Kiper and McShay's Mock Draft picks

adam

3. Chicago Bears

Kiper: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State | Watch highlights

Safety is a clear need. I had gone with Jamal Adams here, but Hooker is more of a center fielder-type with deep range and great speed. He has some Ed Reed in him as a playmaker. In his first season as a starter, he had seven interceptions in 2016, including three pick-sixes.

McShay: Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama | Watch highlights

Stick with the tape on Allen. He's still our No. 2 overall player, even after mediocre workouts. Allen's quickness and power help him constantly push the pocket as a pass-rusher, and he had 22.5 sacks in the past two seasons. The Bears could use a solidifying force along the interior.

36. Chicago Bears

Kiper: Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado | Watch highlights

Chicago brought in Prince Amukamara and Marcus Cooper in free agency, and I had it taking a safety in Round 1, but the Bears' secondary could still use a boost. Awuzie, my No. 5 corner, is another big defender (6-0, 202) with dynamite athleticism (4.43 40, 11-foot broad jump at the combine).

McShay: Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida | Watch highlights

Awuzie is one of my favorite under-the-radar players in this draft, but I like Wilson better for the Bears. Chicago had just eight INTs all last season (tied for 29th overall); Wilson has some of the best ball skills in this CB class.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/...-nfl-mock-draft

---------------------------------------------------------

Both go defense-defense in the first two rounds. What do you think?

Entirely plausible we go with Hooker/Awuzie but I still think we take Adams over Hooker. I'd be very happy with Awuzie in the 2nd Rd. He is more athletic than I thought he was a couple months ago and we already knew he was a very good football player in all aspects of the game, including special teams. If we were to draft Adams/Awuzie we would instantly improve the secondary into a very athletic and physical group. LeBlanc is small in stature but he too likes contact. Amos does too for that matter.

In front of them you have Freeman, Kwit, and Trevathan (once healthy) and all 3 like to come downhill. In front of them we have guys like McPhee, Hicks, and Goldman. I think we'd see the start of a soon-to-be intimidating physical defense.

Entirely plausible we go with Hooker/Awuzie but I still think we take Adams over Hooker. I'd be very happy with Awuzie in the 2nd Rd. He is more athletic than I thought he was a couple months ago and we already knew he was a very good football player in all aspects of the game, including special teams. If we were to draft Adams/Awuzie we would instantly improve the secondary into a very athletic and physical group. LeBlanc is small in stature but he too likes contact. Amos does too for that matter.

In front of them you have Freeman, Kwit, and Trevathan (once healthy) and all 3 like to come downhill. In front of them we have guys like McPhee, Hicks, and Goldman. I think we'd see the start of a soon-to-be intimidating physical defense.

Has anyone heard any updates on Trevathan? I don't see the Bears going into season with only Kwit/Freeman. I can see the Bears taking an upside ILB more so than a CB in this draft. I doubt they go Foster round 1, but after I can see them taking McMillon rd2 or Beckwith rd 4. Since we would be more about depth at ILB, the later would be best.

Has anyone heard any updates on Trevathan? I don't see the Bears going into season with only Kwit/Freeman. I can see the Bears taking an upside ILB more so than a CB in this draft. I doubt they go Foster round 1, but after I can see them taking McMillon rd2 or Beckwith rd 4. Since we would be more about depth at ILB, the later would be best.

I may be in the minority, but I'm fine with Timu and Anderson as the backups at ILB and Jones can still play there in a pinch.

I may be in the minority, but I'm fine with Timu and Anderson as the backups at ILB and Jones can still play there in a pinch.

With the play of kwit, I totally dont seeing them drafting a ILB at all, unless a high graded one ends up being the BPA in a round.

With the play of kwit, I totally dont seeing them drafting a ILB at all, unless a high graded one ends up being the BPA in a round.

Kwit is good, but Trevathan will most likely miss the first chunk of the season. Looking long term, the Bears need to invest in another prospect within this year or next bc Freeman won't be here much longer, he could be cut next year for 3.5mil savings. ILB is probably Fangios biggest asset to his D, he had great ones in SF. Maybe I just want to see another home grown great in a Bears uni.

