Trubisky. Steakhouse. James MacMahon...

madlithuanian

that was a truly terrific article.

THIS is the kind of GM this franchise has needed since jim finks left chicago. even IF trubisky does not turn out as hoped, pace CERTAINLY has. anyone saying if that ONE pick doesn't play out that pace should be gone is out of their minds.

good job finding that piece.

I'm glad I stumbled onto it...

It's definitely making me excited for the future.

THIS is the kind of GM this franchise has needed since jim finks left chicago. even IF trubisky does not turn out as hoped, pace CERTAINLY has. anyone saying if that ONE pick doesn't play out that pace should be gone is out of their minds.

Having a QB in place is the key, Pace understands the importance and made sure this time he got his guy. If he was smart, he would hedge his bet in the next year or two with another prospect with a 3rd or 4th round prospect. Since next season is supposed to be loaded, we may get a higher valued prospect further down the draft.

Having a QB in place is the key, Pace understands the importance and made sure this time he got his guy. If he was smart, he would hedge his bet in the next year or two with another prospect with a 3rd or 4th round prospect. Since next season is supposed to be loaded, we may get a higher valued prospect further down the draft.

we still have glennon to evaluate. i'm really hoping glennon sets the world on fire. what a fantastic opportunity that would be.

in any case unless trubinsky somehow turns into a lemon within a year (highly unlikely) i can't see us drafting another QB prior to the 5th round unless it's a steal over the next 2 years.

we still have glennon to evaluate. i'm really hoping glennon sets the world on fire. what a fantastic opportunity that would be.

in any case unless trubinsky somehow turns into a lemon within a year (highly unlikely) i can't see us drafting another QB prior to the 5th round unless it's a steal over the next 2 years.

If Glennon does light it up, we would have a problem. A good one to have I would add. I expect Trubisky to sit all of this season and compete to start in 2018. At some point they will need to find a solid backup that doesn't cost 15 million or whatever Glennon makes. I can see going 2 years with him but it is hard to see 3. As for drafting one, getting that steal in a year the QB class is rich would be nice. I find it hard to draft real late round guys like Enderle or Fales when their survival rate usually 2-3 years in the league, so I would go round 4 preferably or find a savy veteran that is good being a backup.

Cool read!

great article, you have to like Paces moves in getting who he thinks will be a stud. We never know how this turns out, but it takes balls to do what he did. I do not see us drafting another QB, unless Glennon falls on his face and does not have the prospect of him being around in year two. The fact the last two drafts should show you, that unless he thinks there is one worth drafting, he will take a prospect at another position.

great article, you have to like Paces moves in getting who he thinks will be a stud. We never know how this turns out, but it takes balls to do what he did. I do not see us drafting another QB, unless Glennon falls on his face and does not have the prospect of him being around in year two. The fact the last two drafts should show you, that unless he thinks there is one worth drafting, he will take a prospect at another position.

Eventully they will have to either draft the backup or sign a cheap veteran. I don't see Glennon here for 3 years, maybe two. They would need to draft a guy next year if they want him up to speed to be a #2 by year 3 of Trubiskys career. Otherwise they will be signing the vet backup. It is hard to squeeze a qb in the draft again, but I see it coming in somewhere in the next two years.

Eventully they will have to either draft the backup or sign a cheap veteran. I don't see Glennon here for 3 years, maybe two. They would need to draft a guy next year if they want him up to speed to be a #2 by year 3 of Trubiskys career. Otherwise they will be signing the vet backup. It is hard to squeeze a qb in the draft again, but I see it coming in somewhere in the next two years.

here is how i would do it...

1. glennon starts this year. trubinsky is our #2. i keep him as #2 to give him the reps for development. our #3 is connor shaw or sanchez (ONLY kept if he is a better mentor for trubinsky and the staff feels he would be good in that role. if not launch him because he is terrible). i hope shaw is the guy.

if glennon is injured or really, really, sucks move our #3 up to start if trubinsky isn't ready yet. i do NOT want him ruined in his rookie year if he needs more time. i take the qb hit this season and move forward next year with trubinsky if it pans out in this worst case scenario.

