Head Coach Rumors

Chitownhustla

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to throw out a guy that may be too old to consider for HC or even OC. Carl "Tater" Smith. He'll be 70 this year.

He has a vast coaching experienc, over 45 years, including many years as a QB coach, OC, and a few as assistant head coach.

The HC or OC, and QB combo could be known as Biscuit and Taters....

And did I mention, Tater has been grooming Russell Wilson since Wilson entered the NFL. I tend to see a lot of Wilson in Trubisky, and it would be nice to see the guy that brought Wilson being in charge of his development.

It's really more of on OC want of mine, but with his experience, he could be a head coach.

I was initially against McDaniels, but it looks like he has learned some good lessons and hopefully is a better person/coach. I don't think he was quite ready to handle the job in Denver.

He came out arrogant his first go round and didn't survive two full seasons. I am not sold yet, but I am intrigued. Eventually the Belichick tree needs to grow. (Belichick is part of the Parcells tree and so is Sean Payton). Bill Polian, who the Bears highly regarded when they hired Ernie Acorrsi recommends going with a HC that has had previous experience. That will avoid the coach going through a learning curve...Mcdaniels fills that void. Pace originally said he wants to have an alignment between the GM, the HC, and QB as the foundation. Gonna need a OC/QB I here imo.

Mcdaniels seems pretty logical as I connect the dots.

Here is a rundown of the last 15 years of Super Bowls, and the type of coach (1st time or retread). If you count Belichick, retreads have appeared 19 times (63.3%), and 1st time coaches 11 times (36.7%). If you exclude Bill as an anomaly, it is 12 to 11.

2nd Time Coaches (19 appearances, 11-8)

1. Bill Belichick (Patriots) 2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2012, 2015, 2017

2. Mike Shanahan (Broncos) 1998, 1999

3. Tom Coughlin (Giants) 2008, 2012

4. Dan Reeves

5. Dick Vermeil

6. Jon Gruden

7. Mike Holmgren

8. Tony Dungy

9. John Fox

10. Gary Kubiak

11. Pete Carroll

1st Time Coaches (11 appearances, 4-7)

1. Dan Quinn (Falcons) 2017

2. Ron Rivera (Panthers) 2016

3. John Harbaugh (Ravens) 2013

4. Jim Harbaugh (49ers) 2013

5. Mike McCarthy (Packers) 2011

6. Mike Tomlin (Steelers) 2011, 2009

7. Sean Payton (Saints) 2010

8. Jim Caldwell (Colts) 2010

9. Ken Whisenhunt (Cardinals) 2009

10. Lovie Smith (Bears) 2007

Credit: https://www.scout.com/Article/Identifying-t...coach-113008339

By the way, for those of you so anti Mcdaniels, I think this article is a good read and puts perspective on how he might have changed/grown up from his initial struggles. The guy is really bright and I'd be ecstatic if we hired him. That said, it has to be a good fit and him and Pace have to be on the same page. No front office / team can succeed long-term if they aren't aligned (imo).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428...-pick-his-spots

I never realized his brother was a coach on the Bears. He will have a lot of insight into the locker room and talent on the roster when he gets his interview.

Here is a rundown of the last 15 years of Super Bowls, and the type of coach (1st time or retread). If you count Belichick, retreads have appeared 19 times (63.3%), and 1st time coaches 11 times (36.7%). If you exclude Bill as an anomaly, it is 12 to 11.

2nd Time Coaches (19 appearances, 11-8)

1. Bill Belichick (Patriots) 2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2012, 2015, 2017

2. Mike Shanahan (Broncos) 1998, 1999

3. Tom Coughlin (Giants) 2008, 2012

4. Dan Reeves

5. Dick Vermeil

6. Jon Gruden

7. Mike Holmgren

8. Tony Dungy

9. John Fox

10. Gary Kubiak

11. Pete Carroll

1st Time Coaches (11 appearances, 4-7)

1. Dan Quinn (Falcons) 2017

2. Ron Rivera (Panthers) 2016

3. John Harbaugh (Ravens) 2013

4. Jim Harbaugh (49ers) 2013

5. Mike McCarthy (Packers) 2011

6. Mike Tomlin (Steelers) 2011, 2009

7. Sean Payton (Saints) 2010

8. Jim Caldwell (Colts) 2010

9. Ken Whisenhunt (Cardinals) 2009

10. Lovie Smith (Bears) 2007

Credit: https://www.scout.com/Article/Identifying-t...coach-113008339

Don't see how they have gruden as a 2nd time coach when technically he was traded from Oakland to Tampa in the infamous rant from Al Davis saying he can find another Chucky in any Walmart in America

I wouldn't mind McDaniels. I've always been more on the side that doesn't care about the details as long as the Bears win. If the Bears coach bends the rules a bit and is thought of negatively across the league, fine with me. I want wins.

