to play for them or draft picks in a trade for him.

If you were a GM of a team in desperate need for a starting QB what would you offer for Cutler who has underchieved for the past 9 years in Chicago?

If Pace were to offer anything beyond a conditional 7th rounder for a QB like him to come to the Bears I would be pissed.

I would not even want a Rookie QB that I drafted to be groomed as a starter while learning poor mechanics and leadership abilities from Cutler.

Someone might take a flyer on him as a FA with a lesser contract but I do not see anyone giving him big $$$ to play for them or draft picks in a trade for him.

You really think Cutler is worse than the two QBs we faced Sunday?

It's not just whether he is worse, but a GM has to have a plan, a place for Cutler to fit in.

For any given game, his skills might be appealing to a GM, for others his poor decision making takes him off the list, but either way, Cutler isnt young.

I cant see a GM thinking Cutler is the guy of the future, and you dont spend draft picks on a QB for now.

They'll wait until he gets cut because even if he doesnt fall to them, it means one more QB on the market, and that improves the QB they will get likely even if it isnt Cutler. Thats how I imagine a GM would think about this.

It's not just whether he is worse, but a GM has to have a plan, a place for Cutler to fit in.

For any given game, his skills might be appealing to a GM, for others his poor decision making takes him off the list, but either way, Cutler isnt young.

I cant see a GM thinking Cutler is the guy of the future, and you dont spend draft picks on a QB for now.

They'll wait until he gets cut because even if he doesnt fall to them, it means one more QB on the market, and that improves the QB they will get likely even if it isnt Cutler. Thats how I imagine a GM would think about this.

IMO, no better, no worse, all 3 are no better than backup QBs which are a dime a dozen.

I would not give up draft picks for either one of the three.

You can pick up a FA QB cheap w/o losing a draft pick that will do as well as a backup QB.

IMO, no better, no worse, all 3 are no better than backup QBs which are a dime a dozen.

I would not give up draft picks for either one of the three.

You can pick up a FA QB cheap w/o losing a draft pick that will do as well as a backup QB.

I can certainly be wrong but what we see around the league each offseason says it is not unrealistic to find a team willing to give up a day 3 pick for Cutler.

When the league changed the rules of the game making it a passing league it had one key ramification: If you don't have a good QB you will not win at all. We watched Brock Osweiller get $37mil guaranteed last season, $72mil total. What's he done either before (getting benched) or after? He'll make $19mil next season.

There are questions about Trubisky's level of competition yet we watched the Eagles trade up twice in the last draft and select Carson Wentz. He was supposed to be a 2nd Rd pick.

Ryan Pickspatrick did a standoff with the Jets last offseason when nobody else wanted him and then earned $12mil for this season.

Ryan Tannehill got a $77mil contract with $21mil guaranteed. He just threw 3 INTs against Baltimore but he had his own turnover issues with 10 fumbles the year before he got that contract.

Tyrod Taylor for his 6th year in the league received a $90mil contract, but just $9.75 guaranteed.

Sam Bradford saga is well known and we've seen what two teams have been willing to pay in the last 12 months just to have his services short-term. Talk about leadership questions did you see him whine when they drafted Wentz? Yeah, that got him to Minn where he was the MVP for 5 weeks before he became Sam Bradford again.

In this market lies Jay Cutler and love him or hate him he's still an average QB in the league. His injury certainly complicates things but he no longer has any guaranteed money on his deal. That is an attractive option for a GM and he'll make just $16mil and $17mil the next two seasons.

A 4th Rd pick is never someone a team will rely on near term but there is an expectation they'll develop into a player that can contribute at least as a backup. Beyond that the 5th - 7th Rds is pure crapshoot even to make the final roster. Teams like the Jets can't even find a decent backup QB let alone a promising young QB. Tony Romo is also out there coming off his recent back surgery. He'll want and command some significant guaranteed salary.

The list of FA QBs starts with Kirk Cousins (who isn't going anywhere) then goes to Case Keenum and on downhill from there including Brian Hoyer who had trouble finding employment last season. FWIW Matt Barkley is a restricted FA.

