Just say no

jason

1. Everyone thinks the Patriots are pretty much the cream of the NFL crop.

2. Everyone thinks Bill Belichek is a mastermind when it comes to players, seemingly able to use scrubs and get results, casting off guys who do well only to find out those guys falter elsewhere.

3. Everyone realizes Brady is 39, and pretty much no NFL QB does well much after that.

So why in the world would BB be so willing to depart with Jimmy Garoppolo? Think about that for a minute.

And why would the Bears give up anything for him? Because he played a game or two in the real NFL? With the best team in the NFL? With the most structured team in the NFL? With the best coach in the NFL? He may as well be a rookie. The only positive is he's been in the NE system. Of course, the negative is that if he were traded to the Bears, after one year he'd be asking for a monster contract (much more expensive than a rookie contract). The Bears would be semi-hamstrung to oblige, or go back into the same dilemma.

Trading big time for Jimmy G right now would amount to having complete faith in Barkley after his first two games. We see how that worked out.

2. Everyone thinks Bill Belichek is a mastermind when it comes to players, seemingly able to use scrubs and get results, casting off guys who do well only to find out those guys falter elsewhere.

3. Everyone realizes Brady is 39, and pretty much no NFL QB does well much after that.

So why in the world would BB be so willing to depart with Jimmy Garoppolo? Think about that for a minute.

And why would the Bears give up anything for him? Because he played a game or two in the real NFL? With the best team in the NFL? With the most structured team in the NFL? With the best coach in the NFL? He may as well be a rookie. The only positive is he's been in the NE system. Of course, the negative is that if he were traded to the Bears, after one year he'd be asking for a monster contract (much more expensive than a rookie contract). The Bears would be semi-hamstrung to oblige, or go back into the same dilemma.

Trading big time for Jimmy G right now would amount to having complete faith in Barkley after his first two games. We see how that worked out.

I agree, he is just the next Matt Cassel.

Not worth the price. Small thought what the value of the #3 pick is. The #3 pick has a trade value of 2200 points, NE's entire draft class RDs 1-7 doesn't add up to 1200 total points. Nearly two whole drafts if NE drafts around 30.

I have said the same in the past month on the forum, I agree 100% about the risks involved and have thought it to be another "Matt Cassel" sucker bet.

What is depressing is that over the past month I have also been looking at the QBs in the draft and cannot get excited about any of them. At best, there may be a couple who would be good starting QBs with some time to learn behind a quality starter, something we do not have.

Of course, there could be that rare sleeper, late round gem. Like playing the lottery.

Worse yet, out of all the potential FA QBs or QBs mentioned as possibly being available in a trade, the best one I can find, IMO, is Jay Cutler, which is about as depressing as it can be because, like many of you, I want him GONE.

Romo's age & injury history makes him a foolish option, IMO.

Unfortunately, the 2nd best option for a possible QB available from a current NFL roster is probably Jimmy G., UGH

I wouldn't mind it if NE would accept a 2nd round pick for him, but being they drafted him in the 2nd round, albeit a late 2nd rnd pick, I doubt they would take anything less than a 1st PLUS ???.

Just too much to pay.

I am guessing the Bears are just going to have to pick up a couple of day 2 &/or day 3 lottery tickets and pray one pans out.

A few things to remember...it is easy to say that it is just the system or that he is the next Cassel, but Cassel was projected to be a clipboard holding backup at best (very late round pick who barely played in college at USC). Jimmy G was a 2nd round pick who many scouts thought had 1st round talent. He has shown nothing (albeit in flashes) to deny that talent. Yes, he was raw and hard to grade out because he played against lesser competition, but he could have also learned quite a few good things from playing behind and being mentored by Brady.

Cassel, while not great, wasn't exactly the worst player in the league and had some successful seasons with the Chiefs. We are a long ways away from solving the problem, but I think using a 2nd round pick plus something else (if the Pats would bite on it) is a much better roll of the dice then the alternative (and going with a rookie QB). A lot of smart people have said if Jimmy G was in this years draft, he'd be a clear cut #1 overall pick. He very well could end up sucking, but he not only did he put up very very good numbers, he also looked the part. Reality is QB is a crapshoot and I think the odds of Jimmy G panning out are much greater then any of the QB's in this years draft class. I also think Jimmy G is ready to plug and play today, which actually speeds up the entire rebuilt process and could get the Bears on the fast track much sooner.

