UDFA Tanner Gentry, WR, out of WYU getting a lot of press

adam

Sports Illustrated:

The Bears did not draft a receiver, and their depth chart at the position is a hodgepodge of options—Cameron Meredith, undrafted in 2015, actually led the team in receiving last year. There is an opportunity, then, for Gentry, a 6' 1", 200-pounder with sticky hands. He produced 1,300-plus yards and 14 TDs last season.

PFF:

Following the draft, the Bears signed former Wyoming WR Tanner Gentry as an undrafted free agent. In 2016, he graded as the 13th-best WR in the class (minimum 600 snaps). Gentry was the most active deep threat in college football last year. He had 49 deep passing targets (3.5 targets per game) and caught 22 of them, both tops in the FBS in 2016. Compared to the rest of the NFC North, the Bears threw the most catchable deep balls (33) and had the highest proportion of deep-ball targets (20.2 percent) last season. Josh Allen, Gentry’s quarterback in 2016, had a 91.6 NFL QB rating overall. When targeting Gentry, his rating was 124.6.

Tanner-Gentry.png

Bleacher Report:

The Chicago Bears' 2017 NFL draft will always be defined by the trade that landed quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. But the team only made four more selections through the final six rounds. Such a small number of picks wasn't enough to address all of the team's concerns.

The front office attempted to build around Trubisky with the selections of Ashland tight end Adam Shaheen, North Carolina A&T running back Tarik Cohen and Kutztown offensive lineman Jordan Morgan. However, wide receiver wasn't addressed.

Chicago has an eclectic collection of talent at wide receiver, but none of the targets strikes fear into defenses, unless Kevin White finally develops. Otherwise, the Bears quarterbacks will rely on Cameron Meredith, Deonte Thompson, Rueben Randle, Markus Wheaton and Kendall Wright.

With a strong camp, an undrafted free agent like Tanner Gentry can push aside some of these retread receiver options. Gentry is a 6'1", 208-pound target with a 38" vertical, per NFL Draft Scout. His vertical would have finished fourth among wide receivers at the NFL combine.

The Wyoming product finished his senior campaign with 72 receptions for 1,326 yards and 14 touchdowns. According to PFF College Football, he ranked eighth in this year's class with an average of 3.41 yards per route run.

The Bears need more of an outside threat from their wide receivers, and Gentry can help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was concerned that we didn't draft a WR, but Gentry may stick. What do you think?

Not exactly the big body receiver we need but in considering the comps you show I'd say he's definitely worth a look. Why was he not drafted with those comps is definitley worth asking. But the fact he is a relative non-risk as an UDFA is good.

I'm starting to question much of what Pace does but I have liked some of his UDFA choices over the years. Timu, Callahan and Meredith being examples.

Not exactly the big body receiver we need but in considering the comps you show I'd say he's definitely worth a look. Why was he not drafted with those comps is definitley worth asking. But the fact he is a relative non-risk as an UDFA is good.

I'm starting to question much of what Pace does but I have liked some of his UDFA choices over the years. Timu, Callahan and Meredith being examples.

how many big WRs do you want? we have White, 6'3" 214 and Meredith 6'3" 207

we also have two big body TEs that will be a big part of the passing game Shaneen 6'6 1/2 278 Sims 6'4" 261

We also have Daniel Brown who is a combo WR/TE 6'5" 243.

So how many big body WRs do you need? we are loaded with them

He slipped in the draft because of his speed 4.59, it happens all the time.

I know next to nothing about Gentry, but he's one of those guys I like to get behind. He's a guy who put up good stats in college for more than one year, but then had a disappointing drill of some kind. In this case it was the forty. I like Kwiatkoski before the draft last year because he was a tackling machine, but he also dropped off because of a bad forty.

Let's hope Gentry surprises. I wouldn't mind seeing him make the roster in place of Bellamy. I'll never forgive him for the drop in the Titans game last year.

I know next to nothing about Gentry, but he's one of those guys I like to get behind. He's a guy who put up good stats in college for more than one year, but then had a disappointing drill of some kind. In this case it was the forty. I like Kwiatkoski before the draft last year because he was a tackling machine, but he also dropped off because of a bad forty.

