Adams = The Flash?

madlithuanian

Seems like he might have a lot of positives Pace tends to like...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/...t-lsus-pro-day/

Jamal Adams runs much faster at LSU’s pro day

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 5, 2017, 11:58 AM EDT

Getty Images

Leonard Fournette’s weight isn’t the only thing that’s gone way down since the Scouting Combine.

According to Mike Mayock of the NFL Network, LSU safety Jamal Adams ran his 40-yard dash in 4.38 seconds.

That’s impressive on its own, but it’s amazing considering he ran a 4.56 in Indianapolis a month ago.

The clocks on campus were showing a 4.33 time for Adams but there’s traditionally some home-cooking involved at every pro day, and the only real “official” times are the ones the teams themselves harvest and keep for their own uses.

The basic fact is that Adams is extremely athletic and rangy, and figures to be a top-10 pick regardless. His combine time didn’t necessarily prevent that, either, so it will be interesting to gauge the reaction.

Adams has been my #1 guy from almost the beginning. The leadership + the production + the intangibles make him a no brainer top 3 pick, and it's that exact reason why the Bears won't take him. They'll take one of the injured guys, Allen or Hooker, and watch Adams become the next Brian Dawkins.

Im thinking Ed Reed.

Adams has been my #1 guy from almost the beginning. The leadership + the production + the intangibles make him a no brainer top 3 pick, and it's that exact reason why the Bears won't take him. They'll take one of the injured guys, Allen or Hooker, and watch Adams become the next Brian Dawkins.

I've got a man-crush on him. Really want to see him destroying the Puckers, Queens and Kitties for us for many years. Get him at no. 3.

I've got a man-crush on him. Really want to see him destroying the Puckers, Queens and Kitties for us for many years. Get him at no. 3.

I still don't want to see a safety at #3. To me that's the equivalent of taking an offensive guard at #3. The position is not worth that high of a pick.

As much as I'd like to see Watson on the team for similar reasons B4ever listed about Adams; he's the one exception I'd like at #3. I realize we have a ton of Safeties on the roster already but this guy has a lot of potential. All of which were listed out by 4ever.

I would love to see Adams in a Bears uniform. Pace drafts players that impact the game, difference makers. He will have to decide if Adams will make the biggest impact. This will be weighed against the impact Thomas, Allen, or even a QB can make. The impact doesn't have to be day one, but when they are playing in February. His previous two picks have/had high upside to change games. White hasn't had much of an opportunity, but he came out of college with those traits. Adams does fit the bill, so this may be his pick. I can see another disruptive pass rusher filling the bill too or if he sees something in a QB we may be shocked and see one taken.

I still don't want to see a safety at #3. To me that's the equivalent of taking an offensive guard at #3. The position is not worth that high of a pick.

I don't get this at all.

Safety is an important part of the secondary and having a safety who plays the run and the pass well is difficult to find and very valuable. Once such a player is identified, he is rarely available (see Eric Berry).

The Bears haven't had a great safety since Mike Brown and may not have even had a safety that qualifies as above average since then, depending on how you feel about Daniel Manning and Chris Harris. The lack of a good safety has been a major reason why the Bears defense has stunk in recent years.

I understand this is a great safety draft. But I think too many people misunderstand what that means. Sure, part of what it means is that you can likely get a likely starter later than usual. Could the Bears draft a starter in the third round? Very possibly. But, in all likelihood, that's probably just going to be another average starter. Which is undoubtedly good value. But the Bears have been using the middle rounds to find average starters for years. Chris Conte, Adrian Amos. Major Wright. All OK. None above average. None premier.

The other part of what "great safety draft" means this year is that there are premier safety prospects available. That is not always the case. In the last ten years there were zero premier safety prospects in 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, and 2015. In 2010 was Eric Berry and Earl Thomas. In 2012 was Mark Barron. In 2016 was Jalen Ramsey (if you consider him a safety). That's it. Four premier safety prospects since 2008. Two of those players are All Pros. One (Ramsey) is probably on his way. The other (Barron) disappointed. That's a pretty good success rate in a limited sample size.

Fact is, you don't get a chance at that all-pro safety that often. Most agree there are two in this draft. One has an injury history and has only started on year of college football. The other defends the pass, is aggressive against the run, has never missed a game, and is universally considered one of the leaders in this draft. Jamal Adams. And I don't understand how that's not worth the #3 pick. DEs like Thomas and Allen are available every year. So are CBs like Lattimore. So are QBs like Watson and Trubisky. A safety like Adams is not available every year and the Bears, drafting at #3, are in the rare position to take him.

Would I like to get him at #10? Sure. Who wouldn't? But more than that - I just want to get him.

I don't get this at all.

Safety is an important part of the secondary and having a safety who plays the run and the pass well is difficult to find and very valuable. Once such a player is identified, he is rarely available (see Eric Berry).

