Walter Football Mock-We all can like

ASHKUM BEAR

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017charlie.php

1-Jonathan Allen DE- The 5T can really tip the scale for making Chicagos front 7 elite

2-Deshaun Watson QB- they feel he is still over drafted here, but it would be a steal in my book

3-Zay Jones WR- With the loss of AJ and unknown of White, I can see this pick. Would be ok

4-Jeremy Sprinkle TE-Early on I was big on Sprinkle as all around TE

4-Brenden Langley CB-Dont know much on him but seems like a good prospect.

I didn't catch were Jordan Leggett went, but could pair him up with Watson if he is available. Would also consider OLB or S round 3 if a stud is still there.

1-Jonathan Allen DE- The 5T can really tip the scale for making Chicagos front 7 elite

2-Deshaun Watson QB- they feel he is still over drafted here, but it would be a steal in my book

3-Zay Jones WR- With the loss of AJ and unknown of White, I can see this pick. Would be ok

I didn't catch were Jordan Leggett went, but could pair him up with Watson if he is available. Would also consider OLB or S round 3 if a stud is still there.

Hate pick one. Good with the rest...

Hate pick one. Good with the rest...

Oh, it's definately hate for me, in the slang or bro talk sense. I am fully convinced Allen will not be "as advertised".

See, I happen to think he'll be one of those 10-year guys who flirts with all-pro every year but gets beaten out by some freak performer like Watt.

The more I think about this draft the less I like it. The big names excited me, but I wonder if there is a better option available?

1-Jonathan Allen DE

2-Deshaun Watson QB

3-Zay Jones WR

4-Jeremy Sprinkle TE

4-Brenden Langley CB

Where is the FS & OT? Do the Bears really need a WR or TE that early? Why not see what kind of players Wheaton, White, Wright, and Sims are before using a pick? Especially since that draft leaves FS and OT with huge holes. If the draft plays out like they have it, I'd rather see:

1-Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama

2-Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

3-Desmond King, CB, Iowa

4-Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell

4-Eddie Jackson, FS, Alabama

The more I think about this draft the less I like it. The big names excited me, but I wonder if there is a better option available?

1-Jonathan Allen DE

2-Deshaun Watson QB

3-Zay Jones WR

4-Jeremy Sprinkle TE

4-Brenden Langley CB

Where is the FS & OT? Do the Bears really need a WR or TE that early? Why not see what kind of players Wheaton, White, Wright, and Sims are before using a pick? Especially since that draft leaves FS and OT with huge holes. If the draft plays out like they have it, I'd rather see:

1-Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama

2-Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

3-Desmond King, CB, Iowa

4-Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell

4-Eddie Jackson, FS, Alabama

I like this much better, but we are not going to get all of our needs in this draft. Allen would make our front 3 killer that will help the back of the D.

King is a great pick and Jackson is a sneaky good pick. He was awesome before his injury this year and will get back to that form.

We did not address TE or WR but the draft is strong in those spots, so maybe in the last two rounds we can grab a Austin Carr/WR and a Roberts/TE

The more I think about this draft the less I like it. The big names excited me, but I wonder if there is a better option available? 1-Jonathan Allen DE 2-Deshaun Watson QB 3-Zay Jones WR 4-Jeremy Sprinkle TE 4-Brenden Langley CB Where is the FS & OT? Do the Bears really need a WR or TE that early? Why not see what kind of players Wheaton, White, Wright, and Sims are before using a pick? Especially since that draft leaves FS and OT with huge holes. If the draft plays out like they have it, I'd rather see: 1-Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama 2-Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson 3-Desmond King, CB, Iowa 4-Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell 4-Eddie Jackson, FS, Alabama

With FA signings, I can see them avoid CB unless they really feel good about a prospect. I think there is room for a Safety, which there are rumors DeAndre' Hall may make the move.

Cornerbacks- Normally about 6 make a roster.

