Coaching Options

adam

With the news of the Rex Ryan firing, I was looking to see who the lead candidates would be for HC jobs going into next season. We may or may not retain Fox (still up in the air) after potentially our worst season since 1969, but I could see both sides of the argument.

With previous HC experience:

Tom Coughlin, 70 ys old, 170-150 regular season record, too old for long-term position?

Rex Ryan, 54 yrs old, 61-65, seems to be more mouth than anything else

Gus Bradley, 50 yrs old, 14-48, never did anything outside of Seattle

Josh McDaniels, OC New England, 40 yrs old, 11-17, the Cutler of coaches, everyone seems to hate him

Jim Schwartz, DC Philadelphia, 50 yrs old, 29-51, seems better suited for Coordinator role

Coordinators:

Kyle Shanahan, OC Atlanta, #1 scoring team in league, #2 in yards, I would not be opposed to him (especially if we retained Fangio)

Sean McDermott, DC Carolina, 28th scoring defense, 22nd in yards, defense regressed big-time this year

Matt Patricia, DC New England, #1 scoring defense, 8th in yards, defense has been dominant, but us Bill pulling strings, either way I would be interested

Teryl Austin, DC Detroit, 13th in scoring defense, 15th in yards, average production, nothing special

Darrell Bevell, OC Seattle, 20th scoring, 15th yards, should've just run Beastmode

So out of those 10, I would say Shanahan or Patricia would be my top two candidates.

Now, I know there are other candidates like McCoy in SD or Rivera in CAR, but they are still employed so I did not include them. What do you guys think?

I'd prefer we keep the main portion of the staff intact. Despite the injuries and suspensions, we played hard and the youngsters grew. There is reason Pittsburg has had 3 coaches in 50 something years. They believe in a certain culture and it works. Our brass should take note and at least try to give Fox and Pace a chance.

I'd prefer we keep the main portion of the staff intact. Despite the injuries and suspensions, we played hard and the youngsters grew. There is reason Pittsburg has had 3 coaches in 50 something years. They believe in a certain culture and it works. Our brass should take note and at least try to give Fox and Pace a chance.

There are things I do not like about Fox but he aint going anywhere. There not going to keep doing a carousel of HCs and GMs. They need to stabilize the regime and at least give it another year to find its place. We have a shitty record but our team was bare of talent when they took over. The Bills had players in place for Ryan and he didnt produce, so they got rid of him. Different set of circumstances.