bears-mike-glennon-to-sign-three-year-43-5-million-deal

madlithuanian

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/...5-million-deal/

Report: Bears, Mike Glennon to sign three-year, $43.5 million deal

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 9, 2017, 7:37 AM EST

Getty Images

The Bears and Mike Glennon appear to be on the verge of a deal that will make Glennon the team’s starting quarterback, at a salary that sounds like a lot but is lower than most starting quarterbacks make.

Glennon is expected to get a three-year deal with an annual average of $14.5 million, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports. That puts Glennon’s total deal at $43.5 million, although there’s no word on how much of that is guaranteed and no other details about the structure of the contract.

That’s right in the range of what has been expected for Glennon, and the avearge of $14.5 million puts him at 23rd in the NFL among quarterbacks, below Andy Dalton’s $16 million but well above Robert Griffin III’s $7.5 million.

Glennon is expected to start for the Bears at first, but the team would also likely draft a quarterback. If the Bears use the third overall pick in the draft on a quarterback, that means Glennon will just be a stopgap starter and that the high pick will be the quarterback of the future. But for now, anyway, Glennon is getting paid in Chicago.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/...5-million-deal/

Report: Bears, Mike Glennon to sign three-year, $43.5 million deal

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 9, 2017, 7:37 AM EST

Getty Images

The Bears and Mike Glennon appear to be on the verge of a deal that will make Glennon the team’s starting quarterback, at a salary that sounds like a lot but is lower than most starting quarterbacks make.

Glennon is expected to get a three-year deal with an annual average of $14.5 million, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports. That puts Glennon’s total deal at $43.5 million, although there’s no word on how much of that is guaranteed and no other details about the structure of the contract.

That’s right in the range of what has been expected for Glennon, and the avearge of $14.5 million puts him at 23rd in the NFL among quarterbacks, below Andy Dalton’s $16 million but well above Robert Griffin III’s $7.5 million.

Glennon is expected to start for the Bears at first, but the team would also likely draft a quarterback. If the Bears use the third overall pick in the draft on a quarterback, that means Glennon will just be a stopgap starter and that the high pick will be the quarterback of the future. But for now, anyway, Glennon is getting paid in Chicago.

The money doesnt mean anything, its how the deal is structured and guaranteed .

if its 12.5-13.5-16.5 with 16 guaranteed. that would work

The money doesnt mean anything, its how the deal is structured and guaranteed .

if its 12.5-13.5-16.5 with 16 guaranteed. that would work

Are you saying this because they could essentially cut him after one year if he doesn't pan out?

Yeah, it's all about the guaranteed money to me.

Again, I don't mind this. We all want Pace to get his guy and we know the Saints were high on him when Pace was over there.

Glennon in a better situation might still have some upside, and I'm excited to see how it plays out.

If Glennon completely shits the bed this year, and for any reason other than injury a backup gets into the game, Pace has to go. To spend that much when he had the option to spend about half as much for Hoyer is just not defensible. Hoyer accomplishes the same thing for the most part, and the extra money is there to sign guys like Gilmore and Jeffery.

If Glennon completely shits the bed this year, and for any reason other than injury a backup gets into the game, Pace has to go. To spend that much when he had the option to spend about half as much for Hoyer is just not defensible. Hoyer accomplishes the same thing for the most part, and the extra money is there to sign guys like Gilmore and Jeffery.

If Glennon sucks, we cut him anyway with no implications long-term. We are drafting a QB early and that is good. We have enough cap space that we could sign Gilmore/Jeffrey plus Glennon no problem. Whether they want to do that or not, that is up to them, but signing Glennon didn't prevent us from making other moves and it doesn't hinder us long-term. We know Hoyer isn't going to be above average, Glennon has flashed some ability to other scouts. He may be worse then Hoyer, but there is a chance he's actually good, in which case, nice signing. If he isn't, doesn't matter, we cut him at the end of the year, and hope that the guy we drafted this year looks better.