Tracy Porter - lock

Marcus Cooper - lock

Prince Amukamara - lock

Cre'Von LeBlanc - lock

Kyle Fuller

Bryce Callahan -lock

Deiondre' Hall - lock

Jon Banks

Sherrick McManis

Safety - Normally 4 make a roster

Quentin Demps - lock

Adrian Amos - lock

Harold Jones-Quartey

Deon Bush - lock

DeAndre Houston-Carson

Chris Prosinski

With FA signings, I can see them avoid CB unless they really feel good about a prospect. I think there is room for a Safety, which there are rumors DeAndre' Hall may make the move.

Tracy Porter - lock

Marcus Cooper - lock

Prince Amukamara - lock

Cre'Von LeBlanc - lock

Kyle Fuller

Bryce Callahan -lock

Deiondre' Hall - lock

Jon Banks

Sherrick McManis

Quentin Demps - lock

Adrian Amos - lock

Harold Jones-Quartey

Deon Bush - lock

DeAndre Houston-Carson

Chris Prosinski

This list makes me believe we will only select 1 DB in the entire draft. We have a bunch of young guys and Safety seems like Demps+ one of Amos, HJQ, Bush, DHC, and Prosinski. I also think McManis makes it as the primary Special Teamer.

Oh, it's definately hate for me, in the slang or bro talk sense. I am fully convinced Allen will not be "as advertised".

I'm with you Mongo. I only saw him in the championship game, but he didn't impress me. He's good, but I thought he took plays off and was pushed around in that game. I think we can do better at 3.

Tracy Porter - lock

Marcus Cooper - lock

Prince Amukamara - lock

Cre'Von LeBlanc - lock

Bryce Callahan -lock

Deiondre' Hall - lock

Kyle Fuller

Jon Banks

Sherrick McManis

Quentin Demps - lock

Adrian Amos - lock

Deon Bush - lock

Harold Jones-Quartey

DeAndre Houston-Carson

Chris Prosinski

Let's assume you're correct on the locks.

CB:

1. Tracy Porter - (Financial lock), Only legit returning starter, average, costs next to nothing to cut him next year. Likely on his last year.

2. Prince Amukamara - (Financial lock), One year deal

3. Marcus Cooper - (Financial lock) He's not going anywhere, but the majority of his cap hit is in year one. If he sucks, he could be cut for only $1M dead cap.

4. Deiondre' Hall - Being moved to safety. Which makes room to keep Fuller on the roster. Fuller is $3M+ in dead cap if cut.

4. Kyle Fuller - (Financial lock) Average, on his last year. Likely gone unless he explodes.

5. Bryce Callahan -Not starter quality

6. Cre'Von LeBlanc - Not starter quality

That's a bunch of guys on what amount to one year deals.

Safety:

1. Quentin Demps - SS - He's in Chicago to stay, but his deal is a lot like Cooper's. Only big hit is this year (

2. ?? - Adrian Amos - FS - He's not a lock, because he's not very good.

3. ?? - Deon Bush - SS - Not very good, but recently drafted.

4. ?? - Deiondre' Hall - FS - They like him enough to try him at another position.

Likely Cut - Harold Jones-Quartey, DeAndre Houston-Carson, Chris Prosinski

I'd be fine with the Bears getting a CB or FS as early as they would like. Cut Callahan or LeBlanc for the rookie CB, and cut any number of guys for the rookie FS. This is also why I'm not a huge fan of Adams at #3, because he's a true SS, not a true FS. The Bears just got Demps at SS, and he's too good to be a backup SS. Drafting Adams would be shoving a round peg in an oval hole

Let's assume you're correct on the locks.

CB:

1. Tracy Porter - (Financial lock), Only legit returning starter, average, costs next to nothing to cut him next year. Likely on his last year.

2. Prince Amukamara - (Financial lock), One year deal

3. Marcus Cooper - (Financial lock) He's not going anywhere, but the majority of his cap hit is in year one. If he sucks, he could be cut for only $1M dead cap.

4. Deiondre' Hall - Being moved to safety. Which makes room to keep Fuller on the roster. Fuller is $3M+ in dead cap if cut.

4. Kyle Fuller - (Financial lock) Average, on his last year. Likely gone unless he explodes.

5. Bryce Callahan -Not starter quality

6. Cre'Von LeBlanc - Not starter quality

That's a bunch of guys on what amount to one year deals.

