Making a case for DE

jason

Up until he went on IR, Mitch Unrein was having a career year. In 12 games he had 1.5 sacks and 24 tackles. That's not a joke. That's his career year.

Meanwhile, Hicks has 8 sacks, 38 tackles, and is a general terror on the field.

The Bears need to upgrade Mitch Unrein more than they need to upgrade OLB. This is something I said last year. The same holds true.

I think at this point I would prefer the Bears to start with a trade down then...

1. Mike McGlinchey, OT, ND - Could start LT or RT, whichever.

2. Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame - Great size and speed. #1 immediately.

2. Da'Shawn Hand, DE, Bama - He's got incredible strength and could be a steal

3. Lorenzo Carter, 3-4OLB, Georgia - Floyd clone.

I would like that start because it gets DE in order before OLB. Unrein needs a replacement ASAP.

Up until he went on IR, Mitch Unrein was having a career year. In 12 games he had 1.5 sacks and 24 tackles. That's not a joke. That's his career year.

The Bears need to upgrade Mitch Unrein more than they need to upgrade OLB. This is something I said last year. The same holds true.

I think at this point I would prefer the Bears to start with a trade down then...

2. Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame - Great size and speed. #1 immediately.

I would like that start because it gets DE in order before OLB. Unrein needs a replacement ASAP.

Unrein is on this team because Fox is coaching it. He will be gone next year.

Peace :dabears

Unrein's position can certainly be upgraded. The hope is that we see the upgrade come from within between Bullard, and RRH. I think Robertson-Harris has already been productive in just his first season at a new position. Long term I think he has the ability to really step into a starting role. Bullard has had some splash plays as well. Somewhere between the two I think we're ok at DE. FWIW I'd like to keep Unrein as a backup heading into next year.

I have no issues with adding competition to this spot but I don't see it as a priority.

Unrein's position can certainly be upgraded. The hope is that we see the upgrade come from within between Bullard, and RRH. I think Robertson-Harris has already been productive in just his first season at a new position. Long term I think he has the ability to really step into a starting role. Bullard has had some splash plays as well. Somewhere between the two I think we're ok at DE. FWIW I'd like to keep Unrein as a backup heading into next year.

I have no issues with adding competition to this spot but I don't see it as a priority.

I totally agree, Bullard has not started until Unrein went down and he has 20 t and 1 sack

RRH in spot minutes has 7 ts and 1 sack.

With those two young guys on the roster and expected to ascend we will not be drafting a DE in the upper few rounds.

I would argue that with Goldman's injury history we should think about adding depth to the nose tackle position before end.

If we hit the top 5 , I can see us get in the position to trade back but the farther down we drop, I see less chance with a trade back of value.

I agree with OT, but find OLB and then WR in our priority drafting spots. FAgency has some answers at WR so even though we will draft one I do not think it will be our first couple of picks .

So I say we hit the top 5 and trade back for a 2nd and extra 3rd as you do with this order.

IF we trade back in the teens, Arden Key and Clelin Ferrell are slotted as the BPA in that area so one of them.

In the second round Jets have an extra 2nd so my scenario has us trading with the Jets.

Slotted for the draft value in the early 2nd round, Orlando Brown and Martinas Rankin should be there.

Still at WR with our other 2nd round pick, Cristian Kirk and James Washington would be value picks.

In the third, There are several OTs slotted in that area of value, or also Parris Campbell the WR from OSU.

So I think we grab Orlando Brown which could start at RT day one and then in the third draft a Tryell Crosby to groom at LT and take over for Leno after the 2018 season. Also a name I like that is rated lower that may change is Kolton Miller OT.

I wanted Calais Campbell pretty bad during the off season to take that roll. He had a career year in Jax. I wouldn't mind a NT/DE if the value is there after a trade down. If anything, insurance on Goldman. I do think Bullard and RRH can do it, but Unrein should be moved down or out.