Let's play an offseason game

jason

Just say no to Kalil, he's been one of the worst tackles in the league for a couple years now. Reiff was moved to RT and that is prob where he belongs.

1. Stephen Gilmore CB- Probably the best corner in this year's group.

2. Tony Jefferson S- For whatever reason signing Berry to a huge contract kinda scares me.

3. Gavin Escobar TE- Loved him out of the draft. Could be the next the to step out of Wittens shadow to shine(like Marty B)

1. Myles Garrett OLB- one way to really help the secondary is by building a dominant pass rush.

2. Pat Mahomes QB- Some might view this as a reach, but I loveeee me some Pat Mahomes.

3. Taylor Motion OT- I think he rises and won't be here but the only 7 round mock I see has him there sooo...

4. Kevin King CB- Huge 6'3" corner

5. Justin Jackson RB- Homer pick to compete with Langford as the backup

7. Austin Carr WR- Back to back Homer picks. Carr is a perfect slot guy and it's a shame he gets no draft buzz

Jefferson would be a good ad, but we need a playmaking FS as a priority.

Gilmore is a great add, but Esocbar, an underachever in a TE drat, dont see that happening.

I think we add a FS and CB in FAgency and still draft both positions.

Pace will go after someone still young and ascending .I think we go hard after Berry, the only others worth trying to get are Jefferson and Cyprien.

I think we add a DT to play the 5T position, Short, or Poe/KC

Jefferson would be a good ad, but we need a playmaking FS as a priority.

Gilmore is a great add, but Esocbar, an underachever in a TE drat, dont see that happening.

I think we add a FS and CB in FAgency and still draft both positions.

Pace will go after someone still young and ascending .I think we go hard after Berry, the only others worth trying to get are Jefferson and Cyprien.

I think we add a DT to play the 5T position, Short, or Poe/KC

Berry needs to be the top target, I think we can go with our other young Safeties unless we can land Jefferson too. The defense can take another huge step in FA alone, which makes me think the draft will be heavy offense early on which may bring a lot of disgruntled comments. The first 3 rounds may be QB, WR, TE, or OT in any order. I think they are currently happy with Leno and Massie, but need a swing OT and competition to upgrade.

Look at GBN draft report and see there ratings , i find them to be realistic to my thoughts so far on the draft.( a former NFL scout)

This early in the process rankings are all over the place. They have Malik Hooker 37th at GBN and there are people talking about taking him in the top 10. It seems clear Hooker will end up as a 1st Rd pick. OTOH they still have Peppers listed 5th overall which I totally disagree with. In most place Peppers has already dropped back to a mid-1st Rd pick, maybe even later. I think that fits better with a guy who is not that good in coverage, even if he has the athletic ability to do so. There's too much projection on Peppers for him to be a top 10 pick IMO. We'll see what positions these two hold on GBN in March.

http://draftboardguru.com/top100/

There is a lot of evaluation still needing to be done and over the next month things will balance out. I like these exercises on our board because we live in different regions and see players around the nation. That gives me a good indication of who to start looking at in the mid to late rounds. We're not going to get much media coverage on players in the backend of the draft.

The Bears were 12th in the league with 37 sacks, yet somehow they were last in the league in takeaways. That tells me there were several coverage sacks, and a lot of opportunities missed.

With multiple key contributors missing for the entire year, that no doubt affected the results. Floyd, Goldman, and McPhee playing the entire year likely means at least 5 more sacks, which puts the Bears at a tie for 3rd in the NFL. If the Bears were healthy, however, I don't think they would have had that many more takeaways. Other guys missed some time as well, but none of them appear to be the game-changer takeaway guys the Bears need.

Let's assume full health next year. That means Kyle Fuller is playing for his life and hopefully does better, and the collection of LBs (especially Trevathan) put in a bit better work. But the Bears still probably need someone to catch those INTs. Because of that, I'm steering more towards the idea that the Bears need 3-4 secondary players in FA or in the draft.

FAs -

1. Eric Berry - Do everything to get Eric Berry. Hookers, condos, deep-dish, add in incentives and bonuses, let him choose a retired number, absolutely everything to get him.

2. Riley Reiff - He fills a need, he's one of the best available, he's still relatively young, and is better than either OT on the Bears. Added bonus: poaching within the division.

