Looking back at the 2017 draft at this point in the season

Stinger226

Pace has taken a lot of heat by his overall draft:

Trubisky, I dont think many will complain about actually taking MT its the trading up the one spot that deserves criticism

Shaneen has yet to produce but being a 2nd round pick , you expect more this spot in the draft.

Cohen and Jackson were taken in the fourth being we gave away our 3 rd pick. Great choices

Mogan got drafted in the 5th with the jury still out on but looks like a potential future starter.

Re doing the draft with out the trade

#1 Still take MT but with the third pick. ( He looks like a potential franchise QB that we had to address in this draft) We could have later taken Watson but to properly judge this pick we have to wait to year 3.

#2 In the second round the only OL available worthy of that pick is OG Forrest Lamp which was lost for the season early.

The other best selections were D. Cook/RB ( with Howard we were not drafting a RB here) and is on IR

M. Maye/S (they could have taken the safety but appeared to be set on drafting Jackson later in the draft) they now have one of the best FSs in the draft getting in the 4th round.

Z. Cunningham/MLB ( with Freeman, Trevathan and Nick K) I didnt see us drafting a MLB this high

D. Thomalson/DT ( starting for the Giants and has played well) With Goldman and Hicks,Bullard ascending probably not on the radar to draft here.

J.J. Smith- Shuster ( looks like a good pick going forward was average until his last game) With the WRs we had in place I did not see us drafting a WR this high. In hindsight

knowing all of the injuries we had would have been a good pick but probably not playing that will with our QB situation

Adam Shaheen with Miller almost done and Sims being primary a blocking TE, I can understand this pick.

#3 This is a round we traded but would have been a few good players at this point:

K. Hunt ( we could have drafted him instead of Cohen in the fourth but before the season Hunt was probably not on our radar) we still had Howard

Copper Kupp ( with the injuries to our team would have probably been a good selection ) Has played average but has a bright future

the only OT drafted in this round went on IR early Antonio Garcia

Pat Ellifin/OC didnt see us drafting him with Whitehair in place

Jordon Willis/OLB has had some moments as a rookie but has not been consistent (potenial draft choice at this spot in draft)

Cordrea Tankersley/CB is starting but has been very average

I think being we only would have had one 4th round pick we probably would have pulled the trigger on Jackson here

#4 If we have drafted Jackson in our original third the only worthy pick other than Cohen at this point was Pass rusher Carl Lawson with 4.5 sacks at this stage

#5 We drafted Morgan here of which the jury is still out .The other few players that has stood out.

Aaron Jones/RB

Jake Elliott /K

George Kittle/TE

No OL or WR worth anything taken in this round

#6 No one of note at this time

#7 No one of note at this time

I think we'd have seen a WR in Rd 3 with Kupp a likely choice. His route running skills would be welcome among this group of WRs.

Last year all the chatter was that 2018 QBs were a great group. I didn't see it except perhaps for Darnold. Now even Darnold has come back down to earth plus the rumor is he's staying in college. I still don't like Rosen (as a leader or passer) and Josh Allen still looks like a project. Apparently the 49ers now agree having traded for JimmyG. That also means the 49ers will want to trade back in the draft but other teams may have the same QB assessment and won't pay the price.

I don't think Cleveland's front office will survive the miss on Watson. Remember they traded back from #12 with Houston to let them draft Watson. Anyone who has watched Kizer for two quarters knows he is showing the same limitations and accuracy issues he had in college.

I think we'd have seen a WR in Rd 3 with Kupp a likely choice. His route running skills would be welcome among this group of WRs.

Last year all the chatter was that 2018 QBs were a great group. I didn't see it except perhaps for Darnold. Now even Darnold has come back down to earth plus the rumor is he's staying in college. I still don't like Rosen (as a leader or passer) and Josh Allen still looks like a project. Apparently the 49ers now agree having traded for JimmyG. That also means the 49ers will want to trade back in the draft but other teams may have the same QB assessment and won't pay the price.

I don't think Cleveland's front office will survive the miss on Watson. Remember they traded back from #12 with Houston to let them draft Watson. Anyone who has watched Kizer for two quarters knows he is showing the same limitations and accuracy issues he had in college.

Interesting...the Browns acquired Aj McCarron but the paperwork didn't get into the league offices in time, so no deal.

Interesting...the Browns acquired Aj McCarron but the paperwork didn't get into the league offices in time, so no deal.

Ha, after looking like idiots missing out on JimmyG for just a 2nd Rd pick they decided to do something to at least look like they care and they still screw it up.