Draft QB Needs

adam

Crazy to think about how the 2017 and now the 2018 draft will play out. Cleveland passes on Trubisky and Watson, but gets the Texans 1st rounder this year. No way they envisioned the Texans would be worse and their rookie QB lost for the year with an injury. The Texans look to be in bad shape. They do not have a 1st rounder, and who knows what Watson looks like after injury.

Cleveland looks bad on one hand (for passing on Tru and Watson) but brilliant on the other hand, now having two top 5 picks (which they will ultimately mess up). So they could end up with Garrett, a top tier QB prospect and another top tier prospect (like Barkley).

So who needs a QB?

1. Browns - Yes

2. Giants - Yes

3. Colts - No (assuming Luck is healthy)

4. Bucs - No

5. Browns - No (assuming they took one at #1)

6. Broncos - Yes (but hopefully in the Cousins sweepstakes, or they like Osweiler)

7. 49ers - No (unless they don't re-sign or franchise Garappolo)

8. Jets - Yes

9. Bears - No (we have our savior)

10. Bengals - No

11. Dolphins - No (assuming Tannehill is healthy)

12. Raiders - No

13. Cardinals - Yes

14. Packers - No

15. Redskins - Maybe (depends on Cousins)

16. Lions - No

17. Cowboys - No

18. Bills - Maybe

Teams that will be in the hunt for a QB drafting before the Bears: Browns, Giants, Broncos, and Jets. So there is potential that 3x QB's go before the Bears pick and Barkley to either Colts, Bucs, Browns, or 49ers. At the 9th pick, we could have the 5th best player available (other than QB/RB), which will be sweet. I don't know if we trade down from there.

Also, the 9th slot seems too late (following the Jets pick) to pick a top tier QB. The teams that need one have already picked, so I don't know if jumping to 9 will be beneficial to anyone below (Cards, Skins, Bills). This would obviously change if the Jets didn't go QB, leaving one on the board, but again, all teams would need to do is get in front of the Cards. So #9 still seems like it wouldn't be a likely trade destination for a team looking for a QB. Rosen's decision will also play into this.

Just for fun, here is what some trades would look like if we moved down, are any of these worth it?

#9 = #13 + 3rd rounder - deal w/ Cards

#9 = #15 + 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounder - deal w/ Redskins

#9 = #18 + 2nd, 5th, and 7th rounder - deal w/ Bills

Crazy to think about how the 2017 and now the 2018 draft will play out. Cleveland passes on Trubisky and Watson, but gets the Texans 1st rounder this year. No way they envisioned the Texans would be worse and their rookie QB lost for the year with an injury. The Texans look to be in bad shape. They do not have a 1st rounder, and who knows what Watson looks like after injury.

Cleveland looks bad on one hand (for passing on Tru and Watson) but brilliant on the other hand, now having two top 5 picks (which they will ultimately mess up). So they could end up with Garrett, a top tier QB prospect and another top tier prospect (like Barkley).

So who needs a QB?

1. Browns - Yes

2. Giants - Yes

4. Bucs - No

6. Broncos - Yes (but hopefully in the Cousins sweepstakes, or they like Osweiler)

8. Jets - Yes

10. Bengals - No

12. Raiders - No

13. Cardinals - Yes

14. Packers - No

16. Lions - No

17. Cowboys - No

18. Bills - Maybe

Teams that will be in the hunt for a QB drafting before the Bears: Browns, Giants, Broncos, and Jets. So there is potential that 3x QB's go before the Bears pick and Barkley to either Colts, Bucs, Browns, or 49ers. At the 9th pick, we could have the 5th best player available (other than QB/RB), which will be sweet. I don't know if we trade down from there.

Also, the 9th slot seems too late (following the Jets pick) to pick a top tier QB. The teams that need one have already picked, so I don't know if jumping to 9 will be beneficial to anyone below (Cards, Skins, Bills). This would obviously change if the Jets didn't go QB, leaving one on the board, but again, all teams would need to do is get in front of the Cards. So #9 still seems like it wouldn't be a likely trade destination for a team looking for a QB. Rosen's decision will also play into this.

Just for fun, here is what some trades would look like if we moved down, are any of these worth it?

Two things: not sure that Trubisky is the ‘savior’... not yet anyhow. Still probably don’t need to draft a Qb in the first few rounds though. Since this is a QB heavy draft upcoming; might not be a bad idea to get one in the 6th or 7th round. Pace loves D2 players so maybe there’s one to be found there (think Wentz or Flacco without all the hype).

