Combine Open Thread

adam

Given our lack of QB talent and the excellent RB talent in this draft we definitely should draft a RB on day 3. I love Howard and he's our starter hands down but this is the NFL and it's a brutal battle each week for RBs. Langford did not show enough progress last year and Carey is not good enough to be a #2 RB, and not versatile enough to be a #3 RB. Our team will rely heavily on the run game next season and Howard needs someone who can share the load with him. The last thing I want is that we run Howard into the ground before this team is ready to compete deep into the playoffs in 2 or 3 years.

If we fill the needs at QB, S, CB, TE, WR, OT, DT, and OLB, then upgrading RB depth works. I am sure we will address a handful of these next week in FA, if so then get another stud that pushes Langford for the #2 spot.

So there is positive correlation between blocking skills and the amount of reps at 225? Wouldn't one rep max or something like that be a better measure?

I'm not saying strength isn't important but bench press at a fixed weight for everyone regardless of their weight is a little misleading.

No. But there is a positive correlation between strength and blocking skills. While blocking is not entirely done with the upper body, there is definitely an aspect of chest/arm strength involved. As for a one rep max being a better measure, I don't believe so. Blocks are not singular hits absent of an endurance component.

I honestly don't think it's all that misleading. It's a fixed weight so people can be measured on it. If someone is lighter and smaller, like a RB or WR, they are expected to do worse than OL or DL. That's why it stands out when someone exceeds their class and lifts with those at a different position group.

And it's why McCaffrey's results are fairly pathetic. The only guy he beat is Donnell Pumphrey, who is 5'8" and 176lbs. It's extra pathetic, in my opinion, since he publicly bailed on his team to get an extra week of combine preparation. Clearly he didn't do any work on the bench press. Lucky for him, however, he dominated elsewhere.

I think Garrett goes #1 and SF takes the QB unless they somehow sign Cousins. If Bears do select a QB, I hope they bring in every resource to make him successful.

I agree. I think at this point is almost a certainty for the draft to go Garrett, QB.

If the Bears do pick a QB at #3, I REALLY, REALLY want Ryan Switzer after the combine. He was first in the 20-yd shuttle, and second in the 60-yd shuttle, both of which are drills that measure how quickly someone can stop, turn, and accelerate, skills that are required to get open for a pass. That's a nice safety blanket to have as a young QB.

On top of that he's an electric return guy.

Given our lack of QB talent and the excellent RB talent in this draft we definitely should draft a RB on day 3. I love Howard and he's our starter hands down but this is the NFL and it's a brutal battle each week for RBs. Langford did not show enough progress last year and Carey is not good enough to be a #2 RB, and not versatile enough to be a #3 RB. Our team will rely heavily on the run game next season and Howard needs someone who can share the load with him. The last thing I want is that we run Howard into the ground before this team is ready to compete deep into the playoffs in 2 or 3 years.

I don't think the Bears should draft a RB at all. There will be a vet FA who can fill in when needed.

I agree. I think at this point is almost a certainty for the draft to go Garrett, QB.

If the Bears do pick a QB at #3, I REALLY, REALLY want Ryan Switzer after the combine. He was first in the 20-yd shuttle, and second in the 60-yd shuttle, both of which are drills that measure how quickly someone can stop, turn, and accelerate, skills that are required to get open for a pass. That's a nice safety blanket to have as a young QB.

On top of that he's an electric return guy.

Just ran the replay of WRs/QBs and on Switzer and you are correct. He was fast and quick with very good hands in the drills. Gauntlet drill was easy for him. Deep out with pass coming over the shoulder, drop in the bucket into both hands no bobble and away from the body. He's a slot WR but he's good enough to produce at all levels of the field.

I agree. I think at this point is almost a certainty for the draft to go Garrett, QB. If the Bears do pick a QB at #3, I REALLY, REALLY want Ryan Switzer after the combine. He was first in the 20-yd shuttle, and second in the 60-yd shuttle, both of which are drills that measure how quickly someone can stop, turn, and accelerate, skills that are required to get open for a pass. That's a nice safety blanket to have as a young QB. On top of that he's an electric return guy.

I just looked at some combine results and I think Zay Jones WR answered any concerns about his speed. That was a concern I heard from a former NFL scout on him saying his playing speed was too slow. He could very well go Round 2 now and may be too rich for us now.

I think we both have like Switzer for a couple years now. He seems like the player GB or NE would swoop up right away.

Little...Tight End from Iowa. I'd be all over him later in the draft. He has all the physical tools, but was banged up a bit at Iowa this past season (still played). I also look at recent Iowa TE's and they have had a number who have performed at the next level. Good blocker with passing game talent, who I think would be a great fit for our system (without having to use a pick so early). Such a deep draft so I presume we'll pick up at least one TE late (and I presume we'll pick two DB's in this deep DB draft).

Little...Tight End from Iowa. I'd be all over him later in the draft. He has all the physical tools, but was banged up a bit at Iowa this past season (still played). I also look at recent Iowa TE's and they have had a number who have performed at the next level. Good blocker with passing game talent, who I think would be a great fit for our system (without having to use a pick so early). Such a deep draft so I presume we'll pick up at least one TE late (and I presume we'll pick two DB's in this deep DB draft).

