Bears at Eagles Game Thread

adam

I listen to ESPN 1000 (Chicago) regularly from the UK and they regularly say Ryan Pace didn’t want John Fox. Now Ryan you need to make sure you identify the right coaching staff to develop Trubisky and you make the right selections in the draft and free agency because in the 4th year the minimum standard needs to be making the playoffs.

I know the NFC North is a good division but the time has come to start winning.

Trubisky has a lot of questionable throws today. If not over their heads he threw way behind the receivers in a large percentage of passes. Still needing lots of work.

Yeah, I am now having some concerns about him. I was thinking it was the receivers and the O-line, but he is just making bad throws. He looked worse than Glennon today and should've had 5 INTs. I am very concerned.

Watson was the pick at #3, if Trubisky doesn't pan out, we are looking at an even longer run in mediocrity.

What is the downside to firing John Fox right now, Bears brass? Seriously. He's gone at the end of the year anyway, why wouldn't you just get it over with now and give Fangio a trial run as HC for these last 5 games to see what kind of response he can draw from the team? And if they want to try out a new play caller, too, why not?

What is the downside to firing John Fox right now, Bears brass? Seriously. He's gone at the end of the year anyway, why wouldn't you just get it over with now and give Fangio a trial run as HC for these last 5 games to see what kind of response he can draw from the team? And if they want to try out a new play caller, too, why not?

If they are considering Fangio for the HC spot then it’s a no brainer.

I’ll say this I’m about at the end of my rope.

Fire him and make Fangio interim coach for the rest of the year.

Peace :dabears

It is the only sensible thing to do at this point. There's literally no downside to making the move now as opposed to waiting till the end of the year when the decision has already been made about Fox. In fact, there could be something to be gained from making it now because you get to see what kind of HC Vic Fangio could potentially be during these last 5 games. At least then you won't have to feel bad if he were to end up a HC somewhere else and succeed.

Then again, this is the Bears we are talking about, and they rarely do sensible things when it comes to the management of the team.

Horrible game. Nobody showed up ready to compete. Eddie Jackson is killing this defense. Can't get in his gaps, can't tackle, can't cover, late to arrive for help on a deep passes. Missing Trevathan doesn't help things either but with Timu out there Jones again looks ok, except his blocking on punts was horrible.

I see complaints about Hicks (Dline in general) but he's a gamer playing through his injury. We can't fault his effort.

For those who don't appreciate how well Floyd holds up as an edge defender it should be clear after watching Irving get pushed around like a rag doll today. On the flip side Acho came to play today and he did well. Acho isn't starter quality as a player but he stepped up today.

Oline didn't show up today, really nobody on offense did including Trubisky. They were beaten before they finished stretching.

I'm fine if Fox goes or stays. Fangio needs kept. Jay Cutler's OC best buddy needs to leave. Pace needs to go for depleting this team of talent more than Emery and Angelo.

Pace has put more talent on this roster than anything Emery did. Keep in mind Emery is about the lowest bar possible. Angelo, despite the complaints about him, did build a team that got to the Superbowl. Time will tell but Pace may have found the best piece for an NFL team in Trubisky. It's going to take time for him to improve his fundamentals and knowledge of the game.

Wentz wasn't spectacular today, not IMO. Unless you missed his poor passes when he had time in the pocket. He made some great plays with his feet but other than that he looked like a good, but not great, QB. His team, especially the defense dominated.

I am starting to have my doubts about Ryan Pace and whether Phil Emery was actually that bad.

If the roster under Pace was starting to show could improvement mainly in wins I would be happy but we might be looking at 6-10, 3-13 and 5-10 (if we split the rest of this seasons games). Whereas we had 10-6, 8-8 and 5-11 under Emery.

I was happy to blow up the roster and under stood it would take a couple of years to improve but if you cut a player the next players needs to be better or you are just making a change with no benefit to the team.

If the new players are better I can’t work work after 3 years why this team isn’t better in the win lose record than Emery’s last seasons 5-11.

I am not interested in having losses to get a better draft pick we need to win as many games as possible. For me to be happy at the end of the season from this point I want use to have a 8-8 season i.e win out from this point. If you can identify talent it doesn’t matter if you pick at No.1 or No. 15 in the draft and anyway the draft at best is a lottery anyway.

If picking height in the draft is so good why is Cleveland historically poor..

I am starting to have my doubts about Ryan Pace and whether Phil Emery was actually that bad.

If the roster under Pace was starting to show could improvement mainly in wins I would be happy but we might be looking at 6-10, 3-13 and 5-10 (if we split the rest of this seasons games). Whereas we had 10-6, 8-8 and 5-11 under Emery.

I was happy to blow up the roster and under stood it would take a couple of years to improve but if you cut a player the next players needs to be better or you are just making a change with no benefit to the team.

If the new players are better I can’t work work after 3 years why this team isn’t better in the win lose record than Emery’s last seasons 5-11.

I am not interested in having losses to get a better draft pick we need to win as many games as possible. For me to be happy at the end of the season from this point I want use to have a 8-8 season i.e win out from this point. If you can identify talent it doesn’t matter if you pick at No.1 or No. 15 in the draft and anyway the draft at best is a lottery anyway.

If picking height in the draft is so good why is Cleveland historically poor..

