Tarik Cohen's run and the officials

jason

I watched the run and the replay, and I have to say I'm surprised some of you are so upset about the run.

Was it out of bounds? Hard to tell for sure, and even the replay leaves a small amount of doubt (I personally thought he was in).

Having said that, it should have come back anyway. Bellamy clearly held on the play. His initial block and subsequent drive were good, but his left arm definitely hooked the defender and restricted him. That should have been a foul.

Furthermore, the last run by Jordan Howard definitely should have been called back for a hold. That was egregious.

It's nice getting the calls, and its seems like the Bears don't get as many as others (looking at you, Green Bay), but both runs could easily have seen flags.

I watched the run and the replay, and I have to say I'm surprised some of you are so upset about the run.

Was it out of bounds? Hard to tell for sure, and even the replay leaves a small amount of doubt (I personally thought he was in).

Having said that, it should have come back anyway. Bellamy clearly held on the play. His initial block and subsequent drive were good, but his left arm definitely hooked the defender and restricted him. That should have been a foul.

Furthermore, the last run by Jordan Howard definitely should have been called back for a hold. That was egregious.

It's nice getting the calls, and its seems like the Bears don't get as many as others (looking at you, Green Bay), but both runs could easily have seen flags.

Agreed. However, Jordan Howard's fumble earlier in the game should have been overturned.

Peace :dabears

Try this one:

I thought the Thompson holding was worse than Bellamy's as he was at least between the defender and the ball carrier, and the defender fell. Thompson was locked up and had a handful of jersey and Howard actually ran behind the defender compared to Cohen's run on the outside of the Bellamy block. Bellamy's gets called about 50% of the time and Thompson's about 90%. Both should've been called, but I can say Bellamy's is harder to see in full speed.

Agreed. However, Jordan Howard's fumble earlier in the game should have been overturned.

Yeah, and that was a turnover. I can't believe they reviewed and determined he fumbled before his knee was down as it looked like both were down before the defender stripped him.

It all evens out in the wash...except for us. Our net call for and against us is severely tilted in the "against us" category.

I'm still confused why they called Tarik out. The SJ on that side of the field can be seen running behind Tarik after he allegedly stepped out. Had he been ruled out wouldn't the SJ have stopped at the point of the 'out' to mark it? Rather it sounded like an official on the opposite side of the field called him out(?). From what perspective?

I'm still confused why they called Tarik out. The SJ on that side of the field can be seen running behind Tarik after he allegedly stepped out. Had he been ruled out wouldn't the SJ have stopped at the point of the 'out' to mark it? Rather it sounded like an official on the opposite side of the field called him out(?). From what perspective?

From an officiating perspective, the SJ was too close to the play and didn't notice it. He should have been much further in front of it. He looked pretty bad on the play. The official that called Cohen out of bounds would be the trailing official, the DJ. By the time that official made the call, the crowd was likely in such a frenzy that nobody heard it. That's my best guess. Also, as soon as Cohen crosses the GL the announcer mentions he was ruled out.

From an officiating perspective, the SJ was too close to the play and didn't notice it. He should have been much further in front of it. He looked pretty bad on the play. The official that called Cohen out of bounds would be the trailing official, the DJ. By the time that official made the call, the crowd was likely in such a frenzy that nobody heard it. That's my best guess. Also, as soon as Cohen crosses the GL the announcer mentions he was ruled out.

Weird. The SJ was literally parallel to Tarik where he went out. Where would the DJ be positioned at the start of the play? Is he the one in the offensive backfield at the start of the play? I did notice the BJ(?) didn't indicate a TD after Cohen crossed the line and after looking towards the area where Cohen 'may' have gone out.

Jason,

How is the DJ in a better position to make that call 17+ yards away? The SJ is literally 4 feet from Cohen's foot at the 37. Try to look at someone's cleat/shoe in grass 17 yards (51 feet) away, there is no way you can clearly see if the heel or toe are in when the foot is that close. Now compare that to 4 feet away looking directly down at the foot. Also, considering how fast Cohen was running, there is no way you can make that call.

I have watched this over and over and I notice the DJ putting his whistle in his mouth and preparing to call something when Cohen was on the Bears' side of the 50 (maybe the holding) and then is later the one who blew the play dead.

Per the NFL's officiating page, both the DJ and SJ "determine if runner goes out of bounds".

I say bad call, let the replay booth determine that play. No way was that official in a position to make that call from that distance.

Here is the best angle of how close the SJ was to Cohen's foot at the 37:

cohen.PNG

Here is the pic of the DJ blowing the whistle and waving his arms, this is why it was brought back:

whistle.PNG

See the shadow 17 yards away, that is the DJ:

shadow.PNG

Again look at the foot, there is clearly a space between Cohen's foot and the white. How do you see this from 17 yards away from a slight angle (the DJ is not running perfectly down the line).

Also, the DJ didn't make that call immediately after he thought he stepped out. He did not start waving his arms until Cohen had made his cutback and went to the middle of the field.

Weird. The SJ was literally parallel to Tarik where he went out. Where would the DJ be positioned at the start of the play? Is he the one in the offensive backfield at the start of the play? I did notice the BJ(?) didn't indicate a TD after Cohen crossed the line and after looking towards the area where Cohen 'may' have gone out.

Jason,

How is the DJ in a better position to make that call 17+ yards away? The SJ is literally 4 feet from Cohen's foot at the 37. Try to look at someone's cleat/shoe in grass 17 yards (51 feet) away, there is no way you can clearly see if the heel or toe are in when the foot is that close. Now compare that to 4 feet away looking directly down at the foot. Also, considering how fast Cohen was running, there is no way you can make that call.

