QB options

Connorbear

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One name worth throwing out there, if he gets released for some reason, is Tyrod Taylor.

If not, Romo makes too much sense to me. Gimme Romo and a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

No way on Romo. He has been injured way to much and is over 35.

Peace :dabears

One name worth throwing out there, if he gets released for some reason, is Tyrod Taylor.

Personally I don't want anything to do with Taylor. I wouldn't give him any more than a back up job. He ain't a starter and that deal had me rolling on the floor

Brandon Doughty or Connor Cook?

Our options:

not much in FAgency

trade for one, Jimmy G. or Glennon?

keep Cutler another year? ( that boat has sailed)

draft one high? ( none rated for the third overall pick)

draft one later and try to develop? probably our only option.

Hoyer will be our bridge , but we have to have a prospect to develop

Does anyone think Connor Shaw has a future?

Our options:

not much in FAgency

trade for one, Jimmy G. or Glennon?

keep Cutler another year? ( that boat has sailed)

draft one high? ( none rated for the third overall pick)

draft one later and try to develop? probably our only option.

Hoyer will be our bridge , but we have to have a prospect to develop

Does anyone think Connor Shaw has a future?

My opinion stands out. Draft the best QB ibn this draft. We have been stuck in mediocrity for years. All knowing the QB position is the most important on the team. QB for the future it's worth the reach.

My opinion stands out. Draft the best QB ibn this draft. We have been stuck in mediocrity for years. All knowing the QB position is the most important on the team. QB for the future it's worth the reach.

It's great in theory, but the problem is the Bears are drafting much higher than any of those QBs probably deserve to be drafted.

I thought you were on board with the idea of good QB drafted after the 1st behind dominant OL? I still say that's the best way to hit big on a QB, and RB for that matter. Look at Dallas as the roadmap: two rookies, both being considered for MVP (not to mention ROY), behind easily the best OL in the NFL.

It's great in theory, but the problem is the Bears are drafting much higher than any of those QBs probably deserve to be drafted.

I thought you were on board with the idea of good QB drafted after the 1st behind dominant OL? I still say that's the best way to hit big on a QB, and RB for that matter. Look at Dallas as the roadmap: two rookies, both being considered for MVP (not to mention ROY), behind easily the best OL in the NFL.

I get it and would love a monster OL. I think we are getting close once Long is healthy. My thought and point runs on the odds of getting a Dak Prescott in the 4th. They are not a dime a dozen. Odds get much better if you get one early. I'm willing to sit this QB until they are truly ready.

What exactly does Talyor do? He clearly isn't a good starter and if we are going to stopgap, why not just stick with Hoyer, who knows the system? I see no reason to look at Taylor. We know what he is, so spending money on him solves nothing.

What exactly does Talyor do? He clearly isn't a good starter and if we are going to stopgap, why not just stick with Hoyer, who knows the system? I see no reason to look at Taylor. We know what he is, so spending money on him solves nothing.

Agree. Hoyer for $ is better than Taylor for $$$.

Agree. Hoyer for $ is better than Taylor for $$$.

You & I might disagree on Jimmy G, but I think we can both agree, no matter what, we need to target a real solution at QB now. Whether that is in the draft or via trade. By the way, I should point out, I would not have supported signing Osweiler a year ago, but I do like Jimmy G (because I think his tools are superior across the board...he's got a strong arm, quick release, is accurate, and appears relatively poised. He's also learned from the best. If a Mariotta or someone like that were in this draft, I'd opt to draft a QB vs. being so pro Jimmy G trade (because the value of the cap savings would be nice), but I just don't see that player in the draft. If someone put a gun to me, I'd still be okay with Kizer / Trubinsky because I don't think we have the luxury of waiting on the QB position another year. As a fan, maybe they can deal with another bad season while we build other parts and then go QB, but you have to remember Pace / Fox have their jobs on the line, and with that, I just don't see how they can ignore QB, unless the "ignore" is using Romo as a temporary solution.