What would you guys think of a college HC moving up into the Bears' picture? I'm talking about guys who have been thought of as odd balls with talent or flair. Guys who have been known to produce.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't mind a college coach if it's the right guy. Part of likes David shaw and call me crazy but personally I would like to see Pat Fitzgerald get an opportunity but Pat is probably way outside the box thinking

By the way, for those of you so anti Mcdaniels, I think this article is a good read and puts perspective on how he might have changed/grown up from his initial struggles. The guy is really bright and I'd be ecstatic if we hired him. That said, it has to be a good fit and him and Pace have to be on the same page. No front office / team can succeed long-term if they aren't aligned (imo).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428...-pick-his-spots

cheeeezus h. keeerist is pompei mcdaniels novelist/autobiographer? i've never seen an article written that long about ANYONE as a coaching candidate. is he related to mcdaniels or his agent? is he being PAID by kraft? what a load of touchy feely BS.

here are the qualifications never touched on by pompei....

1. involved in CHEATING the rams out of a win in superbowl 36 due to illegally filming rams practices.

2. was he involved in CHEATING in superbowl 38, 39, 41,45, along with belly and the pats? more than these? how much filming/cheating just to get to the superbowl OR win their division were they involved with?

3. 2010 as head coach of the broncos does the SAME thing with the SAME guy as the pats got charged with in 2007. is he completely STUPID or just a pathological CHEATER?

4. 2013 pats illegal use of IR designation for players? "Two former Patriots say the team put false information about them on official injury reports." he wouldn't know a thing about that being the offensive coordinator?

5. 2015 deflate-a-gate. again the pats were caught cheating. does ANYONE believe a ball boy whom they blamed for this took it upon himself to do this??? how could mcdaniels NOT know what was happening in their own locker room with his starting qb?

but other than those MINOR items he would be a great candidate. a pathelogical liar, learned how to CHEAT from the best and is a THIEF.

yea, i'm sure in his corner. the bears need more people in charge who have no moral or ethical standards.

What would you guys think of a college HC moving up into the Bears' picture? I'm talking about guys who have been thought of as odd balls with talent or flair. Guys who have been known to produce.

Thoughts?

Shaw or Peterson are the only two college head coaches I'd be interested in. Obviously I would do Harbaugh but that isn't happening.

I wouldn't mind McDaniels. I've always been more on the side that doesn't care about the details as long as the Bears win. If the Bears coach bends the rules a bit and is thought of negatively across the league, fine with me. I want wins.

in all seriousness... NEVER sit at a high stakes poker game in some back room. it could be hazardous to your health.

in all seriousness... NEVER sit at a high stakes poker game in some back room. it could be hazardous to your health.

I'm not sure how it relates to a potential hiring of McDaniels, but I've done what you're saying. And I lost big, but it wasn't because of my risk tolerance. I lost multiple good hands when people just had great hands, because I'm just not that lucky.

Tomorrow the Bears will interview the Vikings DC for the HC job. An interesting note on the Vikings DC is that he is a free agent at the end of the year, so the interview could be just as much about laying the ground work into potentially hiring him as a DC.

I just can't believe he would leave Minnesota to come here for the same position he currently has. Unless there's speculation Minnesota won't retain him which would be foolish

I just can't believe he would leave Minnesota to come here for the same position he currently has. Unless there's speculation Minnesota won't retain him which would be foolish

I've seen some speculate that the Bears might be wanting to move quickly on their coaching hire. This late add might be done to satisfy the Rooney rule since the earliest they can interview Wilks is next week. Of course the fact he leads an outstanding defense is absolutely reason to consider him but it seems clear he was not part of the original list Pace had put together.

It's purely speculative but for those keeping tabs the first 3 outside interviews already scheduled this week included: Shurmur (Fri), McDaniels (Fri), and DeFilippo (Sat). Now we add Edwards to the list this week.

I've seen some speculate that the Bears might be wanting to move quickly on their coaching hire. This late add might be done to satisfy the Rooney rule since the earliest they can interview Wilks is next week. Of course the fact he leads an outstanding defense is absolutely reason to consider him but it seems clear he was not part of the original list Pace had put together.

It's purely speculative but for those keeping tabs the first 3 outside interviews already scheduled this week included: Shurmur (Fri), McDaniels (Fri), and DeFilippo (Sat). Now we add Edwards to the list this week.

To build on this, Cowherd said he had heard that McDaniels was the front-runner in Chicago, Indy, and Giants and that he'll be taking one of those jobs. That said, all speculation. The thought behind Edwards hire definitely fits the narrative that they may want to move fast. Even Pace had made a comment somewhere that he trimmed his initial list so they can be swift and aggressive when they identified their guy. I think they recognize their are a lot of jobs out there and quite frankly a lot of them are pretty attractive and with that, strategy to how you get your target candidate becomes key (since he might be the top guy on a couple other teams lists).

I also always think this is a good time for Pace to just get insights on the team and someone from within the division (such as Edwards) should provide good nuggets during the interview on the team. I also go back to the fact that he's a free agent and if we go with an offensive minded head coach, having some dialogue now could smooth the wheels to offering a big contract when said coach becomes a free agent. Same could be said with Defillippo (who is a free agent).

The early rumors are that the Bears are going to make a strong push to retain Fangio, which pushes me to think we are going for an offensive guy; That said, I think all of that is premature since we haven't even met with an external coach yet.

My preference would be Defillippo. I just have a good feeling he could develop Mitch, which is a huge concern.

Totally agree. I like bed watching the videos that have circulated of him breaking down plays from an X's and O's standpoint. Really loved his demeanor and how thorough he was with the plays