If the guy we drafted isn't that good and we stink, then we hope that we are picking near the top of the board and have a shot at a "franchise" QB. We need to stop kicking the can on QB. The Jags won free agency for like 2 years in a row (and maybe a 3rd this year) and the last two years they had very little to show for it. This team was never a couple signings away from being great...we need the right QB and we need to hit on young players and develop those players to get better. Then, we'll be in a position where free agency can help fill final pieces.

We need to be smart and the Bears need to be patient so they don't make moves today that prevent them from making the right move that maybe could put them over the top in the future.

Now I will point out, that it seems suspect that we bid $5M above any other team, that said, we don't know what incentives other teams offered. It certainly appears that to an extent, we bid against ourselves and therefor overpaid. So from that perspective, I think we could have gotten him for less money (of course none of us know the real story).

If Glennon sucks, we cut him anyway with no implications long-term. We are drafting a QB early and that is good. We have enough cap space that we could sign Gilmore/Jeffrey plus Glennon no problem. Whether they want to do that or not, that is up to them, but signing Glennon didn't prevent us from making other moves and it doesn't hinder us long-term. We know Hoyer isn't going to be above average, Glennon has flashed some ability to other scouts. He may be worse then Hoyer, but there is a chance he's actually good, in which case, nice signing. If he isn't, doesn't matter, we cut him at the end of the year, and hope that the guy we drafted this year looks better.

If the guy we drafted isn't that good and we stink, then we hope that we are picking near the top of the board and have a shot at a "franchise" QB. We need to stop kicking the can on QB. The Jags won free agency for like 2 years in a row (and maybe a 3rd this year) and the last two years they had very little to show for it. This team was never a couple signings away from being great...we need the right QB and we need to hit on young players and develop those players to get better. Then, we'll be in a position where free agency can help fill final pieces.

We need to be smart and the Bears need to be patient so they don't make moves today that prevent them from making the right move that maybe could put them over the top in the future.

How can you say that? When making ANY move, the GM has to factor in the entire salary cap, the entire budget. Single moves are not made irrespective to other moves. I simply can't believe, I refuse to believe, that a professional GM would make a financial decision without factoring in the cost of other decisions. Everything is connected. He doesn't have a FA QB salary cap that sits outside the rest of the salary cap.

The rest of the post I agree with. But then again, that goes right in line with my thoughts on why they should have signed Hoyer. They need a franchise QB regardless of Glennon or Hoyer, and the smart moves would be to strengthen the D and OL.

Omg yes, Pace is now linked to Glennon as Emery/Trestman were linked with Cutler. If Glennon sucks, Pace is gone and Glennon is a one-year deal.

I guess our only hope is if Shaw beats Glennon out in the summer and Glennon becomes the most expensive backup in NFL history.

part of an ESPN article.

Best value

I don't have a single objection to the pending marriage between quarterback Mike Glennon and the Chicago Bears. The true commitment is relatively moderate, and the upside for both sides is high.

Ultimately, this deal requires the Bears to pay Glennon like an established NFL starter for one season. He is guaranteed $18.5 million, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. (At the moment, 12 other NFL quarterbacks have contracts that average at least $19 million annually.)

It's true that Glennon hasn't played (or succeeded) enough to be considered "established," but I can echo what others have said: There are tons of people in league circles who believe he is a starting-caliber talent. The Bears won't be any less competitive with him than they were with Jay Cutler, and at 27, Glennon hasn't hit his ceiling yet. We don't know how good he can be.

If he is as feared, a backup who got overpaid by a desperate team that tried to get cute, then it was a one-year mistake for a franchise that has plenty of work to do in other areas. There is nothing about this signing that precludes the Bears from drafting a longer-term answer. They entered free agency among the NFL leaders in salary-cap room, and who other than the McCaskey family cares if they spent their cash wisely?

As for Glennon, there weren't many teams who were willing to hand him the keys even for one season. He'll get a legitimate chance to show he can be an NFL starter, and the Bears will get a relatively expensive one-year rental that could grow into something more.

part of an ESPN article.

Best value

I don't have a single objection to the pending marriage between quarterback Mike Glennon and the Chicago Bears. The true commitment is relatively moderate, and the upside for both sides is high.

