Off the ledge...

madlithuanian

1. So long Cutty. Not sad to see you go. You didn't live up to what we gave up (the 1st round picks) and gave (all the loot and all the years) you. You were tough. The brass didn't help you out much with tons of coaching changes and crummy talent to work with for a while. But, ultimately, you failed. One playoff win during your tenure isn't just on everything else other than you... Thank you.

2. Hello Mr. Glennon. We just want to know you are giving your all right now. My expectations are low. Very low. But, maybe you'll surprise us. You do have some potential upside. You are young. Maybe you've improved your game? I hope so. If not, keep on giving it your all and you can make a good living being a great back-up here. The price for Glennon is not bad. It is what it is. Overall, we will be paying less this season for the QB spots than last year.

3. Demps - OK. He's good. But he's old. He'll be a nice bandaid while we hopefully groom someone from this draft class.

4. Prince - Dmmit, I love the name...but I feel similarly about him as I do with Demps. He's younger, but I think it's just a band aid. He's got injury issues. He'll improve the secondary, but not by leaps and bounds. But, unlike Demps...there's a chance he could catch on, stay healthy and be with us for a while. I hope so.

5. Sims - Sounds like a good blocking TE for our solid running game. Nothing earth shattering, but good.

6. Wheaton. I feel like he's to the WR as Prince is to the CB's. Should be a positive, but is injury prone. However, like Prince...there is a chance he could flourish. It's a low risk move. At worst...a really good WR3?

7. Pace - I'm still angered by not landing one of the 3 top DB's to just put a young body who is good back there. We would have over-paid maybe...but we desperately need it. This whiff will mean we HAVE to address it int he draft. Which means we won't be able to BPA. There will be opportunity cost. Pace can make up for it in the draft for sure. But, this element is a fail.

My expectations for next season are still very low despite what we still do in FA and the draft. Assuming health, which I'm not so sure can be assumed with our snake bitten franchise, but we should be better than 3-13. One poster (sorry, I forget who...) said the over/under is at 5 wins. I think that sounds about right. I think 5 is it. 6 if we get some breaks.

7. Pace - I'm still angered by not landing one of the 3 top DB's to just put a young body who is good back there. We would have over-paid maybe...but we desperately need it. This whiff will mean we HAVE to address it int he draft. Which means we won't be able to BPA. There will be opportunity cost. Pace can make up for it in the draft for sure. But, this element is a fail.

Mulley and Hanley were talking about this earlier today on the SCORE and I agree with them. Why would anyone want to come and play for the Bears given the current state of the organization - coming off a 3-win season, 1 playoff appearance in 8 years, a coaching staff that could be gone at the end of the year, etc?

If you were Gilmore, who would you play for - the Patriots or the Bears?

The only way to get a player like that is to pay them more than the market.

Bottom line - the only way to fix this team is to start drafting a lot better.

Peace :bringit

I agree. Which is why we must offer up more of a premium We need to pay more... It's the cost of sucking.

We needn't have signed all 3 of those DB's...especially Gilmore. Even that money is out of the norm for NE. But, we could have landed one of the other two... Jax ain't all that.

Yes, "draft better" is the most important. But, you must also spend more. Do it less often, but you still have to and it will cost more than you'd like.

Mulley and Hanley were talking about this earlier today on the SCORE and I agree with them. Why would anyone want to come and play for the Bears given the current state of the organization - coming off a 3-win season, 1 playoff appearance in 8 years, a coaching staff that could be gone at the end of the year, etc?

I agree. Which is why we must offer up more of a premium We need to pay more... It's the cost of sucking.

We needn't have signed all 3 of those DB's...especially Gilmore. Even that money is out of the norm for NE. But, we could have landed one of the other two... Jax ain't all that.

Yes, "draft better" is the most important. But, you must also spend more. Do it less often, but you still have to and it will cost more than you'd like.

I would say you start paying a premium when you at least have a legitimate shot at the playoffs. Right now, we are probably further away from the playoffs than we ever have been in my lifetime. We just completed Year 2 of a complete overhaul of the entire organization that takes about 3 years to complete (which will be after this year).

I think you need 3-4 solid years of drafting to really start to see a foundation in the organization. So unless Kevin White becomes a perennial #1 WR, and Grasu eventually returns to the starting lineup, the only valuable player from 2015 will be Goldman, so you would have to start with the 2016 draft as Year #1, so we are still 2-3 years away at this point from true SB contention.

Look at Seattle, they had that epic draft in 2010 (Okung, Thomas, Tate, Thurmond, and Chancellor), but it took 2 more solid years of drafts and a 3rd year together to win/make it to the SB. However, they have drafted like crap since 2012 and it will eventually catch up to them as well.

If we consider our 2016 draft with Floyd, Whitehair, and Howard as our equivalent to Seattle's 2010 draft, we have a couple of more years to go. So why overpay for someone who won't even be part of the long-term plan? Right now, most of these free agent pickups are to at least field a competitive team and maybe get lucky with a free agent acquisition (Hicks). If you can do that every year with one or two guys under 30, you can speed up the process.

I generally agree. But we are so devoid of talent in the secondary, that landing an anchor of 5 years at a premium given the cap space we have is not too much to ask for.

It is ultimately won in the draft. No doubt. But...our cupboards are so barren, that we must attempt a stab at an anchor when available...especially given cap space.

