Playcalling

bowlingtwig

Since I obviously had way to much time on my hands just sitting around I decided to dissect the numbers on the much talked about playcalling. It is all over the board. Take a look for yourselves.

Wk 1) drop back 44 times compared to 19 rushes

Wk 2) drop back 46 times compared to 20 rushes

Wk 3) drop back 24 times compared to 38 rushes

Wk 4) drop back 34 times compared to 30 rushes

Wk 5) drop back 27 times compared to 29 rushes

Wk 6) drop back 21 times compared to 54 rushes

Wk 7) drop back 11 times compared to 26 rushes

In Glennon's 4 games he dropped back 148 times and we ran the ball 107 times. So the ratio was 58/42 pass

In Trubisky's 3 games he has dropped back just 59 times compared to a whopping 109 rushes. The ratio there is a staggering 35/65 rushing.

When doing this you do see a trend. In games we run the ball more we are 3-1 but 0-3 when we throw the ball more. Which doesn't really come as much surprise considering the strength of the offense is in the 2 headed monster at RB. Whereas the WR corps is probably 1 of the worst I have ever seen. So we should come out running the ball since that is where we excel at. However over the last 2 weeks we have only thrown the ball 28% of the time. That has got to be a major red flag. I can't imagine this can be sustained much more than a couple of weeks. I certainly don't want to see Trubisky come out slinging the ball 35-40 times a game. But he should be throwing the ball more than 10 times you would think.

The other thing is if I spent the little bit of time putting this together you know our opponents have dissected it even further than I just did and they will know to just throw 9 or 10 in to the box and stop the run knowing that we aren't even attempting to throw much.

Since I obviously had way to much time on my hands just sitting around I decided to dissect the numbers on the much talked about playcalling. It is all over the board. Take a look for yourselves.

In Glennon's 4 games he dropped back 148 times and we ran the ball 107 times. So the ratio was 58/42 pass

In Trubisky's 3 games he has dropped back just 59 times compared to a whopping 109 rushes. The ratio there is a staggering 35/65 rushing.

When doing this you do see a trend. In games we run the ball more we are 3-1 but 0-3 when we throw the ball more. Which doesn't really come as much surprise considering the strength of the offense is in the 2 headed monster at RB. Whereas the WR corps is probably 1 of the worst I have ever seen. So we should come out running the ball since that is where we excel at. However over the last 2 weeks we have only thrown the ball 28% of the time. That has got to be a major red flag. I can't imagine this can be sustained much more than a couple of weeks. I certainly don't want to see Trubisky come out slinging the ball 35-40 times a game. But he should be throwing the ball more than 10 times you would think.

The other thing is if I spent the little bit of time putting this together you know our opponents have dissected it even further than I just did and they will know to just throw 9 or 10 in to the box and stop the run knowing that we aren't even attempting to throw much.

Trubisky has a ways to go figuring out the offense and reading defenses. It is surprising that we don't see him hitting the quick short passes that Glennon was doing, and Hoyer, and Barkley before. I suspect he's reading the field deep to short but behind an Oline and with a WR corps that aren't setup for that it spells trouble. Part of that could be his desire to avoid INT's by staying away from short throws in traffic, aka the quick timing routes. Whatever it is, it needs to change soon so we can have some offense.

Trubisky has a ways to go figuring out the offense and reading defenses. It is surprising that we don't see him hitting the quick short passes that Glennon was doing, and Hoyer, and Barkley before. I suspect he's reading the field deep to short but behind an Oline and with a WR corps that aren't setup for that it spells trouble. Part of that could be his desire to avoid INT's by staying away from short throws in traffic, aka the quick timing routes. Whatever it is, it needs to change soon so we can have some offense.

Was watching a post game interview with Mitchell {

} and gotta say this kid is growing on me. You can tell that he’s learning and even admitted to wanting to have more passes but instead ‘chose to take the sacks’ rather than do something risky (ala Cutler). He recognizes his own shortcomings but there is no question Loggains and the o-line are not holding up their end of the deal. I am still confounded why, despite their saying they’d do since Cutler, the offense has hardly used the zone scheme with bootlegs and roll outs. That was easily Cutlers strength and based on how well he did with Minnesota, Trubisky too. Why are we keeping this guy immobile? Makes no sense.

One thing I have noticed on a few of Mitchell’s longer throws (20+ yards) is that he has a tendency to float them. He did it last game against Baltimore and again this game a few times. Fortunately they were out patterns or outside shoulder so they go out of bounds but I have seen him do it once or twice on skinny posts and seam routes in the middle. Those can be dangerous. I noticed in this interview that he noted on the long pass to Cohen the safety was busy with Sims so that in and of itself is encouraging. He’s obviously learning plenty. And very humble about it.

My take on the low pass attempts is we had a decent lead and handcuffing the risks gave us a victory. They even handcuffed Cohen running the ball or late punts. If Carolina scored, I think they would have changed the plan a little. This is Fox going for wins. We all want to see Trubisky unleashed for development, but these lessons he is gaining now can be the hardest to swallow. He is learning that you can win by not turning the ball over when you have a lead. I don't think the D will keep the Saints bottled up next week, so we will see his attempts probably in the mid 20s.

I didn't watch the Baltimore game, but when I saw the stats I thought, "Excellent. Run it a lot."

Honestly, this is how the team should be playing. Run, Defense, and minimal passing.

Funny...wasn’t this the recipe Lovie Smith ran with? ?

It was, with a veteran QB. This is a rookie QB. There's a difference.

The wetter his feet get, the more I expect them to start passing, and eventually turn the ratio around. The Bears didn't move up to #2 and draft a QB only to have him throw 10-15 times a game. Trubisky was drafted to lead a franchise into the 21st century, one where passing rules. If they don't adjust the ratio eventually - I'm expecting a big shift in year 2 - then the draft pick was even worse than I thought.