Trubisky

AZ54

This was on the Bears' website a few days ago. We can't know if he'll succeed but we can at least feel good knowing that Trubisky is not going the route of Cade and Rex. Neither of them wanted to put the time in nor had the dedication needed to become a good QB in the NFL. I suspect some of his conviction to get the playbook down this quickly comes from when he hit the bench in 2015. He'll wait his turn this year but not without a fight. Training camp might be more interesting than expected. We'll know early on if he's maintained this focus throughout the summer.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1...8b-c199b5ee3c59

This was on the Bears' website a few days ago. We can't know if he'll succeed but we can at least feel good knowing that Trubisky is not going the route of Cade and Rex. Neither of them wanted to put the time in nor had the dedication needed to become a good QB in the NFL. I suspect some of his conviction to get the playbook down this quickly comes from when he hit the bench in 2015. He'll wait his turn this year but not without a fight. Training camp might be more interesting than expected. We'll know early on if he's maintained this focus throughout the summer.

Not for nothing but here's an article about another spread style offense QB who went early last year. Seems they were optimistic too...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/08/10/rams-trai...ason-jared-goff

I know, I'll be accused of being "negative". I like to think "pragmatic".

No just being contrary...

Boo!

Not for nothing but here's an article about another spread style offense QB who went early last year. Seems they were optimistic too...

I would only say you were being negative if you were arguing that Trubisky was 100% going to be a failure because of this parallel.

If instead, youre arguing that no one can know at this point, then any reasonable person would have to agree.

Im not excited that Trubisky WILL be a stud QB, Im excited that he COULD be. We'll see for sure, and until we see it on the field, it's a lottery ticket for a QB, not a guaranteed stud QB.

But I think there is good reason to hope.

If you consider being negative all the time as being sensible, Mariota was a spread QB, so does that means he isnt any good? When people always look to criticize and find fault all the time, I would call that a sad life, but then you think that is pragmatic.

I would only say you were being negative if you were arguing that Trubisky was 100% going to be a failure because of this parallel.

If instead, youre arguing that no one can know at this point, then any reasonable person would have to agree.

Im not excited that Trubisky WILL be a stud QB, Im excited that he COULD be.

Agreed that all we can do is hope. More the point of this particular parallel are the similarities. Case Keenum is our Glennon and Goff = Trubisky. And that they are both from spread offenses isn't lost on me either. I don't predict that Trubisky will do bad at all. In fact once our season starts I suspect the parallels and similarities will end. Glennon will do better than Keenum and we probably really won't see how good (or bad) Trubisky is this year.

Agreed that all we can do is hope. More the point of this particular parallel are the similarities. Case Keenum is our Glennon and Goff = Trubisky. And that they are both from spread offenses isn't lost on me either. I don't predict that Trubisky will do bad at all. In fact once our season starts I suspect the parallels and similarities will end. Glennon will do better than Keenum and we probably really won't see how good (or bad) Trubisky is this year.

That doesnt sound too negative to me at all.

I do think Trubisky will get some playing time tho, and that it's possible that a well performing Glennon will be on the trading block next year.

I see nothing but caution in the quotes from the teams coaches and organization. Goff is a wonderfully accurate passer when he has time to throw. When the pocket closes down in college he always threw off his back foot and it showed on the accuracy and velocity of his throws. Trubisky is not immune to throwing off his back foot either. In fairness, there are times when it should absolutely be done (short route, wide open receiver) and the QB needs just a split second more time to get the ball out. Watch any game and it's clear that every QB does it to some extent but if they try to push the ball into a tight window or further downfield they often end up in trouble. Trubisky tendency is more of what you see here at the 1:50 mark:

http://archive.draftbreakdown.com/video/mi...-stanford-2016/

Back to the original topic. The Bears are also being cautious with their words. All I was pointing out is that Trubisky is at least putting in extra time to learn the offense. We've had other 1st RD QBs in the past who did not do that at all. So at least in this aspect of finding a QB willing to put the time in to become good, it appears Pace was right. I expect Mahomes and probably Watson are equally as committed. Kizer I'm not so sure. Nobody knows how Trubisky's effort will pay off.

That's about all I'm looking for 6 weeks into his first offseason. If he keeps his focus it'll show up early in training camp.

I don't recall major issues with Rex on the playbook side. I presume part of why he stuck around so long as a back-up was because he was all around a good mentor who always had a good handle of the playbook (in case he needed to step in). I'm not saying he was Brady, but I never remember work ethic being a huge issue with Grossman.

