In defense of Pace

Stinger226

There is a lot of criticism to go around for where we are at,but I think Pace has a plan that is headed in the right direction.

ISSUES:

At QB Glennon was paid good to be a average QB, his pertinacity to commit TOs has derailed the original plan to let Tribusky learn on the beach. Tribusky's time is now

At WR Jeffery didnt want to be here, he took a one year contract instead of a 4 year contract we offered, unless we gave him huge money, he wasnt going to be here.

Jeffery is average 4.2 receptions a game with 50 yards and .05 TDs. That would look good on this team but are not great stats.

White was suppose to take off but instead took off back to IR

Merideth was our best WR and injury derailed his advancement and hurt a great deal.

We signed Wright and Wheaton that was just suppose to be additions but has turned out to be the lead WRs. Not part of the original plan.

The plan started out with good intentions but has blown up due to injuries, not part of the plan.

At RB We have Howard and added Cohen, a very good plan. The addition of Cunningham is a plus also.

At OL We had Long coming back from injury, Sitton, and Whitehair with Kush as backup. That blew up when Kush got hurt , Sitton has a rib injury and Long was delayed getting back.

It was originally a good plan, but again injuries have blown it up. OTs have become serviceable but with the other injuries have the overall look misguided.

At TE With Sims, Miller and Shaheen, I think this is not a weakness for us but still needs to be utilized. I think bad QB play has contributed to this not showing its strength.

AT CB I think the additions have improved our situation. The two that got away, Gilmore and Bouye have not exactly been difference makers for their teams.

At S This was sitting good until the recent injury to Demps, the jury is still out.

At LB This was very solid, Freeman getting hurt, Kwiat getting hurt and with Trevathan being suspended has derailed this strength. Floyd has yet to gel and McPhee is still on the field.

At DL This group has being playing well but still has room for improvement.

Overall, I see his original plan as being good, again injuries have contributed to this not working out.

I thought we would be 3-2 after our first 5 games. We should have beat Falcons and we still can salvage a win against Vikings so all is not bad as it looked after the Packer game.

Lets face it , the future is moving Tribusky along and I think with better QB play we can still be competitive.

Good summary, but the team made several miscalculations.

1. Pace wasted money on Sims. If he loved Shaheen, then that's a perfect backup for Miller. When healthy, Miller is a very good TE.

2. Pace wasted money on Glennon. This can be argued until the cows come home, but it's pretty much a fact now. The team would have been better off signing re-signing Hoyer as a seat-warmer.

3. Pace should have picked up an OT or two if the plan was to go to Mitch at any point in the season. Otherwise, they could let the season implode, and pick an OT in the first round next year to protect Mitch for years to come.

4. Fox & Low-Gains should have been implementing more heavy formations with multiple TEs, given the surplus. The fact that they didn't only got amplified when the WRs started dropping like flies.

Good summary, but the team made several miscalculations. 1. Pace wasted money on Sims. If he loved Shaheen, then that's a perfect backup for Miller. When healthy, Miller is a very good TE. 2. Pace wasted money on Glennon. This can be argued until the cows come home, but it's pretty much a fact now. The team would have been better off signing re-signing Hoyer as a seat-warmer. 3. Pace should have picked up an OT or two if the plan was to go to Mitch at any point in the season. Otherwise, they could let the season implode, and pick an OT in the first round next year to protect Mitch for years to come. 4. Fox & Low-Gains should have been implementing more heavy formations with multiple TEs, given the surplus. The fact that they didn't only got amplified when the WRs started dropping like flies.

I am still good with the Sims signing. He is more the blocking TE anyways.

I was on the keep Hoyer bandwagon. Thought he would help make a smooth transition grooming a rookie QB

When was the last time we invested early in a OT? Gabe Carimi and Chris Williams, guess we cant do that right either.

I suppose when you trail early, they ditch the game plan to try and catch up with more of a spread.

Pace is going high risk/high reward it seems.

QB - Took a shot on Glennon, overpaid, and it didn't work. Traded up to get Trubisky, and he will hopefully nail this pick. If Trubisky works out as a Franchise QB, the Glennon miss doesn't matter. Now Pace is all in with Trubisky.

