Finding a place-holder at QB

jason

1. Assume the QBs fly off the chart before most believe they're graded.

2. This year's crop of QBs are all questionable.

3. Bears skip QB at 3.

4. Tons of defensive talent in this draft.

5. The Bears will need a placeholder instead of Hoyer & Barkley.

I present to you, Matt Schaub, ladies and gentlemen.

Neither Garrapalo nor Glennon has shown production and consistency in the NFL. Schaub has. Also, Schaub won't cost an arm and a leg. To get the shot of starting - after sitting behind rookie phenom Carr, then Flacco, then Ryan - would be a huge bonus to him. Not to mention the fact he won't cost any draft picks. There is virtually no uncertainty about him. Everyone knows, including him, that he's a place-holder until the 2018 draft where one of the following QBs are likely available:

Sam Darnold, QB, USC

Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

I like that approach a lot better when you consider the talent the Bears could get this year. And if it worried the Bears' front office too much, they could use one of the 4th rounders on a developmental QB...like they should have last year.

:puke

I didn't know he was still in the league.

Agreed. Not sure what has gotten into you but theoretically we shouldn't be hoping to be drafting high enough next year for one of those other candidates you mention. Matt Shaub is not the solution. Thy have Barkley, Hoyer and Shaw already on the books and are familiar with the O already. See if one of them could do it and still draft Watson if not at three,trade down in first and still get him.

3. Bears skip QB at 3.

Neither Garrapalo nor Glennon has shown production and consistency in the NFL. Schaub has. Also, Schaub won't cost an arm and a leg. To get the shot of starting - after sitting behind rookie phenom Carr, then Flacco, then Ryan - would be a huge bonus to him. Not to mention the fact he won't cost any draft picks. There is virtually no uncertainty about him. Everyone knows, including him, that he's a place-holder until the 2018 draft where one of the following QBs are likely available:

Sam Darnold, QB, USC

Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

I like that approach a lot better when you consider the talent the Bears could get this year. And if it worried the Bears' front office too much, they could use one of the 4th rounders on a developmental QB...like they should have last year.

Are we adding Schaub to win games? He is going to be 36 and hasn't played a meaningful down of football in a long time. I don't know if we can say there is "virtually no uncertainty about him" because if he was any good, he would be starting in the NFL somewhere.

So I guess I would need to know what the expectation is for him? Now, if it is to win 6-8 games, I think Hoyer is perfectly capable of doing that.

The point to it all is, if unknowns are going to be brought in at high cost, it makes more sense to spend very little and get a known quantity. There's virtually no risk. No huge upside, but he's definitely better than Hoyer, Barkley, or Shaw.

The point to it all is, if unknowns are going to be brought in at high cost, it makes more sense to spend very little and get a known quantity. There's virtually no risk. No huge upside, but he's definitely better than Hoyer, Barkley, or Shaw.

Schaub has the record for most consecutive games with a pick-6 at 4. He went out in style.

Now if you are bringing him in with no expectations, but hoping he can find some of that magic that he had in 2009, 2010, or 2012, then sure, but I don't know if a 36-yr old Schaub in a new system is better than Hoyer at this point.

I would rather go with a rookie or stay with Hoyer/Shaw at this point.

We might as well keep Jay Cutler at that point. The Bears will target a QB early and draft him round 1. Whether they take him at pick 3, trade down some, or trade back into the first round. Watson, Kizer, Mahomes, and Trubisky will all most likely go in the first with Cleveland, San Fran, Chicago, NY Jets, Buffalo, and Arizona all in the hunt. It is a reality, there isn't any way around it.

We might as well keep Jay Cutler at that point. The Bears will target a QB early and draft him round 1. Whether they take him at pick 3, trade down some, or trade back into the first round. Watson, Kizer, Mahomes, and Trubisky will all most likely go in the first with Cleveland, San Fran, Chicago, NY Jets, Buffalo, and Arizona all in the hunt. It is a reality, there isn't any way around it.

Yup!

I would rather trade for Jimmy G than bring back Cutler. His time here needs to end.