I will say, so far I've liked what I've heard out of Trubisky.

While the future is unknown good or bad there are reasons to be optimistic with Trubisky. His current situation has some parallels to his college situation. I like the way he conducted himself having to wait his turn. He approached practice and games as though he was preparing to start even though he knew he was the backup. He prepared hard so if/when his number was called he could step in and not just place hold but have an impact on the game. He could have taken the route of transferring in hopes to start somewhere else but he didn't. He was a hard worker and a teammate first. His approach has been to work hard, prepare hard, stay engaged and the rest will take care of itself. This work ethic appears to be carrying over as an NFL Rookie. It's the approach you want out of a potential franchise QB. Not to come in as a #2 overall pick expecting to be handed everything but expecting instead to work hard for it. That work ethic paid off at UNC and it can pay off in the NFL. He has a hard working no quit attitude and ethic that teammates can rally around and get behind. Whether he succeeds at the NFL level here in Chicago or not he's giving himself the best chance to succeed. Time will tell.

I don't recall major issues with Rex on the playbook side. I presume part of why he stuck around so long as a back-up was because he was all around a good mentor who always had a good handle of the playbook (in case he needed to step in). I'm not saying he was Brady, but I never remember work ethic being a huge issue with Grossman.

I will say, so far I've liked what I've heard out of Trubisky.

I remember a game where he was out partying the night before and played horribly the next day.

I'm so tired of this he played in a spread offense in college and has never taken snaps under center debate when they get to the NFL and play for a team that has 1 RB and 2 TEs and 3 WRs in their first snap in the NFL. This is all crap. The NFL scouts and experts act like they don't spread teams out in the NFL. We have seen many plays when the QB has an empty backfield at PRE-SNAP! I capped the word pre-snap because that is what is the most important transitions for a college QB to the NFL game. There hasn't been many QB prospects over the years who have played in a total pro set in college so I think this is a really useless debate. When NFL teams go no huddle and make play calls at the line of scrimmage what is that. I remember when the Bears had Gary Crowton as an OC and they called all his bubble screens and most of his offense a college offense but, the bubble screen now is a staple in NFL now.

I'm so tired of this he played in a spread offense in college and has never taken snaps under center debate when they get to the NFL and play for a team that has 1 RB and 2 TEs and 3 WRs in their first snap in the NFL. This is all crap. The NFL scouts and experts act like they don't spread teams out in the NFL. We have seen many plays when the QB has an empty backfield at PRE-SNAP! I capped the word pre-snap because that is what is the most important transitions for a college QB to the NFL game. There hasn't been many QB prospects over the years who have played in a total pro set in college so I think this is a really useless debate. When NFL teams go no huddle and make play calls at the line of scrimmage what is that. I remember when the Bears had Gary Crowton as an OC and they called all his bubble screens and most of his offense a college offense but, the bubble screen now is a staple in NFL now.

I think they're just talking about the mechanics of taking the ball from the center and the footwork of fading into the pocket, rather than already being in shotgun.

Youre right the most common formation in the NFL is 1 RB, 1 TE and 3 WR.

I think Trubisky can learn what he needs to learn, but the snap, the footwork, and reading the field while moving are all new to him. He has a while before he needs to come off the bench tho, so I think it'll be fine.

I think they're just talking about the mechanics of taking the ball from the center and the footwork of fading into the pocket, rather than already being in shotgun.

Youre right the most common formation in the NFL is 1 RB, 1 TE and 3 WR.

I think Trubisky can learn what he needs to learn, but the snap, the footwork, and reading the field while moving are all new to him. He has a while before he needs to come off the bench tho, so I think it'll be fine.

BFNYC thank you for recognizing what I was gettingat and for your last comment Matt Barkley made the most starts for this team last year and we still have the same OC,OL and a new QB.Barkley was the number 3 QB last year so it is possible that Glennon who is not considered mobile could get roughed up and that leaves the choice to Sanchez or the number 2 pick in the draft.

BFNYC thank you for recognizing what I was gettingat and for your last comment Matt Barkley made the most starts for this team last year and we still have the same OC,OL and a new QB.Barkley was the number 3 QB last year so it is possible that Glennon who is not considered mobile could get roughed up and that leaves the choice to Sanchez or the number 2 pick in the draft.

Technically Barkley was the #4 QB since he wasn't on the team until the end of August. Without Shaw's injury I doubt he'd have been signed at that time. Maybe they'd have brought him in when Hoyer went down.