Training Camp Surprise

AZ54

Hope springs eternal and then reality sets in. Here's my thoughts on who steps up and who steps down.

Surprise: Mitchell Trubisky. I think from the first week in camp it will be clear he can play in this league. A rookie practicing against the same team every day and playing preseason games against backups does not make him ready to start in week 1. Nonetheless I expect to hear quite a bit of positive reviews about Trubisky during camp.

Disappointment: Eddie Jackson. I was going to put Fuller in here but he's fighting for a job at this point even if it's not in Chicago. I've seen a lot of hype about Jackson after the draft but IMO he was just ok on film and he's not a hard-nosed player. He hasn't been able to practice at this level because of his injury and knowing his lack of physical prowess I expect little from him this year. I think he sticks around because of his athleticism and long term potential at FS. His best chance to play will be as a returner but will he embrace that role after he takes his first big hit?

Hope springs eternal and then reality sets in. Here's my thoughts on who steps up and who steps down.

Surprise: Mitchell Trubisky. I think from the first week in camp it will be clear he can play in this league. A rookie practicing against the same team every day and playing preseason games against backups does not make him ready to start in week 1. Nonetheless I expect to hear quite a bit of positive reviews about Trubisky during camp.

Disappointment: Eddie Jackson. I was going to put Fuller in here but he's fighting for a job at this point even if it's not in Chicago. I've seen a lot of hype about Jackson after the draft but IMO he was just ok on film and he's not a hard-nosed player. He hasn't been able to practice at this level because of his injury and knowing his lack of physical prowess I expect little from him this year. I think he sticks around because of his athleticism and long term potential at FS. His best chance to play will be as a returner but will he embrace that role after he takes his first big hit?

I think the surprise will be Sims playing very well and gets Miller cut from squad.

I think the disappointment will be Long maintaining injury problems and doesnt play until the 4th game of the season. Kush takes his place and plays well.

I think the surprise will be Sims playing very well and gets Miller cut from squad.

I think the disappointment will be Long maintaining injury problems and doesnt play until the 4th game of the season. Kush takes his place and plays well.

Another name I am hearing is Tanner Gentry, Fox will play anybody that is successful, so I think he makes the final cut down.

Another name I am hearing is Tanner Gentry, Fox will play anybody that is successful, so I think he makes the final cut down.

Bullard is up to 300 lbs, I expect to see much better play from him. Floyd has put on 15lbs.

I think what we have is many players working their ass off to be better which will only make this team much better. I think we have a sleeping giant.

I read that Gentry had made some good plays. He must be giving Bellamy the shakes because Bellamy has already had a couple drops.

The 2 things interesting to me that I'm hearing a lot about is Trubisky fumbling snaps under center and Fuller looking good at CB.

Anyone have any insight?

I'm not that surprised Trubisky is fumbling some snaps early in camp. One of the plays involved a safety running up right up over the center just before the snap. No doubt Trubisky started over-thinking the situation and maybe even pulled back early.

With more practice the snap timing will become more second nature.

I've seen multiple people say Fuller has looked good after a shaky first day. I expected he'd get cut or traded but if he turns into a good CB for us that's a huge boost for the secondary. Then our backup becomes Cooper who is much better depth than what we had last year. It's worth watching closely as we get into the first preseason games.

They are letting a lot of safeties get a shot with the #1 unit next to Demps.

I'm not that surprised Trubisky is fumbling some snaps early in camp. One of the plays involved a safety running up right up over the center just before the snap. No doubt Trubisky started over-thinking the situation and maybe even pulled back early.

With more practice the snap timing will become more second nature.

I've seen multiple people say Fuller has looked good after a shaky first day. I expected he'd get cut or traded but if he turns into a good CB for us that's a huge boost for the secondary. Then our backup becomes Cooper who is much better depth than what we had last year. It's worth watching closely as we get into the first preseason games.

They are letting a lot of safeties get a shot with the #1 unit next to Demps.

trubisky: is this with the first or second string line? also who are our centers?

trubisky: is this with the first or second string line? also who are our centers?

3 fumbled snaps were with Boggs. Sunday the fumbled snap was with Whitehair.

Sanchez is horrible and consistently makes bad throws. While taking snaps requires more work by Trubisky people (media) are too focused on that and not reporting on what he's doing well in the passing game. Moving ahead of Sanchez is a low bar but I don't think it will be long before Trubisky moves into the #2 position. Maybe another week or two. At that point Trubisky will start to work with the same group more consistently and he'll also see better talent among the defense. From there it's a long way to go to catch up to Glennon.

Multiple centers.

"Well, it was two different guys at center," Fox said. "Again, he is a rookie. First day in pads, our linemen, the centers a little more anxious to get off the ball because there is quite a bit of force getting ready to hit them. So it's not just the quarterback. First day, getting used to the new center and new quarterback."

The 2 things interesting to me that I'm hearing a lot about is Trubisky fumbling snaps under center and Fuller looking good at CB.

Anyone have any insight?

I blame the CBA. The teams should be allowed more time prior to this point in the offseason for things like this.

Trubisky has evidently made some really special throws/plays. Doesn't mean he isn't really raw though, but nice to see the arm talent delivering. Shaheen has evidently beasted and Cohen has supposedly been like a nintendo game player in terms of his elusiveness (Without pads / tackling). White has practiced (plus) and appears healthy (plus), but has not really stood out in practice (negative). Defense hasn't generated much of a pass rush while corners have been surprisingly solid.

Below is a quote I saw about White:

“He’s not where I want him to be or where we need him to be,” Bears wide receivers coach Zach Azzanni admitted Monday. “He’s a work in progress. He’s had a good three days. Good first day, OK second day, much better today.”

Azzanni was just referring to the three days since pads went on and Sunday’s quiet practice prompted the wide receivers coach to pull out some of White’s tape from West Virginia.

Trubisky has evidently made some really special throws/plays. Doesn't mean he isn't really raw though, but nice to see the arm talent delivering. Shaheen has evidently beasted and Cohen has supposedly been like a nintendo game player in terms of his elusiveness (Without pads / tackling). White has practiced (plus) and appears healthy (plus), but has not really stood out in practice (negative). Defense hasn't generated much of a pass rush while corners have been surprisingly solid.

Pace took a lot of negative grades for drafting Shaheen and Cohen, but as everyone will see, both will be very productive their first year. Laff at me nou, but making the playoffs is not out of reach. It will start with an upset with Atlanta. They will have SB hangover, and we will have many surprises.

3 fumbled snaps were with Boggs. Sunday the fumbled snap was with Whitehair.

Sanchez is horrible and consistently makes bad throws. While taking snaps requires more work by Trubisky people (media) are too focused on that and not reporting on what he's doing well in the passing game. Moving ahead of Sanchez is a low bar but I don't think it will be long before Trubisky moves into the #2 position. Maybe another week or two. At that point Trubisky will start to work with the same group more consistently and he'll also see better talent among the defense. From there it's a long way to go to catch up to Glennon.

is grasau in this mix at center? has whitehair practiced at any other positions besides center? who is glennon working under or is this too early in camp yet for shaking out a first string OL?

thanks for the info

I'd be more shocked if white was standing out and shinning to be honest. He has barely even practiced since we drafted him so it's definitely going to take time. I'm just happy he appears healthy and is out there