Peace :dabears

I'm not sure Mahomes goes in the 1st. From a physical talent view he has what you want. However, he plays the game like Favre (and Cutler) and pulling that out his habits is going to take time, if it's even possible. Holmgren managed to get Favre to reign it in just enough to be successful but there's a reason he threw 6 INTs in one playoff game. 5 INTs in another. 3 INTs in another...

The major difference between a place-holder veteran like Schaub and Cutler is the money. Schaub likely gets $2-$3M per year. Cutler likely gets three times that amount.

I still am a proponent of signing Romo and drafting a Qb in the 2nd round (even potentially moving into the back end of the 1st round to draft one). One name we haven't talked about is Phillip Rivers. If he puts himself on the block (given he does not want to play in LA), are people opposed to acquiring him? I presume with him forcing a deal, the Chargers wouldn't have a ton of leverage. He's on the older side, but I'd absolutely take him and would take him over every QB that is realistically available.

I still am a proponent of signing Romo and drafting a Qb in the 2nd round (even potentially moving into the back end of the 1st round to draft one). One name we haven't talked about is Phillip Rivers. If he puts himself on the block (given he does not want to play in LA), are people opposed to acquiring him? I presume with him forcing a deal, the Chargers wouldn't have a ton of leverage. He's on the older side, but I'd absolutely take him and would take him over every QB that is realistically available.

Romo has had surgeries 2 years running, has only started 4 games in 2 years. the 4 he started in 2015 he threw 5 TDs to 7 INTs.

If this was 3 years ago before multiple back injuries I would be all for trading for Romo, IF he is even made available, only Jerry knows.

However, at this point, I don't think it would be a wise move. Hell, I could be wrong, maybe he starts all 16 regular season games in 2017, wins comeback player of the year, and has success in the post season. OR. WHAT I FEAR, he winds up injuring his back again and misses most if not all of 2017 before finally retiring.

Think about it, everyone says Dallas always has one of the best OLs in the NFL yet Romo has had 2 significant back injuries. Is he going to fare better with a lesser OL providing him protection?

Romo has had surgeries 2 years running, has only started 4 games in 2 years. the 4 he started in 2015 he threw 5 TDs to 7 INTs.

If this was 3 years ago before multiple back injuries I would be all for trading for Romo, IF he is even made available, only Jerry knows.

However, at this point, I don't think it would be a wise move. Hell, I could be wrong, maybe he starts all 16 regular season games in 2017, wins comeback player of the year, and has success in the post season. OR. WHAT I FEAR, he winds up injuring his back again and misses most if not all of 2017 before finally retiring.

Think about it, everyone says Dallas always has one of the best OLs in the NFL yet Romo has had 2 significant back injuries. Is he going to fare better with a lesser OL providing him protection?

NO ROMO! Mr. injury to replace the injuries we have? PLEASE think about it and for Halas' sake say NO!!!!!!!!!

3. Bears skip QB at 3.

Sam Darnold, QB, USC

Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

That is a bad idea. Jimmy have been very productive when he has played , his problem is he hasnt played much. Schaub? Might as well make the transition with Hoyer. You saying he is worth getting since he is cheap? Bad idea. We have money, so if we pay to keep Cutler that would be a better idea than Schaub. I would like going after Jimmy G. , yes he will cost, but using a #3 pick to take a QB prospect rated as a possible 2nd round pick is expensive too. I think if we can get Jimmy G with a 2nd and a fourth, that is our best value. We can still get a stud at 3, and in the third and fourth round grab CB and S prospect that are both deep this year.

I do love next years QB class a whole heckofa lot more than this years. That said, I think I'd rather give Ryan Mallet, Ryan Nassib, or Landry Jones a shot before I go after Shaub.

I do think Romo makes the most sense though. Is he an injury risk? Absolutely, but if he stays healthy, you have a legitamte shot at the playoffs. If he gets hurt? Oh well, the bears season is probably lost outside of a healthy Romo anyway.

In no circumstances do i think we should give up a first for Jimmy G. If they come down off that 1st round desire and will take a 2nd and a 44th maybeeeee.