In an ideal world, we'd move down in the draft, stock up some more picks, and use the stocked up picks to get Jimmy G while then leveraging our typical picks to fill other needs (plus be smart in free agency).

I have said the same in the past month on the forum, I agree 100% about the risks involved and have thought it to be another "Matt Cassel" sucker bet.

What is depressing is that over the past month I have also been looking at the QBs in the draft and cannot get excited about any of them. At best, there may be a couple who would be good starting QBs with some time to learn behind a quality starter, something we do not have.

Of course, there could be that rare sleeper, late round gem. Like playing the lottery.

Worse yet, out of all the potential FA QBs or QBs mentioned as possibly being available in a trade, the best one I can find, IMO, is Jay Cutler, which is about as depressing as it can be because, like many of you, I want him GONE.

Romo's age & injury history makes him a foolish option, IMO.

Unfortunately, the 2nd best option for a possible QB available from a current NFL roster is probably Jimmy G., UGH

I wouldn't mind it if NE would accept a 2nd round pick for him, but being they drafted him in the 2nd round, albeit a late 2nd rnd pick, I doubt they would take anything less than a 1st PLUS ???.

Just too much to pay.

I am guessing the Bears are just going to have to pick up a couple of day 2 &/or day 3 lottery tickets and pray one pans out.

The key to me is if we can get him for a late 1st, ideally a 2nd and a 3rd day pick (if we say made a deal with the Browns for their 10th pick plus some other good picks and could maneuver to where the positioning made sense). We can't just ignore the QB position, because if we do that, we have zero chance of getting better, so when I look at the landscape, I think Jimmy makes by far the most sense. The next most logical answer to me would be Tony Romo as a stopgap which gives you time to play around with some "flyer" QB's or to wait another year to address (there is obviously health risk though). Jimmy G though has much greater odds to me of being solid to good then any other QB available (with exception of Romo...and that is a short-lived window or Cousins, who probably won't be available and is clearly not ever going to be elite, although he is a solid starter).

And I don't know that any of us want to be picking in the top 3 2 or 3 season from now, and that is really the only way to get the slam duck franchise QB (who still has major bust risk) and maybe next years draft would have it (USC's QB) but who knows. This years QB crop, on paper looks very weak. Of course, if Pace and company look at any of the QB's in the draft and think they see the guy, clearly they need to take them. We can't ignore QB this year and we can't just use a "flyer" pick on a QB. We either bring in a veteran who can help us contend now (and focus everything else on building an elite D) or you go a route that you think can get you a franchise QB (cause it takes time to see if that player will pan out or not anyway).

Look at the Rams, they waited and waited and then when they finally couldn't wait anymore, they jumped for Goff, ugh.

A few things to remember...it is easy to say that it is just the system or that he is the next Cassel, but Cassel was projected to be a clipboard holding backup at best (very late round pick who barely played in college at USC). Jimmy G was a 2nd round pick who many scouts thought had 1st round talent. He has shown nothing (albeit in flashes) to deny that talent. Yes, he was raw and hard to grade out because he played against lesser competition, but he could have also learned quite a few good things from playing behind and being mentored by Brady.

Cassel, while not great, wasn't exactly the worst player in the league and had some successful seasons with the Chiefs. We are a long ways away from solving the problem, but I think using a 2nd round pick plus something else (if the Pats would bite on it) is a much better roll of the dice then the alternative (and going with a rookie QB). A lot of smart people have said if Jimmy G was in this years draft, he'd be a clear cut #1 overall pick. He very well could end up sucking, but he not only did he put up very very good numbers, he also looked the part. Reality is QB is a crapshoot and I think the odds of Jimmy G panning out are much greater then any of the QB's in this years draft class. I also think Jimmy G is ready to plug and play today, which actually speeds up the entire rebuilt process and could get the Bears on the fast track much sooner.