The Bears haven't had a great safety since Mike Brown and may not have even had a safety that qualifies as above average since then, depending on how you feel about Daniel Manning and Chris Harris. The lack of a good safety has been a major reason why the Bears defense has stunk in recent years.

I understand this is a great safety draft. But I think too many people misunderstand what that means. Sure, part of what it means is that you can likely get a likely starter later than usual. Could the Bears draft a starter in the third round? Very possibly. But, in all likelihood, that's probably just going to be another average starter. Which is undoubtedly good value. But the Bears have been using the middle rounds to find average starters for years. Chris Conte, Adrian Amos. Major Wright. All OK. None above average. None premier.

The other part of what "great safety draft" means this year is that there are premier safety prospects available. That is not always the case. In the last ten years there were zero premier safety prospects in 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, and 2015. In 2010 was Eric Berry and Earl Thomas. In 2012 was Mark Barron. In 2016 was Jalen Ramsey (if you consider him a safety). That's it. Four premier safety prospects since 2008. Two of those players are All Pros. One (Ramsey) is probably on his way. The other (Barron) disappointed. That's a pretty good success rate in a limited sample size.

Fact is, you don't get a chance at that all-pro safety that often. Most agree there are two in this draft. One has an injury history and has only started on year of college football. The other defends the pass, is aggressive against the run, has never missed a game, and is universally considered one of the leaders in this draft. Jamal Adams. And I don't understand how that's not worth the #3 pick. DEs like Thomas and Allen are available every year. So are CBs like Lattimore. So are QBs like Watson and Trubisky. A safety like Adams is not available every year and the Bears, drafting at #3, are in the rare position to take him.

Would I like to get him at #10? Sure. Who wouldn't? But more than that - I just want to get him.

Yup!

I would love to see Adams in a Bears uniform. Pace drafts players that impact the game, difference makers. He will have to decide if Adams will make the biggest impact. This will be weighed against the impact Thomas, Allen, or even a QB can make. The impact doesn't have to be day one, but when they are playing in February. His previous two picks have/had high upside to change games. White hasn't had much of an opportunity, but he came out of college with those traits. Adams does fit the bill, so this may be his pick. I can see another disruptive pass rusher filling the bill too or if he sees something in a QB we may be shocked and see one taken.

I agree. I think this is exactly it. Pass Rusher, QB, or Adams are all likely.

I like the value at #3 is to picking all pro pass rushers, perenial LTs or QBs. No LTs or QBs in this group merit that. Pass rushers would be 1A , Solomon Thomas and !B would be J. Allen. The problem is Allen has a slight health question. So if we do not have a shot at Thomas, then pick the BPA on the board who will end up being an all pro. That is screaming Jamal Adams.

I like the value at #3 is to picking all pro pass rushers, perenial LTs or QBs. No LTs or QBs in this group merit that. Pass rushers would be 1A , Solomon Thomas and !B would be J. Allen. The problem is Allen has a slight health question. So if we do not have a shot at Thomas, then pick the BPA on the board who will end up being an all pro. That is screaming Jamal Adams.

Allen slight health question which to me is magnified by the poor showing at the combine where he managed just 21 reps @ 225lbs. Jamal Adams at a mere 214 lbs with arms almost as long as Allen's (1/8" shorter) put up 18 reps. Then the fact he stood on that result during the pro day is surprising, at least to me. Jamal Adams didn't run well at the combine so he comes back at his pro day and runs again.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696844...ts-and-reaction

Most concerning to me are the comments from Alabama's team doctor.

----------------

"Jonathan has really played without symptoms in his shoulders, and it's something that has not affected his performance or function," Cain said. "It doesn't have to be treated during the season. And he's had a couple of great years."

----------------

Sometimes what isn't said matters more. If he doesn't need treatment during the season it sure sounds like he needs treatment every off-season. It's hard to build strength when you can't lift so maybe we're already seeing the effects of that "treatment". There is nothing about the full-time nature of the NFL offseason and its 16 game regular season, playoffs, along with playing against bigger, stronger, and quicker players, that will make this easier for Allen to endure as he gets older.

Allen's strength is his base and his first-step quickness. Unfortunately he doesn't have enough of that quickness and speed to live on the edge as a pass rusher in the NFL as Solomon Thomas does. If he did, the shoulders might be less of a concern simply because he could win some downs on speed alone. Making a living in the trenches might require him to be on a snap count somewhat early in his career. If that happens it isn't all bad because most teams rotate DTs quite a bit anyway.

He'd make our defense better on day 1 and he might have a great rookie season. If that happens someone will point out what we missed but I think his ture value plays out 4 years down the road. Your top 3 pick needs to be a player you absolutely expect to sign to a massive 2nd contract.

