Combine Open Thread

adam

Christian McCaffrey is killing it, definitely a first round lock. Hopefully more RBs go in the first, which would be helpful for the Bears 2nd round pick.

QBs measured in. Looks like a 6'2" class besides Kizer at 6'4". Kizer 9-7/8" and Watson with 9-3/4" hand size. BTrubisky 9-1/2" and Mahomes 9-1/4" just a little smaller.. Mariotta had 9-7/8" hands and Winston 9-3/8" for comparing.

Christian McCaffrey is killing it, definitely a first round lock. Hopefully more RBs go in the first, which would be helpful for the Bears 2nd round pick.

I hope your comment about RBs comes true, as long as the Bears don't join in and draft one.

On McCaffrey, his bench was pathetic. Especially since he skipped out on the bowl game and abandoned his teammates to "prepare."

I hope your comment about RBs comes true, as long as the Bears don't join in and draft one.

On McCaffrey, his bench was pathetic. Especially since he skipped out on the bowl game and abandoned his teammates to "prepare."

I think we are safe from drafting RB this year. Howard Langford and Carey are all under contract. Next draft it wouldn't surprise me.

I think we are safe from drafting RB this year. Howard Langford and Carey are all under contract. Next draft it wouldn't surprise me.

Yes, my point was the more RB's that look good and move up the draft board, the better options we will have at our need positions.

If the Bears pass on Cam Robinson in the first, I think we can still get a starter in the 2nd or 3rd with any of these guys:

Garett Bolles, OT, Utah, reminds me of Kyle Long, had some issues, but has been dominating and was top 5 in all combine events for OL. He is also older (25 in May) and that may make some pass on him. 1st in Broad Jump

Antonio Garcia, OT, Troy, 2nd in Vert Jump

Forrest Lamp, OT, Western Kentucky, 2nd in bench with 34 reps, 4th in Broad Jump

Dorian Johnson, OT, Pittsburgh, 5th in Vert Jump, 2nd in Broad Jump, 2nd in 3-Cone, 4th in 20yd Shuttle,

anyone know when the QB's are throwing? Or if they already have?

throwing now on NFL Network

I thought Kizer looked like crap, threw a couple of outs behind the WR, then over threw on the crossing patterns. He looked better to the right. However, he would not be in my top 5. His first throw to the left for the curl routes, he over threw by 4-6 feet, it was ugly. I am not impressed. The kid from Iowa has looked pretty good (Beathard), and I like what I have seen from Dobbs from Tennessee (who is an Aerospace Engineer).

Is bench even that important for a RB?

Interested in hearing about Watson's performance

I'm no expert but Trubisky and Watson both looked solid, made all the throws and footwork, throwing motion, etc all looked good. Based solely on combine performance, I would not have any issues drafting either of them in the first.

I'm no expert but Trubisky and Watson both looked solid, made all the throws and footwork, throwing motion, etc all looked good. Based solely on combine performance, I would not have any issues drafting either of them in the first.

Agreed. They both looked good. I'm also starting to think this would be a good year to draft 2 TE's.

Also, everyone is talking about Mahommes. One said it was the best arm since Favre. The Cutler comparisons scare the crap outta me though.

Agreed. They both looked good. I'm also starting to think this would be a good year to draft 2 TE's.

Also, everyone is talking about Mahommes. One said it was the best arm since Favre. The Cutler comparisons scare the crap outta me though.

Oh God!! If we could get a GOOD Cutler, just imagine. :dabears

I have always been looking at either taking a star defensive player with the third pick or trading down to get a 2nd round pick and getting a good defensive player with the first and then addressing the QB in the 2nd with Mahomes.

With what I saw from Watson yesterday I am intrigued because he has the athleticism needed to play in the NFL together with the intangible of changing the culture at Clemson. He has played well against a pro style defense i.e Alabama, is a winner, a leader and players talk highly about him.

If there wasn't as many QB hungry team at the top of the draft I might take a risk with trading down and then taking him but if Cleveland take Garret at 1 and San Fran take Trubisky at 2 then I think we take Watson at 3.

Yes. If you plan on having that RB block at all.

So there is positive correlation between blocking skills and the amount of reps at 225? Wouldn't one rep max or something like that be a better measure?

I'm not saying strength isn't important but bench press at a fixed weight for everyone regardless of their weight is a little misleading.

Given our lack of QB talent and the excellent RB talent in this draft we definitely should draft a RB on day 3. I love Howard and he's our starter hands down but this is the NFL and it's a brutal battle each week for RBs. Langford did not show enough progress last year and Carey is not good enough to be a #2 RB, and not versatile enough to be a #3 RB. Our team will rely heavily on the run game next season and Howard needs someone who can share the load with him. The last thing I want is that we run Howard into the ground before this team is ready to compete deep into the playoffs in 2 or 3 years.

I didn't get to see Trubisky throw much but of the top 4 QBs Watson looked the best IMO. Very comfortable in the drop back and on target. There is something to this guy when the lights are on he's ready and we can't discount that.

Based on what little I saw of him, I like the way Trubisky threw as well. It's all recorded and I'll go back and catch all the drills on my days off.

Kizer showed some of the same (occasional) short throws we've seen in games. After two months of practice for these drills that bothers me.

Mahomes was all over the place and just looked uncomfortable at times. Again I haven't seen all the drills yet so we'll see if he settled in later.

I didn't get to see Trubisky throw much but of the top 4 QBs Watson looked the best IMO. Very comfortable in the drop back and on target. There is something to this guy when the lights are on he's ready and we can't discount that.

Based on what little I saw of him, I like the way Trubisky threw as well. It's all recorded and I'll go back and catch all the drills on my days off.

Kizer showed some of the same (occasional) short throws we've seen in games. After two months of practice for these drills that bothers me.

Mahomes was all over the place and just looked uncomfortable at times. Again I haven't seen all the drills yet so we'll see if he settled in later.

I think, if I had to knock Trubisky at all it was because of him only having one year starting experience. I kept hearing Mayock (eww) and Carr repeat that over and over. I suppose if Watson were not available, Trubisky would (considering those four that you listed).