We think the season is going to be inspiring for our future and we end up with diarrhea. Its sad but we cant wallow around in misery so here we go.

upside:

We think we may have a franchise type QB so the most important activity in the off season is to find a QB friendly coach. Pay attention to PHIL and LA and you may see our future.

The Oline next year needs a stud OT added by the draft. You only find them in the first round. Lets say Leno plays LT next year then Sitton-Long- Whitehair stay healthy for a change. We need a guy that can play RT for a year or two and then be our LT for the future. Next year Kush and Morgan will be backing up the middle so the OLine should have a healthier outlook.

We need a potential #1 WR, you can find them in the draft outside of the first round, but we need to add one by draft and 2 by FAgency. Many to choose from there. Inmam and Merideth will be a start but need much more.

We are set at RB with Howard, Cohen and Cunningham, done.

At TE we have Sims and Shaheen going forward so I think that will be a decent start.

We need a OLB to complement Floyd who looks like he may be a good one. Being we need a OT either 1st or second round and a OLB with the other pick. Since we will have a high pick hopefully can trade back and get them later in the first round.

I think the Dline will be good with Hicks, Goldman, Bullard, RRH with Unrein thrown in.

I think we need to add in the D backfield, Amos and Jackson could be a good duo going forward but are not there yet. We need to add a CB any way we can get one.

We have some building blocks but bringing in a solid coaching choose is a priority and then we live or die with Tribisky.

Trubisky's accuracy and footwork are out of whack. Need a real coach to come in and teach him the right way to do things.

He's not ready. He isn't reading defenses quickly/comfortably enough and with that his timing isn't right and therefor his footwork won't be right. He needs to put in a lot of work, but none of this should be a surprise. Look at film of Goff last year vs. this year. Reality was Goff wasn't ready to play last year, got out early, really struggled because he wasn't ready to read NFL defenses / be in an NFL offense. This actually ups the learning curve because they haven't read and reacted much in their college career their entire timing is impacted so it isn't just the fact that they can't read defenses yet its also that they haven't had to do that stuff so timing and inherently footwork are messed up (compounding the problem and making them look even worse).

This team looks absolutely broken - simply embarrassing.

This match-up was bad for the Bears. Our D is very banged up (no Floyd / no Trevathan / no Freeman...essentially 3/4th's of our starting LB corps and some of our better playmakers) and we are going against a very dynamic and well balanced offense. Our offense was also going up against the top run D in the league and given our style of offense we couldn't be in a worse position. I expected us to get throttled and we did. The penalties and how we shot ourselves in the foot were just brutal though. Eagles are an outstanding football team.

This match-up was bad for the Bears. Our D is very banged up (no Floyd / no Trevathan / no Freeman...essentially 3/4th's of our starting LB corps and some of our better playmakers) and we are going against a very dynamic and well balanced offense. Our offense was also going up against the top run D in the league and given our style of offense we couldn't be in a worse position. I expected us to get throttled and we did. The penalties and how we shot ourselves in the foot were just brutal though. Eagles are an outstanding football team.

I knew we were going to get crushed but we looked absolutely horrendous on the field. The loss doesn't bother me. Looking like you don't belong on the field does.

I knew we were going to get crushed but we looked absolutely horrendous on the field. The loss doesn't bother me. Looking like you don't belong on the field does.

The penalties were brutal. Our offense is bad. We have one of, if not the worst QB in the league. Please note that I'm not saying Trubisky sucks...but from a current production perspective, he sucks, and that is how you evaluate current wins/losses and how good you should be. Our offense is extremely one-dimensional and before we even debate scheme and if Loggains is good (or bad), we have a banged up oline, one of the worse QB's in the league, and the worst receiving corps in the league. When you add those things up, no scheme in the world is going to unmask/make good that potential. We do have an excellent starting RB (even being so one-dimensional) but against the Eagles that was a hard thing to do (top run unit in the league against a solid rushing attack (thanks to Howard who is a beast) but one-dimensional...way too easy for a good run D to shut that down and force the hand.

So that sums up our offense...really no way I can see it being good given current limitations. Key is all about how you get better and even that is pretty limited given how "raw" the QB is (and really he wasn't ready to play...our coaches said it from day one as did the GM and their hand was forced).

Defense is okay but not great. Not enough playmakers and that is magnified when your better defenders (outside of Hicks) go down (Floyd / Danny T, especially). 3/4th of our LB corps out, including three of our 6 best guys on the defensive side of the ball. Its hard to be very good. The secondary is not near good enough to overcome a lack of pass rush (which happens when you don't have a ton of depth and lose your better pass rushers). Our best player, Hicks was also playing on one-leg.

The penalties were bad but man, Fox was dealt a really bad hand. When he's been given good hands, he's delivered. Both with Carolina / Denver. In fact, I'd argue he maximized everything he could under a Denver team led by Tim Tebow and got a lot out of Jake Delhomme in Carolina. My point is, Fox has proven to be at the least, a competent head coach, so to put all of the blame on him is just delusional. This isn't like a Trestman or someone else where you could literally say he sucked and something else would just immediate fixed it. Fox has a proven track record and is a good head coach. Great is debatable, but good is not, imo.

All this said, I can see reasons why we want to go another direction long-term and if so, I still would give Fox credit for cleaning up the rot that ran very deep in the organization post-Trestman.