And I’d bet GB is thinking of drafting a QB sooner than later. Hundley looks like hot garbage and Rodgers will be coming back from an injury to his throwing shoulder...and he’ll be 35 next year.

In other news; I’m seeing several teams are saying Rodgers should be released due to the Packers violating some obscure IR rule. Weird...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-t...-about-ir-move/

Two things: not sure that Trubisky is the ‘savior’... not yet anyhow. Still probably don’t need to draft a Qb in the first few rounds though. Since this is a QB heavy draft upcoming; might not be a bad idea to get one in the 6th or 7th round. Pace loves D2 players so maybe there’s one to be found there (think Wentz or Flacco without all the hype).

And I’d bet GB is thinking of drafting a QB sooner than later. Hundley looks like hot garbage and Rodgers will be coming back from an injury to his throwing shoulder...and he’ll be 35 next year.

In other news; I’m seeing several teams are saying Rodgers should be released due to the Packers violating some obscure IR rule. Weird...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-t...-about-ir-move/

The savior thing was a joke. I agree on everything you said. If there is an intriguing pick in the later rounds, why not.

Hundley is definitely not the answer, and yes, they technically violated the rule and he should have to clear waivers. It won't happen, but definitely something they need to crack down on.

The savior thing was a joke. I agree on everything you said. If there is an intriguing pick in the later rounds, why not.

Hundley is definitely not the answer, and yes, they technically violated the rule and he should have to clear waivers. It won't happen, but definitely something they need to crack down on.

The Pack should be made to give up a draft pick. You can't have a rule and not enforce it.

Peace :dabears

I think the Steelers we gonig to be in line to move up to grab a QB, as big Ben will soon retire.

So who needs a QB?

1. Browns - Yes

2. Giants - Yes

4. Bucs - No

8. Jets - Yes

10. Bengals - No

12. Raiders - No

13. Cardinals - Yes

14. Packers - No

16. Lions - No

17. Cowboys - No

18. Bills - Maybe

out of those I see the Cards making the most logical, I have heard they like Josh Allen and he should still be there. The only thing is, I think most teams will be more likely to more up higher to make sure they get there guy.

So who needs a QB?

1. Browns - Yes

2. Giants - Yes

4. Bucs - No

8. Jets - Yes

10. Bengals - No

12. Raiders - No

13. Cardinals - Yes

14. Packers - No

16. Lions - No

17. Cowboys - No

18. Bills - Maybe

Good analysis. If 4 QBs go ahead us that would mean a top talent at another position is likely to be there when we pick. That may help us trade back. It is still not certain that Darnold enters the draft and all of the QB prospects behind Rosen have a lot more question marks. That won't stop the frenzy but, assuming Rosen is gone, it could mean that the Giants don't draft a QB at #2 as expected. There would be nothing wrong with a new GM giving Eli Manning another year or two before bringing in the new QB talent. It certainly gives the team a better chance to win early than a rookie QB will. The frenzy then takes place between picks 6-10 and so it's still possible we trade back with someone like AZ, Buffalo, and even the Steelers.

Let's talk Pitt for a min. If Ben walks away after this season they will have a team all set to compete for in the playoffs minus one piece: QB. They will be drafting late first. If they offer us 2018 #28, #60 2nd, #92 3rd, plus their 2019 1st Rd pick do you take it? I would.

I don't think Pitt would try to trade up that far, I'm just curious if fans are willing to trade back that far.

Good analysis. If 4 QBs go ahead us that would mean a top talent at another position is likely to be there when we pick. That may help us trade back. It is still not certain that Darnold enters the draft and all of the QB prospects behind Rosen have a lot more question marks. That won't stop the frenzy but, assuming Rosen is gone, it could mean that the Giants don't draft a QB at #2 as expected. There would be nothing wrong with a new GM giving Eli Manning another year or two before bringing in the new QB talent. It certainly gives the team a better chance to win early than a rookie QB will. The frenzy then takes place between picks 6-10 and so it's still possible we trade back with someone like AZ, Buffalo, and even the Steelers.

Let's talk Pitt for a min. If Ben walks away after this season they will have a team all set to compete for in the playoffs minus one piece: QB. They will be drafting late first. If they offer us 2018 #28, #60 2nd, #92 3rd, plus their 2019 1st Rd pick do you take it? I would.

