PFF Unit Comparison

adam

I wanted to take a unit approach look to evaluating our offseason needs. I think it is pretty evident where we need help, but wanted to verify it with some comparisons (by unit). So I looked at PFF Rankings (and will follow with a few more) to see how we looked compared to NE and ATL.

Here are the latest rankings I could find by unit:

NE

QB - 1st, OLine - 10th, Receiving Corps - 6th, RB Units - 18th

Front-7 - 18th, Secondary - 3rd

ATL

QB - 2nd, OLine - 6th, Receiving Corps - 1st, RB Units - 8th

Front-7 - 24th, Secondary - 6th

CHI

QB - 26th, OLine - 15th, Receiving Corps - 28th, RB Units - 17th

Front-7 - 23rd, Secondary - 30th

This is how we compared to the lower of the two Super Bowl teams:

-24 QB, -5 OL, -22 WR/TE, +1 RB, +1 DL/LB, -24 DB

Looking at that, we have critical needs at QB and DB, with WR/TE a close 3rd, then there is a huge gap to OLine where our need centers around our Tackles. RB and Front-7 are actually better than the lower SB team, though our Front-7 is still ranked 23rd. So using this as an offseason priority list, it would look something like this:

QB, DB, WR/TE, OL, DL

Nothing too surprising there, however, I think I was giving our Receiving Corps too much credit and may have to revisit drafting a WR or TE earlier than I originally thought we needed to. Also, there is a case to be made that we need multiple DB's before going DL.

I wanted to take a unit approach look to evaluating our offseason needs. I think it is pretty evident where we need help, but wanted to verify it with some comparisons (by unit). So I looked at PFF Rankings (and will follow with a few more) to see how we looked compared to NE and ATL.

Here are the latest rankings I could find by unit:

NE

QB - 1st, OLine - 10th, Receiving Corps - 6th, RB Units - 18th

Front-7 - 18th, Secondary - 3rd

ATL

QB - 2nd, OLine - 6th, Receiving Corps - 1st, RB Units - 8th

Front-7 - 24th, Secondary - 6th

CHI

QB - 26th, OLine - 15th, Receiving Corps - 28th, RB Units - 17th

Front-7 - 23rd, Secondary - 30th

This is how we compared to the lower of the two Super Bowl teams:

-24 QB, -5 OL, -22 WR/TE, +1 RB, +1 DL/LB, -24 DB

Looking at that, we have critical needs at QB and DB, with WR/TE a close 3rd, then there is a huge gap to OLine where our need centers around our Tackles. RB and Front-7 are actually better than the lower SB team, though our Front-7 is still ranked 23rd. So using this as an offseason priority list, it would look something like this:

QB, DB, WR/TE, OL, DL

Nothing too surprising there, however, I think I was giving our Receiving Corps too much credit and may have to revisit drafting a WR or TE earlier than I originally thought we needed to. Also, there is a case to be made that we need multiple DB's before going DL.

Nothing too surprising here. Wonder if you were to take health into consideration were these numbers end up. For example we lost Goldman for a big part of the season, Alshon to suspension, Kevin White, Zach Miller, Kyle Long . I would still have QB and DB's as biggest needs.