If you're going for banged up TEs, wouldn't you rather shoot for someone like Jake Butt in the late 4th? That seems like where he's projected, and he was a monster before the injury. The three TEs I've liked from the start are Leggett of Clemson, Engram of Ole Miss, and Jake Butt late. Engram ran a ridiculous 4.42, so he's probably going earlier than I'd like to see the Bears draft a TE.

If you're going for banged up TEs, wouldn't you rather shoot for someone like Jake Butt in the late 4th? That seems like where he's projected, and he was a monster before the injury. The three TEs I've liked from the start are Leggett of Clemson, Engram of Ole Miss, and Jake Butt late. Engram ran a ridiculous 4.42, so he's probably going earlier than I'd like to see the Bears draft a TE.

I like Jake Butt, but I think he's going to go before the 4th round. A lot of the TE's looked really good and to be honest, I'd be fine drafting two (as long as it is later on, because I think a lot of these guys can play). Daniels from Washington is pretty darn good too (didn't see you mention him).

Didn't really know where to put it, but Schefty was on ESPN 1000 this morning and says from everything he has heard, no QB will go in the top 3. I don't buy it, but interesting coming from Shefty.

Yeah, I still think Trubisky goes in the top 3. Someone will either select him, or someone will trade up for him.

I still think we take Trubisky at #3 if he's there but it's 60/40 with a strong possibility we draft a defensive player. We have to let this play out because there are two months left for analysis and visits with these QBs. FWIW the reason I like him over the others is that he has shown he can move through his read progressions and two, he can throw accurately on the run moving both to the left and right, which is rare, and that means when plays break down you've still got a chance.

Kizer didn't perform well at the combine. I heard David Carr say his step forward is inconsistent and that is why he is often high or low on his passes. That is something he can improve upon with practice but could he drop all the way to Rd 2 if Mahommes goes in the 1st Rd?

Peterman looks good on passes under 15 yards. Webb showed some of the same inconsistency in his passes that you see in games.

I still think we take Trubisky at #3 if he's there but it's 60/40 with a strong possibility we draft a defensive player. We have to let this play out because there are two months left for analysis and visits with these QBs. FWIW the reason I like him over the others is that he has shown he can move through his read progressions and two, he can throw accurately on the run moving both to the left and right, which is rare, and that means when plays break down you've still got a chance.

Kizer didn't perform well at the combine. I heard David Carr say his step forward is inconsistent and that is why he is often high or low on his passes. That is something he can improve upon with practice but could he drop all the way to Rd 2 if Mahommes goes in the 1st Rd?

Peterman looks good on passes under 15 yards. Webb showed some of the same inconsistency in his passes that you see in games.

Twice now you've knocked Peterman on his deep ball. Everything I've read on him says he has excellent deep ball accuracy.

Plus, he can do all this, which is fun....

Lol

Yeah, I still think Trubisky goes in the top 3. Someone will either select him, or someone will trade up for him.

We can only hope someone trades up with Chicago. I don't want trubisky at 3 at all. If the Bears get a QB, it should be Watson, because he's destroyed NCAA football for two years. He's basically already beat what equates to a bad NFL defense. Still though, Chicago could use extra picks.

Twice now you've knocked Peterman on his deep ball. Everything I've read on him says he has excellent deep ball accuracy.

Lol

Oh I DEFINITELY don't want Peterson now. That's essentially the pool jumping dick head video, but in reverse.

We can only hope someone trades up with Chicago. I don't want trubisky at 3 at all. If the Bears get a QB, it should be Watson, because he's destroyed NCAA football for two years. He's basically already beat what equates to a bad NFL defense. Still though, Chicago could use extra picks.

A trade down makes the most sense if the Bears are going QB. I think we all want a stud S, and I think we can get a good one RD2 like Baker or Melifonwu. I don't think they can get a QB with stud potential in RD2, so it is either reach or trade down. In FA, the can sign Gilmore, Campbell, and an OT to fill needs and allow a draft to go like:

1 Watson QB trade down for 2nd

2 Baker FS

2 G Bolles OT

3 A Jackson CB

4 J Butt TE

4. Jarron Jones DE

5. R Switzer WR

7. RB or K

Was watching a late broadcast of the Combine and saw some talk about a kid named Obi Melifonwu out of UCONN. Played Safety in college but looking like he'll convert to CB in the pros. Kid is huge at 6'4" and nearly 220# and "slayed" at the combine. Doesn't Fangio like him some big corners?

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2017/3/6/14838...ngland-patriots

Was watching a late broadcast of the Combine and saw some talk about a kid named Obi Melifonwu out of UCONN. Played Safety in college but looking like he'll convert to CB in the pros. Kid is huge at 6'4" and nearly 220# and "slayed" at the combine. Doesn't Fangio like him some big corners?

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2017/3/6/14838...ngland-patriots

we coached him at the senior bowl, we already know about him.

Lol

That's nice, can he jump out of a pool too? Here is his "best" game and, IIRC, he too said this was his best game. Watch all the passes beyond 20 yards. To save you time you can just watch the first 2:50 because things don't change much over the length of the game. This is against a defense that likely was the closest to what he'll see in the NFL. I see too high, too long, too short even though WR/TE adjust by almost stopping to make the catch, and a couple that are where they should be. Not a high in-stride success rate beyond 20 yards.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/nathan-pet...clemson-2016-2/

If there is a Kirk Cousins in this draft it is Peterman. I have no issues drafting him in the 4th Rd versus paying Glennon $12-14mil.