Bears ink Kush for 2 years

GakMan23

Good move. For the first time in a very long time we might actually have some good depth on the interior of the Oline this year.

Interior? Yes. With Kush backing up either guard, Whitehair able to play guard or center, and Grasu coming back, there looks like good upside on the interior.

On the exterior? Not so much. Neither Leno nor Massie is good. They gave up a bunch of hurries, sacks, and committed way too many penalties. Mike Adams isn't great either.

Interior? Yes. With Kush backing up either guard, Whitehair able to play guard or center, and Grasu coming back, there looks like good upside on the interior.

On the exterior? Not so much. Neither Leno nor Massie is good. They gave up a bunch of hurries, sacks, and committed way too many penalties. Mike Adams isn't great either.

They absolutely need to upgrade the T spot.

Leno and Massie were ranked 42 and 44 respectfully on PFF tackly rating list.

So I do not see it as a first or second round pick in draft.

Also none of the OTs available in FA is rated higher than both of them.

I am now thinking there wont be one drafted before the 4th round and will end of being a prospect for the future.

Leno and Massie are going to be our Ts for the coming year.

They absolutely need to upgrade the T spot.

Leno and Massie were ranked 42 and 44 respectfully on PFF tackly rating list.

So I do not see it as a first or second round pick in draft.

Also none of the OTs available in FA is rated higher than both of them.

I am now thinking there wont be one drafted before the 4th round and will end of being a prospect for the future.

Leno and Massie are going to be our Ts for the coming year.

Miami just cut LT Brandon Albert, he can sign anywhere now since he is a vested veteran. Wonder if Pace will give him a call?

I believe both Leno and Massie blocked successfully for the best rookie RB in the NFL. They also managed to pass protect well enough for Hoyer to put up four 300+yd games, and Matt Barkley put up three 300+ yard games. Those guys were throwing to who on the WR corps?

Massie started out really bad but once he got settled in with the new offense he was good. Later in the season he had to fight through an injury that affected his play. I'm ok with him again at RT and he won't have to go through the learning curve like he did last year. He'll always struggle against speed rushers but he'll also bury them on running plays. I think he's good enough for us going forward.

Leno still has some work to do but again he wasn't horrible, there are inconsistencies in his game and he's limited against elite speed rushers. Leno does enough on run downs as a zone blocker to be effective but he doesn't have enough power, or play with enough leverage to move players around. I see more room or need here for an upgrade (vs. Massie) but this is not the draft to find that player, nor is there someone available in FA.

Adams doesn't belong in the NFL, or at least not on the Bears.

We need to find a solid backup OT that can challenge Leno to start on the left side. Brandon Albert seems to fit that perfectly. He's no longer a player you sign to be a multi-year starter but he might be able to give us one to two good years. Nor do I don't know if Albert can handle the RT spot. As a backup/starter caliber player he'd be a good addition for the right price. We'll have to wait and see if his market price comes down to what we want to spend. Unfortunately everyone knows this is a bad draft and bad FA year for OTs so that will inflate his value.

Or we grab someone with potential in the draft but that's most likely not going to be a player who is ready to start this year. Certainly not start at LT.

Best option this year: Find a good blocking TE to help out on one side or the other. Let the RB assist the OT on the other side if need be.

I believe both Leno and Massie blocked successfully for the best rookie RB in the NFL. They also managed to pass protect well enough for Hoyer to put up four 300+yd games, and Matt Barkley put up three 300+ yard games. Those guys were throwing to who on the WR corps?

Massie started out really bad but once he got settled in with the new offense he was good. Later in the season he had to fight through an injury that affected his play. I'm ok with him again at RT and he won't have to go through the learning curve like he did last year. He'll always struggle against speed rushers but he'll also bury them on running plays. I think he's good enough for us going forward.

Leno still has some work to do but again he wasn't horrible, there are inconsistencies in his game and he's limited against elite speed rushers. Leno does enough on run downs as a zone blocker to be effective but he doesn't have enough power, or play with enough leverage to move players around. I see more room or need here for an upgrade (vs. Massie) but this is not the draft to find that player, nor is there someone available in FA.

Adams doesn't belong in the NFL, or at least not on the Bears.

We need to find a solid backup OT that can challenge Leno to start on the left side. Brandon Albert seems to fit that perfectly. He's no longer a player you sign to be a multi-year starter but he might be able to give us one to two good years. Nor do I don't know if Albert can handle the RT spot. As a backup/starter caliber player he'd be a good addition for the right price. We'll have to wait and see if his market price comes down to what we want to spend. Unfortunately everyone knows this is a bad draft and bad FA year for OTs so that will inflate his value.

Or we grab someone with potential in the draft but that's most likely not going to be a player who is ready to start this year. Certainly not start at LT.

Best option this year: Find a good blocking TE to help out on one side or the other. Let the RB assist the OT on the other side if need be.

It's too simplistic to say "hey those guys started when the RB had a good game," so they must be good! Way too simplistic.

For having such lauded rushing, the Bears were in the bottom half of the league in rushing TDs, rushing yards, and rushing 1st downs.

And the interior of the line was just so dominating, that it's difficult to display the inadequacies of the tackles without breaking down film play-by-play. For instance, did you know (I didn't before researching), that the interior of the Bears' OL only had one negative play all year? Did you know the interior of the Bears' OL was 100% successful in short yardage situations (i.e. 3rd or 4th and 2 or less)? Pretty impressive stuff.

And I feel dirty even linking or mentioning it, but PFF unfortunately has the only place I can find a total tally of hurries to backup my previous statement.

Make no mistake, both tackles are average at best, and both need to be upgraded. (BTW - Looks like Branden Albert won't be coming to Chicago.)

It's too simplistic to say "hey those guys started when the RB had a good game," so they must be good! Way too simplistic.

For having such lauded rushing, the Bears were in the bottom half of the league in rushing TDs, rushing yards, and rushing 1st downs.

And the interior of the line was just so dominating, that it's difficult to display the inadequacies of the tackles without breaking down film play-by-play. For instance, did you know (I didn't before researching), that the interior of the Bears' OL only had one negative play all year? Did you know the interior of the Bears' OL was 100% successful in short yardage situations (i.e. 3rd or 4th and 2 or less)? Pretty impressive stuff.

And I feel dirty even linking or mentioning it, but PFF unfortunately has the only place I can find a total tally of hurries to backup my previous statement.

Make no mistake, both tackles are average at best, and both need to be upgraded. (BTW - Looks like Branden Albert won't be coming to Chicago.)

Most definitely need to be ungraded, unless we prioritize it in the draft, at 1 or 2 drafted spots, probably wont be drafting a starter for this year.

I seen where Kelvin Beschum was released by Jack, or possible to take a chance on Luke Joeckel ?

Neither are top of the food chain but may be better than Leno.

Not saying we wouldn't like to have better players at OT. I'm saying they are far from the highest priority. I don't know what PFF says about our DB performance but I doubt it's anywhere close to average.