playing GM

Stinger226

My best case scenario for the offseason would be this.

Mike McCoy signs on as our assistant HC

Jeffery resigns as a team favorable contract

we sign as FAs

Kewaan Short- playmaker at 5t

Trumaine Johnson/CB

Eric Barry/FS we have the money to spend might as well go after the best

In the draft:

we trade our first round pick to Cleveland who then selects a QB and we get #12/2nd round pick/3rd round pick

with the 12th pick we take

Tim Williams/edge rusher next to Garrett the best edge rusher in the draft

2) we trade our 2nd round and our 4th round for Jimmy G (we get our QB prospect with NFL experience and less risk that a first round QB )

2) Ryan Ramcyzk/LT drops to the second round due to recovering from a hip injury

3) Jordan Leggeit/TE a deep TE draft this year

4) Kevin King/CB a big playmaking DB

5) Isaac Rochell/DL more depth for DL

70 K D Cannon/WR can play in the slot replacing Royal

we get our QB prospect with less risk

we add some playmakers in FA and draft

find the LT spot, that is huge

I have seen a quite a times now the theory that we could trade back with Cleveland. Have I missed something, have they said they are willing to deal? Cleveland has just as many, if not more, holes in the roster as any team in the top 5 of the draft, I don't think they're in a position to give up 2 additional picks. Just my thoughts as we're all guessing here.

I have seen a quite a times now the theory that we could trade back with Cleveland. Have I missed something, have they said they are willing to deal? Cleveland has just as many, if not more, holes in the roster as any team in the top 5 of the draft, I don't think they're in a position to give up 2 additional picks. Just my thoughts as we're all guessing here.

I think the general thought is that they are an atrocious team gaining (multiplying?) a reputation as league-wide joke, losing some of their fan-base support, and are in a unique position of having not only the #1 pick overall, but also another high 1st rounder. All of that creates a situation where they could reinvigorate the franchise by grabbing two blue-chips without sacrificing much.

I don't view Garrapolo as less risk than the top 3 options in this draft. Each has their own issues and concerns IMO. Is JimmyG's lack of arm strength a concern as the season goes deep into Dec/Jan (should we make the playoffs)?

He is no guarantee but he has time on the NFL field,plus working un Belick and Brady, I think it gives him an upper hand in being more ready from the 1st game on. If he was in this years draft he would be the first QB off the board.

STRENGTHS: Good, not great, height, body type and hand size. Better than adequate arm strength with a snap release that produces some juice. Live arm with his experience coming from a pass-happy offense.

Excellent passing vision with quick eyes to scan and a quick, natural delivery. Smart and executes the offense well. Quick intellectual process on the football field. Above average timing with little unnecessary movements and very good pace in his set-up.

Quick feet to evade pressure with the pocket mobility to move his lower body with his eyes focused downfield. Gets "happy feet" at times, but shows the ability to reset. Very good touch and overall placement with improved accuracy to all levels of the field throughout his career.

Level-headed and always under control with a strong leadership presence. Confident thrower and short memory. Elite career production as a four-year starter at the FCS level.

WEAKNESSES: Lack of elite velocity will show on some NFL throws. Needs to continue to improve his decision-making and not allow pressure to severely alter his process. Bad habit of forcing throws in small windows. Lower-than-ideal release point with an almost side-arm motion.

Needs to get his feet under control on a consistent basis and regularly step into his throws. Must continue and develop his pocket awareness and internal clock to feel pressure. Holds the ball too long at times and will take unnecessary hits.

Experience is in a FCS spread, shotgun attack; needs to become more acclimated with under-center snaps.

COMPARES TO: Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys - The comparison goes beyond coming from the same college program. Both lack elite physical skills, but are productive due to their timing, smarts and quick release to get the ball out.

--Dane Brugler

If his upside is Tony Romo, I can live with that.

With the #1 pick, they said they were taking Garrett, but its a franchise with such low expectations that getting a QB would boost the fans morale. They have extra draft picks and could be in the position to inject that energy into the franchise now.

He is no guarantee but he has time on the NFL field,plus working un Belick and Brady, I think it gives him an upper hand in being more ready from the 1st game on. If he was in this years draft he would be the first QB off the board.

