Sorting out the top pick with need

Stinger226

Since we do not know Paces evaluation of the current roster, where do we go with the pick considering the talent on the team at this time.

At QB- Glennon starts and could be the long range answer but no one has the answer to that question right now. I think him and Sanchez being added guarantees we dont go there in the first.

At WR- Will Ashton gone now, it leaves us banking on White as being the player we drafted but still a big question mark. With adding Wright and Wheaton, I see us not going with a WR in the first.

At TE- we added a blocking TE with catching upside, Miller will get less playing time and should help him stay healthier. I think they like Brown and Baunnecker enough to not pick Howard at this pick. (spoiler alert)

At OT- we have a need to upgrade and all Compton is just a backup. No one is rated high enough in this draft to take at this spot, but if we would move down, could be possible.

DL- we definitely have a need and only added a NT player in FAgency. Bullard was a high pick last year that will probably take a step in the second year but still is a strong possibility we grab Allen at this spot. Adding a all pro type 10 sack a year guy to your front seven seems like a good idea.

Edge rusher- We need Floyd to improve and McPhee to stay healthy. If that happens with Houston and Young still here we are in good shape here but do not underestimate us grabbing Thomas if available that can help the DL plus be an edge rusher. Would be a great pick for the front seven.

CB- Grabbing Cooper could be a sneaking good signing but Prince is only on a one year deal. We could very well use a stud CB even with the large group of DBs we have none are a true #1. STRONG POSSIBLITY

S- With Demps we have a temporary starter but do not view him long term. Amos played Ok but is not a star. Bush has yet to show anything but with Hall and Fuller being moved to S, I can see use not viewing this as as great a need. Adams will be there and not only being better than anyone on our roster, a great leader , we could very well be calling his name at #3. Even if Hall or Fuller pans out at FS , Amos is who Adams would be replacing.

Summary: Our greatest needs , in my opinion, are LT-CB-DL-SS. Who at #3 would have the greatest impact on our team going forward.

Allen compares to Sheldon Richardson by several draft sites.

Adams compares to Eric Weddle by a few sites.

There are no all pro type LTs in this draft, so definitely see us not taking one that early.

Thomas is more of a Justin Smith that would have a great impact on our defense.

Lattimore has been compared to Vontae Davis by one expert.

Since the draft is deep in CBs and Ss, I can see us deciding between Allen and Thomas. I would say Thomas, but if he is gone it will be Allen.

One that makes a lot of sense would be Adams, but we could get a 10 starter in the second round in this draft.

Spoiler Alert----Since we are going to add a playmaker at #3, one of the better impact players in this draft is O J Howard. With our WRs having some doubts grabbing a all pro type TE that can block(helps our running game) and catch 65 balls for almost a 1000 yards with 10 TDs , do not over look this as a possibility.

Plain and simple I think Pace is and has repeated he likes BPA. (Of course he's also said he believes in drafting a QB each year). Anyhow, our draft is till anyone's guess (probably even Pace). Because they could still move from the 3rd position which changes tactics considerably. That said, he'll either go with extreme need or BPA (depending on where our first pick ends up). For me, QB is still a need and could easily be our first pick. And I still believe that ILB (Foster) could be considered too as BPA.

In other words, everything is still on the table.

I have read various draft guides and Allen will be the BPA at 3 because I think Garrett and Thomas will be drafted in that order. Allen will be a 5 technique and Hicks and Allen will be the 2 dline men in nickel.

I would like your thoughts on taking Cam Robinson in the 2nd because on many mocks he is dropping. His he an upgrade on Massie and Leno Jnr and would he be a day one starter for the 2017 season.

There will be safeties and corners available in rounds 3 and 4.

I have read various draft guides and Allen will be the BPA at 3 because I think Garrett and Thomas will be drafted in that order. Allen will be a 5 technique and Hicks and Allen will be the 2 dline men in nickel.

I would like your thoughts on taking Cam Robinson in the 2nd because on many mocks he is dropping. His he an upgrade on Massie and Leno Jnr and would he be a day one starter for the 2017 season.

There will be safeties and corners available in rounds 3 and 4.

