Coaching watch

Stinger226

To put a spot where we can look at all the potential future HCs..

I think Bill O'Brien might get let go this year. I think he might be a good coach going forward although his record is spotty.

Another name out of left field I would like to throw in the ring is Peyton Manning. I have heard he might get into coaching but not necessary this year.

Although he is unproven, he is a throbbing football brain, and I suspect would be a good influence on our QB for the future.

I think Bill O'Brien might get let go this year. I think he might be a good coach going forward although his record is spotty.

Another name out of left field I would like to throw in the ring is Peyton Manning. I have heard he might get into coaching but not necessary this year.

Although he is unproven, he is a throbbing football brain, and I suspect would be a good influence on our QB for the future.

Peyton would be an intriguing choice. If he were to try out coaching I could see him in Denver for some reason. And wouldn’t it be weird if Eli ended up there as the QB?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say Fox is back next year.

I've been around long enough to know Fox is not the worst coach in Bears history but we only have to go back to the Trestman to prove that wrong. I can't remember much about our coaches from the 1970's and there's a reason for that.

Anyway. Here is one rumor that is sure to spark a lot of interest including mine. He's an excellent coach and I think the organization requirements of special teams with all the changes year after year demonstrate that he is an excellent administrator. It can't be easy to always bring in new talent so quickly into your group and succeed.

http://www.thetenyardline.com/2017/12/22/f...interview-list/

Who would he bring in as coordinators? One thing is for sure, over the years he's seen a lot of good and bad so I think he has a grasp on what he'd need to be successful.

I've been around long enough to know Fox is not the worst coach in Bears history but we only have to go back to the Trestman to prove that wrong. I can't remember much about our coaches from the 1970's and there's a reason for that.

Anyway. Here is one rumor that is sure to spark a lot of interest including mine. He's an excellent coach and I think the organization requirements of special teams with all the changes year after year demonstrate that he is an excellent administrator. It can't be easy to always bring in new talent so quickly into your group and succeed.

Who would he bring in as coordinators? One thing is for sure, over the years he's seen a lot of good and bad so I think he has a grasp on what he'd need to be successful.

I think Adam was referring to the recent stat that showed Fox had a worse losing record (in his tenure as Bears HC) as did Abe Gibron. Who before that was the worst. To me though the product of a win loss record and ability to coach are different especially when you compare someone like Fox and Gibron. Fox has ‘been there, done that’ with other teams, Abe had not.

I realize that some will still insist that the game has passed Fox by but I don’t buy it. I’m still of the opinion there is something higher up that needs to change (Pace). I wouldn’t mind seeing Toub get a shot at it but I still harbor concerns for our team’s overall performance for the next few years and potentially effecting Toubs reputation because of Pace.

Don't get me wrong, I had high hopes for Trestman, but he was doomed from the beginning following Lovie with that team. That was Lovie's team and the team was already getting divisive since Cutler came aboard. Trestman was fired after going 8-8 and 5-11, yet some want to keep Fox after going 6-10, 3-13, and more than likely 5-11?

Trestman got screwed on the defensive side of the ball. The top 5 defenders in tackles were Mundy, Bostic, Fuller, Jones, and Allen. That was a pathetic defense.

And yes Alaska was correct, I was referring to record as a Bears HC.

I listen to a Bear Report podcast today and they talked about Toub quite a bit. They talked about how he values defense, so a good chance he could talk Fangio and Donatell to hang around. I would be curious of whether he would be a conservative or aggressive offensive type.

I think Adam was referring to the recent stat that showed Fox had a worse losing record (in his tenure as Bears HC) as did Abe Gibron. Who before that was the worst. To me though the product of a win loss record and ability to coach are different especially when you compare someone like Fox and Gibron. Fox has ‘been there, done that’ with other teams, Abe had not.

I realize that some will still insist that the game has passed Fox by but I don’t buy it. I’m still of the opinion there is something higher up that needs to change (Pace). I wouldn’t mind seeing Toub get a shot at it but I still harbor concerns for our team’s overall performance for the next few years and potentially effecting Toubs reputation because of Pace.

It doesnt matter if the game has passed him by or not, this a performance based league and he hasnt won.

I think Fox can still be a good coach somewhere, just not in Chicago. Everyone was expecting that bump that his other teams saw in their 2nd-3rd year, and it never happened here.

Since they have started the 16 game schedule in 1978, our worst 3-year stretch was 97-99 (2 HC's) where we won a total of 14 games in 3 years. Right now we have won 13 games with Fox with 2 games remaining. So more than likely he will tie the worst 3 year stretch in team history (that is how far we have fallen). Our 3 wins last year was the worst season since 1969 (1-13).

If you look at 4-year stretches, our worst was also 97-2000 where we won a total of 19 games in 4 years. If you lump Trestman's last year into this, we have 18 wins with 2 games left. Again, we will more than likely tie our worst 4-year stretch.

Don't get me wrong, I had high hopes for Trestman, but he was doomed from the beginning following Lovie with that team. That was Lovie's team and the team was already getting divisive since Cutler came aboard. Trestman was fired after going 8-8 and 5-11, yet some want to keep Fox after going 6-10, 3-13, and more than likely 5-11?