I don't think Pitt would try to trade up that far, I'm just curious if fans are willing to trade back that far.

I think that works minus the 2019 pick, at 9 it just doesnt carry as much value as the top of the draft.

So who needs a QB?

1. Browns - Yes

2. Giants - Yes

4. Bucs - No

8. Jets - Yes

10. Bengals - No

12. Raiders - No

13. Cardinals - Yes

14. Packers - No

16. Lions - No

17. Cowboys - No

18. Bills - Maybe

It would be a Christmas gift if the Broncos, 49ers, and Jets win their last game and we slide into the 6th slot. Even at 8 or 9, there is still a chance we are in position to trade down. Last year the second wave of trades started at pick 10 for Mahomes. I think the only position that will be a must draft for the Bears is OLB, they may not be able to trade down and risk losing out on a top talent. Chubb will be long gone, but Key and Landrey might be there. It will be a fun offseason as we sort out players and scenarios.

I think that works minus the 2019 pick, at 9 it just doesnt carry as much value as the top of the draft.

I added up the points: 1350 value for #9 and with Pitt drafting so late the point value of their picks isn't very high. Next years' draft picks are generally valued as one round lower so that's swapping our first round picks and in exchange two second rd picks plus a 3rd. They really can't get enough value to us this year without using next years' first. Or they give us next 2019 2nd/3rd but two years in a row with very few draft picks is hard on any team.

There is a blue print for this deal: KC traded up from #27 to #10 for Mahomes. Giving up 1st Rd picks in 2017/2018 plus a 2017 3rd but Buffalo came up ~140pts shy of the trade chart values. I don't want to come up short on value and I figure anyone that interested in moving into the top 10 from the end of the 1st Rd is coming to the table highly motivated to make the deal.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2017-nf...lo-bills-042717

This is a great thread idea. I like the deal with the Redskins.

I'd prefer this one to any of the three deals above. That sets up Trubisky's third year, when rookies are supposed to really take the leap.

It would be a Christmas gift if the Broncos, 49ers, and Jets win their last game and we slide into the 6th slot. Even at 8 or 9, there is still a chance we are in position to trade down. Last year the second wave of trades started at pick 10 for Mahomes. I think the only position that will be a must draft for the Bears is OLB, they may not be able to trade down and risk losing out on a top talent. Chubb will be long gone, but Key and Landrey might be there. It will be a fun offseason as we sort out players and scenarios.

Absolutely disagree. 3-4DE is an absolute must draft, and so is OT. To make the leap, the Bears need to drastically improve both positions.

I added up the points: 1350 value for #9 and with Pitt drafting so late the point value of their picks isn't very high. Next years' draft picks are generally valued as one round lower so that's swapping our first round picks and in exchange two second rd picks plus a 3rd. They really can't get enough value to us this year without using next years' first. Or they give us next 2019 2nd/3rd but two years in a row with very few draft picks is hard on any team.

There is a blue print for this deal: KC traded up from #27 to #10 for Mahomes. Giving up 1st Rd picks in 2017/2018 plus a 2017 3rd but Buffalo came up ~140pts shy of the trade chart values. I don't want to come up short on value and I figure anyone that interested in moving into the top 10 from the end of the 1st Rd is coming to the table highly motivated to make the deal.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2017-nf...lo-bills-042717

Yeah, I didn't include any playoff teams as we don't know where they will draft. If Pittsburgh even wins one playoff game, they are looking at picking 29-32. They would have to give up more than what KC did to move to #9. That's why I think if teams are looking to move up, they will do it to get in front of the Jets or Cards. So the #9 spot is not really ideal for either of those scenarios.

Also, Rosen's decision will have ripple effects on this as well. If he doesn't come out, then that is one less QB going in the top 10.

Yeah, I didn't include any playoff teams as we don't know where they will draft. If Pittsburgh even wins one playoff game, they are looking at picking 29-32. They would have to give up more than what KC did to move to #9. That's why I think if teams are looking to move up, they will do it to get in front of the Jets or Cards. So the #9 spot is not really ideal for either of those scenarios.

Also, Rosen's decision will have ripple effects on this as well. If he doesn't come out, then that is one less QB going in the top 10.

Rosen is not going to walk away from $30mil.