Safety:

1. Quentin Demps - SS - He's in Chicago to stay, but his deal is a lot like Cooper's. Only big hit is this year (

2. ?? - Adrian Amos - FS - He's not a lock, because he's not very good.

3. ?? - Deon Bush - SS - Not very good, but recently drafted.

4. ?? - Deiondre' Hall - FS - They like him enough to try him at another position.

Likely Cut - Harold Jones-Quartey, DeAndre Houston-Carson, Chris Prosinski

I'd be fine with the Bears getting a CB or FS as early as they would like. Cut Callahan or LeBlanc for the rookie CB, and cut any number of guys for the rookie FS. This is also why I'm not a huge fan of Adams at #3, because he's a true SS, not a true FS. The Bears just got Demps at SS, and he's too good to be a backup SS. Drafting Adams would be shoving a round peg in an oval hole

They have a lot of mediocre or worse, but many are still young were they haven't had enough time in the league to really evaluate. They are missing a ball hawk S and shut down CB IMO, which leaves Hooker or Lattimore as possibilities RD1 and they both have health questions. Would 2nd round FS prospects Budda Baker or Marcus Williams be a better gamble. I like Williams, has a little more height. Sidney Jones would be my shut down CB choice, he says he will be able to play this season but I would still redshirt him.

1. Allen 3T/5T or Thomas OLB/5T - could make a case for either

2. Watson/Kizer QB or Marcus Williams/Baker FS - if one of the QBs there have to take. Otherwise FS

3-Sidney Jones CB-many would hate drafting him, but could be franchise shutdown CB for years. We have many 1 yr stop gaps

4-Jordan Leggett TE-Butt, Hodges, or Sprinkle considered-great class and need a long term solution

4-Eddie Jakson FS or Peterman QB -depends on round 2

5-Ryan Switzer WR-future slot and KR or Holliday WR

7-Zane Gonzalez K-because finding a gem at a position this late is tough.

Missing out on that OT, but can sign another stoo gap and shoot for 2018 class.

They have a lot of mediocre or worse, but many are still young were they haven't had enough time in the league to really evaluate. They are missing a ball hawk S and shut down CB IMO, which leaves Hooker or Lattimore as possibilities RD1 and they both have health questions. Would 2nd round FS prospects Budda Baker or Marcus Williams be a better gamble. I like Williams, has a little more height. Sidney Jones would be my shut down CB choice, he says he will be able to play this season but I would still redshirt him.

2. Watson/Kizer QB or Marcus Williams/Baker FS - if one of the QBs there have to take. Otherwise FS

3-Sidney Jones CB-many would hate drafting him, but could be franchise shutdown CB for years. We have many 1 yr stop gaps

4-Jordan Leggett TE-Butt, Hodges, or Sprinkle considered-great class and need a long term solution

Man, I really like this draft, but I hate missing out on OL when we really need some help at OT.

I like that a lot. At this point, however, I think I'd take an OT over Ryan Switzer, no matter how much I man-crush him. With WWWM at WR, the Bears have too much potential to get another WR. Help is needed much more at OT, since both starters are below average.

This draft has a lot of depth at DB / TE, two areas of major need for us. If we don't select at least one of each of those guys, I'll be stunned. I pretty much guarantee we draft a DB, TE, and QB in this draft. If we don't, it is foolish, imo. Too much talent at those spots in this draft to ignore, imo. They could bust, but the chance of getting a good DB / TE in the 3rd and beyond in this draft is much higher then in most drafts (especially at TE).

Most of the guys we signed, were body guys, with some upside, but not guys to build around. People who will help short-term, but long-term we need to find pieces. I presume we are going safety in the 1st, with QB, another DB, and a TE (probably a wideout as well) all being picks. If we don't go safety in the 1st, I see a speed rusher with us likely grabbing two DB's, a TE, Wr, and a QB. Not sure what else we do, but I do kind of expect us to get somewhere close to that in terms of those particular positions.

Man, I really like this draft, but I hate missing out on OL when we really need some help at OT.

I have accepted the fact that after this draft there will still be one glaring need on our roster, probably two. Unless we go there early (as in 2nd Rd) OT seems the most likely place we fall short. There just isn't much depth in this years rookie class and with all the needs we have on this roster we need to be in BPA mode well into day 3.

