New CSN Chicago 2017 Mock Draft

Pixote

I sometimes get tired of mock drafts in that they all seem to rubber stamp themselves and then just change a few selections here and there to make it look like the author of the mock draft did not cheat, LOL

The new CSN CHICAGO'S 2017 NFL MOCK DRAFT: VERSION 1.0 was just posted on 2/7 and I found to be interesting.

What I found interesting, despite some of our posters on this forum mentioning it in the past, 2 options were given that I do not believe I have seen any other mock draft predict.

1) First round selection of Solomon Thomas (DL), Stanford, nice explanation given as to why this selection was made.

2) Predicting the Bears will deal their second-rounder, plus a 2018 third-round selection to the Patriots for Jimmy Garoppolo.

Like I said, I enjoy seeing Mock Drafts that are reasonable (not involving 20 trades and 1st round picks projected in the 3rd round, LOL) and, more importantly, does not look like the author sent in a modified rubber stamped mock they found on the net.

Agree or disagree with it, at least it gives us something to think about.

I sometimes get tired of mock drafts in that they all seem to rubber stamp themselves and then just change a few selections here and there to make it look like the author of the mock draft did not cheat, LOL

The new CSN CHICAGO'S 2017 NFL MOCK DRAFT: VERSION 1.0 was just posted on 2/7 and I found to be interesting.

What I found interesting, despite some of our posters on this forum mentioning it in the past, 2 options were given that I do not believe I have seen any other mock draft predict.

1) First round selection of Solomon Thomas (DL), Stanford, nice explanation given as to why this selection was made.

2) Predicting the Bears will deal their second-rounder, plus a 2018 third-round selection to the Patriots for Jimmy Garoppolo.

Like I said, I enjoy seeing Mock Drafts that are reasonable (not involving 20 trades and 1st round picks projected in the 3rd round, LOL) and, more importantly, does not look like the author sent in a modified rubber stamped mock they found on the net.

Agree or disagree with it, at least it gives us something to think about.

I just don't like it. Thomas is well behind the other options in my opinion. I'd rather have Garrett (won't be there), Allen, Adams, or Hooker.

I just don't like it. Thomas is well behind the other options in my opinion. I'd rather have Garrett (won't be there), Allen, Adams, or Hooker.

You listed every body that is better than the Thomas pick. He doesnt have the same stats coming out of college that J J Watts had , so just because there are the same size? or have a quick first step? I dont get it. Garrett and Allen are two best picks in the draft. I like Adams because of how he will influence the our defense, but will settle on any of those names.

You listed every body that is better than the Thomas pick. He doesnt have the same stats coming out of college that J J Watts had , so just because there are the same size? or have a quick first step? I dont get it. Garrett and Allen are two best picks in the draft. I like Adams because of how he will influence the our defense, but will settle on any of those names.

I agree with you guys, I can not see drafting Solomon Thomas at #3, there are too many other possibilities I like over him.

I posted it not because I agree with the mock draft, but enjoy reading one that offers a different view, right or wrong.

I am tired of viewing mock drafts which 7 out of 10 have Jonathan Allen as our selection at #3, especially when I am not sure I am in favor of J Allen at #3 - he showed me nothing to get hyped about in the playoffs and now with the history of injuries in question, I would not take him at #3.

I haven't had time to watch any film on him, but I do like that he is compared to Justin Smith who was a stud under Fangio.

That might be the best comp for him. He's not extremely agile (as Floyd is) but he has very quick feet and the power to get an edge on a blocker, and then around them. For me he's just a quicker and stronger version of Pernell McPhee.

That might be the best comp for him. He's not extremely agile (as Floyd is) but he has very quick feet and the power to get an edge on a blocker, and then around them. For me he's just a quicker and stronger version of Pernell McPhee.

If Allen turns into Leonard Williams and Thomas turns into McPhee, who do you draft?

If Allen turns into Leonard Williams and Thomas turns into McPhee, who do you draft?

I'm not as high on Allen as others are. I'm higher on Thomas than others are so I see them somewhat comparable. I really need to see what they do at the combine to better compare their skills and talents. Thomas will always play lighter than Allen but with 2 or 3 shoulder surgeries already can Allen really hold up playing inside in the NFL? We don't get info on what those surgeries were for either.

I'm not as high on Allen as others are. I'm higher on Thomas than others are so I see them somewhat comparable. I really need to see what they do at the combine to better compare their skills and talents. Thomas will always play lighter than Allen but with 2 or 3 shoulder surgeries already can Allen really hold up playing inside in the NFL? We don't get info on what those surgeries were for either.