I would say you start paying a premium when you at least have a legitimate shot at the playoffs. Right now, we are probably further away from the playoffs than we ever have been in my lifetime. We just completed Year 2 of a complete overhaul of the entire organization that takes about 3 years to complete (which will be after this year).

I think you need 3-4 solid years of drafting to really start to see a foundation in the organization. So unless Kevin White becomes a perennial #1 WR, and Grasu eventually returns to the starting lineup, the only valuable player from 2015 will be Goldman, so you would have to start with the 2016 draft as Year #1, so we are still 2-3 years away at this point from true SB contention.

Look at Seattle, they had that epic draft in 2010 (Okung, Thomas, Tate, Thurmond, and Chancellor), but it took 2 more solid years of drafts and a 3rd year together to win/make it to the SB. However, they have drafted like crap since 2012 and it will eventually catch up to them as well.

If we consider our 2016 draft with Floyd, Whitehair, and Howard as our equivalent to Seattle's 2010 draft, we have a couple of more years to go. So why overpay for someone who won't even be part of the long-term plan? Right now, most of these free agent pickups are to at least field a competitive team and maybe get lucky with a free agent acquisition (Hicks). If you can do that every year with one or two guys under 30, you can speed up the process.

Good post and I agree with a lot of the points. If Pace has another draft like he did last year, that will move the needle well. Pace has also done his best work kind of more on the "discount" free agent path. There was no silver bullet FA move that was going to make this team 8 wins better so in reality, it is most important that we don't tie up our cap space with bad contracts during this window.

Its pretty sad we have the same problem that the Browns have.....FML

Good post and I agree with a lot of the points. If Pace has another draft like he did last year, that will move the needle well. Pace has also done his best work kind of more on the "discount" free agent path. There was no silver bullet FA move that was going to make this team 8 wins better so in reality, it is most important that we don't tie up our cap space with bad contracts during this window.

I have been a fan of most of Paces moves so far. The one that I really have a problem with is letting Alshon leave. Right now the Bears have serious problem at the WR position. This will make Jordan Howards life miserable and Glennon's life miserable. Alshon could have kept defenses honest.

Lets pray White is for real and not a bust.

I have been a fan of most of Paces moves so far. The one that I really have a problem with is letting Alshon leave. Right now the Bears have serious problem at the WR position. This will make Jordan Howards life miserable and Glennon's life miserable. Alshon could have kept defenses honest.

Lets pray White is for real and not a bust.

Alshon was not wanting to stay. His contract in Philly is 9.5 mil with 4.5 in incentives. I would have took a 5 year 60 mil-24 guarantee before that but if you want to leave, you aint staying.

Mad to point 2 of your 'open letter'. I was checking out some highlights and recent pressers on Glennon these last few days. Although this is a time where all you have to do is say the right things and you're golden, I get something more from him. He seems to be on point not just verbally but mentally. He looks like a guy determined to give us his best.

Will his numbers jump out at us, probably not. But at least not only is he saying the right things right now he's doing the right things. In an article I read about him it was said one of the first things he asked for was an iPad with all the plays on it so he could get to studying. He also asked for all the telephone numbers of all the offensive players so he could start talking to them about the upcoming season. He also wanted pictures of the other players presumably so he'd know who's who when he started hanging out at Halas Hall. In his intro presser today it was obvious he's already started studying the players on the team as he was able to rattle off a few of the key players and their recent accomplishments. To me that says volumes. There may just be something to this guy after all. I'm not as concerned as I was yesterday but I'll still be curious to see how he does as time wears on .

Mad to point 2 of your 'open letter'. I was checking out some highlights and recent pressers on Glennon these last few days. Although this is a time where all you have to do is say the right things and you're golden, I get something more from him. He seems to be on point not just verbally but mentally. He looks like a guy determined to give us his best.

Will his numbers jump out at us, probably not. But at least not only is he saying the right things right now he's doing the right things. In an article I read about him it was said one of the first things he asked for was an iPad with all the plays on it so he could get to studying. He also asked for all the telephone numbers of all the offensive players so he could start talking to them about the upcoming season. He also wanted pictures of the other players presumably so he'd know who's who when he started hanging out at Halas Hall. In his intro presser today it was obvious he's already started studying the players on the team as he was able to rattle off a few of the key players and their recent accomplishments. To me that says volumes. There may just be something to this guy after all. I'm not as concerned as I was yesterday but I'll still be curious to see how he does as time wears on .

If we protect the pocket, he will do well, if he gets pressure all the time,not so much.

I read the article as well. He actually asked for the name of every person that works at Halas Hall. That speaks volumes to me. He may just be another page in the never ending book of crappy Bears QBs but I am rooting for him to succeed.

Peace :dabears

I read the article as well. He actually asked for the name of every person that works at Halas Hall. That speaks volumes to me. He may just be another page in the never ending book of crappy Bears QBs but I am rooting for him to succeed.

Actually we have two new WRs, I forgot we signed Rueben Randle, I dont think we should not think he could be a #3 type WR on this team.

I think we've switched glasses! :cheers

I like what I've been hearing, but I just need a "prove it" scenario to fall into place before I get excited. My expectations are low. But, I'm far from upset about it.

Me too. Great to hear that he takes extra time to be a team player. That's an impt aspect for a guy in his position as a leader.