STRENGTHS: Good, not great, height, body type and hand size. Better than adequate arm strength with a snap release that produces some juice. Live arm with his experience coming from a pass-happy offense.

Excellent passing vision with quick eyes to scan and a quick, natural delivery. Smart and executes the offense well. Quick intellectual process on the football field. Above average timing with little unnecessary movements and very good pace in his set-up.

Quick feet to evade pressure with the pocket mobility to move his lower body with his eyes focused downfield. Gets "happy feet" at times, but shows the ability to reset. Very good touch and overall placement with improved accuracy to all levels of the field throughout his career.

Level-headed and always under control with a strong leadership presence. Confident thrower and short memory. Elite career production as a four-year starter at the FCS level.

WEAKNESSES: Lack of elite velocity will show on some NFL throws. Needs to continue to improve his decision-making and not allow pressure to severely alter his process. Bad habit of forcing throws in small windows. Lower-than-ideal release point with an almost side-arm motion.

Needs to get his feet under control on a consistent basis and regularly step into his throws. Must continue and develop his pocket awareness and internal clock to feel pressure. Holds the ball too long at times and will take unnecessary hits.

Experience is in a FCS spread, shotgun attack; needs to become more acclimated with under-center snaps.

COMPARES TO: Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys - The comparison goes beyond coming from the same college program. Both lack elite physical skills, but are productive due to their timing, smarts and quick release to get the ball out.

--Dane Brugler

If his upside is Tony Romo, I can live with that.

The problem I have is that we have to give up so much to get him and he has done next to nothing in the NFL. He is almost as much as an unknown quantity as a college guy with more years on him, and we have to give up a 1st and 4th it is said? Protected in a dominant team like NE lots of people could look good. I would rather pick BPA and try to find a guy without the hefty price tag.

The problem I have is that we have to give up so much to get him and he has done next to nothing in the NFL. He is almost as much as an unknown quantity as a college guy with more years on him, and we have to give up a 1st and 4th it is said? Protected in a dominant team like NE lots of people could look good. I would rather pick BPA and try to find a guy without the hefty price tag.

I believe the proposal was a 2nd and a 4th for Jimmy G. I would do that.

Peace :bringit

NE said that is what they want, they wont be getting that for him. Chandler Jones, a very good edge rusher went for a 2nd and Johnathan Cooper.

My best case scenario for the offseason would be this.

Mike McCoy signs on as our assistant HC

Jeffery resigns as a team favorable contract

we sign as FAs

Kewaan Short- playmaker at 5t

Trumaine Johnson/CB

Eric Barry/FS we have the money to spend might as well go after the best

In the draft:

we trade our first round pick to Cleveland who then selects a QB and we get #12/2nd round pick/3rd round pick

with the 12th pick we take

Tim Williams/edge rusher next to Garrett the best edge rusher in the draft

2) we trade our 2nd round and our 4th round for Jimmy G (we get our QB prospect with NFL experience and less risk that a first round QB )

2) Ryan Ramcyzk/LT drops to the second round due to recovering from a hip injury

3) Jordan Leggeit/TE a deep TE draft this year

4) Kevin King/CB a big playmaking DB

5) Isaac Rochell/DL more depth for DL

70 K D Cannon/WR can play in the slot replacing Royal

we get our QB prospect with less risk

we add some playmakers in FA and draft

find the LT spot, that is huge

I would take this approach, but have a hard time seeing Cleveland making the trade only because they can do the same if NE would take a 2nd & 4th. If McDaniels gets hired as a HC in SF, I think they will target JG also with that same offer. But back to your proposal, it looks good and Pace would get praised for getting a QB prospect along with difference makers in the first two rounds.

I would take this approach, but have a hard time seeing Cleveland making the trade only because they can do the same if NE would take a 2nd & 4th. If McDaniels gets hired as a HC in SF, I think they will target JG also with that same offer. But back to your proposal, it looks good and Pace would get praised for getting a QB prospect along with difference makers in the first two rounds.

yes thats true, they could trade also, its a my best case scenario, odds are slim but its out there. I guess it all depends on who believes Jimmy G will be good, hard to say what other teams value.

