Bears VS Titans Game Thread

lemonej

I'm not happy about the injury, but how was it cheap? It was a clean hit, with bad luck of two guys coming from different angles.

Two guys hit him below the waist and that's not a cheap hit? One goes right for the knee from one side (initial contact with helmet was on the knee), the 2nd guy hits him thigh high and that's with him going down. If he is still upright, the 2nd dude hits him square in the knee as well.

Take a look at this:

https://twitter.com/BarstoolChief/status/901862496511905792

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two guys hit him below the waist and that's not a cheap hit? One goes right for the knee from one side (initial contact with helmet was on the knee), the 2nd guy hits him thigh high and that's with him going down. If he is still upright, the 2nd dude hits him square in the knee as well.

Take a look at this:

https://twitter.com/BarstoolChief/status/901862496511905792

Nope. Not cheap. Two hits below the waist is completely legal. Additionally, it's not like they were hitting a stationary target or a RB coming through a single A-gap.

The first guy went guy to hit him was the safety, and it's a perfectly legal hit. In fact, initial contact is right about at the waist. The second guy to hit him is an OLB, and he starts his initial thrust to tackle just as the safety is making contact. Furthermore, he's not really that low either. He came in about waist-high, but his contact point was changed because the first hit was so significant. Was the LB supposed to pull up? Would you have preferred the safety go high and target? Last but not least, I'm not even sure the second hit contributed to the injury all that much. The safety just came in with enough force and at such an angle that after his initial contact around the waist his momentum took him forward and downward into the knee.

Check it out for yourself.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20477677

Like it or not, every level of football has told players to lower their target. Neither tackler dove at ankles and specifically went low.

Nope. Not cheap. Two hits below the waist is completely legal. Additionally, it's not like they were hitting a stationary target or a RB coming through a single A-gap.

The first guy went guy to hit him was the safety, and it's a perfectly legal hit. In fact, initial contact is right about at the waist. The second guy to hit him is an OLB, and he starts his initial thrust to tackle just as the safety is making contact. Furthermore, he's not really that low either. He came in about waist-high, but his contact point was changed because the first hit was so significant. Was the LB supposed to pull up? Would you have preferred the safety go high and target? Last but not least, I'm not even sure the second hit contributed to the injury all that much. The safety just came in with enough force and at such an angle that after his initial contact around the waist his momentum took him forward and downward into the knee.

Like it or not, every level of football has told players to lower their target. Neither tackler dove at ankles and specifically went low.

This..

As much a fan as I'm not for low hits (and ultimately hurt Meredith), can't say this was cheap. OBJ had a similar hit on him a few weeks ago (although only by one player). At the time the commentator said that they're teaching defenders, especially on receivers, that they can't hit high when they're vulnerable (defenseless player) so most players will target low to the waist or lower to avoid hurting the guy. The by-product of trying to protect the players with high hits are ones like this. Beckham came up limping after this and eventually left the game.

maxresdefault.jpg

If we keep Wright, and it appears that we will, then we should go with the youth movement in someone like Gentry or Davis. I was very surprised Davis was out there so early in the game. It seems we might have two options who have been productive this preseason to backfill Meredith's spot. That's not to say either can replace his production just that they might be viable NFL receivers.

My presumption is Davis had gotten more of Meredith's routes in practice (they were playing similar spots) which drove it. Gentry has produced all of training camp and looked solid during the season. I presume Meredith's injury means he'll break camp. I also would have thought Victor Cruz would have been a lock but he's been playing largely with the backups and man that drop yesterday was brutal (of course it was still just one drop). Wright would appear to be a lock, but we do have, on paper, the worse receiving corps in the league, imo.

My presumption is Davis had gotten more of Meredith's routes in practice (they were playing similar spots) which drove it. Gentry has produced all of training camp and looked solid during the season. I presume Meredith's injury means he'll break camp. I also would have thought Victor Cruz would have been a lock but he's been playing largely with the backups and man that drop yesterday was brutal (of course it was still just one drop). Wright would appear to be a lock, but we do have, on paper, the worse receiving corps in the league, imo.

Have you looked at the Jets roster? Of course for them it doesn't matter because they don't have anyone who can be a decent QB.