Absolutely disagree. 3-4DE is an absolute must draft, and so is OT. To make the leap, the Bears need to drastically improve both positions.

OLB depth chart:

Pernell McPhee - 2018 we owe 8 million. 2019 we owe 8.5million. We cut and save 15.5 million

Willie Young - 2018 we owe 5.4million. 4.5 million cap savings if cut.

Sam Acho - Free Agent

Leonard Floyd-2021 free agent.

Christian Jones - Free Agent

Howard Jones - Free Agent

Lamar Houston - Free Agent (still on the hook for 900,000 dead cap in 2018)

Depends on how they view McPhee and Willie Young, I'd say we need 2 or 3 OLB's. It doesn't look too promising in FA, so I assume they dig early in the draft for one. OT will also be huge in the draft, but DE could be found in FA or late in the draft. I would assume they target a WR early also.

Looking at moving to the #7 pick, that adds 150 pts to our draft value compared to #9 (equivalent to a late 3rd round pick).

Trades would look like more this:

#7 = #13 + 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounder - deal w/ Cards

#7 + 6th rounder = #14 + 2nd rounder - deal w/ Redskins

#7 = #17 + 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rounder - deal w/ Bills

OR

#7 = #25 + 2nd Rounder and 1st Rounder in 2019 - deal w/ Bills

#7 = #29 + 2nd, 3rd , 4th rounder and 1st and 3rd Rounder in 2019 - deal w/ Steelers

To me, the Steelers deal is too rich for them. So I think they are out.

The Bills look like the most likely to move up since they have KC's first rounder which is currently projected at #25. So they could move up to #7 (to get in front of Denver) to get their QB, give up #17, but then trade out of #25 to recoup picks they lose to move up. A second option is for them to keep #17, but give us #25, their 2nd rounder this year, and their first rounder in 2019. I think they would be better off going with their first option.

OLB depth chart:

Pernell McPhee - 2018 we owe 8 million. 2019 we owe 8.5million. We cut and save 15.5 million

Willie Young - 2018 we owe 5.4million. 4.5 million cap savings if cut.

Sam Acho - Free Agent

Leonard Floyd-2021 free agent.

Christian Jones - Free Agent

Howard Jones - Free Agent

Lamar Houston - Free Agent (still on the hook for 900,000 dead cap in 2018)

Depends on how they view McPhee and Willie Young, I'd say we need 2 or 3 OLB's. It doesn't look too promising in FA, so I assume they dig early in the draft for one. OT will also be huge in the draft, but DE could be found in FA or late in the draft. I would assume they target a WR early also.

I think we need to resign Jones and Houston and maybe Acho, we need to move on from McPhee and draft one with one of our first two picks.

• 4 weeks later...
The good news is that both Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield looked good at the Senior Bowl. Allen seems to have played himself into a top 10 pick but there is a good chance both end up in the top 10.

I honestly don't get the love for Allen. He's got an absolute cannon for an arm but when watching him it's like he's tries to throw everything through a damn wall causing him to be extremely inaccurate. Inaccuracies dogged him throughout college and continued into the senior bowl. Do I dare compare his skill set to that is a Cutler

This is a great thread idea. I like the deal with the Redskins.

I'd prefer this one to any of the three deals above. That sets up Trubisky's third year, when rookies are supposed to really take the leap.

I seen a scenario where there they draft Q Nelson and play him at RT his first year and keep Sitton one more year. If Longs injuries get the best you have Morgan waiting in the wings. Then address RT next year.

I honestly don't get the love for Allen. He's got an absolute cannon for an arm but when watching him it's like he's tries to throw everything through a damn wall causing him to be extremely inaccurate. Inaccuracies dogged him throughout college and continued into the senior bowl. Do I dare compare his skill set to that is a Cutler

Teams takes risks on QBs in every draft. He has done enough to warrant taking a chance. To many teams with QB needs.

Watch his TD throws after a few days with NFL coaching and you'll see why his draft stock improved.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/957416788542742528

Watch his TD throws after a few days with NFL coaching and you'll see why his draft stock improved.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/957416788542742528

Don't get me wrong I'm not doubting his talent to play at the next level. He has such a golden arm it makes everyone fall in love with him. I'm mainly questioning his accuracy. Which from what I'm hearing so Is everyone else. He definitely needs to be groomed a lot to learn when he needs to display touch and when to rifle it in there