You & I might disagree on Jimmy G, but I think we can both agree, no matter what, we need to target a real solution at QB now. Whether that is in the draft or via trade. By the way, I should point out, I would not have supported signing Osweiler a year ago, but I do like Jimmy G (because I think his tools are superior across the board...he's got a strong arm, quick release, is accurate, and appears relatively poised. He's also learned from the best. If a Mariotta or someone like that were in this draft, I'd opt to draft a QB vs. being so pro Jimmy G trade (because the value of the cap savings would be nice), but I just don't see that player in the draft. If someone put a gun to me, I'd still be okay with Kizer / Trubinsky because I don't think we have the luxury of waiting on the QB position another year. As a fan, maybe they can deal with another bad season while we build other parts and then go QB, but you have to remember Pace / Fox have their jobs on the line, and with that, I just don't see how they can ignore QB, unless the "ignore" is using Romo as a temporary solution.

I dont serious think they draft a QB at 3. That is the best way to lose your job, make a mistake at the top of the draft. Draft the best player available and then look at whats left, reaching for a top QB that high is dumb. I have heard several people mention C.J. Beathard as a possible middle round prospect that could hit. His college career hasnt shined because of poor peers around him. Anybody know more about him?

I dont serious think they draft a QB at 3. That is the best way to lose your job, make a mistake at the top of the draft. Draft the best player available and then look at whats left, reaching for a top QB that high is dumb. I have heard several people mention C.J. Beathard as a possible middle round prospect that could hit. His college career hasnt shined because of poor peers around him. Anybody know more about him?

Precisely.

If Fox and Pace want to stay employed, they'd be dumb to draft a QB at #3.

-Play the rookie first rounder, and the team likely loses a lot. Hence, Fox and Pace get fired.

-Don't play the rookie first rounder, the owners likely want to know why they spent all that money. Also, that would be 2 out of 3 first rounders who don't play in their rookie year. Join Jeff Fisher somewhere in the offseason to regroup.

As you said, BPA and then QB makes more sense.

C.J. Beathard I've watched a decent amount since a lot of my family is from Iowa. He's got nice touch on the deep ball. Leads the receivers well. Good touch on intermediate and short stuff also. He's really good at play-action. His arm is fairly strong, good enough for back-shoulder throws, but I don't think it's elite. I remember one pass where he threw an out against Stanford in the Rose Bowl that got picked off, and it just looked like he didn't have enough juice on it. He didn't look great in that game, BTW. His pocket-awareness is suspect in my opinion, because sometimes he holds the ball way too long, and at others he just takes off (could be Iowa's play call design). The team never really put points on the board with him either (could be Iowa coaching/design again). Finally, he looked horrible when he played Florida in the Outback Bowl, so it's not like the previous year's Rose Bowl was some anomaly. Overall he just feels like a game manager more than a superstar QB. Because of all that, and the fact he's 6'2", I think he might be drafted in the 6th or 7th round.

Precisely.

-Play the rookie first rounder, and the team likely loses a lot. Hence, Fox and Pace get fired.

-Don't play the rookie first rounder, the owners likely want to know why they spent all that money. Also, that would be 2 out of 3 first rounders who don't play in their rookie year. Join Jeff Fisher somewhere in the offseason to regroup.

C.J. Beathard I've watched a decent amount since a lot of my family is from Iowa. He's got nice touch on the deep ball. Leads the receivers well. Good touch on intermediate and short stuff also. He's really good at play-action. His arm is fairly strong, good enough for back-shoulder throws, but I don't think it's elite. I remember one pass where he threw an out against Stanford in the Rose Bowl that got picked off, and it just looked like he didn't have enough juice on it. He didn't look great in that game, BTW. His pocket-awareness is suspect in my opinion, because sometimes he holds the ball way too long, and at others he just takes off (could be Iowa's play call design). The team never really put points on the board with him either (could be Iowa coaching/design again). Finally, he looked horrible when he played Florida in the Outback Bowl, so it's not like the previous year's Rose Bowl was some anomaly. Overall he just feels like a game manager more than a superstar QB. Because of all that, and the fact he's 6'2", I think he might be drafted in the 6th or 7th round.

I'm a diehard Hawkeye fan and I wouldn't touch Beathard. I can't even figure out why people refer to him and the NFL draft. I mean I don't see a problem drafting him to see if he can be backup, but using a 6th or 7th round pick to address a major QB need is not the answer.

Precisely.

