Make a realistic trade

jason

Everyone seems to at least think a trade down would work well for the Bears. Most think the QB class is weak, and most think the guys we really want/need are better suited later than the third pick. So, is there any team that would be willing to move up to the #3 pick and not mortgage their entire future? Is there a team that has the picks/players to pull it off?

Here's my best shot:

CLE - Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M

SF - QB

CHI - SF didn't take the QB they want, and CLE calls the Bears to make a big move for what they think is a franchise QB, while keeping one of their second rounders.

CHI trades their #3 pick (2200) for CLE's #10 pick (1300), #33 (580), & #65 (265).

CHI then picks:

1.#10-Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama - #1 CB in the draft, 7 picks later.

2.#33-Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson - Most mocks have him dropping this far. A huge steal. He's the new franchise player.

2.#36-Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin - It's time to protect the franchise player.

3. #65-Budda Baker, S, Washington - He probably starts day one.

3. #68-Cooper Kupp, WR, E. Washington - Here's a fancy, new, sure-handed weapon for the franchise player.

4. #99-Chad Wheeler,OT,USC - I said, it's finally time to protect the franchise player!

4. #108-Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama - Good receiving TE for the franchise player.

5. #131-Tanoh Kpassagnon,DE,Villanova - Good potential. Not sure why he drops so far.

7. #193-Tarik Cohen, RB, NC A&T - Potential homerun hitting, change of pace RB

A guy can dream, right?

Everyone seems to at least think a trade down would work well for the Bears. Most think the QB class is weak, and most think the guys we really want/need are better suited later than the third pick. So, is there any team that would be willing to move up to the #3 pick and not mortgage their entire future? Is there a team that has the picks/players to pull it off?

Here's my best shot:

SF - QB

CHI - SF didn't take the QB they want, and CLE calls the Bears to make a big move for what they think is a franchise QB, while keeping one of their second rounders.

CHI trades their #3 pick (2200) for CLE's #10 pick (1300), #33 (580), & #65 (265).

CHI then picks:

2.#33-Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson - Most mocks have him dropping this far. A huge steal. He's the new franchise player.

3. #68-Cooper Kupp, WR, E. Washington - Here's a fancy, new, sure-handed weapon for the franchise player.

4. #99-Chad Wheeler,OT,USC - I said, it's finally time to protect the franchise player!

4. #108-Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama - Good receiving TE for the franchise player.

5. #131-Tanoh Kpassagnon,DE,Villanova - Good potential. Not sure why he drops so far.

A guy can dream, right?

I'm good with this. Make it so. ;)

Peace :dabears

Here's my best shot:

SF - QB

CHI then picks:

A guy can dream, right?

You list some good names, but I dont think Watson will be there in the second round. Kizer, Tribisky, and Watson will all go in the first round. I think the trade scenario is realistic but then I already suggested that trade in the other post.

I dont know anything about Baker, but will have to check him out. The DE Tanoh will never last until the 5th round, hes probably a 2nd rounder.

I hate to say it but I like.

Although beyond the first two names I have to say I have no idea who any of these guys are. I'm intrigued by the safety named 'Budda'. Or should that be 'Bubba'? Either way, I like the uniqueness. If he were Budda; I'd hope to call him the new 'minister of pain'.

I don't think Watson makes it into the 2nd, but if we take #36 and #68, you can move back into the first at #22. In this scenario, we would lose Kupp, but if we re-sign Alshon, and maybe sign someone like Pryor, Stills, Wood, or Aiken, we could close that void.

Revised Draft:

1. #10-Marlon Humphrey, CB

1. #22-Deshaun Watson, QB

2. #33-Ryan Ramczyk, OT

3. #65-Budda Baker, S

4. #99-Chad Wheeler,OT,USC

4. #108-Gerald Everett, TE

5. #131-Tanoh Kpassagnon,DE

7. #193-Tarik Cohen, RB

I don't think Watson makes it into the 2nd, but if we take #36 and #68, you can move back into the first at #22. In this scenario, we would lose Kupp, but if we re-sign Alshon, and maybe sign someone like Pryor, Stills, Wood, or Aiken, we could close that void.

Revised Draft:

1. #10-Marlon Humphrey, CB

1. #22-Deshaun Watson, QB

2. #33-Ryan Ramczyk, OT

3. #65-Budda Baker, S

4. #99-Chad Wheeler,OT,USC

4. #108-Gerald Everett, TE

5. #131-Tanoh Kpassagnon,DE

7. #193-Tarik Cohen, RB

I think the first two QBs taken will be Tribisky and Watson and will be gone before pick 22. Kizer I think goes in the first round but is the third QB taken. We will have to grab a prospect later in the draft.

I'd rather trade with Tennessee for their #6 & #16 giving back our third and second fourth round selection.

Then I'd take Watson at six and Teez, Wilson, or Reid at 16. In the second I'd hope Howard is still there and if not go best offensive tackle available.

