QB Comparison

adam

Stats so far:

Mitchell Trubisky - 34-48, 354, 70.8%, 7.4, 3-0

Mike Glennon - 26-44, 243, 59.1%, 5.5, 2-2

Glennon is a lock for opening day at this point, and will probably start the first few games. He definitely has some red flags that come out in the stats. 11% less in completion percentage (and he had easier throws), almost 2 yds less per attempt (dink and dunk game plan in game 2) and a TD-INT of 1:1. Those are all bad. You won't win very many games with those numbers.

For the completion pct, that puts Glennon between Siemian and Osweiler/Bortles from 201. Ironically the same as Jay Cutler last year. That would be good for 30th for qualified leaders. The 5.5 yds per attempt is so low that the closest QB's last year were Goff at 5.3 and Osweiler at 5.8. No other QB with 200 or more attempts was under 6.2. Those are alarming numbers. The inability to complete a pass will lead to a lot of missed 3rd downs. The low average per attempt will impact the running game with an extra guy in the box.

The only other thing that could be happening is that the Bears don't want to show their hand and want teams to think we are a dink and dunk offense and Glennon comes out Week 1 throwing bombs. We would all be fooled.

It is preseason and he's learning a new offense with almost all new WRs who are learning this as well. It should have been no surprise that Meredith, the one WR who knew the offense the best, was his favorite target. More than anything for me the inaccuracy on his passes over 10 yards it was worries me. I just think that's his own limitation and it will never get better. Other things like reading defenses, knowing the playbook will.

At least for once we can say he is just keeping the seat warm until our rookie QB is more comfortable with the playbook and reading defenses.

I'm all for starting the season with Tru or going to him after a few games. He's putting up 7+ yards per attempt while Glennon is at 5.5. You can say he had easier defenses and you'd be right but I think getting him the most experience in his first year possible is going to be great for his future growth. Worked for Peyton. We mortgaged the future to get him, get him on the field! And Glennon's deal is really a one year. They overpaid for him but didn't exactly show a lot of confidence. We understand that now.

Interesting that Fox switched things up for Thursday. Trubisky gets the start. Probably meaningless as to who starts week 1 but it'll give him more time with the starters before the season begins.

No starters play in the 4th preseason game, unfortunately. Most of the players will be vying for the final spots on the 53-man and PS.

We need to be careful here because Cleveland has Greg Williams as their DC. He's going to be bringing pressure like crazy and we all know he likes his defenders to injure opponents.

I have to add: This could be interesting because anyone who has seen him play knows there is no way the Browns' Kizer is ready to start in Week 1. It is quite possible that we'll see Trubisky starting for us and Kizer starting for the Browns.

What's puzzling to me is that the supposed #2 QB is not playing and has not played that much in the preseason .Could it be they may go with Glennon,Biscuit and Shaw?

I don't think so. I believe they simply don't care about what Sanchez can do throwing the football (it is what it is) and would rather focus on Trubisky's development. With limited to non-existent reps Sanchez is more likely to stay with the team, if they keep 3 QBs.

We need to be careful here because Cleveland has Greg Williams as their DC. He's going to be bringing pressure like crazy and we all know he likes his defenders to injure opponents.

I have to add: This could be interesting because anyone who has seen him play knows there is no way the Browns' Kizer is ready to start in Week 1. It is quite possible that we'll see Trubisky starting for us and Kizer starting for the Browns.

To add insult to injury, Cleveland is not playing Kizer tonight vs the Bears because he has been named the Week 1 starter. I find that funny because he could use the reps more than Trubisky at this point (they both equally need the experience).

Funny you say this and sure enough, Trubisky gets hit late out of bounds.