Lions (5-2) at Bears (3-6)

adam

Big time drive by Trubisky. It's too bad the Bears still think Connor Barth is an NFL kicker.

Yeah Trubisky should’ve run out and kicked Barth right in the sack and said ‘that’s how you kick it!’

Trub had a really decent day despite that turnover early on. Great learning game. Looked crisp and less hesitant. Liked what I saw.

Great job by trubisky to put us in a position to tie it up. It definitely sucks that Barth who was very good last week couldn't keep it going. Another game we "should" have won. Spielman was a great analyst today pointed out how we are a team full of"should" players. Meaning our players are coming very close to making big plays that sl"should" be made. Unfortunately they haven't learned how to those plays into made plays.

Seeing big time improvement though from trubisky and loggains found away to get Cohen into the game unlike last week.

Didn't watch it, don't really care. But the ending is perfect.

1. Bears were close

2. Barth not a legit kicker

3. WRs need work

4. OL forced Trubisky to run a few times (according to radio)

5. Trubisky leads 2:00 drive

6. Loss secures the draft position

7. Loss moves closer to firing Fox

Barfing here. But Biscuit did his part. I like this kid. And his number 10 was one of my favorites, Bobby D. Yes, they lost, but Biscuit gained some great experience. Now,the D........

Yeah I agree. I'm really proud to see the development of Trubisky. I picked up his jersey last week at the game. Now I can't wait to see him turn in even better performances

I haven’t been happy with the coaching staff recently but this loss is on Barth they put him in position to make the kick and it wasn’t even close.

I know there is probably no one on the streets better but you have got to make a statement to the roster.

Barth is cut and you move on with another kicker.

Well they did have Santos in for a tryout this week I wonder if the bears move on now

I haven’t been happy with the coaching staff recently but this loss is on Barth they put him in position to make the kick and it wasn’t even close.

I know there is probably no one on the streets better but you have got to make a statement to the roster.

Barth is cut and you move on with another kicker.

They brought in Santos last week but I still don't think he is healthy enough. I would take him at 75% over Barth right now so I say go ahead and sign him.

Peace :dabears

1. Bears were close

3. WRs need work

Spot on

1. Bears were close

3. WRs need work

ee

Sadly, must agree. We need Wrs, OL (always), DL (always) and a new minid-set with coaching. Get a head coac. PLEASE, Mckaskeys,get a frickin head coach that can kick the can forward, romp the puckers and the rest of the division. Then, win the frikin SB.

1. Bears were close

3. WRs need work

Agreed 100%

Peace :dabears

Well they did have Santos in for a tryout this week I wonder if the bears move on now

I think that fact was completely missed or ignored by the fans here. As I said before there is nothing that shows the Bears are satisfied with Barth or consider him a long term option as our K. Bringing in Santos Thursday showed that and the pressure didn't improve Barth's performance today. I expect to see Santos wearing a Bears uniform within 2 weeks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/...its-with-bears/

Quick notes from the game.

Hicks must be hurting pretty bad. He was facing double teams most of the game but clearly is not 100%. He's a warrior and our leader on defense.

Nothing today changed my thoughts that OLB is our top need heading into next season. Irving showed some flashes of good play in the preseason and now we'll find out if he can do anything in a real game. Expect to see more of RRH on the edge on early downs.

McPhee might be the energizer of the defense, Hicks the leader, but Trevathan is the piece the makes it all work together. We need him back on the field.

Marcus Cooper played like Marcus Cooper but I have no problem with coaches lighting a fire under Fuller. I'd like to see Callahan back on the field but today LeBlanc was a capable backup.

On offense it is clear what a difference Kyle Long makes. He get criticized a lot from fans this year but he's playing through a lot of injuries. We'll get him right this offseason. Still love the guy despite his late hit penalty. He was looking away from the play so if the whistles aren't being blown how does he know?

Saw signs of why we drafted Shaheen early, both in blocking and receiving. He's going to be a tough matchup next year after a full offseason with an NFL training program.

This year is all about developing a rookie QB and again this week I see progress. He still makes errant throws with poor mechanics and you can tell he's reading things slowly at times. Hopefully as his mind catches up to speed of play he'll keep his feet under him more consistently. Overall he is starting to play quicker. Most remarkable through his first six games is that with all the new things he's trying to keep up with he's been pretty good at protecting the ball. Meanwhile Cutler threw 3 INTs today. Given all the obvious plays he's missing it's easy to see how over the next year or two Trubisky's completion % will improve quite a bit. His last two games he's completed 60%, a clear step up from his first few games.