People who keep saying draft a Qb prospect in the latter rounds might as well not want a QB as the majority of starter quality picks are first round draft picks.

I'd rather trade with Tennessee for their #6 & #16 giving back our third and second fourth round selection.

Then I'd take Watson at six and Teez, Wilson, or Reid at 16. In the second I'd hope Howard is still there and if not go best offensive tackle available.

People who keep saying draft a Qb prospect in the latter rounds might as well not want a QB as the majority of starter quality picks are first round draft picks.

I thought about that same trade, but I don't think TN would do that because they have their QB of the future. People trade up for QBs, not much else.

Also, the majority of stud QBs are first rounders, but the majority of first round QBs aren't studs. I happen to think that Trubinsky, Watson, and Kizer belong more in the second round, maybe late first, but because of the premium on the position they will likely go earlier than they should. I'm hoping all the rumors about Watson dropping to the second are right, because I think he's the best of the three. I also think, however, that the best QB in the entire draft is Chad Kelly from Ole Miss. He's got all the tools and talent if he could just get out of his own way. High risk, high reward.

I'd rather trade with Tennessee for their #6 & #16 giving back our third and second fourth round selection. Then I'd take Watson at six and Teez, Wilson, or Reid at 16. In the second I'd hope Howard is still there and if not go best offensive tackle available. People who keep saying draft a Qb prospect in the latter rounds might as well not want a QB as the majority of starter quality picks are first round draft picks.

Exactly my thought. If no QB is worthy of drafting Rounds 1 or 2, then do not draft one at all. They would be no different then what we currently have in Barkley, Shaw, or Fales.

If this is the case, then the trade we should be making is for a FUTURE 1st RD pick in 2018'ss draft.

Arizona: Round 1-11 = 1250pts, Round 2-43 = 470pts, Future 1st (equal to a 2nd) = 470-500 pts Total: 2190-2220 value

Bears: Round 1-3 = 2200 value

Draft:

1-10 Derek Barnett OLB Tenn

2-35 Cordrea Tankersly CB Clem

2-43 Budda Baker FS Was

3-67 Jordan Leggett TE Clem

4-100 Chad Wheeler OT USC

4-108 Malachi Dupree WR LSU

5-136 Julie'n Davenport OT Bucknell

7-245 Best ILB prospect:

Exactly my thought. If no QB is worthy of drafting Rounds 1 or 2, then do not draft one at all. They would be no different then what we currently have in Barkley, Shaw, or Fales.

If this is the case, then the trade we should be making is for a FUTURE 1st RD pick in 2018'ss draft.

Arizona: Round 1-11 = 1250pts, Round 2-43 = 470pts, Future 1st (equal to a 2nd) = 470-500 pts Total: 2190-2220 value

Bears: Round 1-3 = 2200 value

Draft:

1-10 Derek Barnett OLB Tenn

2-35 Cordrea Tankersly CB Clem

2-43 Budda Baker FS Was

3-67 Jordan Leggett TE Clem

4-100 Chad Wheeler OT USC

4-108 Malachi Dupree WR LSU

5-136 Julie'n Davenport OT Bucknell

7-245 Best ILB prospect:

If they find someone they like and he is rated a 3rd round pick, we dont need to be picking him in the first round to appease history. There are question marks on all the top 3 but all have higher ceilings. We have to draft a QB this year to start the cycle. If they like one of the top 3 then they will have to take him up there otherwise they will all be gone by the second.

If they find someone they like and he is rated a 3rd round pick, we dont need to be picking him in the first round to appease history. There are question marks on all the top 3 but all have higher ceilings. We have to draft a QB this year to start the cycle. If they like one of the top 3 then they will have to take him up there otherwise they will all be gone by the second.

I do know the Bears heavily scouted Kizer and he may be their pick. I can see trading back up into the bottom of a round to insure you get your guy, but not more. Luke Falk would have been a good 3rd RD pick worth trading into the bottom of the 2nd for, maybe that is why he is returning for another college season. One way or another, we need a starting caliber QB from hopefully this draft.

I'm a Watson guy. Just take him at three so we can mentally start over from this fuckery we've been dealing with since we fired Lovie.

I just realized how far we've fallen since we fired a guy who lead us to a 10-6 record in his final year. Yikes!

Ugh. Not the "we should have kept Lovie"-talk again. He's 3-9 at Illinois, and that's only because they scheduled an atrocious OVC school, they beat a Rutgers team that probably shouldn't even be on the field, and they eeked one out against the other B1G bottom dweller this year (Mich. St.).