2. year two: if glennon has a good + year he competes with trubinsky to start. it would not bother me to sit trubinsky another year at #2. at this time he is the definite #2 and starts if glennon really sucks or is injured. #3 qb is undetermined at this time but sanchez is gone no matter what. hopefully glennon has a killer first year and lights it up the 2nd unless trubinsky shines.

if trubinsky looks like our #1 over glennon and is more than ready to start we can trade glennon preseason.

2B. post year two: unless glennon actually looks like he could be our franchise qb and projects to be a better qb than trubisky we trade him in the offseason prior to the draft. we try to work with glennon so he goes to a franchise he would be happy with for the services rendered. if glennon looks like only a good backup and we can't get good value out of him we renegotiate his contract and keep him as our #2.

if we keep glennon for our future #1 we sit trubinsky one more year or trade him. he would STILL hold a lot of value in the qb market.

1. glennon starts this year. trubinsky is our #2. i keep him as #2 to give him the reps for development. our #3 is connor shaw or sanchez (ONLY kept if he is a better mentor for trubinsky and the staff feels he would be good in that role. if not launch him because he is terrible). i hope shaw is the guy.

if glennon is injured or really, really, sucks move our #3 up to start if trubinsky isn't ready yet. i do NOT want him ruined in his rookie year if he needs more time. i take the qb hit this season and move forward next year with trubinsky if it pans out in this worst case scenario.

2. year two: if glennon has a good + year he competes with trubinsky to start. it would not bother me to sit trubinsky another year at #2. at this time he is the definite #2 and starts if glennon really sucks or is injured. #3 qb is undetermined at this time but sanchez is gone no matter what. hopefully glennon has a killer first year and lights it up the 2nd unless trubinsky shines.

if trubinsky looks like our #1 over glennon and is more than ready to start we can trade glennon preseason.

2B. post year two: unless glennon actually looks like he could be our franchise qb and projects to be a better qb than trubisky we trade him in the offseason prior to the draft. we try to work with glennon so he goes to a franchise he would be happy with for the services rendered. if glennon looks like only a good backup and we can't get good value out of him we renegotiate his contract and keep him as our #2.

if we keep glennon for our future #1 we sit trubinsky one more year or trade him. he would STILL hold a lot of value in the qb market.

Verbatim!

Lucky, the only other option would be if Glennon is playing good but not great and we are out of the playoff picture before the trading deadline, I would potentially look to move Glennon then and either start Shaw/Sanchez, or Trubisky if he is ready. There is no rush, but I also don't want to miss on the window to move Glennon when that seems to be the ultimate plan.

If Trubisky is our #2 and Glennon is injured I fully expect to see Trubisky on the field. He needs game experience to get better. David Carr is the poster child for a "ruined QB" but Troy Aikman's and Peyton Manning's rookie seasons didn't ruin them. David Carr didn't lose "it" because of his poor oline play. He just never had "it" or he'd have resurfaced as a viable starter later in his career as guys like Kurt Warner did after getting kicked to the curb.

There have been many other late bloomers at QB who had a much better 2nd half to their career than first half.

If Trubisky is not ready to play because he's lost in the playbook then just keep him as the #3. That's better than setting false expectations by listing him as the #2 and then benching him when the time comes. Do that and everyone knows the organization was lying about his performance and a huge media circus opens up at Halas Hall.

If Trubisky is our #2 and Glennon is injured I fully expect to see Trubisky on the field. He needs game experience to get better. David Carr is the poster child for a "ruined QB" but Troy Aikman's and Peyton Manning's rookie seasons didn't ruin them. David Carr didn't lose "it" because of his poor oline play. He just never had "it" or he'd have resurfaced as a viable starter later in his career as guys like Kurt Warner did after getting kicked to the curb.

There have been many other late bloomers at QB who had a much better 2nd half to their career than first half.

If Trubisky is not ready to play because he's lost in the playbook then just keep him as the #3. That's better than setting false expectations by listing him as the #2 and then benching him when the time comes. Do that and everyone knows the organization was lying about his performance and a huge media circus opens up at Halas Hall.

Disagree. David Carr was brutalized for 3 years. The guy never had a chance. Kurt Warner had some success before failure, so he had something to remember once he was put in a good situation again.

