FA OT

AZ54

Scanning around for tidbits of info and came across one comment from a message board where they liked Ty Nsekhe as a FA signing. Said he did pretty good when filling in for Trent Williams on the Redskins.

Tweet from Junior Gallette: https://twitter.com/JovaisG/status/797842366040313856

"Ty Nsehke Would start Left Tackle on 80% of teams in the League so he's ready but it won't be easy against a Top tier rusher in Everson"

Trent Williams gives him some praise here as well:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2...s-2-0/89217218/

He's 31 years old but was with the Saints in 2014 so Pace has some familiarity with him. Redskins have the exclusive rights to him but I suspect he'll want to test the waters and see what he can get before signing a deal. We'll have to give him far more than minimum wage but we're a bottom feeder who has to overpay right now. He might be a very good option and there's one thing Fox will guarantee is that he gets a chance to start which he won't have in Washington. Pace could easily work in contract incentives should he earn and hold onto a starting job.

Scanning around for tidbits of info and came across one comment from a message board where they liked Ty Nsekhe as a FA signing. Said he did pretty good when filling in for Trent Williams on the Redskins.

Tweet from Junior Gallette: https://twitter.com/JovaisG/status/797842366040313856

"Ty Nsehke Would start Left Tackle on 80% of teams in the League so he's ready but it won't be easy against a Top tier rusher in Everson"

Trent Williams gives him some praise here as well:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2...s-2-0/89217218/

He's 31 years old but was with the Saints in 2014 so Pace has some familiarity with him. Redskins have the exclusive rights to him but I suspect he'll want to test the waters and see what he can get before signing a deal. We'll have to give him far more than minimum wage but we're a bottom feeder who has to overpay right now. He might be a very good option and there's one thing Fox will guarantee is that he gets a chance to start which he won't have in Washington. Pace could easily work in contract incentives should he earn and hold onto a starting job.

He seems like an intriguing prospect, but the age doesn't seem to be in this front office's wheel house.

He's too old

Pace has signed

Josh Sitton for $7mil/yr at the age of 30 (Just saw him in the Pro Bowl)

Jerrell Freeman for $4mil/yr at the age of 30 (Bears leading tackler almost double any other Bears defender)

Tracy Porter for $4mil/yr at the age of 30 (Aug birthday) (Bears best CB even playing injured)

Zach Miller for $3mil/yr at the age of 31 (Bears best TE)

The youth movement is great for the future but to ignore the value of veterans who are starting the backend of their careers is wrong. The veterans he has signed shows he's not blind to that fact and their performance versus many of the younger players certainly backs up the argument. I think Pace will acknowledge that this offseason, at least with a few FA signings.

I agree that over spending for big name players beyond the age of 30 is something we need to stay away from, at least if it requires a huge guarantee we can't get out from under. In this case I'm talking about a guy who might make as much as $1.5-2mil/yr, in a time when the average NFL contract (simple math - cap divided by #players) is about $3mil/yr. Nsekhe has been a career backup so he should have low wear and tear on his body. If he's good enough to challenge either Leno or Massie as starters then he should be on our radar. I can't vouch for him being that good, I was hoping someone had seen him play this year. If he is a player who can buy us a couple years to find and develop a good young prospect at OT then that's a good deal IMO.

Pace has signed

Josh Sitton for $7mil/yr at the age of 30 (Just saw him in the Pro Bowl)

Jerrell Freeman for $4mil/yr at the age of 30 (Bears leading tackler almost double any other Bears defender)

Tracy Porter for $4mil/yr at the age of 30 (Aug birthday) (Bears best CB even playing injured)

Zach Miller for $3mil/yr at the age of 31 (Bears best TE)

The youth movement is great for the future but to ignore the value of veterans who are starting the backend of their careers is wrong. The veterans he has signed shows he's not blind to that fact and their performance versus many of the younger players certainly backs up the argument. I think Pace will acknowledge that this offseason, at least with a few FA signings.

I agree that over spending for big name players beyond the age of 30 is something we need to stay away from, at least if it requires a huge guarantee we can't get out from under. In this case I'm talking about a guy who might make as much as $1.5-2mil/yr, in a time when the average NFL contract (simple math - cap divided by #players) is about $3mil/yr. Nsekhe has been a career backup so he should have low wear and tear on his body. If he's good enough to challenge either Leno or Massie as starters then he should be on our radar. I can't vouch for him being that good, I was hoping someone had seen him play this year. If he is a player who can buy us a couple years to find and develop a good young prospect at OT then that's a good deal IMO.

I think if you can get quality at a fair price , he has shown he will do it. This year especially because of mounting pressure to win.