Found this article, "Cautionary quarterback tales for Bears as playoffs move along", on the CSN Chicago Sports Website.

In the article this quote says it all as to my concern over trading for JG from NEP:

And the constant seems to be a mysterious assumption that if the guy is No. 2 to a pretty good quarterback, then HE must be a really good quarterback.

Scott Mitchell (behind Dan Marino), Matt Cassel (behind Brady), Matt Flynn (behind Aaron Rodgers), Kevin Kolb (behind Donovan McNabb), Chad Henne (behind Chad Pennington), Ryan Mallett (behind Brady), Osweiler (behind Peyton Manning) – all backups who gave enough of a tantalizing tease for some hopeful team to gamble – and lose, big.

Probably just a coincidence here, but Cassel, Mallett and now Garoppolo all back/backed up…yeah, THAT guy.

Found this article, "Cautionary quarterback tales for Bears as playoffs move along", on the CSN Chicago Sports Website.

In the article this quote says it all as to my concern over trading for JG from NEP:

Yes of course there is risk, its a crap shoot, but there is risk to take a college QB at 3. I think if we can get Jimmy G for a 2nd round pick it lessens the risk. He has more tape than the other choices, so its just putting yourself in the best position to be right. With him, you should get instant results, with a high drafted QB that could take 3 years to put him in the position where G is right now. Might as well roll the dice, instead of wait three years and find out it was crap. With a 2nd rounder at least you can still get an impact in the first round. With a draftee there, you waste both the first and waste your QB.

Yes of course there is risk, its a crap shoot, but there is risk to take a college QB at 3. I think if we can get Jimmy G for a 2nd round pick it lessens the risk. He has more tape than the other choices, so its just putting yourself in the best position to be right. With him, you should get instant results, with a high drafted QB that could take 3 years to put him in the position where G is right now. Might as well roll the dice, instead of wait three years and find out it was crap. With a 2nd rounder at least you can still get an impact in the first round. With a draftee there, you waste both the first and waste your QB.

I agree, and have stated in the past, that I would be willing to trade a 2nd round pick along with a 4th for Jimmy G.

Unfortunately, NEP is rumored to want a 1st round pick, not a 2nd round pick, in addition to a 4th rounder.

NEP drafted Jimmy G in the 2nd round so why would they turn around and trade him unless they could get more than they gave to get him?

Billy Boy is a pretty screwd negotiator.

I agree, and have stated in the past, that I would be willing to trade a 2nd round pick along with a 4th for Jimmy G.

Unfortunately, NEP is rumored to want a 1st round pick, not a 2nd round pick, in addition to a 4th rounder.

NEP drafted Jimmy G in the 2nd round so why would they turn around and trade him unless they could get more than they gave to get him?

Jimmy G was drafted with the 62nd pick. They would be getting the 36th pick for him plus a 4th. That's a good deal for the Patriots.

This article draws upon your concern and I agree with it... although not so much about the OTs.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosen...101-column.html

Some other points to consider. Garrapolo only played two games this year (before getting hurt). The injury by itself could prove concerning, especially if you think what NE wants for the trade; a 1st and 4th. But a point I saw elsewhere was that Barkley also played two games very well before running into issues. And he didn't even get hurt. For what it's worth, Brisset played admirably in the one (?) game he was in before he too got hurt.

I think the question that bears repeating; why would Belichick want to trade Brady's potential back up is he's so good? How much longer can Brady play the way he's been going? Is a Brisset the answer for them or a potential college prospect that we should be considering?

This article draws upon your concern and I agree with it... although not so much about the OTs.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosen...101-column.html

Ouch, that article is enough to put some Bear Fans on suicide watch, LOL.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with some of the points he makes.

Unfortunately, for the last 30 years many of us have been on suicide watch. God, I gotta tust that Pace is the second coming and that we are on the way to sinking the Puckers and everyone else.

Jimmy G was drafted with the 62nd pick. They would be getting the 36th pick for him plus a 4th. That's a good deal for the Patriots.