I'm glad to see Adams ran better at his pro day. His 4.55 had me concerned because on tape I felt he was faster than that. He's at his best inside the box but offers quite a bit of value in coverage, even at FS. I'm still good if we pick him at #3 and I think he makes the entire group of DBs better. My biggest nitpick with him is that there are times when the plays go away from him where I don't think he's hustling enough to get in on the stop. If the ball is coming to his side of the field he's on his way in a hurry and can close out from 10 yards away in a flash.

I don't know why, but I'm still not on board the Jamal Adams bandwagon. Part of it is the same as bradjock's opinion on safety. Sure, having Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu is amazing, but safeties can often perform well with average talent. The way they do that is with a pass rush. That's why I've wanted Jonathan Allen from the start. He's a monster. And he's be an incredible upgrade over Mitch Unrein. I think he'd be a bigger upgrade than Adams would be at S.

The other problem is that Adams is a SS, not a real FS. The Bears just signed Demps for that role. So picking Adams at #3 wouldn't be a perfect fit. How Hooker, if he weren't injured, would be the perfect fit.

I don't know why, but I'm still not on board the Jamal Adams bandwagon. Part of it is the same as bradjock's opinion on safety. Sure, having Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu is amazing, but safeties can often perform well with average talent. The way they do that is with a pass rush. That's why I've wanted Jonathan Allen from the start. He's a monster. And he's be an incredible upgrade over Mitch Unrein. I think he'd be a bigger upgrade than Adams would be at S.

The other problem is that Adams is a SS, not a real FS. The Bears just signed Demps for that role. So picking Adams at #3 wouldn't be a perfect fit. How Hooker, if he weren't injured, would be the perfect fit.

I think Demps is a FS with his number of interceptions later in his career. So Adams would fit in. I think Adams is so good he transends the position and can play either well. He would give the defense an identity and change the way other teams attack our defense. He is an imitator and would set a tone for our defense at being physical. I would have no problem with either him or Allen and think both would have a big impact on our defense. The one key difference is Adams is a natural born leader and who do we have that takes that spot since Urlacher retired. I think over all Adams has more impact than Allen.

I think Demps is a FS with his number of interceptions later in his career. So Adams would fit in. I think Adams is so good he transends the position and can play either well. He would give the defense an identity and change the way other teams attack our defense. He is an imitator and would set a tone for our defense at being physical. I would have no problem with either him or Allen and think both would have a big impact on our defense. The one key difference is Adams is a natural born leader and who do we have that takes that spot since Urlacher retired. I think over all Adams has more impact than Allen.

Demps is a SS. That's not even something people debate.

Here's the Texans depth chart last year.

Here's local media regarding his position.

Here's where a draft site says the Bears might get Adams even though they have a SS.

Here's where he's complimented for being a good line of scrimmage defender.

And here's the Chicago Bears depth chart. Here's another.

Demps is the SS.

A better argument would be whether or not Adams can play FS.

Here's where a draft site says the Bears might get Adams even though they have a SS.

Demps is the SS.

Isn't Fangio another DC that calls his safeties interchangeable?

Demps is the SS.

It's not hard to find references to Quintin Demps as a free safety either (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2017/03/09/chicago-bears-fill-need-at-safety-by-signing-veteran-quintin-demps/apb3eza/ http://texanswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/11/...aft-need-list/).

None of those sites are directly from the Bears and, let's be honest, they are guessing as to Demps' role on the Bears until someone tells us what it's going to be, and it's going to be relative to who is on the roster, but I would argue that a depth chart that has Adrian Amos as the FS (he has 0 career interceptions and 6 career pass defenses over two years) and Quintin Demps as the SS (who has 7 interceptions and 15 pass defenses over the same period of time) may want to reevaluate its understanding of the meaning of those terms.

I mean, would you disagree that Demps is the best pass defender currently on the roster? If so, shouldn't he be the default FS?

And, for the record, I think Adams would be fine at FS, at least as much so as Adrian Amos, though to answer Lemon's questions, there's not much of a difference between free and strong in the Bears system: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0519-story.html

It's not hard to find references to Quintin Demps as a free safety either (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2017/03/09/chicago-bears-fill-need-at-safety-by-signing-veteran-quintin-demps/apb3eza/ http://texanswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/11/...aft-need-list/).

None of those sites are directly from the Bears and, let's be honest, they are guessing as to Demps' role on the Bears until someone tells us what it's going to be, and it's going to be relative to who is on the roster, but I would argue that a depth chart that has Adrian Amos as the FS (he has 0 career interceptions and 6 career pass defenses over two years) and Quintin Demps as the SS (who has 7 interceptions and 15 pass defenses over the same period of time) may want to reevaluate its understanding of the meaning of those terms.

I mean, would you disagree that Demps is the best pass defender currently on the roster? If so, shouldn't he be the default FS?