Let's hope Gentry surprises. I wouldn't mind seeing him make the roster in place of Bellamy. I'll never forgive him for the drop in the Titans game last year.

The great Jerry Rice ran a 4.7

I think it's probably a result of the Bears not having an immediately impressive UDFA class, and everyone wants a story, so he seems like the best bet for making the team aside from maybe Andy Phillips. I think it's more likely he sticks on the practice squad and Braverman makes the team.

I think it's probably a result of the Bears not having an immediately impressive UDFA class, and everyone wants a story, so he seems like the best bet for making the team aside from maybe Andy Phillips. I think it's more likely he sticks on the practice squad and Braverman makes the team.

I also think Joseph has a chance to stick with probably the practice squad at first, our backup OTs arent anything to get excited about.

how many big WRs do you want? we have White, 6'3" 214 and Meredith 6'3" 207

we also have two big body TEs that will be a big part of the passing game Shaneen 6'6 1/2 278 Sims 6'4" 261

We also have Daniel Brown who is a combo WR/TE 6'5" 243.

So how many big body WRs do you need? we are loaded with them

He slipped in the draft because of his speed 4.59, it happens all the time.

I should have qualified it by saying not only big body but true #1 receiver. I don't think "loaded" is the correct term when you only list two. And of those White hasn't played a full season and Meredith is still re-defining himself. If he repeats or betters himself from a year ago then maybe he should be considered a true #1 big body receiver. Until then, having a third option would be better.

Most of the other receivers are of the speed variety that help open the field vertically. And a few others are slot/underneath route runners. To get a balance you need receivers that can also go up for contested throws and dominate their receiving area. Sure those TEs you listed could be potential big play receivers but more often than not they will probably be extra blockers or red zone receivers. And of them Sims is really the only one that has shown any down field ability yet.

I should have qualified it by saying not only big body but true #1 receiver. I don't think "loaded" is the correct term when you only list two. And of those White hasn't played a full season and Meredith is still re-defining himself. If he repeats or betters himself from a year ago then maybe he should be considered a true #1 big body receiver. Until then, having a third option would be better.

Most of the other receivers are of the speed variety that help open the field vertically. And a few others are slot/underneath route runners. To get a balance you need receivers that can also go up for contested throws and dominate their receiving area. Sure those TEs you listed could be potential big play receivers but more often than not they will probably be extra blockers or red zone receivers. And of them Sims is really the only one that has shown any down field ability yet.

first of all we are loaded with big targets, inconsequentially of being a WR or TE, it is all part of the passing game. You should be more clearer when stating big body and then say #1 WR, totally different statements. The post is about a UDFA WR, so saying you were referring to a #1 WR is dumb. By the way White has always been considered a #1, but being injured has derailed his career up to the this point.

Sports Illustrated:

The Bears did not draft a receiver, and their depth chart at the position is a hodgepodge of options—Cameron Meredith, undrafted in 2015, actually led the team in receiving last year. There is an opportunity, then, for Gentry, a 6' 1", 200-pounder with sticky hands. He produced 1,300-plus yards and 14 TDs last season.

PFF:

Following the draft, the Bears signed former Wyoming WR Tanner Gentry as an undrafted free agent. In 2016, he graded as the 13th-best WR in the class (minimum 600 snaps). Gentry was the most active deep threat in college football last year. He had 49 deep passing targets (3.5 targets per game) and caught 22 of them, both tops in the FBS in 2016. Compared to the rest of the NFC North, the Bears threw the most catchable deep balls (33) and had the highest proportion of deep-ball targets (20.2 percent) last season. Josh Allen, Gentry’s quarterback in 2016, had a 91.6 NFL QB rating overall. When targeting Gentry, his rating was 124.6.

Tanner-Gentry.png

Bleacher Report:

The Chicago Bears' 2017 NFL draft will always be defined by the trade that landed quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. But the team only made four more selections through the final six rounds. Such a small number of picks wasn't enough to address all of the team's concerns.