Trestman got screwed on the defensive side of the ball. The top 5 defenders in tackles were Mundy, Bostic, Fuller, Jones, and Allen. That was a pathetic defense.

Agree. I’ve always said Love was overrated and just happened to fall into some one in a lifetime talent that perfectly fit his defense. As soon as those players began to deteriorate, it was over. He was just good enough to keep it towthef and decent. A new coach inheriting that situation has nearly no realistic chance to succeed.

I listen to a Bear Report podcast today and they talked about Toub quite a bit. They talked about how he values defense, so a good chance he could talk Fangio and Donatell to hang around. I would be curious of whether he would be a conservative or aggressive offensive type.

I would be happy with Toub, but I don't like our odds to land him. I think he is a Ballard guy and will go to Indy. Pace would really need to work some magic to lure him, imo.

Agree. I’ve always said Love was overrated and just happened to fall into some one in a lifetime talent that perfectly fit his defense. As soon as those players began to deteriorate, it was over. He was just good enough to keep it towthef and decent. A new coach inheriting that situation has nearly no realistic chance to succeed.

“...happened to fall....”. Are you kidding? Of the nine years Lovie was coach they only went below .500 three times and one was his first year with the team. He managed to get the team to the Super Bowl with the likes of Rex Grossman and nearly once more with f*#king Jay Cutler. An argument could be made that he was turning the Bucs around until they thought they needed Koetter instead. Yeah, how’s that work out for them? Lovie didn’t happen to fall into anything. Being ‘good enough’ for nine years is a far cry from where things have been since.

I don’t know how you can conceivably draw a conclusion that Trestmans failure was due to what Lovie left him. Lest I remind you only one year prior, Lovies last, the team was 10-6.

“...happened to fall....”. Are you kidding? Of the nine years Lovie was coach they only went below .500 three times and one was his first year with the team. He managed to get the team to the Super Bowl with the likes of Rex Grossman and nearly once more with f*#king Jay Cutler. An argument could be made that he was turning the Bucs around until they thought they needed Koetter instead. Yeah, how’s that work out for them? Lovie didn’t happen to fall into anything. Being ‘good enough’ for nine years is a far cry from where things have been since.

I don’t know how you can conceivably draw a conclusion that Trestmans failure was due to what Lovie left him. Lest I remind you only one year prior, Lovies last, the team was 10-6.

I think Lovie was a good coach, but not a great one, Coaches that consistently get to the post season, defines the coach, IMO

He may have the worst record but his teams are far better prepared than what Trestman was putting on the field. As soon as he had to rely on Trubisky this year, and that was pretty much right after we all saw game 1 of the preseason with Glennon, he was set to lose his job. He's not a perfect coach, they don't exist but he has changed the culture of this team and players are still playing hard out there late in this season. That was clearly not the case when Trestman was in his last four games as our HC.

I was too young to remember much about the Gibron era. We lost, a lot. That much I remember but it seems like we at least had a hard hitting defense even if they couldn't really stop anyone. That was actually when I started to become a football fan and to this day I still love a hard hitting defense. It is interesting to look back at history a bit. I still feel like Fox has put together a much better foundation that what Gibron or Trestman left behind. Those guys left complete rebuilds, not just from a talent level as the GM is involved there as well, but also from a locker room leadership view point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abe_Gibron

"It was initially thought that Gibron would make good on his promise to deliver a championship to Chicago; he was regarded as one of the best line coaches in the game. However, he inherited a Bears team in the midst of a generational transition.[2] Running back Gale Sayers, who had anchored Chicago's offense during the mid- to late-1960s, had suffered two knee injuries and was forced to retire during training camp in 1972.[2] Star linebacker Dick Butkus was also hobbled by knee injuries and had to retire nine games into the 1973 season.[2] Quarterback Bobby Douglass ran for 968 yards in 1972, setting an NFL record for quarterbacks, but passed for only 1,246 yards.[2] In his three seasons, the Bears compiled an 11–30–1 record, finishing last in the NFC Central each time.[2][46][47][48] His .268 winning percentage is the worst for a non-interim coach in Bears history.[49] Gibron was fired two days after the final game of the 1974 NFL season.[50] Halas hired Jim Finks as the Bears' general manager in 1974 to formulate a new strategy following the 4–10 record the Bears compiled in Gibron's last season.[2] Chicago had the fourth overall pick in the 1975 NFL Draft, using it to select future all-time rushing leader Walter Payton.[2]

I would be happy with Toub, but I don't like our odds to land him. I think he is a Ballard guy and will go to Indy. Pace would really need to work some magic to lure him, imo.

Both Chicago and INdy have young GMs. Pace has more of a track record to date for sure but Toub does know Ballard personally. I think if offers are similar then Toub will look at ownership and how that affects things. Given his long tenure here I think Chicago wins out. He'll also have more time here to get the team up to speed. Of course the Colts have Andrew Luck but it's not a given anymore what that means with his injury and poor record of bad INTs. On the other side he's got a D that is already top 10 and with several key young players in place. What does defense win? In those Lovie years it won a lot.