Then there is the economics of game day and, if anything, the Bears have shown that 2 or 3 win seasons do not fill seats in a stadium. That can mean as much as $5-10mil in lost revenue per home game. Maybe your season tickets still get purchased but there are parking fees and concessions revenue too. Start losing $50mil in revenue or more during a season and you will get an owner's attention.

With his injury Cutler has at least 6 months of recovery so he isn't going anywhere until well after the draft. I doubt the Bears will want to cut him early with an injury settlement as that is likely to be significant money. Unless Cutler just agrees to take the bonus money he'll get in 2017. If we have to pay that money anyway why not just hang onto him until the 53 man roster cut down? By that time coaches around the league will know if they drafted Jared Goff or Carson Wentz. Or we just wait for the preseason injuries to occur.

I can certainly be wrong but what we see around the league each offseason says it is not unrealistic to find a team willing to give up a day 3 pick for Cutler.

When the league changed the rules of the game making it a passing league it had one key ramification: If you don't have a good QB you will not win at all. We watched Brock Osweiller get $37mil guaranteed last season, $72mil total. What's he done either before (getting benched) or after? He'll make $19mil next season.

There are questions about Trubisky's level of competition yet we watched the Eagles trade up twice in the last draft and select Carson Wentz. He was supposed to be a 2nd Rd pick.

Ryan Pickspatrick did a standoff with the Jets last offseason when nobody else wanted him and then earned $12mil for this season.

Ryan Tannehill got a $77mil contract with $21mil guaranteed. He just threw 3 INTs against Baltimore but he had his own turnover issues with 10 fumbles the year before he got that contract.

Tyrod Taylor for his 6th year in the league received a $90mil contract, but just $9.75 guaranteed.

Sam Bradford saga is well known and we've seen what two teams have been willing to pay in the last 12 months just to have his services short-term. Talk about leadership questions did you see him whine when they drafted Wentz? Yeah, that got him to Minn where he was the MVP for 5 weeks before he became Sam Bradford again.

In this market lies Jay Cutler and love him or hate him he's still an average QB in the league. His injury certainly complicates things but he no longer has any guaranteed money on his deal. That is an attractive option for a GM and he'll make just $16mil and $17mil the next two seasons.

A 4th Rd pick is never someone a team will rely on near term but there is an expectation they'll develop into a player that can contribute at least as a backup. Beyond that the 5th - 7th Rds is pure crapshoot even to make the final roster. Teams like the Jets can't even find a decent backup QB let alone a promising young QB. Tony Romo is also out there coming off his recent back surgery. He'll want and command some significant guaranteed salary.

The list of FA QBs starts with Kirk Cousins (who isn't going anywhere) then goes to Case Keenum and on downhill from there including Brian Hoyer who had trouble finding employment last season. FWIW Matt Barkley is a restricted FA.

Then there is the economics of game day and, if anything, the Bears have shown that 2 or 3 win seasons do not fill seats in a stadium. That can mean as much as $5-10mil in lost revenue per home game. Maybe your season tickets still get purchased but there are parking fees and concessions revenue too. Start losing $50mil in revenue or more during a season and you will get an owner's attention.

With his injury Cutler has at least 6 months of recovery so he isn't going anywhere until well after the draft. I doubt the Bears will want to cut him early with an injury settlement as that is likely to be significant money. Unless Cutler just agrees to take the bonus money he'll get in 2017. If we have to pay that money anyway why not just hang onto him until the 53 man roster cut down? By that time coaches around the league will know if they drafted Jared Goff or Carson Wentz. Or we just wait for the preseason injuries to occur.

Hit the nail on the head. The level of QB play in the league is not so great that a guy like Cutler isn't recognized as still being among the most physically gifted in the league, and still right in the mix as an average starter. Add in the allure of an OC who thinks he could be the guy to fix the Cutlerisms, and that's definitely a player enticing enough to garner 3rd day trade consideration, if not late 2nd day.