3. A J Bouye or Malcolm Butler - This is Kyle Fuller insurance. Fuller, Bouye, and Butler are all probably #2 CBs, and could start if the Bears couldn't get a lockdown #1 CB in the draft.

Draft

1. MG or JA - Either one transforms the Bears Defense when they replace Unrein, who is a place-holder and backup. Adding Myles Garrett or Jonathan Allen as the DE in the 1st adds sacks, minimizes the pocket time of opposing QBs, and increases the chances for INTs.

2. Lock-down CB - I'm sold on the idea that CBs with potential in this class are thin after the 2nd round. One must be grabbed fairly early. There are multiple there, and I think I prefer Desmond King at this spot, but if we were going with my philosophy of needing play-makers,

, despite me not being his biggest fan (see above), might be the best bet. There is no denying he is an explosive, ball-hawk CB. Also, he doesn't quite pose the "super athlete"-enigma that Jabrill Peppers poses (e.g. Devin Hester). Jackson has always been a CB, who just happens to be such a great athlete that they get him some snaps on O & ST. He'd likely be in the kick return mix as well.

3. Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson - I like him or Evan Engram here. I think either is a future pro-bowler, but Legget's size is hard to ignore. He would be a great weapon for a young QB.

4. Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina - The Bears need sure hands. Few hands are surer than Switzer's. He immediately fills Eddie Royal's disappointing and likely departure. He also competes with Adoree Jackson for kick return duties. He becomes the young QB's security blanket. This is also somewhat hedging the bets on needing sure-handed guys since Kevin White is an unknown, and Alshon is likely gone IMO. There will be a lot of short passing and running, which is fine because it fits the defense-first team well.

4. Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss - Speaking of young QBs, here he is. This guy is still probably the best on-field QB in the draft. His ACL injury will drop him in the draft, and he was already going to drop because of his off-field personality. I've been on record many times saying I don't care about that stuff much. He's a leader in the same way McMahon was a leader.

- He has 15 INTs in the last two years, with
, and is a very willing tackler. After someone on the board mentioned him a while back, I've done some research. He seems to win every 50/50 ball, has good route anticipation, and destroys plays on the edge. He comes in like a strong safety just itching to blow up RBs on sweeps and WRs on screens. He should be getting more love. He may go earlier than this.

7. Weston Steelhammer, SS, Air Force - With his size, stats, and production, I don't know why he's not getting more love. Last year I called out Kwiatkowski as a guy I thought should be getting more pub. This year I'm about to get on board the Steelhammer train. Great name, tackling machine, rangy in pass defense, great hands, and a rare ball-hawk at SS. Being from a military academy means virtually no character concerns. I wouldn't be surprised if this 7th rounder beats someone out for a position.

Kazee looks like a very good late Rd prospect. Need to see how well he runs but there's no denying his football instincts.

Just say no to Kalil, he's been one of the worst tackles in the league for a couple years now. Reiff was moved to RT and that is prob where he belongs.

1. Stephen Gilmore CB- Probably the best corner in this year's group.

2. Tony Jefferson S- For whatever reason signing Berry to a huge contract kinda scares me.

3. Gavin Escobar TE- Loved him out of the draft. Could be the next the to step out of Wittens shadow to shine(like Marty B)

1. Myles Garrett OLB- one way to really help the secondary is by building a dominant pass rush.

2. Pat Mahomes QB- Some might view this as a reach, but I loveeee me some Pat Mahomes.

3. Taylor Motion OT- I think he rises and won't be here but the only 7 round mock I see has him there sooo...

4. Kevin King CB- Huge 6'3" corner

5. Justin Jackson RB- Homer pick to compete with Langford as the backup

7. Austin Carr WR- Back to back Homer picks. Carr is a perfect slot guy and it's a shame he gets no draft buzz

I'm not that high on Jefferson. He'd be a solid upgrade over HJQ but he's not a good coverage guy and he has some inconsistencies in his play. He's probably going to get far more money than he's worth in FA. I think can Amos fill the SS role equally as well as Jefferson.

I'm not that high on Jefferson. He'd be a solid upgrade over HJQ but he's not a good coverage guy and he has some inconsistencies in his play. He's probably going to get far more money than he's worth in FA. I think can Amos fill the SS role equally as well as Jefferson.

Jefferson is a better player than Amos is right now, but maybe two years from now that changes.

I think they are high on Deon Bush at SS and will end up being a better player than Amos.