In an ideal world, we'd move down in the draft, stock up some more picks, and use the stocked up picks to get Jimmy G while then leveraging our typical picks to fill other needs (plus be smart in free agency).

That's not an ideal world.

In an ideal world, we'd move down in the draft, stock up some more picks, and use one of the extra picks to land a QB of the future who has similar NCAA production as JG, whose stock hasn't been over-inflated because of his time on the best franchise in football, and won't cost an arm and a leg after one year.

That's not an ideal world.

In an ideal world, we'd move down in the draft, stock up some more picks, and use one of the extra picks to land a QB of the future who has similar NCAA production as JG, whose stock hasn't been over-inflated because of his time on the best franchise in football, and won't cost an arm and a leg after one year.

Just cause he was Brady's backup doesn't make him not the best option. This is a guy who after being a relatively high draft pick, hasn't actually had his value crash or do anything that makes people think he can't start vs. so many other guys. This is a guy who was drafted and thus far, looks like a guy who can be much better then the position he was drafted. There isn't a QB in this draft who has a better chance to succeed in the NFL then Jimmy G does. That isn't to say Jimmy G is a sure thing...none of these guys are, but Kizer / Trubisky are only two with all the physical tools and they have a lot of things that lack desire. Watson is way to iffy (not to say he can't change). Jimmy G is the best of available talents.

This morning heard Bill Polian talking about potential FA QB's this next year. He seemed to echo many here that thought this year's QB draft class is weak and even went a little farther to say that some of the candidates making themselves eligible (Trubisky being one of them) shouldn't. Anyhow, some of the names he threw out that could be FA's from other teams were Glennon, Garrapollo and AJ McCarron (currently of the Bengals). I was actually thinking about him the other day but wonder really would he be even worth considering? The article below speculates that McCarron would be better suited with the Browns but have to ask; would he be worth taking a look at?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000076...offseason-trade

And as an extra consideration, next year Penn State QB Trace McSorley will be eligible. Saw some of his performance in the Rose Bowl and was amazed at his accurateness especially long downfield.

This morning heard Bill Polian talking about potential FA QB's this next year. He seemed to echo many here that thought this year's QB draft class is weak and even went a little farther to say that some of the candidates making themselves eligible (Trubisky being one of them) shouldn't. Anyhow, some of the names he threw out that could be FA's from other teams were Glennon, Garrapollo and AJ McCarron (currently of the Bengals). I was actually thinking about him the other day but wonder really would he be even worth considering? The article below speculates that McCarron would be better suited with the Browns but have to ask; would he be worth taking a look at?

And as an extra consideration, next year Penn State QB Trace McSorley will be eligible. Saw some of his performance in the Rose Bowl and was amazed at his accurateness especially long downfield.

You watched the rose bowl and are talking about Penn State's QB vs. USC's QB? USC's QB looked like a total stud. McSorley on the other hand, played well, but didn't at all look the part of an NFL QB. In general, his arm strength is suspect and he is not known for being overly accurate. The turnovers he had were pretty poor too, especially that pick that set-up the game winning score for USC.

Patriots timed things perfect to move Jimmy G. With the draft class so bad, it is why I think we absolutely need to address QB via trade (or go with Romo and take a later round flyer and re-evaluate QB again in a year). I don't see how they can keep their jobs if they stick with Hoyer and a late round flyer in a weak draft....just to be back a year ago. They put themselves in this mess when they passed in last years draft (despite all those 4th round picks).

Polian also said if he had his choice, he'd trade for McCarron (because he has won in high leverage situations before) over Jimmy G. The Bengals supposedly turned down a 2nd and 4th for him last year. He was a guy I wanted the Bears to draft years ago.

You watched the rose bowl and are talking about Penn State's QB vs. USC's QB? USC's QB looked like a total stud. McSorley on the other hand, played well, but didn't at all look the part of an NFL QB. In general, his arm strength is suspect and he is not known for being overly accurate. The turnovers he had were pretty poor too, especially that pick that set-up the game winning score for USC.