I have watched this over and over and I notice the DJ putting his whistle in his mouth and preparing to call something when Cohen was on the Bears' side of the 50 (maybe the holding) and then is later the one who blew the play dead.

Per the NFL's officiating page, both the DJ and SJ "determine if runner goes out of bounds".

I say bad call, let the replay booth determine that play. No way was that official in a position to make that call from that distance.

I'll address both with a simple concept that I use in training. Hold your hand just to the side of someone's face. Put a number up and swipe it across. They won't know the number. Do the same from 7-15 yards away, and they'll know the number. The optimum viewing distance on most officiating is anywhere from 7-15 yards away. It gives perspective and everything doesn't feel like a flash. Both are responsible for the sideline, but trust me, there is much better chance of catching it from behind when trailing at a greater distance than someone literally parallel, running full speed, and trying to judge inches between the foot of a world class athlete and a sideline. It's MUCH tougher than you'd imagine.

As for positioning, the DJ (formerly Head Linesman) is positioned on the line of scrimmage, and the SJ is positioned approximately 20yds in advance. The SJ is supposed to keep that cushion from the play so he has proper perspective. Given that these players are world class, the cushion often shrinks to less than 20 yards, which fits perfectly into the optimum viewing distance on the majority of plays. This SJ just screwed up and didn't keep the distance. He probably thought Cohen would get tackled on the edge, so he relaxed. Furthermore, the whistle towards the mouth is anticipatory. He wouldn't have done it for a hold, because that would not have shut the play down. He would, however, have done it for the player about to go out of bounds. Based on what I can tell, the SJ who was close didn't blow it dead. If he did, he wouldn't have continued with the play. The DJ blew it dead. If the SJ blew the whistle, it was to echo the first one.

Last but not least, the BJ in the deep middle of the field didn't signal TD because he couldn't know if Cohen stepped out. They are trained to wait on the sideline officials acknowledgement before making a call. If he looked back, he likely saw the DJ waving his arms to stop the clock, or he heard the whistle.

I'll address both with a simple concept that I use in training. Hold your hand just to the side of someone's face. Put a number up and swipe it across. They won't know the number. Do the same from 7-15 yards away, and they'll know the number. The optimum viewing distance on most officiating is anywhere from 7-15 yards away. It gives perspective and everything doesn't feel like a flash. Both are responsible for the sideline, but trust me, there is much better chance of catching it from behind when trailing at a greater distance than someone literally parallel, running full speed, and trying to judge inches between the foot of a world class athlete and a sideline. It's MUCH tougher than you'd imagine.

As for positioning, the DJ (formerly Head Linesman) is positioned on the line of scrimmage, and the SJ is positioned approximately 20yds in advance. The SJ is supposed to keep that cushion from the play so he has proper perspective. Given that these players are world class, the cushion often shrinks to less than 20 yards, which fits perfectly into the optimum viewing distance on the majority of plays. This SJ just screwed up and didn't keep the distance. He probably thought Cohen would get tackled on the edge, so he relaxed. Furthermore, the whistle towards the mouth is anticipatory. He wouldn't have done it for a hold, because that would not have shut the play down. He would, however, have done it for the player about to go out of bounds. Based on what I can tell, the SJ who was close didn't blow it dead. If he did, he wouldn't have continued with the play. The DJ blew it dead. If the SJ blew the whistle, it was to echo the first one.

Last but not least, the BJ in the deep middle of the field didn't signal TD because he couldn't know if Cohen stepped out. They are trained to wait on the sideline officials acknowledgement before making a call. If he looked back, he likely saw the DJ waving his arms to stop the clock, or he heard the whistle.

Great analysis, Jason. Thank you.

Jason,

Great input, and that all makes sense.

I just don't think anyone is in a better position to see a foot on grass at 17 yards vs 4 feet. I understand the concept of vision at distance and something crossing you is harder to see, but we are talking about seeing a moving foot, in grass, regardless of the angle at two very distinct distances. I just don't see how a guy 51 feet away can even see Cohen's foot when it is in grass from that distance, less determine the exact location of it at the exact time he stepped near the 37 while he running as well. It had to be a blur.

From the replay, the DJ was running at a good speed while the SJ was already in position almost exactly at the point where Cohen's foot was considered out. He was moving nowhere near as fast as the DJ and had a perfect view of Cohen's feet along the sideline.

I completely agree with you that, on most occasions, with this sort of play, the DJ is in the best position to make the call if he maintains an optimal distance from the play. However, I think that he was a little too far to make such an important call when it was not necessary.

My problem with an out of bounds calls is once he calls it dead, the play ends. So the call will always benefit the defense. Maybe the rule needs to change. I feel like unless it is clear that he is out, that you let the play complete, then review. That was way too close, to call him out, and he clearly got it wrong. There are a few new angles out and every one of them shoes Cohen's foot in.

Is everyone forgetting that the play was actually reviewed. The play wasn't whistled dead because if it had there would be no review as the play would be considered dead at that point. They did let the play finish. Then they huddled together before ruling that he stepped out. This play was just way to close to tell with inconclusive evidence to over rule the call on the field. Which is why the play stood as ruled. I'm willing to bet if they had called the play a TD then it would have stood as well

Ok now that we've beat that play to death, what the hell happened on the Cooper f*ck up play? Shouldn't that have been a safety? Although upon further review and considering the end score at regulation we were better with the FG.

Possession changed to the Bears, you can't advance a fumble, and you can't bat the ball in any direction in the end zone (illegal bat). The penalty is a 10-yard penalty, so we got half the distance to the goal line. So they ended up getting it correct.