Solomon Thomas

AZ54

Since the combine Solomon Thomas has quietly risen past Allen on many draft boards (Draftek, Bleacherreport, NFLnetwork, and CBS who has had him there for some time. He needs to be squarely in our sights on draft day. Right now he's my preferred pick at #3 if he's still there. I think our Dline becomes one of the best in the NFL and he's versatile enough to handle snaps at OLB, 4-3 DE, or 3-tech.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000079...-2017-nfl-draft

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the combine Solomon Thomas has quietly risen past Allen on many draft boards (Draftek, Bleacherreport, NFLnetwork, and CBS who has had him there for some time. He needs to be squarely in our sights on draft day. Right now he's my preferred pick at #3 if he's still there. I think our Dline becomes one of the best in the NFL and he's versatile enough to handle snaps at OLB, 4-3 DE, or 3-tech.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000079...-2017-nfl-draft

Cleveland is still the most inept franchise I've ever seen. I'm still holding out hope that they pass on Garrett and we have a shot. I would not be shocked.

Every year the draft process produces a guy who goes from really good to great, for no other reason than people harping on tape or blowing a gasket about the combine. The simple fact is, Thomas didn't produce as well as Allen, and didn't look as good as Allen. If Garrett is gone - I'm hoping Mongo is right and Cleveland screws the pooch - then the only 3-4DE that's worth the #3 pick is Allen.

Otherwise, it should be a S, QB, or trade.

Every year the draft process produces a guy who goes from really good to great, for no other reason than people harping on tape or blowing a gasket about the combine. The simple fact is, Thomas didn't produce as well as Allen, and didn't look as good as Allen. If Garrett is gone - I'm hoping Mongo is right and Cleveland screws the pooch - then the only 3-4DE that's worth the #3 pick is Allen.

I can see where Thomas may end up being a Justin Smith type but from day 1, Allen will be a good player. His medicals are mute and we have had two meetings with him. If we get 8-10 sacks a year from Allen that makes him valuable enough to solidify the front 7.

Hell yeah!

Allen 69 tackles, 33 solo, 10.5 from 15 games

Thomas 61 tackles, 40 solo, 8 sacks from 13 games

I can't answer as to who is better looking

One man missing in these comparisons is Derek Barnett. He should be in the mix as well.

56 tackles, 40 solo, 13.5 sacks.. 1 INT, 5 PD.

Career: 198 tackles, 131 solo, 32 sacks, 52 TFL

His numbers are just as good. If they are targeting a DE/OLB, might try damb hard to trade down. You have choices of Garrett, Allen, Thomas, and Barnett. Get the ammo to trade back up for a QB.

It's definitely closer than I realized in terms of stats.

I admit to a SEC bias given my geography, but I watched a few Stanford games and was never wowed by Thomas. Plus, the SEC competition is just overall better, IMO. And while they may be popularity contests, Allen won a slew of awards.

It's definitely closer than I realized in terms of stats.

I admit to a SEC bias given my geography, but I watched a few Stanford games and was never wowed by Thomas. Plus, the SEC competition is just overall better, IMO. And while they may be popularity contests, Allen won a slew of awards.

Aren't you usually pretty adamant about Pace avoiding injury risk on early draft picks? Doesn't the 2 or 3 shoulder surgeries Allen has had and arthritis in both shoulders concern you?

By the way I think the big riser in this draft is Obi Melifonwu. He's gone from 4th Rd prospect to now after the combine being talked about as a 2nd Rd pick.

One man missing in these comparisons is Derek Barnett. He should be in the mix as well.

56 tackles, 40 solo, 13.5 sacks.. 1 INT, 5 PD.

Career: 198 tackles, 131 solo, 32 sacks, 52 TFL

His numbers are just as good. If they are targeting a DE/OLB, might try damb hard to trade down. You have choices of Garrett, Allen, Thomas, and Barnett. Get the ammo to trade back up for a QB.

IMO Barnett isn't nearly as agile as either Thomas or Allen, nor do I think he can handle working inside as a 3-tech. He's a good player but I don't think he'll produce pressure in the NFL as well as he did in college.