That is so not true. If they draft a QB that high, it will be with ownership buy in. Ownership will ask, how long till he's ready? That is how much time they will have. I would argue that it buys them more time as Pace can recall Peyton Manning's first season of 3-13 and record interceptions as his first defense.

That is so not true. If they draft a QB that high, it will be with ownership buy in. Ownership will ask, how long till he's ready? That is how much time they will have. I would argue that it buys them more time as Pace can recall Peyton Manning's first season of 3-13 and record interceptions as his first defense.

Agreed. Any QB taken early is going to take his lumps. It is just the facts of life. The key is you need everything else to be working right and everyone to be on board. If the scouts look and say one of these guys is a franchise QB, then you aren't moving down in the draft, you are taking them at #3 overall (it is never an overdraft if you are taking a guy you think is a franchise QB at #3). QB is the most important position in the game...don't try and get cute...you take the guy, hands down. The delicacy is the confidence interval you put in that player being a franchise QB and the lower the interval, the less likely you are to take the player @ 3.

I always laugh at the, just wait and we can get our franchise QB later. Maybe you get lucky, but the reality is, if teams think a guy is a franchise player, he's going in the 1st round. Scouts whiff all the time (on top 5 QBs and other 1st round QB's) but the vast majority of franchise QB's are 1st round picks. If a guy has shown that flash, teams aren't waiting because of the importance and way more 2nd / 3rd round QB picks don't ever amount to anything then 1st round QB picks.

There are two HUGE differences between that situation and the one in Chicago.

First, Pace can't hold Polian's jock strap. that was at the 1st or 2nd year of Polian's reign as Indy's GM, in a time where GMs and HCs got a little more breathing room to make mistakes. Oh, and on top of that, the little fact that Polian had gone to the conference championships in 5 of the previous 8 seasons, with 3 Super Bowls in that same time, one team based primarily on offense, and the other based primarily on defense. He commanded respect, and his decisions were without debate. He was not getting fired if Peyton Manning had two straight 3-13 seasons.

Second, none of the QBs are even considered to be on Peyton Manning's level. Nearly everyone considered Peyton Manning a can't miss prospect with virtually zero flaws. He was a legacy who had every possible skill and intangible going for him. People may have been wrong about whether Ryan Leaf was going to be better than Manning, but virtually nobody thought Manning was going to flop. All predicted him as a future pro-bowler who absolutely ripped the NCAA apart, and should have won the Heisman.

Ownership may buy in to the idea of a QB, but if it were as easy as you state, every HC in trouble and with a QB issue would just say, "Hey, we have to draft a QB in the first, and it'll take at least a season before he's ready to start," thereby ensuring the HC of at least one more year.

Agreed. Any QB taken early is going to take his lumps. It is just the facts of life. The key is you need everything else to be working right and everyone to be on board. If the scouts look and say one of these guys is a franchise QB, then you aren't moving down in the draft, you are taking them at #3 overall (it is never an overdraft if you are taking a guy you think is a franchise QB at #3). QB is the most important position in the game...don't try and get cute...you take the guy, hands down. The delicacy is the confidence interval you put in that player being a franchise QB and the lower the interval, the less likely you are to take the player @ 3.

I always laugh at the, just wait and we can get our franchise QB later. Maybe you get lucky, but the reality is, if teams think a guy is a franchise player, he's going in the 1st round. Scouts whiff all the time (on top 5 QBs and other 1st round QB's) but the vast majority of franchise QB's are 1st round picks. If a guy has shown that flash, teams aren't waiting because of the importance and way more 2nd / 3rd round QB picks don't ever amount to anything then 1st round QB picks.

The bolded part is the issue. All three main QBs have serious question marks, if not outright flaws. The confidence level is not high enough for #3.

From everything Im reading is this class is below average and have yet to here anybody call the top 3 a franchise quarterback. just because you draft a 2nd round rated QB higher doesnt make him a first round franchise QB. You are right most franchise QBs are drafted high, but they come out with fanfare, Manning, Luck, Ben Roethlisberger.

QBs starting not in the first round.

Dalton, 2nd round

Wilson 3rd round

Brady 6 th round

Brees 2nd round

Cousins 4 th round

Tyrod Taylor 6 th round

I am not going to list all the idiots around that have started some games because of injuries.

More starters are found in the first round but also more misses.

You can find them in other spots.