I think their are 4 OTs this year that wont be all pros but can be long time starters. Robinson or Bolles could be available in the second and would at least could start day one at the RT spot.They already tried to upgrade that spot with going after Wagner.

Plain and simple I think Pace is and has repeated he likes BPA. (Of course he's also said he believes in drafting a QB each year). Anyhow, our draft is till anyone's guess (probably even Pace). Because they could still move from the 3rd position which changes tactics considerably. That said, he'll either go with extreme need or BPA (depending on where our first pick ends up). For me, QB is still a need and could easily be our first pick. And I still believe that ILB (Foster) could be considered too as BPA.

In other words, everything is still on the table.

Allen, Adams and Thomas are all consistent top 5 players so all of them are in play as BPA. Even though we need to upgrade the QB position, there is a 90% chance we do not grab a QB with the third pick. There are not even graded as top 15 players in the draft let alone 3rd. Foster is a stud, but no way in hell we take him at 3.

Since we do not know Paces evaluation of the current roster, where do we go with the pick considering the talent on the team at this time.

At QB- Glennon starts and could be the long range answer but no one has the answer to that question right now. I think him and Sanchez being added guarantees we dont go there in the first.

At WR- Will Ashton gone now, it leaves us banking on White as being the player we drafted but still a big question mark. With adding Wright and Wheaton, I see us not going with a WR in the first.

At TE- we added a blocking TE with catching upside, Miller will get less playing time and should help him stay healthier. I think they like Brown and Baunnecker enough to not pick Howard at this pick. (spoiler alert)

At OT- we have a need to upgrade and all Compton is just a backup. No one is rated high enough in this draft to take at this spot, but if we would move down, could be possible.

DL- we definitely have a need and only added a NT player in FAgency. Bullard was a high pick last year that will probably take a step in the second year but still is a strong possibility we grab Allen at this spot. Adding a all pro type 10 sack a year guy to your front seven seems like a good idea.

Edge rusher- We need Floyd to improve and McPhee to stay healthy. If that happens with Houston and Young still here we are in good shape here but do not underestimate us grabbing Thomas if available that can help the DL plus be an edge rusher. Would be a great pick for the front seven.

CB- Grabbing Cooper could be a sneaking good signing but Prince is only on a one year deal. We could very well use a stud CB even with the large group of DBs we have none are a true #1. STRONG POSSIBLITY

S- With Demps we have a temporary starter but do not view him long term. Amos played Ok but is not a star. Bush has yet to show anything but with Hall and Fuller being moved to S, I can see use not viewing this as as great a need. Adams will be there and not only being better than anyone on our roster, a great leader , we could very well be calling his name at #3. Even if Hall or Fuller pans out at FS , Amos is who Adams would be replacing.

Summary: Our greatest needs , in my opinion, are LT-CB-DL-SS. Who at #3 would have the greatest impact on our team going forward.

Allen compares to Sheldon Richardson by several draft sites.

Adams compares to Eric Weddle by a few sites.

There are no all pro type LTs in this draft, so definitely see us not taking one that early.

Thomas is more of a Justin Smith that would have a great impact on our defense.

Lattimore has been compared to Vontae Davis by one expert.

Since the draft is deep in CBs and Ss, I can see us deciding between Allen and Thomas. I would say Thomas, but if he is gone it will be Allen.

One that makes a lot of sense would be Adams, but we could get a 10 starter in the second round in this draft.

Spoiler Alert----Since we are going to add a playmaker at #3, one of the better impact players in this draft is O J Howard. With our WRs having some doubts grabbing a all pro type TE that can block(helps our running game) and catch 65 balls for almost a 1000 yards with 10 TDs , do not over look this as a possibility.

Leonard Fournette is a top 5 can't miss RB. He may not be on our board but some team may want to jump ahead of Jax and trade to our spot. This would be a blessing imo. #3 is too rich for S and possibly the QBs. Allen would be the only player being a 5T worth the money. Thomas would be good but we have a lot of money invested at OLB already and I think by trading down we can get a player just as good in Derek Barnett.

I would not rule out QB bc Glennon is on a one year deal basically being paid around the middle of the QB pack. Pace has drafted a player each draft that he has brought in for a personal workouts, and all the QBs have or will be brought in. Pace also has to know if he doesn't get a QB with our first pick, he will either have to trade up to get one or take a middle of the road prospect and take alot of media heat for not addressing the position earlier.

