Mike Nugent

Connorbear

This is all on Pace, no reason to let Gould go, and then in the same week where he kicks 5 FG's and singlehandedly beats us, our newly signed kicker can't even get on the field. Pitiful.

I guarantee he was let go because Fox wanted him gone and wanted his own guy (Barth had kicked for him before).

Peace :dabears

Let's not forget Gould was coming off a disappointing yr including a game against SF where he missed 2 kicks including a potential game winning chip shot and then last yr in the preseason he wasn't very good either. So combination of him not producing like he once did and his contract made him expendable. Granted hindsight is 20-20 and the move looks attrocious. I don't blame the staff for letting him go at the time however with that said you simply can't allow a kicker to hurt you almost every game and then continue to stick with it until it's too late like we did with Barth. Moving on from Gould is 1 thing but sticking with Barth for 1 1/2 yrs missing kicks pretty much every other week is simply inexcusable

This is all on Pace, no reason to let Gould go, and then in the same week where he kicks 5 FG's and singlehandedly beats us, our newly signed kicker can't even get on the field. Pitiful.

Gould said he was glad he was let go because he needed the motivation to get better. So if we kept him, would he have been able to find that motivation on his own? The 4 million reasons were not enough, it took getting dumped for him to get after it. Sometimes that is what it takes and in time maybe he will find his way back to the Bears.

I guarantee he was let go because Fox wanted him gone and wanted his own guy (Barth had kicked for him before).

Don’t think I buy that entirely. Pace admitted to being attracted to Barth perhaps from Fox’s endorsement but also on his being available and recently cut from New Orleans. We know how much Pace loves his NO roots.

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-b...wo-step-process

Honestly, I think it was just time. Gould wanted a boat ton of money, was missing FG's four us, at the time, and was probably a locker room issue.

I understand moving from him. What I don't understand is bringing in garbage to replace him. Barth is a guy you bring in when your kicker gets hurt. Not your #1. Why we didn't keep automatic Andy when he was in camp this season is stupid. He may even still be out there. But Heaven forbid we don't bring in a kicking has-been.

This is not remotely on Fox. Many things are. This is on Pace. He bring in the talent, no?

Great point ASHKUM...

Gould said he was glad he was let go because he needed the motivation to get better. So if we kept him, would he have been able to find that motivation on his own? The 4 million reasons were not enough, it took getting dumped for him to get after it. Sometimes that is what it takes and in time maybe he will find his way back to the Bears.

Bingo!

Let's not forget Gould was coming off a disappointing yr including a game against SF where he missed 2 kicks including a potential game winning chip shot and then last yr in the preseason he wasn't very good either. So combination of him not producing like he once did and his contract made him expendable. Granted hindsight is 20-20 and the move looks attrocious. I don't blame the staff for letting him go at the time however with that said you simply can't allow a kicker to hurt you almost every game and then continue to stick with it until it's too late like we did with Barth. Moving on from Gould is 1 thing but sticking with Barth for 1 1/2 yrs missing kicks pretty much every other week is simply inexcusable