My gut feeling tells me Billy Boy will want more. I hope you are right. I would be willing to roll the dice with the trade you are proposing for Jimmy G. I have some doubts about him but every option I see on the table for the Bears QB in 2017 has major question marks.

My first declaration about the Bears drafting; at 3 take the top player on the board (I'm thinking Allen), trade back in to round 1 for the top QB give up your 2nd and a 3rd in 2018( I like Kizer here) on the board to have him under control longer with a first round contract(5 years). Your next pick has to be the top OT ( I like Temples Dion Dawkins here) on the board. Its hard to project any further without the compensatory picks figured out.

I agree with just about the entire article, including the OTs. The starters are subpar at best. It would be nice one year to see our QB, whoever it is, stand in the pocket forever like Aaron Rogers and Tom Brady seem to always do. Protection has a lot to do with QB production.

Having said that, I don't see how OT could be drafted in rd 1 & 2, considering the defensive depth in this draft.

My gut feeling tells me Billy Boy will want more. I hope you are right. I would be willing to roll the dice with the trade you are proposing for Jimmy G. I have some doubts about him but every option I see on the table for the Bears QB in 2017 has major question marks.

First off, I'm bored so I read a couple threads on a Patriots board. How's that for tolerance? Anyway, it's not clear the Patriots have Garoppolo on the trading block. Shefter simply said that he thinks if they were to trade him the offer would have to be what the Vikings gave up for Bradford (1st/4th).

Now if they are seriously interested in trading Garoppolo we have to ask ourselves...

For me whenever someone in a QB starved league doesn't want their future starting QB it's a huge question mark, especially coming from a team that is right at the end of their franchise QB's run. There are no reasons the Patriots cannot give Garoppolo a contract extension into the 2018/19 seasons. If Garoppolo loved the organization so much and felt that his best shot at future success was there then absolutely stay and continue to learn from Brady until it was his turn. They have $68mil in cap space, 3rd most in the NFL! They have some key players to sign but this is far from a team in dire straits.

Trading Garoppolo means Belichick is saying is that he can find Brady's replacement in either late 1st Rd/early 2nd Rd, one that is better than what he has on his roster today in Garoppolo and Brissett. Or his answer is Brissett, a QB who didn't even know any of the offense when he had to take the field early this year. At which point we have to say, if Belihick sees a future starting QB out there then why don't we? And if Brissett is really better than JG why then do we want JG? Despite their question marks, the top 3 QBs in this draft are all better prospects than Garoppolo.

Keep in mind that in the last draft Belichick was so confident in JG that he felt he had to use the 91st pick in the draft on Brissett. That means he used a pick to put someone on the bench (3rd QB), a pick that could have easily brought them any number of players that contributed to their teams this year at positions the Patriots needed help in: TE Higbee, RB in Howard, QB Prescott. Why not grab one of those players to help win a Superbowl, and then, in the 2017 draft grab the QB? Or he could wait until the 2018 draft when JG leaves in FA, which by the way he could tag him and trade him at that time. Salary cap limits don't apply in the first part of the offseason.

The 49ers traded Montana. Packers cut Favre knowing they had Rodgers. Colts cut Manning knowing they could draft Luck. Teams absolutely look to the future when the future is already on the roster or knocking on the door. I see zero reasons the Patriots would not be thinking the same way. If JG is top 15 QB material there's no way they let him leave. If he's not top 15 QB material there's no reason we should want him.

First off, I'm bored so I read a couple threads on a Patriots board. How's that for tolerance? Anyway, it's not clear the Patriots have Garoppolo on the trading block. Shefter simply said that he thinks if they were to trade him the offer would have to be what the Vikings gave up for Bradford (1st/4th).

Now if they are seriously interested in trading Garoppolo we have to ask ourselves...

AZ54, Great post!

Agree. Virtually everything says that trading for JG would be a big mistake. I just don't understand how people are willing to give up significant draft picks - picks the Bears need - to a team that is largely thought of as the smartest franchise in the NFL, with an aging QB, that felt the need to draft a third string QB when a journeyman would have done just fine, that has shown a history of sending off their fool's gold QBs to other teams, for an apparently dispensable backup.