It is all a guess and that makes it fun. I would be happy with Garrett, Thomas, Allen, or Adams. I would understand taking a QB also because they are the keys to long term stability. It would be a blast to get together with this crew for drinks and the draft, I suppose we do online but the draft is one holiday I enjoy.

Allen, Adams and Thomas are all consistent top 5 players so all of them are in play as BPA. Even though we need to upgrade the QB position, there is a 90% chance we do not grab a QB with the third pick. There are not even graded as top 15 players in the draft let alone 3rd. Foster is a stud, but no way in hell we take him at 3.

I think there is a lot more debate about Allen's value after the combine where he showed he just doesn't have any special physical traits. Most boards have dropped him back a bit to between 5 and 10. He's still a very good football player and absolutely is an upgrade for our roster. With the injury concerns it is safe to think the Bears have him graded down a bit as well.

Just a couple examples:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2700859...-big-board-more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000079...17-nfl-draft-30

That leaves a two-way race between Thomas and Adams with Hooker on the outside. Watch for the Bears to schedule a visit with Hooker closer to the draft to check on his health.

Fournette might be the wild card we were hoping for and if teams are willing to trade up for him that bodes well for us. Even if they trade with SF then it leaves us choosing among Thomas and Adams. If we drop back to 6-10 then almost every position is a possibility: CB Lattimore, DE Allen, ILB Foster, QB Trubisky, FS Hooker, TE Howard, WR Corey Davis, WR Mike Williams. End up closer to the middle of the 1st Rd and you can OT to that list.

I think there is a lot more debate about Allen's value after the combine where he showed he just doesn't have any special physical traits. Most boards have dropped him back a bit to between 5 and 10. He's still a very good football player and absolutely is an upgrade for our roster. With the injury concerns it is safe to think the Bears have him graded down a bit as well.

Just a couple examples:

That leaves a two-way race between Thomas and Adams with Hooker on the outside. Watch for the Bears to schedule a visit with Hooker closer to the draft to check on his health.

Fournette might be the wild card we were hoping for and if teams are willing to trade up for him that bodes well for us. Even if they trade with SF then it leaves us choosing among Thomas and Adams. If we drop back to 6-10 then almost every position is a possibility: CB Lattimore, DE Allen, ILB Foster, QB Trubisky, FS Hooker, TE Howard, WR Corey Davis, WR Mike Williams. End up closer to the middle of the 1st Rd and you can OT to that list.

There are many so called draft experts but the ones I pay attention to are the former scouts. I have not seen any of them drop him out of the top 5.

Just a couple examples:

Hey there, if you have time listen to this podcast that discusses who would be a better pick between Thomas and Allen.

otim_newsfeed&spot_im_combearswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/28/solomon-thomas-or-jonathan-allen-who-is-better-for-the-bears/?spotim_referrer=newsfeed&utm_source=spotim&utm_medium=spment_id=sp_mR8DcUXj_401058_c_u74qkR

The link didnt load , it is on Bearswire where you can find it.

There are many so called draft experts but the ones I pay attention to are the former scouts. I have not seen any of them drop him out of the top 5.

I gave you one link to a former Ravens scout.

Here's another link to a former scouts opinion and he has Allen behind Garrett, Thomas, and Barnett:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000079...-by-position-20

I'm entirely open to other sources if you provide them. Of course I'm biased by my own opinion of what I saw Allen do in the CFB playoffs, where he didn't look like a guy who will dominate NFL Olines.

Hey there, if you have time listen to this podcast that discusses who would be a better pick between Thomas and Allen.

otim_newsfeed&spot_im_combearswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/28/solomon-thomas-or-jonathan-allen-who-is-better-for-the-bears/?spotim_referrer=newsfeed&utm_source=spotim&utm_medium=spment_id=sp_mR8DcUXj_401058_c_u74qkR

The link didnt load , it is on Bearswire where you can find it.