And, for the record, I think Adams would be fine at FS, at least as much so as Adrian Amos, though to answer Lemon's questions, there's not much of a difference between free and strong in the Bears system: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0519-story.html

I think there is zero doubt Demps is the SS, and the only reason it's not 100% confirmed is because the Bears list everyone as DB on the official site.

Is he the best pass defender? I don't know. Could be Coop or Prince. The 6 INTs for Demps last year are definitely not the norm for him. Otherwise he would have done it before. He has shown, however, to be a pretty good tackler in the box, something a SS usually does. Comparing him to the weak FS options on the team is an entirely different issue.

I think there is zero doubt Demps is the SS, and the only reason it's not 100% confirmed is because the Bears list everyone as DB on the official site.

Is he the best pass defender? I don't know. Could be Coop or Prince. The 6 INTs for Demps last year are definitely not the norm for him. Otherwise he would have done it before. He has shown, however, to be a pretty good tackler in the box, something a SS usually does. Comparing him to the weak FS options on the team is an entirely different issue.

Doubt in your mind but have read many places where he was stated to be their free safety because of his ball skills. I think he has played both in his career,but I guarantee you he will be playing deep not on the line.

This is one arguement that will be cleared up once off season practices starts. He is the FS. Let me clarify, if we dont draft Hooker.

Doubt in your mind but have read many places where he was stated to be their free safety because of his ball skills. I think he has played both in his career,but I guarantee you he will be playing deep not on the line.

This is one arguement that will be cleared up once off season practices starts. He is the FS. Let me clarify, if we dont draft Hooker.

It's interesting that until this post, I didn't think of a situation.

In my mind, and most reports, Demps is the SS. So I envisioned a situation where Adams is drafted and moved to FS.

I never even considered Demps as SS, Adams being drafted as SS, and Demps being moved to FS. That is how much I considered him the locked in SS. I just figured that because Adams is the superstar, he'd be asked to make the move to FS.

It's interesting that until this post, I didn't think of a situation.

In my mind, and most reports, Demps is the SS. So I envisioned a situation where Adams is drafted and moved to FS.

I never even considered Demps as SS, Adams being drafted as SS, and Demps being moved to FS. That is how much I considered him the locked in SS. I just figured that because Adams is the superstar, he'd be asked to make the move to FS.

Lets say we draft Adams, I think its gives so much flexibility to flip these two between SS and FS, it gives Fangio so much to scheme with.

As they say on the TV commercials: But wait there's more...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2702148...ound-mock-draft

If you are inclined to scrolling, at that link Matt Miller also includes his "fix" for the Bears. Like many here, he starts with 2 defensive players: Adams/Kevin King. I'm good with that. With the FA CBs we signed it would give King a year to add some strength.

Interestingly his "fix" for the Bears is totally different from his mock draft, which has us taking Lattimore and then some OT I literally have never heard of in Dion Dawkins. I hope the Bears steer clear of this Jerry Angelo approach to the draft. It seems very like Angelo to take on the injury risk with Lattimore at #3 (because CB is more of a value position) and then a reach again at #36 to fill another need.

I never heard of Dawkins because he's more often listed as an OG and I'm not doing any work on guards this draft. Nonetheless, taking a guy predicted to be an OG, even if he has some potential at RT, with the 36th pick in the draft seems like one heck of a reach and a complete waste if Dawkins has to fall back to being only a Guard. Maybe Miller isn't aware that we have Long, Whitehair, and Sitton. Then consider the defensive talent we'd be walking away from, or even QB talent, and it just gets worse.

As they say on the TV commercials: But wait there's more...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2702148...ound-mock-draft

If you are inclined to scrolling, at that link Matt Miller also includes his "fix" for the Bears. Like many here, he starts with 2 defensive players: Adams/Kevin King. I'm good with that. With the FA CBs we signed it would give King a year to add some strength.

Interestingly his "fix" for the Bears is totally different from his mock draft, which has us taking Lattimore and then some OT I literally have never heard of in Dion Dawkins. I hope the Bears steer clear of this Jerry Angelo approach to the draft. It seems very like Angelo to take on the injury risk with Lattimore at #3 (because CB is more of a value position) and then a reach again at #36 to fill another need.

I never heard of Dawkins because he's more often listed as an OG and I'm not doing any work on guards this draft. Nonetheless, taking a guy predicted to be an OG, even if he has some potential at RT, with the 36th pick in the draft seems like one heck of a reach and a complete waste if Dawkins has to fall back to being only a Guard. Maybe Miller isn't aware that we have Long, Whitehair, and Sitton. Then consider the defensive talent we'd be walking away from, or even QB talent, and it just gets worse.

I read many things on Dawkins, and some project him as a OT , what most draftniks do is if a player doenst have all of the traits of a LT they just make them guards. He can probably be able to play any position.