I'm shocked some of you guys are content with sitting a #2 pick in the entire NFL draft for two straight years. That would suck in my opinion. It's two years that the Bears don't get to play a first round pick. Two years that a first round pick at another position would be racking up stats and getting his legs underneath him.

I'm shocked some of you guys are content with sitting a #2 pick in the entire NFL draft for two straight years. That would suck in my opinion. It's two years that the Bears don't get to play a first round pick. Two years that a first round pick at another position would be racking up stats and getting his legs underneath him.

If Glennon is a stud, I don't mind if he sits until he's traded.

If Glennon is a stud, it's like winning the Lotto. We're talking about a ridiculously small percentage hypothetical situation. If Glennon is Johnny Unitas reincarnated...no one is going to mind waiting on Trubisky a bit longer...

The reality is he won't even be remotely close to that... And the larger concern will be is it too soon to put Trubisky in?

If Glennon is a stud, it's like winning the Lotto. We're talking about a ridiculously small percentage hypothetical situation. If Glennon is Johnny Unitas reincarnated...no one is going to mind waiting on Trubisky a bit longer...

The reality is he won't even be remotely close to that... And the larger concern will be is it too soon to put Trubisky in?

Precisely.

But let's say Glennon does turn into a stud. In 2-3 years when he's dominating, and Trubisky has splinters in his rear, we'll be wishing we had a DE, OLB, or S to complement the team that will inevitably be missing a piece or three because there is a #2 overall pick riding the pine.

Still not a problem... If we found the next coming of Unitas in Glennon, then the fact we didn't draft a defensive player this particular draft isn't the end of the world . One would think we draft some in 2018 and 2019.

Hindsight can always be 20/20. And sure, doing the safe thing and getting a defensive guy hoping he'd be an impact guy if Glennon turns out to be a stud would be a windfall. But, it's just too much speculation to remotely be concerned about.

What the hope is realistically is that Glennon can hold the ship down for a year while we see upwards trends on O and D. Then, we get something for Glennon and move on to Trubisky. And draft a boat load of D and O line... Let Trubisky grow in 2018. Then start the run in 2019.

But let's say Glennon does turn into a stud. In 2-3 years when he's dominating, and Trubisky has splinters in his rear, we'll be wishing we had a DE, OLB, or S to complement the team that will inevitably be missing a piece or three because there is a #2 overall pick riding the pine.

Still not a problem... If we found the next coming of Unitas in Glennon, then the fact we didn't draft a defensive player this particular draft isn't the end of the world . One would think we draft some in 2018 and 2019.

Hindsight can always be 20/20. And sure, doing the safe thing and getting a defensive guy hoping he'd be an impact guy if Glennon turns out to be a stud would be a windfall. But, it's just too much speculation to remotely be concerned about.

What the hope is realistically is that Glennon can hold the ship down for a year while we see upwards trends on O and D. Then, we get something for Glennon and move on to Trubisky. And draft a boat load of D and O line... Let Trubisky grow in 2018. Then start the run in 2019.

I think Pace's plan all along was to use Glennon as an expensive smokescreen to get the QB he coveted. Then that smokescreen becomes a sacrificial lamb for one season, which will be enough time to get a few more draft picks and free agents. Pace doesn't care about 2017. Pace is setting up for 2018, and Glennon, that poor bastard, is going to be the scapegoat.

I think Pace's plan all along was to use Glennon as an expensive smokescreen to get the QB he coveted. Then that smokescreen becomes a sacrificial lamb for one season, which will be enough time to get a few more draft picks and free agents. Pace doesn't care about 2017. Pace is setting up for 2018, and Glennon, that poor bastard, is going to be the scapegoat.

You may be right about using Glennon. But I really don't see him as a "poor bastard." I think he's in a far better, and more lucrative, spot than he was with the Bucs. He has an opportunity to show what he has for an audition for what happens to him when Trubisky does take over.

You may be right about using Glennon. But I really don't see him as a "poor bastard." I think he's in a far better, and more lucrative, spot than he was with the Bucs. He has an opportunity to show what he has for an audition for what happens to him when Trubisky does take over.

I absolutely agree. I meant "poor bastard" in terms of staying behind the OL experiment that didn't get OT help.

Otherwise everything is great for him. Chance to start, tons more money.