The Bears didn't fall because Lovie left. They fell because there was a perfect storm of bad decisions, bad hires, bad personalities, and bad luck. They fell because in 2013 they got rid of the heart of the defense that was already falling apart, and hired a DC who drew up his plays in dull crayons. The HC they hired couldn't overcome that incompetence because he wasn't a strong enough leader, despite clearly being light-years ahead of Lovie's offensive abilities. The following season the wheels fell off because Trestman lost the locker room because Martellus Bennett, Brandon Marshall, and Lance Briggs were malcontents, because he let Marshall take time off for a TV show, because he let Briggs take time off to open a restaurant, he came up with the stupid rotating-captains thing, and not to mention because Kromer leaked his displeasure with Cutler.

Without that perfect storm - and I'm sure I forgot some things - any coach would likely have walked into the scenario and produce the same thing Lovie did: mediocrity.

Ugh. Not the "we should have kept Lovie"-talk again. He's 3-9 at Illinois, and that's only because they scheduled an atrocious OVC school, they beat a Rutgers team that probably shouldn't even be on the field, and they eeked one out against the other B1G bottom dweller this year (Mich. St.).

The Bears didn't fall because Lovie left. They fell because there was a perfect storm of bad decisions, bad hires, bad personalities, and bad luck. They fell because in 2013 they got rid of the heart of the defense that was already falling apart, and hired a DC who drew up his plays in dull crayons. The HC they hired couldn't overcome that incompetence because he wasn't a strong enough leader, despite clearly being light-years ahead of Lovie's offensive abilities. The following season the wheels fell off because Trestman lost the locker room because Martellus Bennett, Brandon Marshall, and Lance Briggs were malcontents, because he let Marshall take time off for a TV show, because he let Briggs take time off to open a restaurant, he came up with the stupid rotating-captains thing, and not to mention because Kromer leaked his displeasure with Cutler.

Without that perfect storm - and I'm sure I forgot some things - any coach would likely have walked into the scenario and produce the same thing Lovie did: mediocrity.

Finally, something we can disagree on.

The fact remains; the Bears last winning season (10-6) was while Lovie was HC. Slice and dice it all you want. Until we return to the playoffs and/or return to the Super Bowl; he will be the last coach to have done any of that.

Finally, something we can disagree on.

The fact remains; the Bears last winning season (10-6) was while Lovie was HC. Slice and dice it all you want. Until we return to the playoffs and/or return to the Super Bowl; he will be the last coach to have done any of that.

And the fact remains that Lovie inherited three defensive Hall of Famers when he signed on, one of which transformed the MLB position forever, while another was perhaps the most prolific "fumble forcer" in modern NFL history, and the last was a tackling machine who would be top 20 all time if not playing beside Uberlacher. Not to mention the fact it would have been four HOFers he inherited if not for Mike Brown's injuries. Then he was part of drafting a DB - because Lovie loved him some defensive drafts - who ended up being a horrible DB, but the best return man in the history of the NFL.

I think Lovie was a fine DC who lucked into one of the best defensive situations in the history of NFL coaching. This team would have similarly dropped like a rock if he remained on staff because his defense was old, his HOFers were not as good, and his scheme - that he refused to change or modify according to the game flow - was figured out. Oh, and he had no clue about offense.

Either way we see it, we've fallen so far off. hosed up thing is I don't think we've bottomed out yet either. I want a reason to not be cheering for losses again.

Find the best QB in this draft for our team going forward and take him at three. Build around Howard, qb, keep Jeffery even if you have to tag him, and dump money and draft picks into our offensive line.

Either way we see it, we've fallen so far off. hosed up thing is I don't think we've bottomed out yet either. I want a reason to not be cheering for losses again.

Find the best QB in this draft for our team going forward and take him at three. Build around Howard, qb, keep Jeffery even if you have to tag him, and dump money and draft picks into our offensive line.

What if the best QB in the draft could be had later? Are you still drafting him at 3?

Obviously not. My point is none of the top three last to our second pick. But there will be Clev, Nyj, SD, Jax, SF, Hou, NO, Buf, Ari, and possibly Minnesota looking for a qb in this year's draft. Do you really think we can hope our guy is there when we pick in the second round or later?

Or would you rather have a well put together team with no qb like Houston that can win a few games but can't advance due to shoddy qb play?

Obviously not. My point is none of the top three last to our second pick. But there will be Clev, Nyj, SD, Jax, SF, Hou, NO, Buf, Ari, and possibly Minnesota looking for a qb in this year's draft. Do you really think we can hope our guy is there when we pick in the second round or later?

Or would you rather have a well put together team with no qb like Houston that can win a few games but can't advance due to shoddy qb play?

It's definitely a conundrum. I think it's the same reason why many of us wish we could trade down and just go ahead and nab a QB in the first without it being a reach.

I definitely don't want a Houston situation, but I think I'd definitely prefer any of the following, which I believe would help the team more:

1. Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama + 2. Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson (Many think he'll fall)

1. Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama + 2. Pat Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech

1. Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama + 2. Desmond King, CB, Iowa + 3. Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami

1. Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama + 2. Desmond King, CB, Iowa + 3. Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson + 4. Chad Kelly, QB, Ole. Miss.