I think it's highly likely he'd work to keep Fangio here if he were given the HC job. For OC I think we'd see someone from the Andy Reid coaching tree, but I have no clue who would be on that list. Despite all their years working together I can't see him pursuing anyone from the Lovie Smith coaching tree for OC.

Apparently there are rumors that Captain Jack Del Rio is in jeapordy of losing his job. Talk about a sweet deal to walk into if that be the case. They have star quality players all over the place if they can just manage to keep Carr healthy. And no I’m not suggesting Del Rio become the next HC, just interesting should someone like Toub be considered. He could make a name for himself with a team already primed like the Raiders.

Apparently there are rumors that Captain Jack Del Rio is in jeapordy of losing his job. Talk about a sweet deal to walk into if that be the case. They have star quality players all over the place if they can just manage to keep Carr healthy. And no I’m not suggesting Del Rio become the next HC, just interesting should someone like Toub be considered. He could make a name for himself with a team already primed like the Raiders.

They would be a lot interested but I think the fact he lived here for 10 years is a plus, and I think the ownership always treated their coaches well, so we have a couple of traits he may like. Mainly like AZ stated, the defense is already primed for a good future and who the hell wants to live in Cleve or Oakland, cesspools.

I didn't say Trestman's failure was solely because of Lovie, but that team was deteriorating rapidly and would have stunk even if Smith stuck around.

The true intent was that Lovie's success was in large part due to the fact that he inherited a team with Brian Urlacher, Charles Tillman, and Mike Brown. Without Urlacher's range and ability at MLB, which revolutionized the NFL forever, Lovie's D was never the same. Without Mike Brown's highly underrated abilities at safety, the D doesn't work as well. And without Charles Tillman turning into maybe the most prolific fumble-creator in NFL history, the team is not the same. It was just incredible fortune for such a limited defensive scheme that gets exposed over and over when ideal players aren't in the game. On top of all that, he completely lucked into Hester, the best return man in history, because of Sadowski and Angelo.

Furthermore, he was essentially a .500 coach who probably would have actually won a Super Bowl (or two!) if he could actually make in-game adjustments or gave more than a passing thought to the offensive side of the ball. The defense couldn't stop the Colts from running, and gave up an all-too-frequent long bomb to an uncovered receiver, in the first Super Bowl. What's more, the 2010 Championship loss versus the packers only accentuates Smith's flaws because the Bears were forced to play three quarterbacks after their horrendous line, that gave up more sacks than any other team on the year, pretty much made Cutler a shell of his former self and got him hurt. Last but not least, remember that Hanie (under pressure) was the guy who threw the pick-6 to BJ Raji that essentially ended the game. They should have won that game but their offense sucked, regardless of the QB.

I'll meet you in the middle. I wouldn't mind seeing Lovie return...as the defensive coordinator. His players DO love him and play hard for him.

Both Chicago and INdy have young GMs. Pace has more of a track record to date for sure but Toub does know Ballard personally. I think if offers are similar then Toub will look at ownership and how that affects things. Given his long tenure here I think Chicago wins out. He'll also have more time here to get the team up to speed. Of course the Colts have Andrew Luck but it's not a given anymore what that means with his injury and poor record of bad INTs. On the other side he's got a D that is already top 10 and with several key young players in place. What does defense win? In those Lovie years it won a lot.

I think it's highly likely he'd work to keep Fangio here if he were given the HC job. For OC I think we'd see someone from the Andy Reid coaching tree, but I have no clue who would be on that list. Despite all their years working together I can't see him pursuing anyone from the Lovie Smith coaching tree for OC.

The sad part is if the Bears went with Ballard instead of Emery, he might have gone with Toub as HC. Chances are Bruce Arians would have won out, but Toub may have stayed as ST coach. The process the Bears went through with Emery, I feel turned some coaches feelings away from the Bears. Time has passed, so hopefully it won't affect Toub, if we pursue him.

I'll meet you in the middle. I wouldn't mind seeing Lovie return...as the defensive coordinator. His players DO love him and play hard for him.

I miss the old argumentative Jason...lol (not really).

Ok. I’d be down with that but I still would like to see what he can do at Illinois. Even though he’s in the Big 10 where the beloved Huskers play. But you’re right; both he and Fox (I believe) have that true old school ‘rah-rah’ coaching ability.

I miss the old argumentative Jason...lol (not really).

Ok. I’d be down with that but I still would like to see what he can do at Illinois. Even though he’s in the Big 10 where the beloved Huskers play. But you’re right; both he and Fox (I believe) have that true old school ‘rah-rah’ coaching ability.

That was actually the one thing I liked about him. His players loved him and fought for him. And if he were still the coach the Bears would have kept Urlacher for one more year like they should have. But he's not a very good head coach because he can't make in-game adjustments, even to the defense he's supposed to know inside & out. And he apparently hates offense.

BTW - He's not going to do anything at Illinois. They are middle of the pack in the Big 10, at best. And pretty much always will be.

I would be all over Bill O’Brien. That would be a hire.

Toub would be a good head coach. Would be curious to see who he would bring in as coordinators.