No worries on the link I'm familiar with Bearswire. I agree with most of his assessment but I prefer to take the higher ceiling on the edge player without the health risk we'd incur with Allen. I think the floor for both players is pretty similar although Allen is more prepared to step in day 1, so he will have the better rookie season. OTOH, as they said, Thomas faced double and sometimes triple teams on almost every down. Allen was far from the sole focus of the Oline and also benefitted from an outstanding secondary providing coverage downfield.

Do I think Allen is a 10yr Pro Bowl player as he does? Not at all, because I don't see a guy who can beat double teams at the NFL level. He has neither the size/strength nor the quickness needed for that. Do I see Thomas as a 10yr Pro Bowl player? No but while he also does not have the size/strength beat a double team, he does have the quickness to do so at times. So both offer potential for a few Pro Bowl seasons, Thomas perhaps a couple more if he hits his upside.

I think their run defense will be similar in performance, albeit from different spots on the Dline, but Thomas offers more pass rush potential.

No worries on the link I'm familiar with Bearswire. I agree with most of his assessment but I prefer to take the higher ceiling on the edge player without the health risk we'd incur with Allen. I think the floor for both players is pretty similar although Allen is more prepared to step in day 1, so he will have the better rookie season. OTOH, as they said, Thomas faced double and sometimes triple teams on almost every down. Allen was far from the sole focus of the Oline and also benefitted from an outstanding secondary providing coverage downfield.

Do I think Allen is a 10yr Pro Bowl player as he does? Not at all, because I don't see a guy who can beat double teams at the NFL level. He has neither the size/strength nor the quickness needed for that. Do I see Thomas as a 10yr Pro Bowl player? No but while he also does not have the size/strength beat a double team, he does have the quickness to do so at times. So both offer potential for a few Pro Bowl seasons, Thomas perhaps a couple more if he hits his upside.

I think their run defense will be similar in performance, albeit from different spots on the Dline, but Thomas offers more pass rush potential.

Personally I would take Thomas over Allen but my point is , he is still a top 5 rated player in the draft. If the shoulder issues had been more damaging then I would agree with you on him dropping in his rating, but most view that as not a problem going forward. I think Thomas has more upside as far as being a pass rusher. I think Allen can be a 10 sack guy a year where Thomas has the potential to be a 15 sack guy a year. Allen can be a dominate 5T of which we have not added during the off season. We have Floyd and McPhee(when healthy) that play the OLB spot . So although Thomas can play the 5T spot, I think he will be used all over the field by Fangio much like Justin Smith was used in SF.

Thomas may go at #2 so that would leave us with the choice of Allen or Adams.

http://www.ourlads.com/top-32-college-seni...ft/2017/3063425

Personally I would take Thomas over Allen but my point is , he is still a top 5 rated player in the draft. If the shoulder issues had been more damaging then I would agree with you on him dropping in his rating, but most view that as not a problem going forward. I think Thomas has more upside as far as being a pass rusher. I think Allen can be a 10 sack guy a year where Thomas has the potential to be a 15 sack guy a year. Allen can be a dominate 5T of which we have not added during the off season. We have Floyd and McPhee(when healthy) that play the OLB spot . So although Thomas can play the 5T spot, I think he will be used all over the field by Fangio much like Justin Smith was used in SF.

Thomas may go at #2 so that would leave us with the choice of Allen or Adams.

http://www.ourlads.com/top-32-college-seni...ft/2017/3063425

All I can find on their site are the pre-combine rankings.

On taking a QB high.

Like others on here I'm sure, I've gone back and forth in my mind on taking a QB high. What I don't want is for Pace to feel like he has to bow to the pressure of taking one high to take one high in an effort to "address the situation." We have to address the position but we have to be smart about how we do it. If we feel one is worth the reach to take at 3, or trade down for, then I can understand going for it. It is a risk at 3 as you are passing on players who are safer bets to be impact players, less of a risk by trading down though to do that you are trading out of a spot to take an arguably safer prospect. I could see us going D with our #3 pick. The con to that is with such a high draft pick at 3 which we hopefully won't have next year may mean needing to trade up for a QB next year vs this year having the ammunition to trade down for a QB and extra picks to work with. That said perhaps next year's QB class will have guys more worthy of trading up to get than this years has at reaching or trading down to get. Pace may very well see this years QB class and feel the quality isn't worth spending a pick in the early rounds and will take his chances with Glennon/Sanchez/Shaw holding the position in 2017 and looking to 2018 to re-evaluate with the hindsight of Glennon's first season in Chicago. He would no doubt get flack for not addressing the QB early if at all in this year's draft, but better to make the hard/unpopular right call than blow it to appease the masses who may be happy about us taking a QB high but will no doubt rip him to shreds if the QB fails. I would like to see us take a QB this year, but only if we see one that we believe can be a starter by season's end or next season. I don't see a point in drafting one if all they'll ever be is a backup or average at best. We already have those guys on our roster.