I was surprised this morning to find Rotoworld NFL Mock Draft 2.0 posted with "out of the box" results.

What surprised me is Solomon Thomas was projected #2, to SF, with the Bears taking Trubisky at #3 and J. Allen slipping to number 4.

Again, I did not follow college football last year (way too busy) to give a good opinion on this.

(I am now officially retired and anxious to start following NCAAF once again this year)

It just seems to me I am beginning to see a trend of Solomon Thomas climbing the boards whereas J Allen seems to be dropping, possibly do to concerns about the shoulder surgeries and if this would indicate a future durability issue in the NFL.

I was surprised this morning to find Rotoworld NFL Mock Draft 2.0 posted with "out of the box" results. What surprised me is Solomon Thomas was projected #2, to SF, with the Bears taking Trubisky at #3 and J. Allen slipping to number 4. Again, I did not follow college football last year (way too busy) to give a good opinion on this. (I am now officially retired and anxious to start following NCAAF once again this year) It just seems to me I am beginning to see a trend of Solomon Thomas climbing the boards whereas J Allen seems to be dropping, possibly do to concerns about the shoulder surgeries and if this would indicate a future durability issue in the NFL.

Congrats on being officially retired, Pix!

I see the dark horse Edge Rush sleeper to be is Derek Barnett from Tennessee. Once the combine is complete the shuffle will start again.

I was surprised this morning to find Rotoworld NFL Mock Draft 2.0 posted with "out of the box" results.

What surprised me is Solomon Thomas was projected #2, to SF, with the Bears taking Trubisky at #3 and J. Allen slipping to number 4.

Again, I did not follow college football last year (way too busy) to give a good opinion on this.

(I am now officially retired and anxious to start following NCAAF once again this year)

It just seems to me I am beginning to see a trend of Solomon Thomas climbing the boards whereas J Allen seems to be dropping, possibly do to concerns about the shoulder surgeries and if this would indicate a future durability issue in the NFL.

We all know replacing Unrein as our starter at RDE needs to be done. Remember, according to Fangio we're in a 3-4 alignment about 40% of the time. The other 60% we're in a 4-3 alignment. That means our 4-3 LDE, where I think Thomas a good fit, is getting more snaps than our 3-4 RDE, where Allen is the better fit. I'm well aware of my scouting limitations but here's what D. Jeremiah says: "Overall, Thomas could excel as a base end on run downs with the ability to kick inside and terrorize guards on passing downs."

Willie Young is nothing more than a nice rotational player. More concerning is that Pernell McPhee may never again be able to handle a full-time starting role. Are we going to pay $7mil/yr for a part-time player? This year, with no real options on the roster, I'd say yes. However, in 2018 McPhee can be cut with $1mil dead money, and $7mil cap savings. It is quite possible the coaches and front office view finding a 4-3 LDE a slightly higher priority than the 3-4 RDE we're focused on, or at least equal needs. There is also Bullard who was drafted to fill that 3-4 RDE role and by draft time the team will have an idea if he's putting in the work needed to improve.

FWIW McPhee can be cut this year with just $1.5mil dead money and $6mil in cap space so cutting him is a realistic possibility if his replacement (or replacements since it might be a combo of two players) is on the roster.

We all know replacing Unrein as our starter at RDE needs to be done. Remember, according to Fangio we're in a 3-4 alignment about 40% of the time. The other 60% we're in a 4-3 alignment. That means our 4-3 LDE, where I think Thomas a good fit, is getting more snaps than our 3-4 RDE, where Allen is the better fit. I'm well aware of my scouting limitations but here's what D. Jeremiah says: "Overall, Thomas could excel as a base end on run downs with the ability to kick inside and terrorize guards on passing downs."

Willie Young is nothing more than a nice rotational player. More concerning is that Pernell McPhee may never again be able to handle a full-time starting role. Are we going to pay $7mil/yr for a part-time player? This year, with no real options on the roster, I'd say yes. However, in 2018 McPhee can be cut with $1mil dead money, and $7mil cap savings. It is quite possible the coaches and front office view finding a 4-3 LDE a slightly higher priority than the 3-4 RDE we're focused on, or at least equal needs. There is also Bullard who was drafted to fill that 3-4 RDE role and by draft time the team will have an idea if he's putting in the work needed to improve.

FWIW McPhee can be cut this year with just $1.5mil dead money and $6mil in cap space so cutting him is a realistic possibility if his replacement (or replacements since it might be a combo of two players) is on the roster.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it's the #1 priority. With one more dangerous guy on the front 3, that's less time for the opposing QBs. Allows us to have lesser DBs. Slower DBs. Unrein was just not very good last year - it's clear if you look at his stats.