Martellus Bennett signs with Packers fml

adam

Yeah, GB just got a lot better on offense.

This is an odd signing by GB who usually poaches players that are cut instead of FA's. I think their front office is under pressure and they are abandoning their philosophy that has given them 17 compensation picks since Ted Thompson took over 12 years ago. Also looking at GB draft history, they trade down a lot.

The Bears in the same time frame of 2005 to 2016 has had 6 compensatory picks; 3 in 2008 and 3 in 2009. This is a reflection of drafting good players.

Were they really that desperate? Bennett for all his whining only gets $18mil over 3 years. That's chump change for NE with all their cap space and they ran away as fast as they could. Rodgers will not be happy with Bennett's practice habits but in a twist of fate I will be.

Were they really that desperate? Bennett for all his whining only gets $18mil over 3 years. That's chump change for NE with all their cap space and they ran away as fast as they could. Rodgers will not be happy with Bennett's practice habits but in a twist of fate I will be.

I thought he was getting 3/21? Supposedly they offered Cook more than that and he declined. Remember Bennett was a TE2 in NE, very rarely do you pay a TE2 that type of money. We paid Sims 3/$18. We signed Miller for 2/$5.5, so Sims, a blocking TE is getting more in one year that we gave to Miller for his entire contract. So if anything we overpaid significantly for Sims.

I thought he was getting 3/21? Supposedly they offered Cook more than that and he declined. Remember Bennett was a TE2 in NE, very rarely do you pay a TE2 that type of money. We paid Sims 3/$18. We signed Miller for 2/$5.5, so Sims, a blocking TE is getting more in one year that we gave to Miller for his entire contract. So if anything we overpaid significantly for Sims.

I think Sims is going to surprise a lot of people with his pass catching ability. Did we overpay based on his past performance? Absolutely.

NE traded to pick up the often injured Dwayne Allen's $5-6mil/yr contract. If Bennett was a better player then with all their cap space they'd have had no issue paying him $6mil/yr. If it wasn't going to be economical for them to keep Bennett around they wanted to move on. Bennett being himself wasn't in the mood to give a Superbowl discount.

I think Sims is going to surprise a lot of people with his pass catching ability. Did we overpay based on his past performance? Absolutely.

NE traded to pick up the often injured Dwayne Allen's $5-6mil/yr contract. If Bennett was a better player then with all their cap space they'd have had no issue paying him $6mil/yr. If it wasn't going to be economical for them to keep Bennett around they wanted to move on. Bennett being himself wasn't in the mood to give a Superbowl discount.

I am just saying that some say we are not paying a premium, when based on what Glennon got and what Sims got, I think we are. We are just not totally breaking the bank and overpaying for guys looking for max contracts.

I am just saying that some say we are not paying a premium, when based on what Glennon got and what Sims got, I think we are. We are just not totally breaking the bank and overpaying for guys looking for max contracts.

You are correct but any decent contract signed early in FA is always paying a premium for that player. Everyone we targeted got a premium deal: the OT in Detroit, Gilmore and 1yr wonder Bouye both hit it huge. Hoyer! Cornelius Washington, a fringe player on our roster, just got $3-4mil/yr from Detroit. While Glennon's deal might seem like a huge contract, for the QB position it slots him in around where he should be among QBs, 23rd, plus the early signing premium.

I wanted one premium deal for a CB but when they both went off the charts I'm ok we backed off, especially considering the CB Talent in this draft. Other than that I'm happy to be playing in Pace's more familiar 2nd tier of FA as well as taking some chances on young up and coming players like Sims.

If we look down the road a bit we can already see competition building for roster spots where we might see some familiar names who contributed last year get cut possibly at CB depending on the draft. We have Banks, Fuller, possibly Cooper, and McManis fighting for a spot. At S if we sign Darius Butler does HJQ make the 53?

Pats have Gronk already getting paid a ton, so a bit different of a dynamic there. I think more interesting is that Marty is getting paid almost the same as our blocking TE (Simms) is getting. I hope to hell Simms has some hidden talent and actually can help expand our passing game.

Pats have Gronk already getting paid a ton, so a bit different of a dynamic there. I think more interesting is that Marty is getting paid almost the same as our blocking TE (Simms) is getting. I hope to hell Simms has some hidden talent and actually can help expand our passing game.

But it's no problem for them to pay Dwayne Allen $5mil/yr? With all their cap space if they wanted him around they'd have kept him around. This is the team that once had two of the top TE contracts in the NFL on its roster.

But it's no problem for them to pay Dwayne Allen $5mil/yr? With all their cap space if they wanted him around they'd have kept him around. This is the team that once had two of the top TE contracts in the NFL on its roster.

You are so correct. They pay Allen 1 mil less, but give up a 4th and 6th to do so. Dwayne Allen was loved in indy. Great locker room guy and man in the community. Marty B and his brother are both assholes.