Kwit is good, but Trevathan will most likely miss the first chunk of the season. Looking long term, the Bears need to invest in another prospect within this year or next bc Freeman won't be here much longer, he could be cut next year for 3.5mil savings. ILB is probably Fangios biggest asset to his D, he had great ones in SF. Maybe I just want to see another home grown great in a Bears uni.

with all the pressing needs, they cant plan that far ahead

with all the pressing needs, they cant plan that far ahead

Agree. ILB is way down on the list because ILB is a hole-filler in this D. Read play, fill gap, make tackle. Sometimes drop to deep middle and cover the TE. If the NT is doing his job the ILBs don't have to be incredible, just competent tacklers. Those kind of guys are a dime a dozen, 4th and later. It's also where I think college "tackling machines" who lack ideal measurements work really well.

Agree. ILB is way down on the list because ILB is a hole-filler in this D. Read play, fill gap, make tackle. Sometimes drop to deep middle and cover the TE. If the NT is doing his job the ILBs don't have to be incredible, just competent tacklers. Those kind of guys are a dime a dozen, 4th and later. It's also where I think college "tackling machines" who lack ideal measurements work really well.

I'd say Fangio thinks different since two of their bigger fa signings last season was Trevathon and Freeman. Since we will have them for at least another season, they likely won't draft one. It depends on Trevathons timetable too. They would be a Freeman injury away from wishing they had another Kwit type prospect.

Everything Pace and Fox have done in the last 2 years indicate that you put your money in the front 7 and the back end will take care of itself. If we think a guy is a true difference maker and the BPA, we could draft a top tier secondary player.

But to go secondary back to back??? Ain't no way in hell that's happening.

That being said, if we add Allen to our front 7, I feel like I could play CB for the Bears.

3. Chicago Bears

Kiper: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State | Watch highlights

Safety is a clear need. I had gone with Jamal Adams here, but Hooker is more of a center fielder-type with deep range and great speed. He has some Ed Reed in him as a playmaker. In his first season as a starter, he had seven interceptions in 2016, including three pick-sixes.

McShay: Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama | Watch highlights

Stick with the tape on Allen. He's still our No. 2 overall player, even after mediocre workouts. Allen's quickness and power help him constantly push the pocket as a pass-rusher, and he had 22.5 sacks in the past two seasons. The Bears could use a solidifying force along the interior.

36. Chicago Bears

Kiper: Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado | Watch highlights

Chicago brought in Prince Amukamara and Marcus Cooper in free agency, and I had it taking a safety in Round 1, but the Bears' secondary could still use a boost. Awuzie, my No. 5 corner, is another big defender (6-0, 202) with dynamite athleticism (4.43 40, 11-foot broad jump at the combine).

McShay: Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida | Watch highlights

Awuzie is one of my favorite under-the-radar players in this draft, but I like Wilson better for the Bears. Chicago had just eight INTs all last season (tied for 29th overall); Wilson has some of the best ball skills in this CB class.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/...-nfl-mock-draft

---------------------------------------------------------

Both go defense-defense in the first two rounds. What do you think?

I'd say Fangio thinks different since two of their bigger fa signings last season was Trevathon and Freeman. Since we will have them for at least another season, they likely won't draft one. It depends on Trevathons timetable too. They would be a Freeman injury away from wishing they had another Kwit type prospect.

That's only because the year before the Bears had a trio of draft busts playing LB (Bostic, Greene, McClellin), and an undrafted FA Christian Jones in the mix. That group was horrible. They didn't grab ILBs in FA because it was such a key position. They grabbed them because the Bears were simply atrocious at the position and forced to make a FA signing or two.

You're right about injuries though...and that's why they should look for another Kwit prospect, in the 4th round or later.

That's only because the year before the Bears had a trio of draft busts playing LB (Bostic, Greene, McClellin), and an undrafted FA Christian Jones in the mix. That group was horrible. They didn't grab ILBs in FA because it was such a key position. They grabbed them because the Bears were simply atrocious at the position and forced to make a FA signing or two. You're right about injuries though...and that's why they should look for another Kwit prospect, in the 4th round or later.

I don't see them going higher than a 4th either, that's if they decide to even draft LB. I see it plausible if Trevathon is going to miss significant time. Beckwith from LSU may be a name in the 4th.