Ultimately, this deal requires the Bears to pay Glennon like an established NFL starter for one season. He is guaranteed $18.5 million, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. (At the moment, 12 other NFL quarterbacks have contracts that average at least $19 million annually.)

It's true that Glennon hasn't played (or succeeded) enough to be considered "established," but I can echo what others have said: There are tons of people in league circles who believe he is a starting-caliber talent. The Bears won't be any less competitive with him than they were with Jay Cutler, and at 27, Glennon hasn't hit his ceiling yet. We don't know how good he can be.

If he is as feared, a backup who got overpaid by a desperate team that tried to get cute, then it was a one-year mistake for a franchise that has plenty of work to do in other areas. There is nothing about this signing that precludes the Bears from drafting a longer-term answer. They entered free agency among the NFL leaders in salary-cap room, and who other than the McCaskey family cares if they spent their cash wisely?

As for Glennon, there weren't many teams who were willing to hand him the keys even for one season. He'll get a legitimate chance to show he can be an NFL starter, and the Bears will get a relatively expensive one-year rental that could grow into something more.

Agreed 100%. There is nothing wrong with this deal and we should all be hoping he pans out. This should nor preclude us from drafting a QB as well.

Peace :dabears

Now I will point out, that it seems suspect that we bid $5M above any other team, that said, we don't know what incentives other teams offered. It certainly appears that to an extent, we bid against ourselves and therefor overpaid. So from that perspective, I think we could have gotten him for less money (of course none of us know the real story).

I keep seeing this and I wonder how everyone knows this? After seeing the Jets pay Pickspatrick $12mil last year I'm not so sure they would back out at $10mil this year for a guy who has more potential than Pickspatrick. Ah but rumors say they are likely to re-sign Geno Smith so he can compete for the starting job. There is nothing in Pace's background that says he's likely to be 50% higher in salary than the market. The QB market is such that Cleveland might be willing to buy a 2nd Rd pick for $16mil and could then turn around and send that pick to NE for Garoppolo. If they do that and then have to sign JimmyG to a new contract think about how much the total investment will be. NFL teams will usually keep quiet on what they offered when it wasn't accepted but we didn't win the bidding early on so I don't believe we were that much higher than everyone else. Maybe the bidding got up to $13mil/yr and then Pace just said here's my best offer of $14.5mil/yr if you take it right now?

I keep seeing this and I wonder how everyone knows this? After seeing the Jets pay Pickspatrick $12mil last year I'm not so sure they would back out at $10mil this year for a guy who has more potential than Pickspatrick. Ah but rumors say they are likely to re-sign Geno Smith so he can compete for the starting job. There is nothing in Pace's background that says he's likely to be 50% higher in salary than the market. The QB market is such that Cleveland might be willing to buy a 2nd Rd pick for $16mil and could then turn around and send that pick to NE for Garoppolo. If they do that and then have to sign JimmyG to a new contract think about how much the total investment will be. NFL teams will usually keep quiet on what they offered when it wasn't accepted but we didn't win the bidding early on so I don't believe we were that much higher than everyone else. Maybe the bidding got up to $13mil/yr and then Pace just said here's my best offer of $14.5mil/yr if you take it right now?

From what I have read and heard, it is all about the guaranteed money, not the average per year, or total amount. In the end the Bears committed $18.5 to Glennon in guarantees. Osweiler got $37 million in guarantees (exactly double Glennon's, coincidence or not?). Everyone wanted a sub-$10mil deal, but if that is a 3yr deal at $10 per guaranteed, it would've been $30mil guaranteed and much riskier. This is actually a pretty good deal for all parties. Glennon gets one year to show something, otherwise we cut ties with minimal dead money ($4.5 in 2018).

Also, his cap hit in 2017 is only $14mil.

I'm calling Davis Webb in the 3rd round now. Pace talked today about Glennon checking all the boxes, which included height, arm strength, accuracy, and ability to quickly process. Webb seems fairly comparable, so you don't have to change the offense at all when he's in there.