What does stink is that our #3 pick comes in a draft where the QB position isn't as strong as it will be next year but none of us want to see us pick this high again next year.

The more I think about it, I think the Bears almost have to take Jamal Adams at #3:

By all accounts, he's a great leader, which you need and has no character concerns.

He's an immediate starter and probably the biggest immediate positional upgrade you can make.

No health concerns (Hooker, Lattimore, Allen).

Has all the tools you want.

Seems to be safest bet outside of Garrett to be a pro bowl player, which we desperately need.

The only knocks on him that I've seen are based purely on a question of value, either (1) Should a safety go that high? and (2) can you get comparable value in rounds 2-3? The second one is a legitimate point, but if he's an above average safety, are we going to really care if a couple of the 2/3 guys also do well, especially since some will also bust?

The more I think about it, I think the Bears almost have to take Jamal Adams at #3:

By all accounts, he's a great leader, which you need and has no character concerns.

He's an immediate starter and probably the biggest immediate positional upgrade you can make.

No health concerns (Hooker, Lattimore, Allen).

Has all the tools you want.

Seems to be safest bet outside of Garrett to be a pro bowl player, which we desperately need.

The only knocks on him that I've seen are based purely on a question of value, either (1) Should a safety go that high? and (2) can you get comparable value in rounds 2-3? The second one is a legitimate point, but if he's an above average safety, are we going to really care if a couple of the 2/3 guys also do well, especially since some will also bust?

http://www.scout.com/nfl/bears/story/17680...d-draft-options

this is decent article explaining value of positions.

Kinda reminds me a little of Mike Brown. He would be an enforcer in the secondary that we haven't had in a long time. In a heavy passing league having play makers in your secondary that offenses have to account for and even fear is a valuable commodity. He plays with attitude, intensity, hits like a hammer, and has a nose for the ball. He strikes me as the kind of guy who can elevate his teammate's play as well. Safety is a crowded position on our roster with Fuller and Hall possibly moving to safety, but it's also a position not exactly stacked with impact players. I do also like Solomon Thomas at 3 as well as a disruptive force. Allen would be an impact player early in his career but his physical health/longevity scares me a bit at #3. I wouldn't rule out Lattimore either. It'll certainly be interesting to see what we do at 3 or if we trade down for one of the QB's and extra picks. Based on who is there or who likely will be can make it hard to pass up and trade down.

Kinda reminds me a little of Mike Brown. He would be an enforcer in the secondary that we haven't had in a long time. In a heavy passing league having play makers in your secondary that offenses have to account for and even fear is a valuable commodity. He plays with attitude, intensity, hits like a hammer, and has a nose for the ball. He strikes me as the kind of guy who can elevate his teammate's play as well. Safety is a crowded position on our roster with Fuller and Hall possibly moving to safety, but it's also a position not exactly stacked with impact players. I do also like Solomon Thomas at 3 as well as a disruptive force. Allen would be an impact player early in his career but his physical health/longevity scares me a bit at #3. I wouldn't rule out Lattimore either. It'll certainly be interesting to see what we do at 3 or if we trade down for one of the QB's and extra picks. Based on who is there or who likely will be can make it hard to pass up and trade down.

Adams is a physical, instinctive , born leader. Something this defense needs to put it over the top. The type of players that makes everyone better. He also was stated that he run bewteen a 4.3. to 4.4 at his pro day. The speed factor should boost his stock.

He is a highlight reel of Jamal Adams, you will be impressed.

I want him at no.3. You don't win on O, and this guy can tackle. God, I've missed our DBs being able to tackle. He is the real deal.