The front office attempted to build around Trubisky with the selections of Ashland tight end Adam Shaheen, North Carolina A&T running back Tarik Cohen and Kutztown offensive lineman Jordan Morgan. However, wide receiver wasn't addressed.

Chicago has an eclectic collection of talent at wide receiver, but none of the targets strikes fear into defenses, unless Kevin White finally develops. Otherwise, the Bears quarterbacks will rely on Cameron Meredith, Deonte Thompson, Rueben Randle, Markus Wheaton and Kendall Wright.

With a strong camp, an undrafted free agent like Tanner Gentry can push aside some of these retread receiver options. Gentry is a 6'1", 208-pound target with a 38" vertical, per NFL Draft Scout. His vertical would have finished fourth among wide receivers at the NFL combine.

The Wyoming product finished his senior campaign with 72 receptions for 1,326 yards and 14 touchdowns. According to PFF College Football, he ranked eighth in this year's class with an average of 3.41 yards per route run.

The Bears need more of an outside threat from their wide receivers, and Gentry can help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was concerned that we didn't draft a WR, but Gentry may stick. What do you think?

I don't think Gentry has the quickness needed to ever become a starter in the NFL but he's a much better receiver (hands) than Bellamy. That's the roster spot I think he challenges for if he's good on special teams. I watched an interview he did with the media at his school, he's just a kid who came out of nowhere and worked hard to become a good player. In that sense he's like Braverman, although they are different styles of WR.

The real intriguing prospect is Franko House listed as a TE but, when looking for his stats all I found was basketball stats. At 6/6 248 I believe this is the latest attempt to find Antonio Gates.

House looks too slow, at least in what little I could find of him running drills. I'll be surprised if he makes the practice squad.

The UDFA prospects I like the best are Mitchell Kirsch OT

and WR Jhajuan Seales https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-jJXH-Xd-s

House looks too slow, at least in what little I could find of him running drills. I'll be surprised if he makes the practice squad.

The UDFA prospects I like the best are Mitchell Kirsch OT

and WR Jhajuan Seales https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-jJXH-Xd-s

the highlight films look good on these players. In the super bowl this year, 39% of teams roster were UDFAs, so it nice when you hit on these players.

first of all we are loaded with big targets, inconsequentially of being a WR or TE, it is all part of the passing game. You should be more clearer when stating big body and then say #1 WR, totally different statements. The post is about a UDFA WR, so saying you were referring to a #1 WR is dumb. By the way White has always been considered a #1, but being injured has derailed his career up to the this point.

So for a psychologist trained plumber you sure have some crappy bedside manners. Perhaps its a pun, perhaps its not(?) You tell me. But, once again you disagree with how I frame my OPINION and call it "dumb". Regardless of it all, at this point we are arguing semantics. I simply said I would have preferred to see a large body WR, who could fill the role of the #1 WR position (like AJ, like Megatron, like Anquan Boldin, etc) rather than another small framed WR. (Funny that you would mention White as the solution to that big body #1 yet realize he has yet to do anything - didn't I see that somewhere before?) To me we have a guy like this in the name of Braverman. And for the record, I was positive in my support of Pace's choices for UDFA (something you insist I never do) and you still bi*#hed.

So for a psychologist trained plumber you sure have some crappy bedside manners. Perhaps its a pun, perhaps its not(?) You tell me. But, once again you disagree with how I frame my OPINION and call it "dumb". Regardless of it all, at this point we are arguing semantics. I simply said I would have preferred to see a large body WR, who could fill the role of the #1 WR position (like AJ, like Megatron, like Anquan Boldin, etc) rather than another small framed WR. (Funny that you would mention White as the solution to that big body #1 yet realize he has yet to do anything - didn't I see that somewhere before?) To me we have a guy like this in the name of Braverman. And for the record, I was positive in my support of Pace's choices for UDFA (something you insist I never do) and you still bi*#hed.

If it's physical WRs you prefer I think you'll like how Gentry plays the game.

If it's physical WRs you prefer I think you'll like how Gentry plays the game.

Perhaps. I was hoping for a highlight of him showing his skills rather than talking about them. I suppose the results of him playing like Dez Bryant will remain in the eye of the beholder. I'm looking forward to it.