Hicks must be hurting pretty bad. He was facing double teams most of the game but clearly is not 100%. He's a warrior and our leader on defense.

Nothing today changed my thoughts that OLB is our top need heading into next season. Irving showed some flashes of good play in the preseason and now we'll find out if he can do anything in a real game. Expect to see more of RRH on the edge on early downs.

McPhee might be the energizer of the defense, Hicks the leader, but Trevathan is the piece the makes it all work together. We need him back on the field.

Marcus Cooper played like Marcus Cooper but I have no problem with coaches lighting a fire under Fuller. I'd like to see Callahan back on the field but today LeBlanc was a capable backup.

On offense it is clear what a difference Kyle Long makes. He get criticized a lot from fans this year but he's playing through a lot of injuries. We'll get him right this offseason. Still love the guy despite his late hit penalty. He was looking away from the play so if the whistles aren't being blown how does he know?

Saw signs of why we drafted Shaheen early, both in blocking and receiving. He's going to be a tough matchup next year after a full offseason with an NFL training program.

This year is all about developing a rookie QB and again this week I see progress. He still makes errant throws with poor mechanics and you can tell he's reading things slowly at times. Hopefully as his mind catches up to speed of play he'll keep his feet under him more consistently. Overall he is starting to play quicker. Most remarkable through his first six games is that with all the new things he's trying to keep up with he's been pretty good at protecting the ball. Meanwhile Cutler threw 3 INTs today. Given all the obvious plays he's missing it's easy to see how over the next year or two Trubisky's completion % will improve quite a bit. His last two games he's completed 60%, a clear step up from his first few games.

Love your notes.

Just want to point out two rookie QBs we discussed pre-draft had a rough day. Nate Peterman with 5 Ints and Kizer with 2 and a fumble. I was big on Kizer and I am glad I was wrong on him. The Bears are doing a great job keeping Trubisky reined in so he can develop and hopefully in a year or two the pain of losing will turn into years of dominance.

Yup.

Maybe add...

8. Shaheen show serious positive signs. Could be building something here...

1. Bears were close

3. WRs need work

Good stuff...

I would like to add, the problem with this team no matter who you want to blame for it, injuries has derailed the potential to be a better team. When we have our starting 5 on the Oline we actually have some reliable positive offensive plays. IF the front 7 is getting pressure, the back of the defense looks pretty good.

We have some building blocks, ignore how we got them, but going forward, Goldman, Hicks, Floyd, Bullard, Kwiat, Trevathan, Amos, Jackson, Callahan on defense.

On offense Howard, Cohen, Whitehair, Trubisky, Shaheen, Long and Meredith.

Where the problem comes in is anytime we dont have most of them on the field our odds at winning is in doubt. We have so little margin for error. Then add the pitfalls of having Fox as head coach and what we have is just like yesterday, a close loss.

At this point I would have to give Pace a C-. As much I see a core being established, I then have to watch Barth kick, Grasu still on the roster, resigning Leno to a new contact, and Glennon on the bench. I totally believe we needed to give this team an extra year to develop because the shape of the roster was the worst in the league when they took over. This is the year we at least needed to rise to a 8-8 record or even better.

Its apparent its not going to happen, probably more to injuries than the ineptness of the coaching staff.

You add it all up , we have as many questions as we do answers.

I think when Fox became available the powers that be suggested Pace take him because of his lack of experience at the GM position, so this is what we have.

I think with a new coach handpicked by Pace, and the futher progess of Trubisky, we can see the sun rising in the distance, it just seems pretty dark right now.

Yeah I agree. I'm really proud to see the development of Trubisky. I picked up his jersey last week at the game. Now I can't wait to see him turn in even better performances

I'm with you. This was actually a pretty enjoyable game (outside of the Floyd injury). We got the loss, but played extremely competitive and lost because our kicker (who will not be around next year) stinks to a solid team. I'm okay with that because Trubisky looked like he is legitimately making progress. I saw a QB read the field more, I saw a QB get rid of the ball sooner (and not take the sack). In fact, I saw a QB who started to look downfield when scrambling (something he didn't do much of until this week). I still saw a QB who got flustered with a bit of pass rush (where he didn't set his feet and because of it, left some plays on the field), but I also saw a QB who used his mobility to his advantage and at times was very aggressive and assertive throwing strikes. Oh and he showed moxy on that final drive.

Defensively I see a lot of people knocking Bears and yes the Lions scored, but take away that defensive TD (on a bad fumble) and they didn't give up that many points (take note that since week 6 Stafford was averaging more yards per game then any QB in the league...Lions have a good offense).

We also saw Shaheen make some more plays (which was great to see). Really sucks Floyd got hurt...hoping somehow it isn't as bad as it looked.