RB - Nailed Howard and Cohen, though we really lack a true #2 like we had with Langford/Carey. Also released Forte and that timing was spot on. Cohen has been insanely good and as long as he gets his touches, he could push for OROY consideration.

WR - Misjudged Jeffery's value and put all his chips on the table with White/Meredith who both got hurt (risky move). I think he missed here. Pryor was an option with a comparable cap hit to Sims. I would've liked to have seen Pryor instead of Sims, especially with the loss of Jeffery. Wright/Wheaton are WR3's.

TE - Overpaid for a blocking TE, probably hoped Sims would transition to a well-rounded TE like Bennett did, but he hasn't. Can't pay that much for a TE to block. Shaheen pick is fine, but we need to at least use him as a decoy, and his blocking seems pretty solid at this point.

OL - I am ok where we are at, but you can't go into the season and extend Leno who was bad, and keep Massie who was terrible as the bookend OT's. Interior is solid to great when healthy, but I think Pace missed on OT. Leno should be on right, Massie as backup with a top tier LT that we lack.

DL - Looked good in preseason, but outside of Hicks, not much going on here. Underwhelming to this point

LB - Injuries and no suspension kill the interior, and I am still waiting for Floyd to show up. He makes 1-2 plays a game. We need him making 8-9 impact plays a game.

DB - I have been pleasantly surprised with Fuller (after we don't give him his 5th year option)-which may hinder our ability to sign him. Prince and Cooper have been better than we've had and if Cooper runs that TD in, I think everyone has a different perspective on him. We still can't solve the crossing routes or picks. We never cover those properly. Even with Demps out, Amos has filled in nicely, so there has been little drop off from a starter. Jackson has played awesome as a rookie, and if he can get a couple of INT's or FF's, he should be in the running for DROY.

Overall the team is better, and I think Trubisky will breathe some life into this team and fire some guys up.

Good summary, but the team made several miscalculations.

1. Pace wasted money on Sims. If he loved Shaheen, then that's a perfect backup for Miller. When healthy, Miller is a very good TE.

2. Pace wasted money on Glennon. This can be argued until the cows come home, but it's pretty much a fact now. The team would have been better off signing re-signing Hoyer as a seat-warmer.

3. Pace should have picked up an OT or two if the plan was to go to Mitch at any point in the season. Otherwise, they could let the season implode, and pick an OT in the first round next year to protect Mitch for years to come.

4. Fox & Low-Gains should have been implementing more heavy formations with multiple TEs, given the surplus. The fact that they didn't only got amplified when the WRs started dropping like flies.

For your wasted money on Sims comment: I think with the poor QB play, Sims will have a uptick with Trib. I think he added two TEs on the fact Miller has not been healthy for the last two years, so going forward he has the position covered.

For your Glennon comment: He didnt scout him right. He was suppose to be a QB sabby pocket passers. Come to find out, we all knew he wasnt athletic but he is slow in his reads and decision making, he screwed up on this FA. Actually the money doesnt matter, it is basically a one year deal. 3.5 to walk away next year.

I agree he should have got a OT but so far the OTs have been playing decent. Some of the problems with sacks and timing is the ginger giraffe takes to long to release the ball. For example the fumble in the TB game where Massie was riding his guy to the outside and Glennon goes back instead of moving up in the pocket. Miller was open that he should have released the ball quickly, instead he goes back and gets sacked and fumbled.

There wasnt much to grab in FAs at LT but old rejects. He made an offer to Wagner but didnt go the extra 2 mil. (he should have)

I think the injuries we have sustained has derailed the offense and then add the ginger girraffe and it hasnt found much rhythm.I think Trib changes that .

I like to follow @tenyardline on Twitter for bears content and on there it's being reported that Benjamin Albright confirms that it was the players who forced the change to trubisky. That speaks volumes of how pissed the players have been. Even pointed out that in last 2 weeks the opposition has started drives inside bears territory due to Glennon mistakes. That's enough to piss off the defense as well as the offense. Good luck to Glennon getting another job after this one