Aren't you usually pretty adamant about Pace avoiding injury risk on early draft picks? Doesn't the 2 or 3 shoulder surgeries Allen has had and arthritis in both shoulders concern you?

By the way I think the big riser in this draft is Obi Melifonwu. He's gone from 4th Rd prospect to now after the combine being talked about as a 2nd Rd pick.

Yes. I think it has to constantly be in Pace's mind. Which is why I'm fully prepared to be upset during the first round of the draft. Allen is who I want, not who I think Pace will pick.

arthritis is an inflammation issue and at a young age is different than when you get older. Im a plumber and when I had my knee surgeries in my 20s, the arthritis that set in didnt really bother me until I got in my 40s. I do not see Allen's issues with his shoulder ever affecting his play during his twenties. It is just a pain tolerance thing, and pro athletes get the best drugs.

I don't want this guy whatsoever. Allen, while being doubled nearly every game, put up better numbers against superior competition will in and week out.

My wishes are

QB: Watson

Dl : Garrett(obviously if he's there) or Allen

S: Adams only

I am starting to think I'd like a trade back if we don't go QB or DL. Pace has done a really good job filling holes and adding quality depth again this year in FA

I don't want this guy whatsoever. Allen, while being doubled nearly every game, put up better numbers against superior competition will in and week out.

My wishes are

QB: Watson

Dl : Garrett(obviously if he's there) or Allen

S: Reid only

I am starting to think I'd like a trade back if we don't go QB or DL. Pace has done a really good job fooling hopes and sending quality depth again this year in FA

I agree, except for the Safety. I'm guessing you were thinking of Adams or Hooker, and associated him with Eric Reid of the Niners?

Can teams even afford to double team a new defensive lineman with Goldman and Hicks also in there? With their size and ability to rush the passer this defensive line is gonna be a nightmare for opposing teams if you add another stud like Thomas or Allen.

I'll take the more explosive player in Thomas.

IMO Thomas has the higher ceiling whereas Allen has the higher floor. I think on a line with 2 monsters like Hicks and Goldman Thomas will reach that higher ceiling.

Can teams even afford to double team a new defensive lineman with Goldman and Hicks also in there? With their size and ability to rush the passer this defensive line is gonna be a nightmare for opposing teams if you add another stud like Thomas or Allen.

I'll take the more explosive player in Thomas.

IMO Thomas has the higher ceiling whereas Allen has the higher floor. I think on a line with 2 monsters like Hicks and Goldman Thomas will reach that higher ceiling.

I think because of their body styles, Thomas probably has more sacks but not as good against the run, where as Allen is more all around. Is 8 sacks and a stud against the run, better, or 12 sacks and less run defense?

Saying that Thomas is the best run defender in the nation is a joke. Against the three teams he played last year that had a running based offensive attack they gave up

45 for 226 Oregon

39 for 169 Rice

41 for 214 Washington

In this games where he's having forty chances a game I'd expect some disruption... Some TFLs... Something

Lastly, if he was so "explosive" he'd have more qb hurries playing against ten teams that want to throw the ball fifty times a game.

Saying that Thomas is the best run defender in the nation is a joke. Against the three teams he played last year that had a running based offensive attack they gave up

45 for 226 Oregon

39 for 169 Rice

41 for 214 Washington

In this games where he's having forty chances a game I'd expect some disruption... Some TFLs... Something

Lastly, if he was so "explosive" he'd have more qb hurries playing against ten teams that want to throw the ball fifty times a game.

I'm just going by what I read. I'm sure teams can run the ball the other direction as well so those games really don't tell me anything.

I'm just going by what I read. I'm sure teams can run the ball the other direction as well so those games really don't tell me anything.

You are respected by me for your research, so I ask find the Stanford front 7 player/s that have transitioned well to the NFL.

You are respected by me for your research, so I ask find the Stanford front 7 player/s that have transitioned well to the NFL.

How many were as highly thought of as Thomas? I mean you can say that about a lot of guys. Verdict is still out on A'Shawn Robinson and Jarron Reed, but outside of Marcel Darius 6 years ago Bama hasn't produced a good lineman either.

When's the last time Clemson, Notre Dame, or North Carolina developed an NFL QB?