In Rd 4 it is quite likely we can draft a TE, CB, and maybe a WR (like Switzer) with the potential to be a legit starter in the NFL. Rd 4 and beyond has OT prospects with ceilings that are most likely as a career backup. I'd be surprised if anyone who has watched Julien Davenport's film didn't come away thinking they had watched some clips of Leno or Massie in pass protection.

Plus, when we have drafts like this where there is a shortage of talent at a very key position then NFL teams usually reach earlier for the best prospects. Garrett Bolles may have a 2nd Rd grade but I highly doubt he's available after day 1. That reaching may carry into 3rd Rd prospects such as Garcia being taken in the late 2nd Rd. Reality is you can reach on that OT early and still find a decent CB, WR, TE, DL afterward. Doing the reverse won't pan out so well.

If we haven't drafted an OT in the top 3 Rds, then we will be better off picking up someone's veteran OT castoff rather than depending on these rookies. Pick up the pieces next year. Putting the right rookie TE out there will help our OTs (and offense) far more than any of the late Rd OTs.

I have accepted the fact that after this draft there will still be one glaring need on our roster, probably two. Unless we go there early (as in 2nd Rd) OT seems the most likely place we fall short. There just isn't much depth in this years rookie class and with all the needs we have on this roster we need to be in BPA mode well into day 3.

In Rd 4 it is quite likely we can draft a TE, CB, and maybe a WR (like Switzer) with the potential to be a legit starter in the NFL. Rd 4 and beyond has OT prospects with ceilings that are most likely as a career backup. I'd be surprised if anyone who has watched Julien Davenport's film didn't come away thinking they had watched some clips of Leno or Massie in pass protection.

Plus, when we have drafts like this where there is a shortage of talent at a very key position then NFL teams usually reach earlier for the best prospects. Garrett Bolles may have a 2nd Rd grade but I highly doubt he's available after day 1. That reaching may carry into 3rd Rd prospects such as Garcia being taken in the late 2nd Rd. Reality is you can reach on that OT early and still find a decent CB, WR, TE, DL afterward. Doing the reverse won't pan out so well.

If we haven't drafted an OT in the top 3 Rds, then we will be better off picking up someone's veteran OT castoff rather than depending on these rookies. Pick up the pieces next year. Putting the right rookie TE out there will help our OTs (and offense) far more than any of the late Rd OTs.

You're right about accepting the fact that the Bears are destined to have at least one hole.

Per the bolded, however, I think the inverse of that is truer. Putting the right rookie on the OL (see: Long, Whitehair), preferably one drafted high, can have an immediate impact on the offense. Without Whitehair's standout performance last year, we're likely going into this year wondering if Jordan Howard is really the answer, not to mention the already established uncertainty of the passing game. Put one more standout in there at OT, someone like Ryan Ramcyzk from Wisconsin if he were to slip, and he would do more for the offense than a rookie TE who will likely have to stay in to block a considerable amount of time because of the subpar OT play.

You're right about accepting the fact that the Bears are destined to have at least one hole.

Per the bolded, however, I think the inverse of that is truer. Putting the right rookie on the OL (see: Long, Whitehair), preferably one drafted high, can have an immediate impact on the offense. Without Whitehair's standout performance last year, we're likely going into this year wondering if Jordan Howard is really the answer, not to mention the already established uncertainty of the passing game. Put one more standout in there at OT, someone like Ryan Ramcyzk from Wisconsin if he were to slip, and he would do more for the offense than a rookie TE who will likely have to stay in to block a considerable amount of time because of the subpar OT play.

This is a thin class of premium OTs so if one of the top 3 drop to the second round, that is a strong possibility we take one. If Pace stands by the stance BPA, would someone else be rated ahead of that position? Yes. If Kizer or Robinson is there at 2, who would they take? I think they would value the QB higher.

I agree there but for that impact we have to find one that drops to us in Rd 2. Even in Rd 3 someone like Garcia is a project who will not help much in his rookie season. I like Bolles too and if either he or Ramczyk are there in Rd 2 we should take them.