Yeah that's the guy. My perspective was limited due to only being able to see part of the game. From what I saw though I was impressed with the youngsters performance. His overall stats this year were in line with some of those going up for the draft this year. Given he's a sophomore I could see him getting better with more time.

I wasn't able to finish hearing what Polian had to say about McCarron and would be even more intrigued by him if Polian thinks he was worthy for trade consideration.

Patrick Mannelly suggested we trade back in the 1st Rd and pick up another 1st Rd pick. Use the higher first round pick to select your DB or player of choice, trade the later 1st Rd pick to NE for Garrapolo. I know nothing about JimmyG but I assume Pace and Fox do since they practiced against him for 3 days. The downside to that is he was throwing against our secondary.

There are zero assurances when drafting a QB. I'll stick with Trubisky because I like the physical tools and I think he has the mental makeup to succeed long term. I don't think he suffers from Goff's tendency to toss a prayer when under pressure.

Opinions are like... everyone's got one and we're not always right.

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports/colts...s-us-through-it

“We explained they both as athletes and football players were can’t-miss,” Polian said. “We explained where Andrew was in his stage of development, where RG3 was in his stage of development, particularly because he played in a spread offense and there was going to be an adjustment period because of that.”

“I believed at the time they were can’t-miss (prospects). I still said on draft day on ESPN they were both can’t-miss.”

Patrick Mannelly suggested we trade back in the 1st Rd and pick up another 1st Rd pick. Use the higher first round pick to select your DB or player of choice, trade the later 1st Rd pick to NE for Garrapolo. I know nothing about JimmyG but I assume Pace and Fox do since they practiced against him for 3 days. The downside to that is he was throwing against our secondary.

There are zero assurances when drafting a QB. I'll stick with Trubisky because I like the physical tools and I think he has the mental makeup to succeed long term. I don't think he suffers from Goff's tendency to toss a prayer when under pressure.

Opinions are like... everyone's got one and we're not always right.

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports/colts...s-us-through-it

“We explained they both as athletes and football players were can’t-miss,” Polian said. “We explained where Andrew was in his stage of development, where RG3 was in his stage of development, particularly because he played in a spread offense and there was going to be an adjustment period because of that.”

“I believed at the time they were can’t-miss (prospects). I still said on draft day on ESPN they were both can’t-miss.”

Are you questioning Polians opinion on QB evaluation? If you are then; "I find you lack of faith in Polian disturbing." In using your article and Polians history; if he thinks McCarron is better then Garappolo I'd be more apt to listen to that . So far he's been right about Manning (versus Leaf) and Luck (versus RGIII).

And if I misunderstood your post, then never mind.

Are you questioning Polians opinion on QB evaluation? If you are then; "I find you lack of faith in Polian disturbing." In using your article and Polians history; if he thinks McCarron is better then Garappolo I'd be more apt to listen to that . So far he's been right about Manning (versus Leaf) and Luck (versus RGIII).

And if I misunderstood your post, then never mind.

Ill trust Polian's take on QB's. Small note tho, Luck was drafted a year after Polian was gone from Indy. I wouldnt mind a run at both McCarron or Garrapolo for the the right price, definitely not the 3rd overall.

Ill trust Polian's take on QB's. Small note tho, Luck was drafted a year after Polian was gone from Indy. I wouldnt mind a run at both McCarron or Garrapolo for the the right price, definitely not the 3rd overall.

Agreed (on the 3rd overall part). I think the article highlighted that owner Irsay asked for input from the football minds on team (at the time including Polian) about their prospective pick to replace Manning. Polian suggested both RGIII and Luck with a lean towards Luck. Polian was gone later that year before the draft.

Are you questioning Polians opinion on QB evaluation? If you are then; "I find you lack of faith in Polian disturbing." In using your article and Polians history; if he thinks McCarron is better then Garappolo I'd be more apt to listen to that . So far he's been right about Manning (versus Leaf) and Luck (versus RGIII). And if I misunderstood your post, then never mind.

