NFL GMs and Execs grade Bears' offseason

jason

Sando: The Bears joined the 49ers in making a flurry of moves involving mid- and lower-level veteran free agents. Unlike San Francisco, the Bears bet big on a couple of quarterbacks, especially second overall pick Mitchell Trubisky. Of course, this Bears offseason will look much different if Mike Glennon and/or Trubisky become front-line players. The grade suffers for now because the strategy seemed to be an odd mix of planning for the long-term future and scrambling to plug holes by questionable means.

it's a BS grade along with a BS analysis. in other words he said absolutely nothing. all he did was cover his ass if his narrow thought process is proved wrong. it's the analysis you get from someone who seems to refuse to look at the building process as a long term strategy. these are the views of people who will risk nothing unless it is the general consensus of the rest of the pack.

what exactly are "questionable means"? because we chose good young veteran players with POTENTIAL to fill the gaps with little cap hit for the future while we fortified our roster with good draft picks? what grade did the chiefs get from him for trading up to get their QB this draft? what were his grades in the past for teams acquiring QB's in the draft? did they ALL get "D's" until their QB's proved themselves?

it's clear sando knows virtually nothing of the chicago bears and the shape they were in 3 years ago. it's just crap to fill the by lines and anchors the consensus that ESPN is biased toward chicago and has been for decades.

This is one way to make themselves look better for their owner. Since at least half the league's execs are on or close to the abyss of unemployment they naturally want to say "but hey at least I didn't do that...".

conventional wisdom = 8-8

I like what Pace is doing. I think he's taking good risks, and got himself a decent shot at a franchise QB with a first, two thirds and a fourth round pick.

We gave three firsts for Cutler. KC Gave two firsts and more for the second QB chosen.

I know sports is a great topic for everyone to pile on and complain about. Everyone who isnt a super bowl champion is an idiot, I get it. And we should fire everyone all the time.

But thats about as smart as putting a gun to a stock brokers head and demanding next month's stock prices. You can do that, and keep killing them and telling hte next one how tough you are and they better get it right this time.

Or you can step into reality and make calculated bets like Pace does. Some will work, others wont. Trubisky still may be the second coming, so its VERY early to judge that a bad move. I mean wow. But if you can only accept sure things, then youd better have the #1 pick overall every year, and forget anyone in the 2nd round or lower.

Seriously, this chest thumping is ridiculous. Pace is the first real GM we've had since Finks. hes willing to do the dirty work of sludging through the 4 or 5 year process of building a team. While the geniuses scream at him whenever he varies from what the online writers say he should have done.

FOr 20 years we didnt have a GM, remember? THe McCaskeys read Street and Smiths and made value picks based on the common wisdom.

EVERYONE said David Terrell was gonna be AMAZING. Getting him when he fell to us was a COUP. A+ ratings all around.

Could it be that the teams who passed on him, the ones who didnt adhere to conventional wisdom were the pros?

mm hmm.

As Tony Bennett sang..."They all laughed at Christopher Columbus..."

But they are probably right. We suck. We always will. We'll never be good.

But...I don't care. I have hope. :dabears

My wife being from Spain will gladly confirm that there was one woman who did not laugh at him.

It doesnt mean anything. It only matters by how it turns out. You can find 85% of everybody that would say they dont like it.

I dont think Pace is going to resign because his peers dont agree with his choices. No one cares.

Wow, hard to be more subjective than to have an opinion of an opinion. Of course other NFL Executives don't like what the Bears did, because it went against conventional wisdom. How can KC have a better grade than the Bears by giving up 2 1st's for Mahomes? The Packers with the 2nd best offseason, wtf ever. This is complete and utter garbage. I didn't realize this was a link to ESPN, which explains the ridiculousness of the article.

This is the most unusual off season I have ever witnessed! In most drafts " They say" 3 years to evaluate. All of a sudden we need instant evaluation not by anyone who has the testicles to put their name to their opinion but by clandestine interviews with league executives. Horse Crap!Ryan Pace who I'm still taking a wait and see approach to after 3 years does a solid job of bringing in young veteran talent from other teams' rosters to minimal deals and get solid production from those pickups. Its June and this team is not even in training camp yet nor are any other teams,but we have evaluations of teams talent based on some talking heads projections and some writer trying to justify the budget being spent on he/she in spite of the layoffs occurring at ESPN.

Just like a "news" article claiming anonymous sources. The writer could have surveyed all 31 other teams and just cherry picked ones that fit his narrative. Articles like this are simply low hanging fruit for lazy writers. It takes little work, talent, or skill to jump on a bandwagon of whichever way the wind is blowing at the moment. Paces's moves bucked conventional thought thus it's bad, wrong, and plain stupid. It being the Bears just makes it easier to pile on. Apart from the fan in me wanting us to win nothing would make me happier than to see this pan out and Pace having right to say I told you so. Course if it does succeed you'll see articles talking about how they knew i'd work all along.