I disagree with things but very very well thought out post bro. And while I agree with the fact you can find suitors for a guy like cutler. I keep coming back to 1 thing that every GM will be asking themselves. "why should I trade for him when it's all but guaranteed they are going to release him". And someone please correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm not mistaken don't the bears have to choose by the 3rd day of the new league yr if they wish to keep him for 2017 and take on that years money or to straight release him and owing him nothing. I could be wrong on that but if I'm right that certainly complicates things just a bit

I disagree with things but very very well thought out post bro. And while I agree with the fact you can find suitors for a guy like cutler. I keep coming back to 1 thing that every GM will be asking themselves. "why should I trade for him when it's all but guaranteed they are going to release him". And someone please correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm not mistaken don't the bears have to choose by the 3rd day of the new league yr if they wish to keep him for 2017 and take on that years money or to straight release him and owing him nothing. I could be wrong on that but if I'm right that certainly complicates things just a bit

Teams would trade just to make sure they get him. Plus, his contact for the next couple years is team friendly. No guarantee you get him if he goes FA.

Teams would trade just to make sure they get him. Plus, his contact for the next couple years is team friendly. No guarantee you get him if he goes FA.

I honestly don't see him all that appealing as another gm. If I was gm I would honestly just wait til He's cut and get him at a fraction of the cost. And if I'm correct that his contract decision has to be made by 3rd day of league yr then that means I could take my shot with trying to get him there amd if I can't no big deal I try the draft where you can possibly get someone for the foreseeable future at an even cheaper cost. I know so many are trying to say he can be traded but I just don't see it. He's got little to no value right now. Coming off an injury and when he was on the field the results were poor. And you want another gm to not only give up a draft pick but also fork over $16M a yr for the next 2 yrs for someone on the wrong side of 30. Sorry not seeing it

http://sports.yahoo.com/m/0afeb552-df94-39...-potential.html

I came across this rumor mill starter and at this point it is nothing more than pure speculation. If Tannehill continues to struggle as he did with 3 INTs this past game I could see where Gase would want Cutler but Tannehill has a $10mil cap hit. The only way I'd see this is if Cutler is a FA and not getting starter offers. He will. There are no Day 1 starters in the draft class so I can see desperate teams like San Fran, Cleveland, Jets tossing something out there to get Cutler. Might be just a 5th Rd pick but if we're moving on anyway just take it.

I do not see any way Miami can do it with their cap, unless Tannehill was part of the deal. I like the thought of Cleveland, who is a power broker this offseason with 4 picks in the first two rounds and about 60 million in cap. Maybe offer Cutler and our 3rd for their later 2nd. Cleveland can take Garrett or Fournette #1, a QB to groom at #9 from Philly, still have pick #33 and trade pick 50 for Cutler and our third which is going to be around 68.

The Jets will be about a million over the cap next year and will need to unload. Any chance they part with Wilkerson this time? Cutler would work well with their OC and reunited with Marshall/Forte. The Jets will have a high pick and can add more talent to their D to replace Wilkerson with Malik McDowell or maybe Allen.

Any way, the Bears will need to start shopping him soon if bowlingtwig is correct that his guarantee kicks in a few days after the superbowl. Not much time to shop damaged goods.

**edit- Just seen a rumor that says Cleveland will have Jimmy Garapollo high on there QB list. Makes more sense than trading for a higher contract like Cutler.

Not me, he is too old and injury prone. We need a guy for the future, might as well take Hoyer and Barkley for short term answers and not spend the money IMO.

exactly. I don't see Cutler getting better than a 7th with a conditional draft pick based on wins.

Who here would want to spend a draft pick to trade for Romo next year?

Absolutely not. We aren't just a qb away from competing. Trading for him would set us back IMO. Barkley has actually surprised me. I still don't think he's the future but he's certainly good enough to bring back next yr. Give him a chance to compete and obviously draft a qb high

Absolutely not. We aren't just a qb away from competing. Trading for him would set us back IMO. Barkley has actually surprised me. I still don't think he's the future but he's certainly good enough to bring back next yr. Give him a chance to compete and obviously draft a qb high

exactly, and I dont believe anyone will trade for Cutler either.