They are his words not mine. He is the one who said RGIII was a "can't miss prospect". If you read the article you'd know that he didn't choose Luck, his owner did. Of course he was let go before the draft so he never really made the decision anyway.

I'm sure Pace scouted Jimmy G when he was in college and his scouts did as well. Pace needs to trust his scouts and his own thoughts on him. If they feel he is the guy, they should go get him. I wouldn't, however, give up the 3rd pick in the draft for him. I would be give them our 2nd round pick and a provision pick next year (based on Jimmy G's) performance.

Peace :dabears

I'm sure Pace scouted Jimmy G when he was in college and his scouts did as well. Pace needs to trust his scouts and his own thoughts on him. If they feel he is the guy, they should go get him. I wouldn't, however, give up the 3rd pick in the draft for him. I would be give them our 2nd round pick and a provision pick next year (based on Jimmy G's) performance.

Peace :dabears

For me it is less risk than grabbing a guy high in the draft, he has been in the NFL learning under Brady and Bellick, seems like our best option. If he is good, it will show quicker, any of the draftees will take a couple of years even if you have a gem. Wentz and Zak didnt have franchise type years, just good for a rookie. Either would not have did as well if they were on our team for the whole year.

I just looked at Zaks stats, 4 interceptions and 6 rushing TDs, I am quite impressed.

Just cause he was Brady's backup doesn't make him not the best option. This is a guy who after being a relatively high draft pick, hasn't actually had his value crash or do anything that makes people think he can't start vs. so many other guys. This is a guy who was drafted and thus far, looks like a guy who can be much better then the position he was drafted. There isn't a QB in this draft who has a better chance to succeed in the NFL then Jimmy G does. That isn't to say Jimmy G is a sure thing...none of these guys are, but Kizer / Trubisky are only two with all the physical tools and they have a lot of things that lack desire. Watson is way to iffy (not to say he can't change). Jimmy G is the best of available talents.

This logic just doesn't fly.

Relatively high draft pick. All three top QBs in this draft, and maybe some others will go earlier.

Hasn't had his value crash. Because he hasn't played.

Looks like a guy who can do much better than his draft position. According to the 1.5 games he played with freaking New England? New England!?

No QB in the draft has a better chance to succeed than JG? Are you related? That's crazy talk. At least one QB from this draft will likely have much better success than JG. Trubisky and Kizer have the tools, and have done it at a much higher collegiate level. And Watson just might be the next Cam Newton based upon how he's basically carried his team to two straight NCAA title games.

And even if it were a completely even playing field in terms of ability, or if a slight advantage went to JG, his contract requirements after one season would make it not worth the value. It would be better to just get a highly rated QB who may be ever so slightly worse than JG, and let him play into the role for much less money.

For me it is less risk than grabbing a guy high in the draft, he has been in the NFL learning under Brady and Bellick, seems like our best option. If he is good, it will show quicker, any of the draftees will take a couple of years even if you have a gem. Wentz and Zak didnt have franchise type years, just good for a rookie. Either would not have did as well if they were on our team for the whole year.

I just looked at Zaks stats, 4 interceptions and 6 rushing TDs, I am quite impressed.

Just to play devil's advocate for a bit. There is no position in pro sports that is harder to fill than NFL QB. Brady is very close to the end of his career but even if he can make it 2-3 more seasons, if JimmyG is a valid top 15 NFL QB do you really think the "geniuses" that run the Patriots would let him go?

Even if Belichick wants to end his career at the same time as Brady I'm pretty sure the owner wants a successful team once they leave. Why would he let go of his next starting QB? Does Kraft think it's more logical to wait for his brand new front office/HC to find his next Pro Bowl QB? I'm certain he'd trust Belichick's opinion a lot more than anyone else in the NFL.

JimmyG had an entire preseason to prepare for his first game or two. These were games where the opponents had no idea what his strengths and weaknesses were, and what plays they'd be running. Yes it's the same offense but every QB makes certain throws and reads better plus it's the beginning of the season and there are always new twists, twists the coaching staff had all offseason to put in place for JimmyG.