I think that fact was completely missed or ignored by the fans here. As I said before there is nothing that shows the Bears are satisfied with Barth or consider him a long term option as our K. Bringing in Santos Thursday showed that and the pressure didn't improve Barth's performance today. I expect to see Santos wearing a Bears uniform within 2 weeks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/...its-with-bears/

Santos has visited quite a few teams. I presume he isn't quite 100% but I also am going to guess he's going to have his pick of clubs...hopefully Bears can get him. I had read that Santos wanted to be careful that he didn't come back too soon. He's a pending free agent so the last thing he wants to do is come back too early, miss a handful of kicks, and lose out on a payday. If I'm the Bears, I know he's good and just give him the payday now.

I'm with you. This was actually a pretty enjoyable game (outside of the Floyd injury). We got the loss, but played extremely competitive and lost because our kicker (who will not be around next year) stinks to a solid team. I'm okay with that because Trubisky looked like he is legitimately making progress. I saw a QB read the field more, I saw a QB get rid of the ball sooner (and not take the sack). In fact, I saw a QB who started to look downfield when scrambling (something he didn't do much of until this week). I still saw a QB who got flustered with a bit of pass rush (where he didn't set his feet and because of it, left some plays on the field), but I also saw a QB who used his mobility to his advantage and at times was very aggressive and assertive throwing strikes. Oh and he showed moxy on that final drive.

Defensively I see a lot of people knocking Bears and yes the Lions scored, but take away that defensive TD (on a bad fumble) and they didn't give up that many points (take note that since week 6 Stafford was averaging more yards per game then any QB in the league...Lions have a good offense).

We also saw Shaheen make some more plays (which was great to see). Really sucks Floyd got hurt...hoping somehow it isn't as bad as it looked.

Spot on optimistic review. Well said.

I would like to add, the problem with this team no matter who you want to blame for it, injuries has derailed the potential to be a better team. When we have our starting 5 on the Oline we actually have some reliable positive offensive plays. IF the front 7 is getting pressure, the back of the defense looks pretty good.

We have some building blocks, ignore how we got them, but going forward, Goldman, Hicks, Floyd, Bullard, Kwiat, Trevathan, Amos, Jackson, Callahan on defense.

On offense Howard, Cohen, Whitehair, Trubisky, Shaheen, Long and Meredith.

Where the problem comes in is anytime we dont have most of them on the field our odds at winning is in doubt. We have so little margin for error. Then add the pitfalls of having Fox as head coach and what we have is just like yesterday, a close loss.

At this point I would have to give Pace a C-. As much I see a core being established, I then have to watch Barth kick, Grasu still on the roster, resigning Leno to a new contact, and Glennon on the bench. I totally believe we needed to give this team an extra year to develop because the shape of the roster was the worst in the league when they took over. This is the year we at least needed to rise to a 8-8 record or even better.

Its apparent its not going to happen, probably more to injuries than the ineptness of the coaching staff.

You add it all up , we have as many questions as we do answers.

I think when Fox became available the powers that be suggested Pace take him because of his lack of experience at the GM position, so this is what we have.

I think with a new coach handpicked by Pace, and the futher progess of Trubisky, we can see the sun rising in the distance, it just seems pretty dark right now.

Pace and Fox knew Trubisky needed time to learn the game. Glennon, didn't give it to them. People have been all over Fox and Loggains because fans think they can't develop the QB. Trubisky had and still has shortcomings but he's clearly improved in 6 weeks. Somebody helped him get there. We're still waiting for the game where we know we got a good QB but I think it's on the horizon now. As Stinger said it's clear we have quite a few pieces of the future on the roster now. We look a lot like the 2014 Raiders and in some ways like the Eagles of last year: big concerns at WR, concerns in teh secondary. With the exception they have better players at both OT spots.

Pace and Fox knew Trubisky needed time to learn the game. Glennon, didn't give it to them. People have been all over Fox and Loggains because fans think they can't develop the QB. Trubisky had and still has shortcomings but he's clearly improved in 6 weeks. Somebody helped him get there. We're still waiting for the game where we know we got a good QB but I think it's on the horizon now. As Stinger said it's clear we have quite a few pieces of the future on the roster now. We look a lot like the 2014 Raiders and in some ways like the Eagles of last year: big concerns at WR, concerns in teh secondary. With the exception they have better players at both OT spots.

As much as I want someone magical to come in and transform the Bears into a juggernaut, I respect how Trubisky is slowly coming around. One key component to success is stability. This is a huge year for Pace to decide the fate of the coaching staff, keep it intact or blow it up.