Observations from Soldier Field Sept. 9

Connorbear

Beautiful day down by the lakefront. Here is what I saw:

- A lot more Falcons fans than should have been and some empty seats which you usually don't see for the first game.

- Way too many short passes from Glennon. If this trend continues, Tarik Cohen will be a dead man.

- Speaking of Cohen, he is the real deal. However good he looked on TV, he looked even better in person.

- Loved seeing the fullback rush for a first down. Great play call.

- Defense played well except for the two busted TE completions. Hicks earned his paycheck today.

- If Glennon can't play much better than this, then they need to switch to Trubisky soon. I give him credit for the last 2 drives, but he has to get the ball down the field. However, see the next item.

- Glad to see Bellamy and Thompson make an impact but hate to see it as well. They shouldn't be in the field but our WR corp sucks. Our running backs and tight ends are going to catch a crap ton of balls this year.

Overall, the team looked much better than last year. After the last 3 seasons, it was great to have something to cheer for at the end of the game.

Peace :dabears

- A lot more Falcons fans than should have been and some empty seats which you usually don't see for the first game.

- Way too many short passes from Glennon. If this trend continues, Tarik Cohen will be a dead man.

- Speaking of Cohen, he is the real deal. However good he looked on TV, he looked even better in person.

- Defense played well except for the two busted TE completions. Hicks earned his paycheck today.

- If Glennon can't play much better than this, then they need to switch to Trubisky soon. I give him credit for the last 2 drives, but he has to get the ball down the field. However, see the next item.

- Glad to see Bellamy and Thompson make an impact but hate to see it as well. They shouldn't be in the field but our WR corp sucks. Our running backs and tight ends are going to catch a crap ton of balls this year.

Overall, the team looked much better than last year. After the last 3 seasons, it was great to have something to cheer for at the end of the game.

I agree, when you see Cohen play in person he really stands out as he did against the Cardinals defense in the preseason.

I'll give him credit, Bellamy played well when he came in.

Kevin White has done nothing for us so we are not missing anything other than high hopes/expectations. Bring up Gentry and start getting him ready. This offense really needs at least one WR who is a physical route runner against press coverage and Gentry can provide that. It might take him several weeks before he's ready to hit the field but the sooner we start the sooner we succeed. I like Tre McBride as well but again he's weeks away from knowing the offense.

We can still win with numbers at WR because we have a good running game and we have a good TE group. The bigger problem is Glennon is not a quick release QB, nor is he that accurate. He'll take what the play design gives him and nothing more. With WRs like this we need Trubisky's arm talent, as well as his mobility to extend plays. For now we need to keep Glennon in there and let Trubisky learn.

I thought the defense played great. If not for that huge coverage mistake by Demps late in the game they pretty much shutdown the league's best offense from last year. With almost an entirely new secondary and a rookie FS out there I expected Atlanta's offense to have a big day against us, as did the rest of the universe, and it didn't happen. For week 1 test against one of the league's best offenses I'm pleased with the D.

Great stuff. On your point on Glennon (and downfield), the reality is with this wide receiving corps, its going to be hard to do much anything down field. I hope I'm wrong, but this has to be a historically bad receiving corps.

I might be missing a play or two .but the only downfield throw I can remember in the game was to Cohen every other attempt was underneath or check downs. Kizer is starting for Cleveland and Watson got in to the the game for the Texans.The Texans are much more playoff ready than the Bears and they are playing their rookie QB .Since we are going to be playing the 2nd ,3rd and PS WRs, why not put the guy in who was working with them and now in practice because under 10 yards per pass attempt leaves no room for the run game.