IMO there's a ton of caveat emptor in this deal. We can go back and scout him again to compare his college tape against the current college QBs. If I get intensely bored one of these weekends I'll go back in Game Pass and watch his game against AZ. Right now I don't see anything that would make me want him ahead of either Trubisky or Kizer. Watson has his issues but he's performed at the highest level of college football, and against a lot of future NFL talent. I'd be much more comfortable taking him ahead of Garoppolo.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jimmy-garo...-illinois-2013/

This logic just doesn't fly.

Relatively high draft pick. All three top QBs in this draft, and maybe some others will go earlier.

Hasn't had his value crash. Because he hasn't played.

Looks like a guy who can do much better than his draft position. According to the 1.5 games he played with freaking New England? New England!?

No QB in the draft has a better chance to succeed than JG? Are you related? That's crazy talk. At least one QB from this draft will likely have much better success than JG. Trubisky and Kizer have the tools, and have done it at a much higher collegiate level. And Watson just might be the next Cam Newton based upon how he's basically carried his team to two straight NCAA title games.

And even if it were a completely even playing field in terms of ability, or if a slight advantage went to JG, his contract requirements after one season would make it not worth the value. It would be better to just get a highly rated QB who may be ever so slightly worse than JG, and let him play into the role for much less money.

You are really comparing Watson with Cam Newton?

Just to play devil's advocate for a bit. There is no position in pro sports that is harder to fill than NFL QB. Brady is very close to the end of his career but even if he can make it 2-3 more seasons, if JimmyG is a valid top 15 NFL QB do you really think the "geniuses" that run the Patriots would let him go?

Even if Belichick wants to end his career at the same time as Brady I'm pretty sure the owner wants a successful team once they leave. Why would he let go of his next starting QB? Does Kraft think it's more logical to wait for his brand new front office/HC to find his next Pro Bowl QB? I'm certain he'd trust Belichick's opinion a lot more than anyone else in the NFL.

JimmyG had an entire preseason to prepare for his first game or two. These were games where the opponents had no idea what his strengths and weaknesses were, and what plays they'd be running. Yes it's the same offense but every QB makes certain throws and reads better plus it's the beginning of the season and there are always new twists, twists the coaching staff had all offseason to put in place for JimmyG.

IMO there's a ton of caveat emptor in this deal. We can go back and scout him again to compare his college tape against the current college QBs. If I get intensely bored one of these weekends I'll go back in Game Pass and watch his game against AZ. Right now I don't see anything that would make me want him ahead of either Trubisky or Kizer. Watson has his issues but he's performed at the highest level of college football, and against a lot of future NFL talent. I'd be much more comfortable taking him ahead of Garoppolo.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jimmy-garo...-illinois-2013/

Exactly.

You are really comparing Watson with Cam Newton?

Abso-freaking-lutely.

Cam Newton's JR year: Passing (2800yds, 30TDs, 7INTs), Rushing (1400yds,20TDs), Total (~4200yds, 50TDs)

Deshaun Waton's SR year: Passing (4100yds, 38TDs, 17INTs), Rushing (500yds, 8TDs), Total (~4600yds, 46TDs)

Looks pretty damn similar to me, and Deshaun Watson had a BETTER Junior year!

Deshaun Waton's JR year: Passing (4100yds, 35TDs, 13INTs), Rushing (1100yds, 12TDs), Total (~5200yds, 47TDs)

Also, keep in mind that Cam Newton had issues coming out of college. People said his mechanics were sloppy and he wasn't asked to make progression reads. Auburn's offense was read #1, then run because you're a crazy/great athlete. Then of course there is the fact he only played one year of DI ball. And that doesn't even get into the off-the-field issues.

What have people said about Watson:

1) Iffy accuracy at times? All three years he played at Clemson his accuracy was better than Cam Newton's Jr. year.

2) Hasn't had to make NFL progression reads? Sure. But he's made three years' worth of throws that prove his ability.

Watson absolutely deserves to be compared with Newton.